The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (July 28, 2014)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 7-28-2014 at 10:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (July 28, 2014)

Tonight on RAW: nothing's been officially announced, but it's for-sure that John Cena will be back tonight... however, Brock Lesnar won't be (in fact, the earliest the two could be at RAW on the same night is August 11), so WWE will be leaning pretty hard on (a) Lesnar's reputation as a bad-ass and legit title threat, and (b) Paul Heyman's awesomeness in terms of generating/maintaining interest in the match... given the fact that Lesnar is "Plan C" also means Triple H will have enough moving parts to keep Cena occupied in Lesnar's absence (he could sic Orton or Rollins or Kane -- of maybe even Cesaro, per last week's little twist -- on Cena, with the resulting interference from the babyface counterpart setting up a tag match, or whatever they need to fill time between now and SummerSlam)...

Speaking of those "babyface counterparts," we're definitely looking at Rollins vs. Ambrose and Orton vs. Reigns as two of the top supporting matches at SummerSlam, so regardless of whether they are interwoven with Cena, those two stories are top priorities tonight...

Also looking to be a big part of the next PPV: Chris Jericho will be back tonight (he wasn't actually in the building last Monday; they taped the backstage attack on Sunday at the PPV), and looking for some payback against Bray Wyatt... surely this will take the form of a challenge to a rematch at SummerSlam...

Jack Swagger vs. Rusev isn't over yet, either... Rusev has one win (via count-out) and Swagger picked one up on Main Event (via DQ), so there has yet to be a decisive conclusion, and there's still plenty of room for Colter and Lana to drum up the cheapest of heat, to boot...

Secondary titles headed towards SummerSlam shape up like this: Miz vs. Ziggler for the IC Title seems pretty close to a sure thing... as does AJ vs. Paige for the Women's Title... nobody's really stepped up as the obvious next challengers to the Usos tag titles (though the Dust Brothers' promos are certainly hinting that they seek SOMEthing, and even if they call it the Cosmic Key, it's probably the tag belts), but nor have the Wyatts really stepped aside; a multi-way/gauntlet of some kind may be the way to go, with the "New Nation" of Kofi/Big E rounding things out.... US Champ Sheamus was missing from TV all last week, and also absent from house shows this weekend, so his PPV story is completely wide open at this point (WWE has not reported on any injury, and even hyped him as facing Rusev on "Main Event," but he was nowhere to be seen)...

On the flip side, Big Show returned to action at this weekend's house shows (he was off making a movie), and as such, can be reasonably expected back on TV at any time, now... Show worked against Cesaro in a pretty intriguing Feats of Brute Strength showdown, which might play well on TV, but hopefully not until we get a Cesaro/Ambrose rubber match...

And the elephant in the room: Stephanie vs. Brie is happening... the only questions are when (is there room for it at SummerSlam? or will they torture us by putting it off till Night of Champions?), and how painful the journey will be... to be clear, I'm OK with the basic premise and am sure the match itself will be surprisingly entertaining (it is the McMahon Way to put 110% into sporadic wrestling matches, even if you're massively unskilled), but I'm not OK with the presentation last week... Steph/Brie took up about one-sixth of RAW's total airtime (between actual happenings, and tons of replays), and worse: this is a trashy/guilty-pleasure/Jerry-Springer-caliber story, and they insisted on playing it up like a matter of historical significance... no more, please...

Toss in a few throw-away bits with your Bo Dallases, Adam Roses, Damien Sandows, and so forth, and one thing is for certain: RAW will be on the air for 3 hours tonight... but will all of it be good? Who's to say? Well, we are; but not until 8pm...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LurkerDuck
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 14
Registered 2-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Before this promo I was certain that Lesnar was gonna win and hold the belt beIfore giving the rub to someone else...

now I'm worried they're gonna waste Lesnar on Cena at SummerSlam because it's "safe" to do.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1330
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cole or whoever bringing up those tweets of Cena's about his use of that "die a hero or live long enough to become a villain" phrase reminds me of how completely mind boggling that is in this case. Not to mention I'm reasonably sure he used it in a promo during his feud against the Wyatts. In that case, it worked thanks to the whole "Bray wants Cena to give in to anger/evil/etc." thing. I can't think of anything it applies to while going up against Lesnar.
Tevaltski
And I am AWESOME

Posts 170
Registered 6-27-2007
Location NOVA

Mood: Whooooo!

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hope ceasaro doesn't get put in the dog house for calling out a spot loud enough for the mic to pick up
Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cesaro is looking like fucking gold in this match.

And Cena's not doing too bad either. Cenacanranas? Over the shoulder reversals? it seems like Somebody made a decision to let Cena off his chain and show some flash. The comment about wrestling circles around Cesaro and the CHOICE of Cesaro itself makes this seem quite deliberate to me.

austin_83
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 84
Registered 9-14-2009

Mood: Lighting

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"I'll never get that smell out of my nose"...sounds like Steph had to do some midnight Cinemax movie-type stuff last week.

Hey Yo

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tevaltski
Hope ceasaro doesn't get put in the dog house for calling out a spot loud enough for the mic to pick up

They used to punish Randy Orton for that by making him World Champion.

quote:
Originally posted by LurkerDuck
Before this promo I was certain that Lesnar was gonna win and hold the belt beIfore giving the rub to someone else...

now I'm worried they're gonna waste Lesnar on Cena at SummerSlam because it's "safe" to do.

The match is going to be freaking awesome. Sometimes we forget that part when worrying about everything all the time and looking past what is right in front of us.

ETA:

Hey...the divas get to talk...and a have a good segment...and build heat...so let's have a CM Punk chant because AJ Lee is there...yay.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by S Kid J E T S 48]

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 372
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

Mood: phoenetical

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jericho hitting the bottom-feeding trash bag ho line ... I love the classics.

Nine Pound Hammer. Kinda like my genitals.

Tevaltski
And I am AWESOME

Posts 170
Registered 6-27-2007
Location NOVA

Mood: Whooooo!

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can't believe Jericho forgot the two dollar part
derfsucks
Fella

Posts 372
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tevaltski
Can't believe Jericho forgot the two dollar part

I guess being a ho is alright nowadays, but being a 'cheap' ho isn't PG.

jaymosley6
Fella

Posts 352
Registered 1-27-2014

Mood: "Cup of coffee

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

I had this thought, too. It wouldn't shock me in the least if Cena takes an ass kicking from Lesnar, somehow wins and HHH comes out and restarts the match which Lesnar THEN wins.

It keeps stupid amounts of heat on HHH, doesn't make Cena look weak (that's something they still care about, btw) and sets up the eventual rematch at Night of Champions, which Brock would win outright.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Undertaker Things" could also be how it ends.

ETA:

That felt like one of the most dominant performances by Ziggler at least since he was World Heavyweight Champion.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by S Kid J E T S 48]

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LurkerDuck

Posts 14
Registered 2-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Kid J E T S 48

it really felt like they did that because Bo was getting cheered by not only smarks (which I'm sure they anticipated.) but by kids as well because the joke goes over there heads. So give him quick heat by freaking out over losing. But..it completely defeated the gimmick that they've built for him on Raw in the process. It's lazy, but easy. I'm still rooting for Bo to succeed outside of NXT.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

it really felt like they did that because Bo was getting cheered by not only smarks (which I'm sure they anticipated.) but by kids as well because the joke goes over there heads. So give him quick heat by freaking out over losing. But..it completely defeated the gimmick that they've built for him on Raw in the process. It's lazy, but easy. I'm still rooting for Bo to succeed outside of NXT.

Completely agree...that said...

Zack Ryder could have used that win...

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 372
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

To show how well that strategy worked, the crowd was chanting "We BO-lieve!" during the beatdown.

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just realized that Lana always refers to Putin as 'Fearless Leader'. That's funny under the radar humor.

Also, I was listening to Raw go to ads with half an ear as I got a Coke and the hype for the match with Reigns sounded like they said he'd be fighting 'the Diva Kane'. After a second to remember he's the demon now, I realized I want to see Team Hell no do that joke when the eventually do their reunion.

Also: Sign idea if you got to a WWE tv event: "Fear the Diva Kane."

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by Jumbie]

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by Jumbie]

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 02:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There were so many things I loved about that segment.

Orton finally being the guy to attack a Shield member in the crowd.

Orton talking loudly.

Orton answering his own questions.

Orton clearing tables, but gently placing the iPad aside.

Orton slapping the table to make sure he doesn't get CM Punked.

The double RKO when Orton ABSOLUTELY MUST GO THROUGH THE TABLE FOR THE PPV VIDEO~!

Orton angry at inanimate objects.

Douche pose.

Beautiful.

LurkerDuck

Posts 14
Registered 2-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 02:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This Orton is the second best Orton. It goes a little like this:

"Legend Killer" Orton > Psychotic Vicious Heel Orton > Corporate Stooge Orton > Face Orton

vonLampertheim
Fella

Posts 416
Registered 4-8-2013
Location Melbourne, Australia

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 02:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Kid J E T S 48

If Heyman comes out and gives a "break the streak" promo for his client R-Truth, I'd faint in wrestling continuity ecstasy.

[Edited on 29-7-14 by vonLampertheim]

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 02:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So...Stephanie and Brie are...the main event segment?

This is either opposite Heyman or something big has to happen, right?

Daniel Bryan's new surgery is fake. He's fine. Bryan and Brie vs. HHH and Stephanie - job and title match against Brock at Night of Champions vs. Steph's freedom.

Just kidding.

Punk is coming back.

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 7-29-2014 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I got a kick out of Orton VIOLENTLY THROWING THINGS and gingerly handing JBL his iPad

Yep, Orton REALLY needs to stop trying to use the table... has it EVER worked for him?

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how they pretend that "based on what happened before" you're getting Jericho-Rowan on Smackdown, as if standard direction "Guy vs. Group Step 4" wasn't this anyway.
dRob78
And I am AWESOME

Posts 138
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2014 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
this is seriously the main event segment?
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6056
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 7-29-2014 at 03:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Your C and DD Player Main Event, Gentleman.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top