The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guardians of the Galaxy
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 7-30-2014 at 04:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Guardians of the Galaxy

Amazingly enough there wasn't a thread dedicated to the movie yet and I am sure someone will be seeing it this week.

I have been hearing rumors about the credit scene and I would like whomever goes to see it to let me know what the scene is. Because if it is what I have heard I will be disgusted.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-30-2014 at 06:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know what you've heard about the scene, but if it's what I've heard, it sounds awesome. I wish I hadn't heard because if it what I heard, then I wish I could've been like "OH SHIT YES!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 7-31-2014 at 04:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I don't know what you've heard about the scene, but if it's what I've heard, it sounds awesome.

Sounds like what you've heard ... differs greatly from what I've heard.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the mid-credit scene that I've heard, which I would say sounds "awesome," but pretty OK. But the end/final scene? Fuck no.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thom
quote:
I don't know what you've heard about the scene, but if it's what I've heard, it sounds awesome.

Sounds like what you've heard ... differs greatly from what I've heard.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the mid-credit scene that I've heard, which I would say sounds "awesome," but pretty OK. But the end/final scene? Fuck no.

Sounds like you heard the same thing as me, but if Sal is right it would be awesome.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

desjr001
Showstopper

Posts 639
Registered 9-18-2004
Location Tampa Rasslin City USA

Mood: kiss my assable

posted on 8-1-2014 at 12:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just saw it at a work screening. If you are talking about a cameo from the star of a certain mid-eighties mega-flop, then you heard right. Although, James Gunn says they are supposed to pull that sequence after the opening weekend or something.

The movie is cool. Not Avengers-level cool, but pretty darn entertaining. Bautista actually has some of the best lines

There is no exception,
that everyone thinks they are the exception.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 8-1-2014 at 11:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desjr001
I just saw it at a work screening. If you are talking about a cameo from the star of a certain mid-eighties mega-flop, then you heard right. Although, James Gunn says they are supposed to pull that sequence after the opening weekend or something.

The movie is cool. Not Avengers-level cool, but pretty darn entertaining. Bautista actually has some of the best lines

salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-1-2014 at 04:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I haven't watched it yet, but the version I heard is probably not true.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I haven't watched it yet, but the version I heard is probably not true.

I spoke to my son's friend that works at the theater... one of us was right...and unfortunately it was not you.

desjr001
Showstopper

Posts 639
Registered 9-18-2004
Location Tampa Rasslin City USA

Mood: kiss my assable

posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
POSSIBLE SPOILERZZzzzz?

Ever notice how Zoe Saldana always gets booked for those inter-racial/inter-species relationships?

There is no exception,
that everyone thinks they are the exception.

ShawnL
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 77
Registered 5-18-2004

Mood:

posted on 8-2-2014 at 06:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I loved the post credits cameo.

Marvel Studio's got balls. Major releases featuring characters most people have never heard of? Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant man? Heck that's nothing. With this cameo I expect Marvel to be announcing...

****** *** **** 2 - Because even a **** deserves a second chance.

Oh, and Dave Bautista did well. Comedic timing was great. I doubt he'll become a leading man, but he's going to be getting plenty of work.

The film was very good. (Ronan's blatant no-selling however...)

Shawn L.
Rockland ME

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2014 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was pretty great. Not quite as great as Avengers or Cap 2, but probably easily the third best movie under the Marvel banner.

And I'm also among those very pleasantly surprised by Batista's performance. He just went full-camp with it and it worked.

Groot totally stole the show, though.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8885
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-4-2014 at 12:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very fun movie. Glad to see it did so well at the box office, and that a sequel is already lined up (although 2017 is a looooong time).

Earl from Walking Dead did well in it. Groot, as Chris said, stole the show.

Don't Mess With Texas

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 8-4-2014 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My 7 year old daughter, who thought it was way too scary and didn't get many of the jokes, said "MOM! He said 'we'!!!!! He learned a new word because of love!"

The rest of the family loved every minute of it. My only complaint is that I wanted some sort of Avengers cameo or hint at the next movie or two or something. Besides seeing Thanos, who we've already seen and are assuming the big bad in 4 years, it could have been completely disassociated from the Marvel franchise.

Which doesn't make it any less than a 5 star movie that I loved, it makes it really hard to rank in the my favorite avengers movies rankings.

Maybe if the damn end credit scene was a mid credit scene and there was an end credit scene with Thor talking about what just happened and maybe we need to make sure the eather is still safe, or something?

The "B" is for Bargain!

Wanderer
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2014 at 02:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched it yesterday with my brother, sister, and nephew. All of us enjoyed the movie. I knew what both credits scenes were going to be, I hadn't seen the actual footage, but I knew what they were going to be. I still enjoyed them and cracked up laughing. My brother and I spent a lot of the movie laughing because of the humor. I think it all worked so well, because the humor was character driven.
jmble
Fella

Posts 277
Registered 6-29-2007
Location Cincinnati

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2014 at 05:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the credit scene for Guardians were perfect. Both of them. They were in the spirit of the film and just done for fun.

Marvel has been doing that a lot more lately... The credit scene at the end of The Avengers was just a silly throwback to a comment made earlier in the film.

The credit scene at the end of Iron Man 3 was just silliness between Robert Downey Jr and (will leave name out in case somebody still hasn't seen it)

I think they set things up when they need to. But with this movie, which so far has no connection to the any of the other characters introduced so far, it was the perfect chance for just a little fun. We already know the setup here with the infinity stones and with Thanos most likely being the villain in Avengers 3. We didn't necessarily need anymore with the credit scenes.

I loved everything about this movie by the way. I've been excited about it since James Gunn was announced to direct it like two years ago and it lived up to every bit of my expectations.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2014 at 02:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Marvel has definitely been doing a great job of going out and hiring the kind of niche geek directors that fans have been hot for, first with Whedon, then Gunn, and apparently it's Edgar Wright getting the nod for Ant man. So far it's more than paid off, largely because I think those involved are not only dedicated to making a good movie, but who are also passionate and respectful about the source material.

Great movie, nothing to really complain about.

Spoilers
****************************************************************************************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************************************************************************************** ****************************************************************************************************************************************************** *****************************************************************************************************************************************************< br />

I've seen the movie a couple of times now and had some more time to look for some easter eggs during other scenes:

During one of the over the shoulder shots while they are talking to the Collector (who we saw at the end of Thor 2... so there were more ties between the marvel universe than just Thanos) you can see the canard in question that seems to have everyone all riled up just sitting there in his cage. I also can't quite place the name of the species, but when the collectors attendant is cleaning the one cage you can see an alien species we've definitely seen before in comics.

Lloyd Kaufman of Troma fame is in one of the prison crowd shots, pretty much when people start throwing stuff and they first look up. Also, apparently that's the voice of Nathan Fillion for the big blue alien that Groot dispatches (read that one somewhere).

Not a spoiler, but with Disney owning Starwars now, a tiny part of me was a little disappointed that we didn't get some kind of little cameo/nod during the big ship battle scene... like "it's a trap" or one of those guys who was beside Lando at the end of Jedi piloting a Nova Corps ship.

Also, I wonder who Star Lords dad might be? I know he's not in the comics, but I wonder if they would make it Adam Warlock, someone who's kind of lead the fight against Thanos in the past

jmble
Fella

Posts 277
Registered 6-29-2007
Location Cincinnati

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2014 at 02:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually in the newest version of the Guardians comics which started in 2008, they changed Star Lord's origin story. His father actually is in the comics. Now whether they actually go that way or not, who can say.

Possible spoilers ahead ...................................................................................................................................................... .................

In the comics, Star Lord's father is the emperor of the Spartoi Empire. His name is J'son

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2014 at 03:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sorry, to clarify: I meant the character I was suggesting as a possibility as not being the one in the comics, not that they hadn't unveilled someone in the comics.

I know who I was suggesting doesn't exactly have any main stream cache, but I think it could sizzle a bit more than who his dad is in the comics.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2014 at 12:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
Marvel has definitely been doing a great job of going out and hiring the kind of niche geek directors that fans have been hot for, first with Whedon, then Gunn, and apparently it's Edgar Wright getting the nod for Ant man.

Not to pick nits, but Wright is off of Ant-Man and the whole thing has been turning into a public catastrophe. As of right now I believe Peyton Reed, whose most successful film to date (arguably) is probably Bring It On.

Fortunately the Marvel name carries a shitload of pull now, and Paul Rudd is really likable. So I'm not going to be the asshole who cries "it's gonna flop!" but I'm not afraid to say it has a strong chance to underperform.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

ThirdCitySaints
And I am AWESOME

Posts 136
Registered 11-6-2012

Mood: Run!

posted on 8-6-2014 at 04:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Michael Rooker as Yondu was pretty much Merle from The Walking Dead covered in blue paint.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2014 at 04:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wasn't aware of Wright being off of Ant-Man... That's bummer, as by all accounts he had put a lot of work into it.

I'm in agreement- too soon to call on the new guys: Marvel would have to really crap the bed to beat out Jonah Hex and Catwoman for worst comic based movies, and they really seem to be putting quite the comic brain trust behind the scenes for each movie, so while a good director would probably elevate a movie, its unlikely that if Ant Man does suck, that it will be because of the director.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-6-2014 at 04:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great story about Chris Pratt taking his costume from the set:

http://www.hollywood.com/news/brief/57225195/chris-pratt-to-visit-sick-kids-as-star-lord?page=all

salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-6-2014 at 04:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
also, this made me chuckle:

[Edited on 8-6-2014 by salmonjunkie]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3946
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 8-6-2014 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's photoshop.

Iron Claw
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 85
Registered 2-24-2003

Mood: giddy

posted on 8-6-2014 at 11:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He just quit drinking beer.....who knew?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top