The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fargo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9484
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-21-2014 at 07:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fargo

Anybody else catch the first ep? I am fucking SOLD. Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton are outstanding so far. Billy Bob was born to play a badass hitman. And it's interesting seeing the little (and big) nuances/plot points where it veers away from the movie. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm glad I gave this one a shot, because same mindset: utterly sold. I was a bit afraid they may just try to stretch out the story of the original (only because something like Fargo, being out for as long as it has, is a hard remake to keep interesting), especially since the commercials made it seem like Freeman might be playing William H. Macy's part and Thornton would have been either of the kidnappers, but damn if they didn't fool me, especially considering the opening intro (an aside: Minnesota never really struck me as home for weird murder stories...then again, these are probably all two of the murders they've ever had).

It's just a shame the show has a shelf life of a season, but then again FX seems to have some other intriguing shows in the works, too.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9484
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-21-2014 at 08:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, FX really seems to be bringing the quality as of late. The Strain has me intrigued as well.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 4-21-2014 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Agreed. This show looks like a great one. Thornton totally owned with that role, probably the best thing he's done since Monster's Ball or even Sling Blade, especially with the conversation at the end with the "here there be dragons" comments that scared the cop off from arresting him. That was actually as intimidating a moment as what The King In Yellow got up to in True Detective. Count me in because this show looks like it's going to have a hell of a lot more "holy fuck!" moments coming up in the rest of the episodes.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 5-8-2014 at 09:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A few episodes in and this seems to still be in stride. I like the characters (but not rooting for anyone other than the lady cop at this point, mainly because her dad is LUNDY~!), and the acting is all around solid (even though Glen Howerton seems to be typecast into a comedy role, it's nice to see him a bit more bumbling than his usual sociopathic Dennis Reynold; sidenote: I loved the exchange last episode where Thornton asked him who else would know he was at the pet store, and he simply answered "My mom?")

My only gripe, and I don't even know if it's a gripe since this is based on a true story, is that young Stavros getting his empire started by way of the briefcase Buscemi hid in the movie seemed like it was there only to establish a connection between the movie and the TV show, which is unnecessary if it's just there for that, but is pretty awesome if that is how this all got underway (well, awesome story-wise, not so much for the dead people).

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-21-2014 at 09:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fuckin' bloodbath on last night's ep. Semenko and Stavros' idiot son in the car wreck. The dunski with the skin bronzer getting shot about 50 times by the SWAT team. Beardo Adam Goldberg getting his throat slit by Billy Bob. And lady cop getting shot by Barney Fife (Tom Hanks' kid), who could be the cop least likely to succeed as a cop in the entire history of cop-hood. To top it off good ol' Lester grinning in his hospital bed at the combined thought of (a) he might get away with all of it because (b) he just successfully pinned it all on his obnoxious brother.

I love this crazy show. Too bad it has to end.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8319
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 5-22-2014 at 03:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
The dunski with the skin bronzer getting shot about 50 times by the SWAT team.

I was a little miffed at that scene at first, since even the most rookie cop isn't going to blast up a house like that without knowing who/what is inside. And even before they entered, I thought... well they'll see him duct taped up and know he's a victim.

But the framing of the end of that part was pretty brilliant, with the light from the bullet holes making him look like a shadowy figure holding a gun on the cops.

Also-- it's funny how any time something happens to a driver in movies/TV, their immediate instinct is to jerk the steering wheel around, instead of simply applying the brakes. Have these people never driven a car before?

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-28-2014 at 05:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The bloodbath continues, now getting close to a GOT-sized body count, with Billy Bob chewing the scenery and putting himself in the running for Best Actor at the Emmys for portraying about the most awesome and cool sociopathic hitman of all time. Also Bilbo Baggins, high on adrenaline from successfully setting his brother up for his own crimes, reaches for the brass ring and gets laid by one hell of a hot drunken ex-stripper MILF.

I'm at a loss to think of any way that this show doesn't totally fucking own. Good news is that a second season, even if not with the same characters, sounds as good as guaranteed. And why not? What's FX gonna do with the time slot anyway, fill it up with more utterly execrable Modern Family or Two And A Half Assholes reruns?

[Edited on 5/28/2014 by Paddlefoot]

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 5-29-2014 at 08:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Billy Bob has a sure-fired award coming his way, especially since this will be considered a mini-series, meaning the only show it will really have to compete with might be True Detective (if they still consider that a mini-series). His walking into that building and the gunfight that followed (inside the building we went window-to-window in) was amazing.

And I'm very impressed with the casting, because they're grabbing guys I would be very confused to see cast in anything else and making it work. Key and Peele as the FBI agents staking out the Fargo HQ as Billy Bob casually walked past their car, into the building, and then right out of the crime scene via the alley was spot on. Enlisting a comedy duo to banter about the state of fast food hygienic qualities while a killer sneaks past them makes sense.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 6-4-2014 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been enjoying this a lot too, and the time jump really took my by surprise this week. When it started panning away I thought they were going to show Malvo lurking nearby, waiting to kill Gus. But the changes in that time are great, though I worry they may be aping the film too much by having Molly pregnant. Lester's transformation into an utter scumbag has been tremendous and I hope Freeman gets the recognition he deserves for it come awards season.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 6-11-2014 at 06:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not sure right now who's more cold blooded. Billy Bob for still killing everyone in sight, including a hottie who liked sticking her thumb up his ass. Or Baggins for sacrificing Wife #2 by deliberately sending her into a trap to take a bullet to the head for him.

Last episode next week. Ought to be a doozy.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 6-12-2014 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, Lester became a complete piece of shit. Spends that entire car ride listening to his wife talk abou how much she loves him and had a crush on him, and all he can muster is to tell her to put the hood on tight because it was cold out.

I do like how Malvo stopped by Lester's old place, asked if he was there, and then non-chalantly decided to tell the two little kids people were murdered at their new house and as a result it was now haunted. Loved it.

I am curious to see if Fargo goes the American Horror Story/True Detective route and do a different story next year, though if this is a one-off, it is fitting.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 6-12-2014 at 06:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's neat how cunning Lester's turned out to be. He provokes the shooting in the elevator but doesn't panic and cracks Malvo over the head with his trophy and gets away. He sees the wife get killed but once again doesn't panic and tear off in the car for Malvo to follow him; he sits tight with the lights and engine off and doesn't break cover at all.

I'm anticipating a big body count for the finale (the FBI guys, Gus, Molly's dad, Oswalt, the deaf hitman (if he escaped the hospital and is roaming around looking for Malvo) and probably a bunch of other police dead). At this stage though I'm almost convinced that Lester's going to get the drop on Malvo, instead of the other way around, and get away with it all. On his way out of town, he'll probably even end up finding the case full of money that Stavros buried in the snow. He can hook up with the milfy Widow Hess again, leave her two mongoloid sons behind them, and have a great time with the rest of his life.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 6-14-2014 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think there has to be an outcome where Lester is caught, because the show still has that "based on a true story" thing, which isn't actually true, but because it says that, then in-universe to make sense there has to be some way the story gets out.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8319
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-14-2014 at 06:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Man, Lester became a complete piece of shit. Spends that entire car ride listening to his wife talk abou how much she loves him and had a crush on him, and all he can muster is to tell her to put the hood on tight because it was cold out.

Plus, she jumped in and totally covered for him when Molly was questioning him about changing their flight. And she didn't even ask Lester about it after Molly left. Like she did it out of instinct to protect her husband, and didn't even care why. So, yeah... Lester turning her into a coal mine canary after all that is a pretty high level of evil.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 9-23-2014 at 02:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm on episode 3. Between this and The Leftovers, I feel simply taxed after watching the television for a couple hours. It's great stuff, really it is. But man... it's so dark and brutal and ugh... At least Fargo has Billy Bog being fucking awesome. The Leftovers just drains me and never has a funny moment.

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top