The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Breaks in the Lineage of the WWF/WWE Title
Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

Mood: About to change

posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Breaks in the Lineage of the WWF/WWE Title

There have been times where the lineage of the WWF/WWE title has been broken. Right now is one of those times, as Linear Champion Daniel Bryan was stripped of the title and has not been defeated since. For some reason, this was on my mind, so I took some time to research breaks and re-unifications.

Note - The Linear Championship can only change hands via pinfall or submission unless the champion loses a match in a manner which normally would cause a titleholder to lose a title (such as losing a steel cage match by escape).

Break #1
Andre the Giant surrenders title, remains linear champ (2/5/88)

Randy Savage wins vacant WWF belt vs Ted DiBiase (WMIV, 3/27/88)

Hulk Hogan defeats Andre in a steel cage to win Linear Championship (WrestleFest, 7/31/88)

Hogan defeats Savage to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (WMV, 4/2/89)

Break #2
Hogan stripped of WWF Title, remains linear champ (12/4/91)

Ric Flair, the linear WCW/NWA champ wins vacant WWF belt, unifying the linear WCW/NWA titles with the WWF belt (1992 Royal Rumble, 1/19/92)

Savage defeats Flair for the WWF belt (WMVIII, 4/5/92)

Flair defeats Savage for the WWF belt (9/1/92)

Bret Hart defeats Flair for the WWF belt (10/12/92)

Yokozuna defeats Hart for the WWF belt (WMIX, 4/4/93)

Hogan defeats Yokozuna to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (WMIX, 4/4/93)

Break #3
Shawn Michaels lost his smile and the WWF title, remains linear champ. (2/13/97)

Hart wins vacant WWF title (Final Four, 2/16/97)

Sid beats Hart for the WWF belt (RAW, 2/17/97)

Undertaker pins Sid for the WWF belt (WMXIII, 3/23/97)

Hart pins Undertaker for the WWF belt (SummerSlam, 8/3/97)

Michaels beats Hart to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (Survivor Series, 11/9/97)

Break #4
Undertaker and Kane simultaneously pin Steve Austin, splitting the linear championship between them (Breakdown, 9/27/88)

Undertaker pins Kane to re-unify the Linear Championship (Survivor Series, 11/15/98)

Rock beats Mankind to win vacant WWF title (Survivor Series, 11/15/98)

Austin beats Undertaker in a buried alive match to win Linear Championship (Rock Bottom, 12/13/98)

Mankind pins Rock for the WWF belt (RAW 12/29/98)

Rock beats Mankind in an I Quit match for the WWF belt (1999 Royal Rumble, 1/24/99)

Mankind pins Rock for the WWF belt (Halftime Heat, 1/26/99)

Rock beats Mankind for the WWF belt in a ladder match (RAW 2/15/99)

Austin pins Rock to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (WMXV, 3/28/99)

Break #5
Vince McMahon surrenders title, remaining linear champ. (9/20/99)

HHH wins vacant WWF title (Unforgiven, 9/26/99)

Big Show pins HHH for the WWF belt (Survivor Series, 11/14/99)

HHH pins McMahon to win the linear championship (Armageddon, 12/12/99)

HHH pins Big Show to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (1/3/00)

Break #6
John Cena vacates title due to injury, remains linear champ (10/2/07)

Randy Orton awarded WWF title (10/7/07)

HHH pins Orton for WWF title (10/7/07)

Orton pins HHH for WWF title (10/7/07)

Orton pins Cena to re-unify WWF and Linear Championships (WMXXIV, 3/30/08)

Break #7
Batista vacates title due to injury, remains linear champ (6/9/09)

Orton wins vacant title (RAW, 6/15/09)

Cena beats Orton for the WWF belt (Breaking Point, 9/13/09)

Orton pins Cena for the WWF belt (Hell in a Cell, 10/4/09)

Cena beats Orton for the WWF belt (Bragging Rights, 10/25/09)

Sheamus beats Cena for the WWF belt (TLC, 12/13/09)

Rey Mysterio beats Batista to win the Linear Championship (SmackDown, 12/15/09)

Undertaker beats Mysterio to unify the World Title and the Linear Championship (2010 Royal Rumble, 1/31/10)

Cena beats Sheamus for the WWF belt (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

Batista beats Cena for the WWF belt (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

Chris Jericho beats Undertaker to win the Linear Championship (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

Cena beats Batista for the WWF belt (WMXXVI, 3/28/10)

Jack Swagger beats Jericho to win the Linear Championship (SmackDown, 3/30/10)

Sheamus beats Cena for the WWF belt (Fatal 4-way, 6/20/10)

Mysterio beats Swagger to win the Linear Championship (Fatal 4-way, 6/20/10)

Kane beats Mysterio to win the Linear Championship (Money in the Bank, 7/18/10)

Orton beats Sheamus for the WWF belt (Night of Champions, 9/19/10)

Miz pins Orton for the WWF belt (RAW, 11/22/10)

Edge beats Kane to win the Linear Championship (TLC, 12/19/10)

Edge vacates the linear championship due to immediate permanent retirement stemming from injury (4/12/11)

Cena pins Miz for the WWF belt and the vacant Linear Championship (Extreme Rules, 5/1/10)

Break #8

CM Punk is forcibly stripped of the WWE title, retains linear championship. (RAW, 7/18/11)

Mysterio beats Miz for vacant WWF belt (RAW, 7/25/11)

Cena beats Mysterio for the WWF belt (RAW, 7/25/11)

Punk pins Cena to re-unify WWE and Linear Championships (SummerSlam, 8/14/11)

Break #9
Daniel Bryan stripped of the WWE title, retains linear championship. (RAW, 9/16/13)

Orton pins Bryan to win the Linear Championship and vacant WWE title, re-unifying them (Hell in a Cell, 10/27/13)

Break #10
Bryan stripped of the WWE title, retains linear championship. (RAW, 6/9/14)

Cena wins vacant WWF belt (Money in the Bank, 6/29/14)

Brock Lesnar pins Cena for WWE belt (SummerSlam, 8/17/14)

Roman Reigns pins Daniel Bryan to win the Linear Championship (Fast Lane, 2/22/15)

Seth Rollins pins Roman Reigns to win the Linear Championship (RAW, 3/2/15)

Randy Orton pins Seth Rollins to win the Linear Championship (WM XXXI, 3/30/15)

Seth Rollins pins Roman Reigns in a triple threat match involving Brock Lesnar to win the WWE belt (WM XXXI, 3/30/15)

Seth Rollins wins a cage match against Randy Orton to win the Linear Championship, re-unifying it with the WWE belt (Extreme Rules, 4/26/15)

Break #11
Rollins forced to vacate title due to injury, retains linear championship (11/5/15)

Roman Reigns wins vacant belt (Survivor Series 11/22/15)

Sheamus pins Reigns for the belt by cashing in MITB contract (Survivor Series 11/22/15)

Reigns regains belt on RAW 12/14/15

HHH beats Reigns for the belt in Royal Rumble 1/24/16

Reigns regains belt WrestleMania 32 4/3/16

Seth Rollins beats Roman Reigns to win the WWE belt, re-unifying it with the Linear Championship (Money in the Bank, 6/19/16)

[Edited on 6-25-2016 by Jazzman]

I guess this counts as a sig.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 10-20-2014 at 10:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Initial observations;
* We are currently in the 10th period of seperation. During the previous nine, one ended with a permanent retirement followed by a filling of the vacancy, two ended with the WWE Titleholder defeating the linear champion, and the other six ended with the linear champion defeating the WWF/E Titleholder. Both times when the WWE Titleholder won the reunification match, that titleholder was Randy Orton.
* The most controversial match of all time, Montreal, served to re-unify the WWF and Linear Titles.
* The viewpoint of holding the Linear Championship above the WWF/E Titles serves to discredit both of Randy Savage's and Ric Flair's title reigns, among others.
* The shortest break was the one actually acknowledged by the WWE - CM Punk's Linear reign of 27 days after being stripped of the WWE Title.
* The longest break was 487 days, from when Hogan was stripped of the title following his title victory over Undertaker to when he pinned Yokozuna to re-unify the titles at WrestleMania IX.

I also chose not to count Inoki's win and subsequent vacating of the title; nor did I count Chris Jericho's title win over HHH that on RAW in 2000 that was reversed that same night. If you wish to do so for either or both (and an argument can be made for doing so), there would be 12 breaks.

[Edited on 10-20-2014 by Jazzman]

lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1695
Registered 11-12-2003

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 10-21-2014 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The concept of a 'linear champion' only make sense in actual competitive sports.

Not, y'know, vaguely homoerotic soap operas.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 10-22-2014 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If that was true, there would have been no ladder match between Shawn and Razor for two different IC Title belts. Or no Summer of Punk redux. Or no Montreal.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 4-8-2015 at 10:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The flip side to the Savage & Flair coin is that Jack Swagger and now Roman Reigns are former linear champs despite not having held the big belt (yet).

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by Jazzman]

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2405
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 5-6-2015 at 09:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jazzman
If that was true, there would have been no ladder match between Shawn and Razor for two different IC Title belts. Or no Summer of Punk redux. Or no Montreal.

Well, yeah, if they become part of a story, then they matter. If they don't become part of a story, then they don't. Montreal had nothing to do with 'linear championship' and everything to do with Vince being afraid of Bret humiliating him and the WWF - a paranoid and silly fear, given Bret's personality, but Vince is a paranoid and silly man. The others were just stories made out of circumstances caused by injuries (or, in the Punk case, literally just a story).

On the other hand, I'm in the 'a belt is just a prop' camp that tends to drive some people crazy. I just don't take it that seriously.

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by GodEatGod]

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 5-8-2015 at 03:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
quote:

Well, yeah, if they become part of a story, then they matter. If they don't become part of a story, then they don't. Montreal had nothing to do with 'linear championship' and everything to do with Vince being afraid of Bret humiliating him and the WWF - a paranoid and silly fear, given Bret's personality, but Vince is a paranoid and silly man. The others were just stories made out of circumstances caused by injuries (or, in the Punk case, literally just a story).

On the other hand, I'm in the 'a belt is just a prop' camp that tends to drive some people crazy. I just don't take it that seriously.

[Edited on 5-6-2015 by GodEatGod]

Judging from your post, lz's, and the lack of any other posts, the prevailing opinion is that it doesn't matter. So be it.

(And for the record, I know Montreal was not at all about Shawn being linear champ but Vince stopping at nothing to prevent the perceived lineage going to WCW.)

lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1695
Registered 11-12-2003

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 5-8-2015 at 04:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
(And for the record, I know Montreal was not at all about Shawn being linear champ but Vince stopping at nothing to prevent the perceived lineage going to WCW.)

Perceived lineage has nothing to do with anything.

When you get a new job with a competitor you do the right thing and drop the title on the way out. It makes storytelling easier to have clean title transitions. That's it.

When Bret didn't want that to happen they made it happen.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 5-18-2018 at 04:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not quite the same thing but an interesting analysis on who is/has been "The Man" at the end of this column.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/ask-411-wrestling-why-wont-wwe-stop-pushing-brock-lesnar/

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 7-2-2018 at 06:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jazzman,

I found this awesome, and I appreciate the effort in doing the research.

I'd be interested in something similar but only counting "clean" pins or submissions. For example, the Montreal Screwjob wouldn't count as a "title change".

Who would be the linear WWE champion if you only counted clean finishes?

[Edited on 7-2-2018 by CCharger]

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-3-2018 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Jazzman,

I'd be interested in something similar but only counting "clean" pins or submissions. For example, the Montreal Screwjob wouldn't count as a "title change".

Interesting question that could really open things up. Before trying to answer that, let me ask what counts as a clean finish. Are you only omitting Montreal? Or would shady business like Hogan-Andre II not be a title change? How about garden variety outside interference like Slaughter over Warrior? Or shocking at the time but the simple use of feet on the ropes for leverage like Superstar over Bruno? I'd need to know where to draw the line before attempting to break things down. (Maybe just omitting Montreal, for the sake of simplicity, and laziness?)

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Jazzman,

Interesting question that could really open things up. Before trying to answer that, let me ask what counts as a clean finish. Are you only omitting Montreal? Or would shady business like Hogan-Andre II not be a title change? How about garden variety outside interference like Slaughter over Warrior? Or shocking at the time but the simple use of feet on the ropes for leverage like Superstar over Bruno? I'd need to know where to draw the line before attempting to break things down. (Maybe just omitting Montreal, for the sake of simplicity, and laziness?)

I thought about this and I think it should be PERFECTLY clean. Meaning no use of the ropes, no matches where the ref was down and the other guy got a pin but the ref never counted it, no foreign objects, and no outside interference.

CLEAN matches with CLEAN finishes from start to finish. My guess is that you would have some LONG title reigns.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

I thought about this and I think it should be PERFECTLY clean. Meaning no use of the ropes, no matches where the ref was down and the other guy got a pin but the ref never counted it, no foreign objects, and no outside interference.

CLEAN matches with CLEAN finishes from start to finish. My guess is that you would have some LONG title reigns.

No doubt.

I wonder if Bruno ever got pinned after his pinfall loss to Superstar with Superstar's feet on the ropes. If not, he would have reigned continuously until his retirement in 1987, which would be a reign of 14 years, almost twice as long as his historic first reign. Then, like with Edge's retirement, I would have to figure out a way of dealing with the vacancy.

This is going to be a challenge. I'll see what I can do.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

No doubt.

I wonder if Bruno ever got pinned after his pinfall loss to Superstar with Superstar's feet on the ropes. If not, he would have reigned continuously until his retirement in 1987, which would be a reign of 14 years, almost twice as long as his historic first reign. Then, like with Edge's retirement, I would have to figure out a way of dealing with the vacancy.

This is going to be a challenge. I'll see what I can do.

A vacancy due to a legit reason would end a title reign - Edge's for example - and the ensuing match or tournament to determine a new champ would have to crown a new champ. The vacancy created by Andre selling the belt to Million Dollar Man, for example? Not so much.

Good luck!

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-4-2018 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've made some progress but don't want to post in piecemeal. I expect to make the cull post Thursday or Friday.

I will note that I will honor otherwise nefarious means as legit in cage, no-dq and similar matches as no dq means any finish is technically clean. Also, a clean stoppage can produce a title change

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-5-2018 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The CLEAN Championship

(Note – some of these matches are lacking description, so my default position is that they are clean wins/losses absent evidence to the contrary. If someone has evidence that a match was or wasn't clean, we can collectively revisit it)

Break #1
Bruno Sammartino gets pinned by Superstar Billy Graham with Graham’s feet on the ropes. Bruno loses the WWWF Title, remains CLEAN Champion (4/30/77)

Graham defeats Bruno in a steel cage match to re-unify WWWF and CLEAN championships (WWWF on PRISM, 2/18/78)

Break #2
Billy Graham is pinned by Bob Backlund, despite Graham’s foot being on the bottom rope, which should have nullified the pin attempt. Graham loses the WWWF Title, remains CLEAN Champion (2/20/78)

Dusty Rhodes pins Billy Graham for the CLEAN championship (4/16/78)

Harley Race pins Dusty Rhodes in an NWA World Title match, unifying the NWA and CLEAN Championships (4/27/78)

Terry Funk defeats Harley Race in a Russian Chain match, taking the CLEAN Championship but not the NWA Title (5/12/78)

Thor the Viking pins Terry Funk for the CLEAN Championship (and NWA Florida Southern title) (1/20/79)

Jack Brisco pins Thor the Viking for the CLEAN Championship (1/31/79)

Antonio Inoki pins Jack Brisco in defense of his NWF Title to win the CLEAN Championship (5/10/79)

Hulk Hogan beats Antonio Inoki by “knockout” to win the CLEAN Championship (6/2/83)

The Iron Sheik wins the WWF Title from Bob Backlund (12/26/83)

Hulk Hogan pins The Iron Sheik to re-unify WWF and CLEAN Championships (1/24/84)

Break #3
Andre the Giant pins Hulk Hogan, thanks to a fake twin referee. Andre takes the WWF Title, Hogan remains CLEAN Champion (Main Event, 2/5/88)

Andre surrenders the WWF Title (2/5/88)

Randy Savage wins the vacant WWF Title (WM IV, 3/27/88)

Hogan pins Savage to re-unify WWF and CLEAN Championships (WM V, 4/2/89)

Break #4
The Ultimate Warrior is pinned by Sgt. Slaughter after a lot of interference by Randy Savage. Warrior loses the WWF Title, retains the CLEAN Championship (Royal Rumble, 1/19/91)

Hulk Hogan beats Slaughter for the WWF Title (WM VII, 3/24/91)

Undertaker beats Hogan for the WWF Title (Survivor Series, 11/27/91)

Hulk Hogan beats Undertaker for the WWF Title (This Tuesday in Texas, 12/3/91)

Hogan stripped of the WWF Title (12/4/91)

Ric Flair wins vacant WWF Title (Royal Rumble, 1/19/92)

Randy Savage pins Ric Flair for the WWF Title (WM VIII, 4/5/92)

Ric Flair pins Savage for the WWF Title (Superstars of Wrestling, 9/1/92)

Bret Hart makes Ric Flair submit to win the WWF Title (10/12/92)

Yokozuna beats Bret Hart for the WWF Title (WM IX, 4/4/93)

Hogan beats Yokozuna for the WWF Title (WM IX, 4/4/93)

Yokozuna beats Hogan for the WWF Title (King of the Ring, 6/13/93)

Bret beats Yokozuna for the WWF Title (WM X, 3/20/94)

Bob Backlund beats Bret Hart for the WWF Title (Survivor Series, 11/23/94)

Diesel wins the WWF Title from Bob Backlund (11/26/94)

Bret wins the WWF Title from Diesel (Survivor Series, 11/19/95)

Shawn Michaels wins the WWF Title from Bret (WM XII, 3/31/96)

Sycho Sid wins the WWF Title from Shawn (Survivor Series, 11/17/96)

Shawn Michaels wins the WWF Title from Sid (Royal Rumble, 1/19/97)

Michaels vacates WWF Title (RAW, 2/13/97)

Bret wins vacant WWF Title (Final Four, 2/16/97)

Sid wins the WWF Title from Bret (RAW, 2/17/97)

Undertaker wins the WWF Title from Sid (WM XIII, 3/23/97)

Bret wins the WWF Title from Taker (Summerslam, 8/3/97)

Shawn Michaels wins the WWF Title from Bret (Survivor Series, 11/9/97)

Steve Austin wins the WWF Title from Shawn (WM XIV, 3/29/98)

Kane wins the WWF Title from Austin in a first-blood match (King of the Ring, 6/28/98)

Steve Austin wins the WWF Title from Kane (RAW, 6/29/98)

WWF Title vacated (9/27/98)

Hulk Hogan defeats The Ultimate Warrior but with interference, so the CLEAN
Championship does not change hands. Warrior never loses another match and does not wrestle again for 10 years, so the CLEAN Championship is deemed vacant, to be claimed by the next CLEAN WWF Title match

The Rock wins vacant WWF Title over Mankind via Montreal Screwjob Redux, CLEAN Title remains vacant but WWF Champ The Rock becomes #1 Contender for the vacant CLEAN Title (Survivor Series, 11/15/98)

The Rock beats Kane in a Steel Cage match to retain the WWF Title and win vacant CLEAN Championship (11/18/98)

Break #4
Undertaker pins Steve Austin due in part to interference. Taker wins the WWF Title, Austin retains the CLEAN Championship (Over the Edge, 5/23/99)

Austin pins Taker to regain the WWF Title and retain CLEAN Championship (6/28/99)

Break #5
Vince McMahon pins HHH with considerable help from Austin to win the WWF Title. HHH retains the Clean Title (Smackdown, 9/14/99)

Vince vacates WWF Title (9/18/99)

The Rock pins HHH in a Falls Count Anywhere match to win CLEAN Championship (9/19/99)

HHH beats The Rock in a Brahma Bullrope Strap Match to win CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 9/21/99)

HHH wins Six-Pack match to win vacant WWF Title and retain CLEAN Championship (Unforgiven, 9/26/99)

Break #6
The Rock beat HHH for the WWF Title due in part to interference from Steve Austin. HHH retains CLEAN Championship (Backlash, 4/30/00)

HHH beats The Rock in an Iron Man match to re-unify WWF and CLEAN Titles (Judgment Day, 5/21/00)

Break #7
The Rock beat HHH for the WWF Title in a six-man match by pinning Vince McMahon where a chair came into play. HHH retains CLEAN Championship (King of the Ring, 6/25/00)

The Rock pins HHH to retain WWF Title and win CLEAN Championship (7/1/00)

Break #8
The Rock pins Kurt Angle for the WWF Title after The Big Show chokeslammed Angle. Angle retains the CLEAN Championship (No Way Out, 2/25/01)

The Big Show defeats Kurt Angle and The Rock in a Triple Threat Hardcore match to win the CLEAN Championship and retain the WWF Hardcore Title (RAW, 2/26/01)

Raven pins The Big Show for CLEAN Championship and Hardcore title (RAW, 3/19/01)

Kane beats Raven and The Big Show for CLEAN Championship and Hardcore title (WMXVII, 4/1/01)

Steve Austin pins The Rock to win the WWF Title (WM XVII, 4/1/01)

Rhyno pins Kane for CLEAN Championship and Hardcore title (RAW, 4/17/01)

Big Show pins Rhyno for CLEAN Championship and Hardcore title (RAW, 5/21/01)

Chris Jericho beats Big Show for CLEAN Championship and Hardcore title (RAW, 5/28/01)

Steve Austin beats Chris Jericho for CLEAN Championship and to retain WWF Title (6/3/01)

Break #9
Kurt Angle pins Steve Austin with Austin’s foot under the bottom rope. Angle wins WWF Title, Austin retains CLEAN Championship (Unforgiven, 9/23/01)

Kurt Angle pins Steve Austin for CLEAN Championship and to retain WWF Title (9/29/01)

Break #10
Chris Jericho pins Steve Austin after interference by Booker T to retain WCW Title and win WWF Title. Austin retains CLEAN Championship (Vengeance, 12/9/01)

Booker T beats Steve Austin in a First Blood match for the CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 12/18/01)

The Rock pins Booker T for CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 1/3/02)

* WWF Champ Jericho pinned CLEAN Champ Rock at the 2002 Royal Rumble but it involved a strike with a title belt so the titles remained split

Kurt Angle pinned The Rock for CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 1/22/02)

Steve Austin pinned Kurt Angle for CLEAN Championship (RAW, 1/28/02)

* WWF Champ Jericho pinned CLEAN Champ Austin at No Way Out but it involved interference from the NWO so the titles remained split

HHH beats Chris Jericho for the WWF Title (WM XVIII, 3/17/02)

The Undertaker pins Steve Austin in a No-DQ match for CLEAN Championship (4/6/02)

Steve Austin pinned The Undertaker for CLEAN Championship (4/19/02)

Hulk Hogan pins HHH to win WWF Title (Backlash, 4/21/02)

Undertaker pins Hulk Hogan to win WWE Title (Judgment Day, 5/19/02)

The Rock wins a Triple Threat match over Undertaker and Kurt Angle to win WWE Title (Vengeance, 7/21/02)

Brock Lesnar pins Rock to win WWE Title (Summerslam, 8/25/02)

Big Show pins Brock Lesnar to win WWE Title (Survivor Series, 11/17/02)

Kurt Angle pins Big Show to win WWE Title (Armageddon, 12/15/02)

The Rock pins Steve Austin to win CLEAN Championship (WM XIX, 3/30/03)

Brock Lesnar pins Kurt Angle to win WWE Title (WM XIX, 3/30/03)

Goldberg pins The Rock to win CLEAN Championship (Backlash, 4/27/03)

HHH pins Goldberg to win CLEAN Championship and retain World Title (7/20/03)

Kurt Angle beats Brock Lesnar and Big Show in a triple threat match for WWE Title (Vengeance 7/23/03)

Brock Lesnar beats Kurt Angle in an Iron Man match to win WWE Title (Smackdown, 9/16/03)

Goldberg pins HHH to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (Unforgiven, 9/21/03)

HHH beats Goldberg and Kane in a triple threat match to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (Armageddon, 12/14/03)

Eddie Guerrero pins Brock Lesnar to win WWE Title (No Way Out, 2/15/04)

Chris Benoit beats HHH and Shawn Michaels in a triple threat match to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (WM XX, 3/14/04)

JBL beats Eddie Guerrero in a Texas Bull Rope match for the WWE Title (Great American Bash, 6/27/04)

Randy Orton pins Chris Benoit to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (Summerslam, 8/15/04)

HHH pins Randy Orton to win CLEAN Championship and retain World Title (9/17/04)

Randy Orton pins HHH to win CLEAN Championship (dark match on RAW, 12/27/04)

Triple H defeats Batista, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Edge and Randy Orton in an Elimination Chamber match to win CLEAN Championship and vacant World Title (New Year’s Revolution, 1/9/05)

John Cena beats JBL for the WWE Title (WM XXI, 4/3/05)

Batista pins HHH to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (WM XXI, 4/3/05)

Edge beat John Cena for WWE Title (New Year’s Revolution, 1/8/06)

John Cena beat Edge for WWE Title (Royal Rumble, 1/29/06)

Rob Van Dam beat John Cena for WWE Title (ECW One Night Stand, 6/11/06)

Edge beat RVD for WWE Title (RAW, 7/3/06)

John Cena beat Edge for WWE Title (Unforgiven, 9/17/06)

Booker T beats Batista and Finlay in a triple threat match to win CLEAN Championship and retain World Title (11/12/06)

Batista beats Booker T and Finlay in a triple threat match to win CLEAN Championship and retain World Title (Smackdown, 11/28/06)

Undertaker pins Batista to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (WM XXIII, 4/1/07)

* Edge pins Undertaker to win CLEAN Championship and World Title (Smackdown, 5/11/07) (* - Mark Henry brutalized Taker after Taker had fought Batista to a draw. Following all that, Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase. Since all shenanigans preceded the start of the match, this is considered a CLEAN win, as are all similar Money in the Bank cash-ins where the match itself is clean)

Shawn Michaels pins Edge to win CLEAN Championship; World Title was not on the line (RAW, 5/14/07)

Randy Orton beat Shawn Michaels by stoppage to win CLEAN Championship (Judgment Day, 5/20/07)

Bobby Lashley pins Randy Orton to win CLEAN Championship (5/26/07)

John Cena beats Bobby Lashley, King Booker, Mick Foley & Randy Orton in a No-DQ Five-Way match to re-unify the CLEAN and WWE Titles (Vengeance, 6/24/07)

Break #11
John Cena vacates WWE Title due to injury, retains CLEAN Title (10/2/07)

Randy Orton awarded WWE Title (No Mercy, 10/7/07)

HHH pins Randy Orton for WWE Title (No Mercy, 10/7/07)

Randy Orton pins HHH for WWE Title (No Mercy, 10/7/07)

Randy Orton beats John Cena and HHH to retain WWE Title and win CLEAN Championship (WM XXIV, 3/30/08)

Break #12
Batista vacates WWE Title due to injury, retains CLEAN Championship (6/9/09)

Randy Orton wins vacant WWE Title in fatal four-way (RAW, 6/15/09)

John Cena wins WWE Title from Randy Orton (Breaking Point, 9/13/09)

Randy Orton pins John Cena for WWE Title (Hell in a Cell, 10/4/09)

Rey Mysterio pins Batista for CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 10/13/09)

Undertaker beats Rey Mysterio, Batista, & C.M. Punk in a fatal four-way match to win CLEAN Championship and retain World Title (Bragging Rights, 10/25/09)

John Cena wins WWE Title from Randy Orton in an Iron Man match (Bragging Rights, 10/25/09)

Sheamus beats John Cena for the WWE Title (TLC, 12/13/09)

Chris Jericho pins Undertaker in a No-DQ match for the CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 2/9/10)

Rey Mysterio pins Chris Jericho for the CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 2/12/10)

John Cena pins Sheamus for WWE Title (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

Batista pins John Cena for WWE Title (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

Chris Jericho beats Rey Mysterio, Undertaker, C.M. Punk, John Morrison and R-Truth for the CLEAN Championship and World Title (Elimination Chamber, 2/21/10)

John Cena pins Batista for the WWE Title (WM XXVI, 3/28/10)
Jack Swagger pins Chris Jericho for the CLEAN Championship and World Title (Smackdown, 3/30/10)

Randy Orton pins Jack Swagger for the CLEAN Championship; World Title not on the line (RAW, 4/5/10)

Jack Swagger pins Randy Orton in an Extreme Rules match for the CLEAN Championship and to retain the World Title (Extreme Rules, 4/25/10)

Kofi Kingston pins Jack Swagger for the CLEAN Championship; World Title not on the line (Smackdown, 5/18/10)

Sheamus beats John Cena for the WWE Title (Fatal 4-Way, 6/20/10)

Drew McIntyre pins Kofi Kingston match for the CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 7/6/10)

Kofi Kingston beats Drew McIntyre, Dolph Ziggler, and Matt Hardy for the CLEAN Championship and to retain the Intercontinental Title (7/10/10)

Kane defeats Kofi Kingston, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, Big Show, and Matt Hardy in a Ladder Match for the CLEAN Title (Money in the Bank, 7/18/10)

Randy Orton wins WWE Title from Sheamus (Night of Champions, 9/19/10)

WWE Champ Randy Orton pins Kane for CLEAN Championship to re-unify both titles (Smackdown, 10/19/10)

Break #13
C.M. Punk is stripped of WWE Title, retains CLEAN Championship (RAW, 7/18/11)

Rey Mysterio wins vacant WWE Title over The Miz (RAW, 7/25/11)

John Cena wins WWE Title from Rey Mysterio (RAW, 7/25/11)

C.M. Punk pins John Cena to win WWE Title and retain CLEAN Championship (Summerslam, 8/14/11)

Break #14
Daniel Bryan is stripped of the WWE Title, retains CLEAN Championship (RAW, 9/16/13)

Randy Orton pins Daniel Bryan in a Hell in a Cell match to win CLEAN Championship and vacant WWE Title (Hell in a Cell, 10/27/13)

Break #15
Daniel Bryan is stripped of WWE Title due to injury, retains CLEAN Championship (6/9/14)

John Cena wins vacant WWE Title in a ladder match (Money in the Bank, 6/29/14)

Brock Lesnar pins John Cena for the WWE Title (Summerslam, 8/17/14)

Roman Reigns pins Daniel Bryan for CLEAN Championship (Fastlane, 2/22/15)

Seth Rollins beats CLEAN Champion Roman Reigns and WWE Champion Brock Lesnar in a triple-threat match to win both titles (WM XXXI, 3/29/15)

Break #16
Seth Rollins stripped of WWE Title due to injury, retains CLEAN Championship (11/4/15)

Roman Reigns wins vacant WWE Title vs Dean Ambrose (Survivor Series, 11/22/15)

Sheamus pins Roman Reigns for WWE Title (Survivor Series, 11/22/15)

Roman Reigns pins Sheamus for WWE Title (RAW, 12/14/15)

HHH wins Royal Rumble match with WWE Title on the line (Royal Rumble, 1/24/16)

Roman Reigns pins HHH for WWE Title (WM XXXII, 4/3/16)

Seth Rollins pins Roman Reigns to re-unify CLEAN Championship and WWE Title (Money in the Bank, 6/19/16)

Break #17
AJ Styles pins Dean Ambrose for the WWE Title after a low blow. Ambrose retains CLEAN Championship (Backlash, 9/11/16)

AJ Styles beats Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler in a triple-threat match to win CLEAN Championship and retain WWE Title (9/18/16)

Break #18
Jinder Mahal pins Randy Orton for the WWE Title after The Singh Brothers broke up an Orton pin attempt. Orton retains CLEAN Championship (Backlash, 5/21/17)

Jinder Mahal beats Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison match to win the CLEAN Championship and retain the WWE Title (Battleground, 7/23/17)

Break #19
Daniel Bryan pins AJ Styles for the WWE Title after a low blow. Styles retains the CLEAN Championship (Smackdown, 11/13/18)

Daniel Bryan pins AJ Styles to win the CLEAN Championship and retain the WWE Title (TLC, 12/16/18)

Currently, DANIEL BRYAN is both the WWE and CLEAN Champion

[Edited on 12-17-2018 by Jazzman]

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2018 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Read a bit and skipped to the bottom. In the last Punjabi Prison match Mahal only won because Khali showed up and choked Orton through the cage while Mahal escaped (in addition to a good bit of Singh interference). Therefore Orton would have retained the CLEAN title at that point, right? Not sure where lineage would’ve gone from there.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4987
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-6-2018 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This was awesome, Jazz. Thank you.

Only thing I noticed was you left our Warrior's clean pin over Hogan at Wrestlemania in Toronto.

My biggest takeaway from this is that the Ultimate Warrior is the greatest WWF/E champion of all time apparently.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3051
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 7-6-2018 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
My biggest takeaway from this is that the Ultimate Warrior is the greatest WWF/E champion of all time apparently.

He certainly thought so.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-6-2018 at 05:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Whew, you are very welcome. Some quick responses.

I only made note of times when the CLEAN Championship deviated from the WWF Title. There was no deviation when Warrior beat Hogan since it was a clean win, but there was a deviation when Warrior lost to Slaughter.

I considered Jinder's win over Orton in the Punjabi Prison clean because it did not violate the rules of the match. You can't get DQed in tbat type of match so Khali's interference, technically, was perfectly legal.

I'll make some more observations later. I'm tired

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-9-2018 at 06:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well done Jazzman; it's interesting to see the whole history on display there and how... nuanced? All over the place... WWE title history actually is.

I remember there being a flowchart of some sort that someone made that kind of tied the whole NWA to present lineage of the "sport of wrestling" title history that kind of shows how the NWA, WWWF, WCW, WWE, ECW and all the other title histories kind of tie together. Like I remember there being some symbolism attached to how HHH in one month beat I think Taz and Benoit on WWE TV which made him essentially the linear champion of champions for the first time.

It's funny that Flair's jumping ship with the WCW title to the WWF way back in the day isn't given more significance historically as it's actually a pretty big deal.... It also paints an even more scummy picture of Vince as he very much did to WCW what he was afraid Hart would do to him, and it wasn't even the first time Vince pulled that particular screw job move as he did the same to Richter using Moolah back in the 80's.

This whole thread kind of got me thinking about "dead" titles... IE titles that have no real lineage, a defined history, and are now defunct (The WWE world title would be one example)... When you kind of put it in that perspective outside of Raw not having a championship it kind of puts the Universal title into perspective as being almost as meaningless as it's now treated.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

posted on 7-9-2018 at 03:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some observations;

* Billy Graham winning the CLEAN Title after having won the WWWF Title set a precedent, where a wrestler would win the (W)WWF/E Title in a tainted way and then later get a clean win in a rematch. This was the first of six times this happened. Funny that Graham finally won the CLEAN Championship just two days before he dropped the WWWF Title.

* Warrior holding the CLEAN Championship hostage means some of the greats from the 1990's never got a turn with it, including Randy Savage and Bret Hart.

* Ric Flair never held the CLEAN Championship but his rivals Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, and Terry Funk did. As did Thor the Viking.

* Hulk Hogan actually won the CLEAN Championship before beating The Iron Sheik for the WWF Title. This is due in part to the WWF retroactively not honoring Antonio Inoki's win over Bob Backlund as a title change, followed by New Japan changing Backlund's win over Inoki in the rematch to a no-contest (which would not have been clean anyway).

* That run from Dusty to Hogan marked one of only two times the CLEAN Championship left the WWWF. The other was Warrior's brief visit to WCW where he never dropped it.

* The CLEAN Championship was also held by several non-WWE Champions within the WWE, including Booker T, Goldberg, Jack Swagger, Drew McIntyre, & Kofi Kingston.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top