The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA 2014-2015 Regular Season Thread
denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 10-31-2014 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NBA 2014-2015 Regular Season Thread

I tried this a couple of years ago, but I think there might be enough basketball lovers to make this work. Let's talk NBA!

A few early points:

- OKC has lost Durant AND Westbrook for large chunks of the season. They just seem snakebit.

- The Lakers suck. Do they dare try to trade Kobe?

- Derrick Rose is back. He doesn't look great so far, but he might work back to that level. Chicago might be able to contend against Cleveland if he's healthy.

- Teams like Dallas and San Antonio are getting older. Dallas is past done as a contender, but like the Lakers with Kobe, I wonder if Cuban dangles Nowitski as trade bait. This is probably the Spurs' last year as a title contender (although I said that last year, too).

- The Clips will be badass, and with OKC banged up, they really have a shot to go very far in the playoffs.

- I'm looking forward to seeing the Miami Heat flounder without James.

- Any surprises this year? The Wizards, Knicks, and Grizzlies all might make some more noise. It will also be interesting to see if Phoenix can keep up what they built last year.

[Edited on 10-31-2014 by denverpunk]

dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 137
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2014 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Lakers don't have the stones to trade Kobe. I think after opening night, Kobe realized how terrible that team is, and will be gunning the rest of the season trying to creep closer to Karl Malone and Abdul-Jabbar's all time scoring record. At least until he has another crippling injury.

The Spurs are ageless, they're always the favorite in the west until Duncan and Pop retire, which will probably be after this season. Can't really count Dallas out either, Rick Carlisle is "Popovich-lite," and has Monta Ellis playing out of his mind, and they always have Nowitski. But the west is tough, there will be really, really good teams that miss the playoffs because of that.

Don't forget that Chris Bosh is legit one of the best players in the league. he threw up a 26-15-4 on opening night, and averaged 24-11 in his last season before he sacrificed stats to win championships. Miami lives and dies on Dwyane Wade's health though, and i'm not sold on him yet.

Didn't mean to go point/counterpoint on that! I'm so glad the season has started back up! I really hope that Charles Barkley is done with the color commentary for the season, I love him on the halftime/post-game show with Ernie and the gang, not so much when he's trying to call a game.

One last thing: the Knicks suck. They have 2 legitimate NBA players on their roster and they're trying to run one of the most complex offenses ever used in the NBA. They'll show flashes this year, maybe even win 25 games. Next offseason, when they have some cap flexibility, Phil will make some real moves and get Triangle-friendly players. Then they'll make some noise.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8000
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-31-2014 at 06:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's really point in trading Kobe. He's the only one people are gonna pay to see nowadays, and I doubt what we'd get in return wouldn't be worth the trade. Plus, it isn't like he's some guy like Karl Malone, who had an amazing career and needed to go someplace at the end to try and get a ring (which didn't work when he came here, either).

I actually kinda wish Derek Fisher had gotten the Lakers job. I like Byron Scott and all, but Fisher would've been fun.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 10-31-2014 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dRob78

Don't forget that Chris Bosh is legit one of the best players in the league. he threw up a 26-15-4 on opening night, and averaged 24-11 in his last season before he sacrificed stats to win championships. Miami lives and dies on Dwyane Wade's health though, and i'm not sold on him yet.

This is exactly why the Heat are destined to lose in Round 2 to the Wizards. Wade seemed like he was hurt all year last year, but they had Lebron to carry the team. If he's hurt for any substantial amount of time, then Bosh can't do it all himself with that bench. I can't remember that last time Wade was 100% in the playoffs.

quote:

Didn't mean to go point/counterpoint on that! I'm so glad the season has started back up! I really hope that Charles Barkley is done with the color commentary for the season, I love him on the halftime/post-game show with Ernie and the gang, not so much when he's trying to call a game.

All good! I'm hoping we get more point/counterpoint and that this turns into a healthy thread. I love the NBA and love discussing it.

quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore

There's really point in trading Kobe. He's the only one people are gonna pay to see nowadays, and I doubt what we'd get in return wouldn't be worth the trade. Plus, it isn't like he's some guy like Karl Malone, who had an amazing career and needed to go someplace at the end to try and get a ring (which didn't work when he came here, either).

Unless if Kobe might want to go. He's shown no inclination of that yet, but given how competitive he is, he might want a last real run with a contender. You couldn't get a first rounder for him now, but maybe some solid younger players to build around. Although, you're right about Kobe being the only reason to go to the Lakers right now, especially with the Clips being the new hot team. That said, people really don't like Kobe much, so that might not be a selling point either.

Speaking of Bryant, I loved seeing him get in Dwight Howard's face the other night and calling him soft. Good times.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8000
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 10-31-2014 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk

That said, people really don't like Kobe much, so that might not be a selling point either.

That may be true in other places, but he's still loved here in So Cal.

Is everyone mad here?

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 10-31-2014 at 07:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

That may be true in other places, but he's still loved here in So Cal.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I was talking about other players.

[Edited on 10-31-2014 by denverpunk]

CVD39
Fella

Posts 312
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2014 at 09:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's a 1% chance Kobe gets traded. There's a 0% chance Dirk gets traded.

quote:
Speaking of Bryant, I loved seeing him get in Dwight Howard's face the other night and calling him soft. Good times.

He fouled a guy (that didn't want to put up with his dick attitude - then again, nobody wants to put up with his dick attitude; see: no free agents worth a damn are signing there), the guy swatted him away, ref stepped in, Kobe just talked. And talked. And talked. That's all he's done for the past few years. Well, that and injuring body parts.

Look, I actually really like Kobe's attitude and I wish more players had his ruthlessness and no excuses/win at all cost attitude, but let's be real, Dirk and Duncan have that win at all cost attitude this late in their careers by taking huge pay cuts. Kobe still has that "Me first and if you don't win with me you won't be able to win without me" attitude these days and it's starting to ruin their franchise. They'll be fine a few years after he's gone though, but I wouldn't have hopes for the playoffs, let alone banners for the next five years if I was a Lakers fan.

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 11-26-2014 at 09:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was at the Denver-Chicago game last night. Fun times, with a lot of Bulls fans showing up for the road game, but Derrick Rose played for 10 minutes. It's pretty clear to me that he's never going to be the same guy that won the MVP. I'm not convinced that he'll play past this current contract.
denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 5-11-2015 at 04:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know nobody here is too into the NBA, but if you haven't been watching the playoffs this year, you're missing out. We've had THREE buzzer beaters in the past three days:

Not to mention the amazing Spurs/Clippers series in Round 1, and the fact that the Golden State is about to be punched out by some Memphis goons. Every team is hurt (except for the Warriors, coincidentally), and every team is playing intense, scrappy ball. Drama, baby.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11963
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 5-11-2015 at 09:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Those last two Cavs/Bulls games have been pretty awesome.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 137
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-12-2015 at 03:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Paul, did you call bank there?" "i called GAME." Paul Pierce is great.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6581
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 5-17-2015 at 03:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking forward to the Clippers/Rockets game tomorrow, just to see if the Clippers will cap off one of the bigger collapses in NBA playoff history.

And even though I hated the Heat when Lebron was on the team, I find myself weirdly rooting for Cleveland in the playoffs. I'll probably be going for Golden State out of the teams that are left, but I think it would be a really nice story if Lebron was able to return home and bring a championship to championship-starved Cleveland.

CVD39
Fella

Posts 312
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-17-2015 at 08:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm a Rocket fan but I wouldn't be surprised with anything happening in 12 hours. Close or a blow out either way, I have no idea. If the Rockets don't make it, then I guess I'd like the Warriors to win it to up Draymond Green's asking price next year. He'll get the first extension Max unless they shit the bed early in the WCF. Plus, I just don't like Chris Paul's attitude. He and DJ stomping around when they're mad is pretty funny but also pretty lame. Atlanta is boring and, while I like LeBron after him getting pooped on for literally doing nothing wrong but talking a big game ("Not one, not two......." Who cares?), I really don't want Dan Gilbert winning shit. Fuck that guy.

So I guess it's the Dubs if the Rockets lose tomorrow.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8000
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 5-17-2015 at 04:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Clips are fucking done. They had the series wrapped up, and all they had to do was not horribly fuck up in the 4th quarter. Teams never come back from collapses like that, I don't care what sport it is. Plus, Houston is at home... they're gonna win.

So basically, I'm gonna support whoever comes out of the East. I can't stand Dwight Howard, and I hope he never wins anything, ever. And fuck Golden State.

Is everyone mad here?

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 5-18-2015 at 05:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
The Clips are fucking done. They had the series wrapped up, and all they had to do was not horribly fuck up in the 4th quarter. Teams never come back from collapses like that, I don't care what sport it is. Plus, Houston is at home... they're gonna win.

So basically, I'm gonna support whoever comes out of the East. I can't stand Dwight Howard, and I hope he never wins anything, ever. And fuck Golden State.

You basically said it the way it happened. The Clips just had no chance after Game 6. They should have just forfeited and saved themselves the torture.

In the CFs, the Cavs will win, and they would win 99.9 times out of 100. There is no way that Lebron will let the fucking Hawks beat him in best-of-7 series.

Regarding the finals, I like Lebron more as a Cav than as part of the Heat, but it feels weird rooting for him. Being an Orlando fan, I will never in the history of time root for Dwight Howard doing anything other than tearing his ACL (even if I like James Harden). Anyone here know who plays for the Hawks other than maybe Al Horford and Kyle Korver? That leaves Golden State by default for me - fun to watch, and not Dwight Howard or Lebron James. I actually think GS vs. Cleveland could be a great final matchup.

[Edited on 5-18-2015 by denverpunk]

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4844
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 5-19-2015 at 01:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Anyone here know who plays for the Hawks other than maybe Al Horford and Kyle Korver?

Milsap, I think? But, yeah - the idea that there are no superstars on the Hawks makes them the team I'd most want to see win. Granted, there's a part of me that wants the Cavs to win, maybe to let Cleveland and their fans feel better about what all happened with James leaving for the Heat those years ago.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 5-20-2015 at 07:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can see the underdog appeal of the Hawks, and they could have been the anti-Heat if they had gone this far a year ago.

I wouldn't mind Cleveland winning once, and this might be the year to do it. Get the country's most snakebitten sports city out of that curse, and move on to other things. I don't see any team beating the Warriors, though - the Cavs could have with Love, but with him out and Irving gimpy, it'd be an upset win at this point.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6581
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 5-30-2015 at 07:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm gonna go ahead and say Warriors in six.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 137
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-30-2015 at 08:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Warriors in 5. They're totally healthy. The Cavs aren't. There will be one "holy shit, LEBRON JAMES" game, then the rest of the series will just be the Warriors doing Warriors things.
denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2729
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 6-5-2015 at 02:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I'm gonna go ahead and say Warriors in six.

Yup. Lebron can't guard five guys at once.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6652
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-6-2015 at 08:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Imagine what the Cavs would be like if they had a decent coach. The fact that the almost (and likely SHOULD have) won game 1 just goes to show how awesome LeBron is.

Now comes the hard part where they try and get depth by trying to sign and trade Love.

Also...how many teams have won a game in the finals with 3 of the starters from opening night in street clothes?

CVD39
Fella

Posts 312
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2015 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Warriors in 5. They're totally healthy. The Cavs aren't. There will be one "holy shit, LEBRON JAMES" game, then the rest of the series will just be the Warriors doing Warriors things.

LeBron mighta had his holy shit game already. And all for naught.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Imagine what the Cavs would be like if they had a decent coach. The fact that the almost (and likely SHOULD have) won game 1 just goes to show how awesome LeBron is.

Now comes the hard part where they try and get depth by trying to sign and trade Love.

I'm wondering if Love will opt in or out and if he feels they'll trade him, he might just opt out and pick his team and not hope he gets traded to some garbage team. Then again, he'd probably play better as the top guy and up his value for the cap rocketing summer of 2016.

quote:
Also...how many teams have won a game in the finals with 3 of the starters from opening night in street clothes?

Depends on the teams, but having a guy like LeBron is the reason with this team. I mean, the Thunder could do it if all three starters besides Durant/Westbrook went down but other than that?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6581
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2015 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With Kyrie Irving out, I think I want to revise my original prediction to Warriors in four. It's kind of a shame, just because we're not getting to see these teams playing each other at full power.

And interesting food for thought: if the Cavs score on that final possession and avoid overtime, Kyrie doesn't get injured and would be starting tonight.

dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 137
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2015 at 08:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Weren't all the reports that Kyrie was injured without contact? It sounds like his knee was more fucked up than the Cavs were letting on, and the stress of playoff basketball just took its toll.

And yeah, Warriors in 4. At this point, i think every game is going to be a "Holy Shit, Lebron" game though. And it won't be enough. JR Smith can't be your second best player if you want a championship.

dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 137
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2015 at 03:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well then. Guess we didn't figure Curry would go 2-15 from 3.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top