The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Poll: Finals: Edge & Christian/The Dudley Boyz
Edge & Christian 59 (0%) -»
Bubba Ray & D-Von Dudley 49 (0%) -»
Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finals: Edge & Christian/The Dudley Boyz
Big Bank Hank
Fella

Posts 343
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood: I paid my taxes

posted on 8-2-2014 at 02:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was also torn on whom to vote for here. It was the pic of E and C that finally made up my mind.

I too once suffered from acne and am now the proud owner of a weird forehead crease.

The above is true and the actual reason why I voted E and C.

5 bananas, 7 bananas. No no no no no nowdn-wnv bananan

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4621
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 8-2-2014 at 06:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's Edge & Christian for me. They are my undisputed ultimate tag team. All other teams have to compete for second place.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 4267
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 8-2-2014 at 06:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This was an insanely tough choice for me, and I finally decided to vote Dudleyz.

Improbable Result #1: now, after 68 votes, this poll is tied.

Improbable Result #2: Dev owes me one, for agreeing with him even though he is wrong most of the time.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-3-2014 at 03:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With both Dev and Rick supporting the Dudleyz, I'm predicting the Dudleyz are doomed.
thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 439
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

Mood: hopeful

posted on 8-3-2014 at 01:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow... i just voted and it brought this up to a tie?

I'm amazed at this result. Seriously, this is even a contest? In the ultimate tag team showdown, a team that was only together a few years is beating one of the longest running tag teams of all time?

When best tag teams of all time are mentioned, I need to look at longevity and primary identity as a tag team. Road warriors, Rock N Roll express, and the Dudleys come to mind first and foremost.

Honestly, I love the body of work put together by Edge and Christian... I'm a fan of the team and both guys individually. But to even have this be a contest blows my mind.

The Dudleys are literally the most decorated tag team of all time. They have managed to get over in every company they worked in, and that isn't just the bookers shoving them down fans' throats. They can get it done in the ring, and can hold almost any crowd in the palm of thier hands with promo work. They can sell their asses off, have a decent match against almost anyone, and have possibly the best tag team finisher ever.

Hell, Bubba was inciting near riots in the mid 90s in ECW, and he is still one of the best promo guys in the biz. I put him in the same category as CM Punk and Paul Heyman in terms of being able to talk people into the building. The difference... Bubba used that ability for the vast majority of 20 years to make fans care about his TEAM.

E&C had an amazing run, and I fondly remember all their antics and 5 second poses... but this vote shouldn't even be close in my opinion. If this was a vote of "Best WWE teams of the 1999 to 2002" then it would be a win for the Canadian boys. This is All Time.

Ok, getting off my soap box now.

"Is it too much to ask that the wrestling on my screen is fast paced, entertaining, interesting, and at least a little bit LOGICAL???"

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   thestoryofmikeb 's Yahoo
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3048
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 8-3-2014 at 09:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003
Location Darkest Australia

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2014 at 09:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thestoryofmikeb

I'm amazed at this result. Seriously, this is even a contest? In the ultimate tag team showdown, a team that was only together a few years is beating one of the longest running tag teams of all time?

It helps that I've actually been entertained way more by Edge & Christian, which is pretty impressive since I wasn't even watching the product when they were a team (my exposure to them is limited to a few old PPVs and stuff on Edge's DVD). The Duds never interested me when I saw them in WWE a decade ago.

Not that it really matters, since this was a throwaway vote for two wannabes that can never measure up to the greatness that was Rene and Kenzo. ;_;

(Also, at last count the Duds are up by two anyway.)

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9445
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2014 at 03:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thestoryofmikeb

When best tag teams of all time are mentioned, I need to look at longevity and primary identity as a tag team. Road warriors, Rock N Roll express, and the Dudleys come to mind first and foremost.

Honestly, I love the body of work put together by Edge and Christian... I'm a fan of the team and both guys individually. But to even have this be a contest blows my mind.

The Dudleys are literally the most decorated tag team of all time. They have managed to get over in every company they worked in, and that isn't just the bookers shoving them down fans' throats. They can get it done in the ring, and can hold almost any crowd in the palm of thier hands with promo work. They can sell their asses off, have a decent match against almost anyone, and have possibly the best tag team finisher ever.

Hell, Bubba was inciting near riots in the mid 90s in ECW, and he is still one of the best promo guys in the biz. I put him in the same category as CM Punk and Paul Heyman in terms of being able to talk people into the building. The difference... Bubba used that ability for the vast majority of 20 years to make fans care about his TEAM.

E&C had an amazing run, and I fondly remember all their antics and 5 second poses... but this vote shouldn't even be close in my opinion. If this was a vote of "Best WWE teams of the 1999 to 2002" then it would be a win for the Canadian boys. This is All Time.

Ok, getting off my soap box now.

This is pretty much my view. As great as Edge and Christian were, they never even had a cool nickname! It was always just "Edge and Christian." And they went on to such success as singles. The Dudleyz ARE the Dudleyz.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-5-2014 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just want to mention how crazy the voting results have been for this. Totally back and forth between both teams. It's fun to watch. Matte, you should proclaim a deadline so that we have an absolute winner. Either that or declare a draw (don't do that).

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 8-5-2014 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll make a deadline but I'm not going to announce it because I don't want to run the risk of fakes stuffing the box right before closing time.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12616
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-5-2014 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8839
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-5-2014 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll make a deadline that's when the one I want to win has for sure won and then that will be the deadline!

Don't Mess With Texas

OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 4267
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 8-5-2014 at 06:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In my position as OO Forums Figurehead Who Stands Around And Does Nothing While Guys Like Matte Are Awesome, I will now provide the last 25 or so usernames that voted in this poll (it's everybody who voted after me, since that's when it seems like Shit Got Real).

I have no idea WHO these people voted for (I'm not the NSA, so my data collection is limited), but I know in what order everybody voted, and these are the most recent:

mooseheadjack
the goon
Slade
Dead Ben
merc
The FFKing
Redback
cardscott5
punkerhardcore
Paddlefoot
chrisoc
mastermind
JMD
spot monkey
Blade
Volfan
standrir
thestoryofmikeb
Crofty
sherman
niles81
Arschclown
darreno34
bopol
SinisterMinister
JR
rsilva
chefb
CheMateo

Due to hardware limitations, I only turn on New Registration during PPV weekends and Mondays That Seem Like They'll Be Big. I voted on Saturday, so there are no new usernames in that time. These are are existing users.

I have negative appetite for stupid middle school melodrama, so I long since forgot the cheaters in the first Showdown and moved on. But if anybody recognizes one of those suspect accounts among the above list, you can speak up, and we can decide what to do about it. I won't go on a new witch hunt, but if one of the known assclowns is back at it, that's easy enough to fix.

As far as a deadline goes: just make it somewhere between now and SummerSlam, and that should take care of it. Unless there's some huge buzz for next week's RAW (when both Cena and Lesnar will be there AND Hogan), I can hold off on opening the doors to the unregistered till then.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2014 at 06:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
I have no idea WHO these people voted for (I'm not the NSA, so my data collection is limited), but I know in what order everybody voted, and these are the most recent

Question: is that list in order of most recent to least recent (in other words, mooseheadjack being the most recent on the list to vote and CheMateo being the least recent) or is it just in random order?

Also, it is kind of funny that the final round has roughly 20 more votes than any of the Final Four or Elite Eight rounds did. I'm not saying it's because of shenanigans, but those rounds all averaged about 70 total votes per match up and this one is about to hit 90.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4621
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 8-5-2014 at 09:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If the names are listed in order of when people voted, then Che would be the last to vote. After I voted, the results sat at something like 33-32 or thereabouts.

quote:
thestoryofmikeb

I don't think it is fair to discriminate against Edge and Christian for becoming successful singles stars. Look at the 3-4 years in which they were primarily a team. They were far and away superior to the Dudley Boyz during that stretch. The only reason they didn't accumulate as much tag team hardware as the Dudley Boyz is because the star power they accumulated as a tag team helped to catapult them to future success beyond their amazing tag team, whereas the Dudley Boyz bombed at the box office once they were separated. The Dudley Boyz attained its longevity by way of failing to make it on their own.

The days of making a career out of being tag team wrestlers died a few decades ago. For at least the last 20 years, every successful tag team that has come along has been used as a vehicle to try to create two bankable singles stars. Without fail, all of the best tag teams of the last 20 years have broken up with varying degrees of success. There are really only two primary reasons why tag teams tend to reunited: 1) when both wrestlers are late in their careers and there is money to be made by riding the waves of nostalgia created by their reunion; or 2) when both wrestlers tank in singles competition and the only way they can continue to make money is by reforming the team. The Dudley Boyz fall into the latter category and so they shouldn't be credited for all of that extra service time and all of those extra titles won after their aborted singles campaigns because had even one of them managed to make money on his own, nothing they did together from 2003 on would have happened.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3941
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 8-5-2014 at 01:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personally I discounted the comparison on how successful the Dudleys were in other promotions, simply because why should I penalize E&C because they never competed outside the WWE?

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 8-5-2014 at 02:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slade
I don't think it is fair to discriminate against Edge and Christian for becoming successful singles stars. Look at the 3-4 years in which they were primarily a team. They were far and away superior to the Dudley Boyz during that stretch. The only reason they didn't accumulate as much tag team hardware as the Dudley Boyz is because the star power they accumulated as a tag team helped to catapult them to future success beyond their amazing tag team, whereas the Dudley Boyz bombed at the box office once they were separated. The Dudley Boyz attained its longevity by way of failing to make it on their own.

The days of making a career out of being tag team wrestlers died a few decades ago. For at least the last 20 years, every successful tag team that has come along has been used as a vehicle to try to create two bankable singles stars. Without fail, all of the best tag teams of the last 20 years have broken up with varying degrees of success. There are really only two primary reasons why tag teams tend to reunited: 1) when both wrestlers are late in their careers and there is money to be made by riding the waves of nostalgia created by their reunion; or 2) when both wrestlers tank in singles competition and the only way they can continue to make money is by reforming the team. The Dudley Boyz fall into the latter category and so they shouldn't be credited for all of that extra service time and all of those extra titles won after their aborted singles campaigns because had even one of them managed to make money on his own, nothing they did together from 2003 on would have happened.

All right, this cements it for me. I've been wanting to vote E&C because I just liked them much much better but felt like I should vote Dudleys because they've been the biggest, longest lasting, most decorated tag team ever.

But then I remember the singles runs.

E&C up by 2

The "B" is for Bargain!

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2014 at 06:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been trying to think of how best to sum up why I voted for Edge and Christian, but I think Slade hit the nail on the head. It's easy to say "well, the Dudleys were around for way longer" but that's not really a fair argument when all it basically means is that Edge and Christian achieved major success after they were split up and the Dudleys didn't. And from a purely personal standpoint, for as long as the Dudleys have been around, how many of those years was I really interested in them as a team? The answer is not many. I got tired of their "wazzup/Devon, get the tables!" act in the WWE and I don't recall ever tuning in to Impact to see what Team 3D was up to.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Beeker
Fella

Posts 378
Registered 2-21-2003
Location nowhere near a computer

Mood: dooM

posted on 8-5-2014 at 10:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't think there is a wrong choice between these two teams. I hear the arguments in favour the Dudley's longevity but I never was able to watch ECW back when Buh-Buh was causing near riots... I can't truly appreciate that timeframe, I was never huge into ECW there was too much pointless weaponry.

E&C may have had the shorter run but during that time frame every time they were on screen, I was entertained.

Right now Bully is (or was) nailing it in TNA, if he'd tapped into this character or been given a bigger push or chance to shine, then the last decade of the Dudleyz wouldn't have happened.

I voted E&C for reeking of awesomeness, 5 second poses, con-chair-tos, kazoo themes, GM Foley, chicken suits and Conquistadores.

Forthcoming eventually maybe

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   Beeker 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9445
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2014 at 08:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
mooseheadjack

Who hijacked Moose's account?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Nobledictator1278
Fella

Posts 476
Registered 4-9-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2014 at 12:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know I can't talk cause i didn't vote in previous rounds...just didn't see it...but while I love Edge and Christian, I think it would be a shame for them to be crowned the best Tag Team of all time. I was about to argue the same for the Dudley's but after thinking about it some they certainly belong in the convo. I don't think E&C were together long enough to warrant this spot. Again I know Im too little too late....and this has been voted on.... but Road Warriors, Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, the Andersons, have to historically be ahead of E&C, Id think, mostly because Tag Team wrestling meant nothing during E&C's tenure. Dudleys get a pass from this problem, because they really have beat every decent team in past 15 years, and stayed relevant while doing it.
CheMateo
Showstopper

Posts 922
Registered 1-9-2008
Location Charming, Ca.

Mood: Ponce De Leon

posted on 8-14-2014 at 10:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nobledictator1278
I know I can't talk cause i didn't vote in previous rounds...just didn't see it...but while I love Edge and Christian, I think it would be a shame for them to be crowned the best Tag Team of all time. I was about to argue the same for the Dudley's but after thinking about it some they certainly belong in the convo. I don't think E&C were together long enough to warrant this spot. Again I know Im too little too late....and this has been voted on.... but Road Warriors, Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, the Andersons, have to historically be ahead of E&C, Id think, mostly because Tag Team wrestling meant nothing during E&C's tenure. Dudleys get a pass from this problem, because they really have beat every decent team in past 15 years, and stayed relevant while doing it.

I sort of agree with you. I enjoyed E&C quite a bit. Even when it morphed into RECK. But I feel there are other teams out there that are more deserving. Like The Funks, British Bulldogs, Midnight Express etc. But I think the Dudleys do deserve to be up there.

Where I disagree with you is where you say tag team wrestling meant nothing during E&C time. Not true, that was the last time WWE actually promoted tag team wrestling. Shane O'Mac may not have cared but it was pushed & the fans cared. Tag team wrestling was drawing. Tag team wrestling did matter during their time. I fondly remember that time with E&C, Hardyz, Dudleys, and even Benoit & Jericho tearing it up. It mattered.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top