The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (July 21, 2014)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 7-21-2014 at 10:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (July 21, 2014)

Tonight on RAW: the only thing WWE has officially announced is an appearance from Flo Rida, who will perform at least one song, which gets a big ol' "Who gives a shit?" outta me...

In the "not officially announced, but inevitable" category, you can expect Brock Lesnar to make his return tonight as Paul Heyman's "Plan C" (Heyman has tweeted that he's bringing "Plan C" to RAW, so it may not be "official," but close enough for government work)... he'll be going after John Cena's WWE Title at SummerSlam, and tonight will probably be more about Heyman selling "The Authority" on the idea than about Lesnar attacking Cena to set events in motion (in fact, Cena may not even be present tonight, as there are conflicting reports about his movie-shooting schedule affecting his availability over the next month; it IS known that he had to be pulled from the upcoming Australia tour because of this, but less clear on whether arrangements can be made to keep him on every RAW)...

Beyond that, getting the rest of the SummerSlam card set shouldn't require a lot of work... it seems pretty clear that Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins is gonna be a monster; we were talking about it as the best reason to watch Battleground, and now, WWE's pulled off the trick of making us want it even more, by pushing it back until they can deliver the goods on the second-biggest stage of the year...

Roman Reigns will probably slot into the #3 match on the card, against Randy Orton, in an offshoot of recent four-way events... from what I gather, the original plan of Reigns vs. Triple H has been pushed back in an effort to make September's Night of Champions 10PV as big a deal as possible (it's the first show that will require Network subscribers to re-up after the first 6-month commitment), and that leaves Reigns/Orton as the next biggest draw... probably throw Kane at Reigns, this week, and when it doesn't work, HHH moves on to Orton (Kane doing a full-fledged turn may or may not be in the cards), and of course, when Reigns wins at SummerSlam, Trips is all "Jesus Christ, I have to do everything myself"...

Jericho vs. Wyatt can't possibly be over... partly because Jericho's not the guy who comes back to win matches, he comes back to help make stars (if he's willing to job to Fandango at WrestleMania, he's not leaving WWE until Bray Wyatt's better off than he was before feuding with Y2J), but mostly because that match last night never quite hit top speed, and ended pretty abruptly/anticlimactically... Wyatt may have lost, but he can just sic Harper and Rowan on Jericho, and use the 3-on-1 to get Jericho all angried up and ready to fight again, maybe in a stip match of some kind (a la how Wyatt/Cena did a cage match to keep Harper/Rowan at bay)... in the meantime, I'll take another Jericho vs. Harper and/or some six-man tag matches including either the Usos or Goldust/Cody, please...

My instinct after last night was that a Miz/Ziggler feud over the IC Title was imminent and obvious, and that would make a nice SummerSlam match... but today, the indications are that WWE prefers a Miz/Sheamus Title Unification match at SummerSlam, and that the decision for Miz to win the IC Title was, in fact, a very late call (Ziggler had been planned to win) to take advantage of upcoming mainstream press that he'll be getting for "The Marine 4," and the title unification feud will keep his profile higher than a plain ol' IC Title defense... or, in other words, sorry 'bout yer damned luck, Dolph... it's not the way I'd have gone about it, but Miz/Sheamus should be pretty good, too, with Miz back in his comfort zone as a dickweed heel...

Not sure what's next for the Usos, but at this point, they're so bankable in terms of delivering super matches and getting huge reactions, that they're sure to be featured at SummerSlam... for the past month or so, the buzz has been that WWE is itching to call up the Ascension (current NXT tag champs), but the blueprint anymore involves weeks and weeks of vignettes to hype incoming talent, and those haven't even started yet, so I dunno if that's an option... sooner or later, the Dust Brothers are gonna have to stop their delightfully nutjob promos and start having substantial wrestling matches, so maybe SummerSlam is a worthwhile spot for a rare face vs. face match?

AJ vs. Paige had its moments last night, but was pretty obviously intent on trying to tell a story... and as jarring/off-kilter is it played out, it seems like the next step is something something Paige gets frustrated something something heel turn rematch...

Beyond that, it's a crapshoot as to what WWE will do to flesh out the undercard, but there are clearly PLENTY of available pieces to play with, both in terms of adding one or two more PPV-worthy stories, and in terms of keeping RAW loaded with 3 hours worth of entertaining content... for better or for worse, Rusev vs. Swagger seems like the front runner for a spot on the show; Swagger's the first guy to actually be presented as having a legit shot to beat Rusev, and the crowd was way into it; and I always try to be intellectually honest about the difference between What I Like and What Works; Rusev/Swagger is working...

Side Note: the mainstream press seems about as amused as I am by the cheapness and ethnocentrism on display, especially after Lana's comments about "current events" last night, to the point that WWE had to issue an apology today due to bad press, in which they didn't really apologize. Instead, they doubled down, insisting that "Hey, Lana never actually said Malaysian Airlines Flight 17, you just inferred it, which is exactly what we wanted you to do, but she still technically didn't say it," and then adding, "And hey, that's the schtick she's been doing for 3 months, so why should we have to change our Well Thought Out And Carefully Executed Character just because of unrelated events?"

And somewhere, Mohammed Hassan sheds a tear...

And then you've still got Cesaro, Kofi, Big E, Ziggler, RVD (though WWE is reporting he's suffering from an as-yet-unspecified injury), Dallas, Rose, Sandow, del Rio, Fandango, Rybaxel, the Funkadactyls/Bellas/other-second-tier women, and plenty more... Cesaro vs. Kofi/Big E certainly seems like a going concern, and a way to kill some time on Mondays, even if it doesn't lead to a PPV match... and I guess it's only fair to note that there's a belief that WWE really wants to do a Stephanie vs. Brie Bella match to pay off on that whole hot mess of a storyline, so there's that to look forward to...

I think that oughta cover it for tonight. End communication...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 7-21-2014 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
the decision for Miz to win the IC Title was, in fact, a very late call (Ziggler had been planned to win) to take advantage of upcoming mainstream press that he'll be getting for "The Marine 4,"

Man... what the hell kind of mainstream press do they get for a third direct-to-DVD sequel of a movie?

I ask that question part sarcastically, and part genuinely curious.

Edit-- upon thinking about it, I guess Miz could show up on like, Conan to promote Summerslam, and sneak in a plug for the movie. But I just can't see any legit talk show booking him only to promote Marine 4.

[Edited on 7-21-2014 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Beeker
Fella

Posts 378
Registered 2-21-2003
Location nowhere near a computer

Mood: dooM

posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Clearly Plan C is... Cesaro.
Heyman's maybe other semi-client. I keed, I keed. Coz then if Cesaro won, Heath Slater would have a legitimate claim as a viable contender. Only I would be entertained by that.

Forthcoming eventually maybe

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   Beeker 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7387
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good lord, who decided that anything with the Bellas that involved one or both of them talking for an extended period of time was a good idea? If Stephanie needs to be involved in Summerslam, couldn't she have picked someone better?
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4029
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hope Brie has become a wrestling machine in the time she we haven't seen her. It's the only way to justify these horrible segments.
Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, I don't think RAW had ever acknowledged Cena dating Nikki, but my understanding is that the Divas show has, so isn't Cena just the worst boyfriend, watching his girl get bullied by the authoritah?

Oh wait, everyone's in the locker room asking Jericho what happened after the television broadcast it worldwide...#WrestlingFanProblems

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 372
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

Mood: phoenetical

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goddamnit, Miz/Ziggler ... Well done, gentlemen.

Nine Pound Hammer. Kinda like my genitals.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3065
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"This is Awesome" during a Miz match? Anything can happen in WWE.

To be fair, it was a pretty great match.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
"This is Awesome" during a Miz match? Anything can happen in WWE.

To be fair, it was a pretty great match.

Shit...came here to make the same joke. Bravo.

Guess they are going with Ziggler-Miz after all. And good for it. Miz-Sheamus is quite the underwhelming unification match.

figure 4 junk lock
And I am AWESOME

Posts 119
Registered 2-1-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gotta love Dolph selling the knee while making the cover twice. It's the little things sometimes.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7387
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was a good match. But just one thing: when is a WWE title holder going to properly learn how to do their submission finisher?

Also, Cesaro/Ambrose? Sounds like Hella Fun.

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by nOOb]

figure 4 junk lock
And I am AWESOME

Posts 119
Registered 2-1-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
looks like Natalya went to Christian's tanning salon.
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3065
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And we have a heel turn. Nice beatdown by Paige to AJ.
Anthony
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 7-10-2009

Mood: Knee-y

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Uhh, since when did Zack friggin' Ryder suddenly have two valets in Layla AND Summer Rae? Cause that is pretty awesome.

[TheGuest] That's great, they kick Khali all over his torso and head and what does he sell? His knee.
[Dougie 2.0] Khalis kneebone is connected to his headbone
[Tommy D] Same way Welker hurt his knee.
[Sportsguy] Welker was jumped by the Nexus?
[Tommy D] yes they were so quick you couldn't even see them
[BC] you can't see me?

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 01:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
When was the last time Dolph Ziggler and Zack Ryder won a match on the same night?

Also:

The past 24 hours...

Cesaro < Heath Slater < Flo Rida?

Why, WWE, why.

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by S Kid J E T S 48]

jmble
Fella

Posts 277
Registered 6-29-2007
Location Cincinnati

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice of Triple H to stay in the back and just let Stephanie get arrested and taken away without coming down to be by her side. That's a solid husband there.

edited to add, okay. At least he came to her side in the back. I guess he's a better husband than John Cena is a boyfriend.

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by jmble]

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 372
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

Mood: phoenetical

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Laughing my ass off at the fact that sometime picked up how awful the chick singer sounded and turned her mic WAY down ...

Nine Pound Hammer. Kinda like my genitals.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3065
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Is this a hybrid? You must be driving yourselves - nice gig you've got here."

Stupid angle, but funny line.

EDIT: Okay, the arrest sucked, but segment after the arrest? Awesome.

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by denverpunk]

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The match will suck, but Brie vs. Steph should get quite the reaction at Summerslam.
whyme
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1039
Registered 2-4-2003
Location in my house

Mood: Minty Fresh

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
"Is this a hybrid? You must be driving yourselves - nice gig you've got here."

at least he still had time to bury the car while steph was getting arrested

Two Penguins sitting in a bathtub, one says pass the radio.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We're going to need a photoshop, fast.

I mean, holy crap...Kofi Kingston Heel Turn. More shocking than a Cena Heel Turn.

jaymosley6
Fella

Posts 352
Registered 1-27-2014

Mood: "Cup of coffee

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Nation was AWESOME by the way. Throw in some Titus O'Neil and, as Carl Weathers said in Arrested Development, "Baby you got a stew goin'!"
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7387
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A Kofi heel turn, and something for both Woods and Langston to do? I'll take it, no matter which of the supremacy groups from the late 90's they opt to recycle (so long as they don't bring back the other two and go with Race Wars 2010).
jmble
Fella

Posts 277
Registered 6-29-2007
Location Cincinnati

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
A Kofi heel turn, and something for both Woods and Langston to do? I'll take it, no matter which of the supremacy groups from the late 90's they opt to recycle (so long as they don't bring back the other two and go with Race Wars 2010).

Kaentai 2014 - Choppy Choppy your Pee Pee.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2014 at 02:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
...and suddenly the KENTA signing makes much more sense.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top