The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (March 17, 2014)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 3-17-2014 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (March 17, 2014)

Tonight on RAW: nothing official has been announced, but we can safely assume that it'll be more of full-speed-ahead-to-WrestleMania... that will mean furthering the stories behind matches that already exist, and maybe fleshing out a handful of new ones...

In terms of the WM Main Event, we sort of have to treat it as two matches in one.... because we can't "officially" say it's Orton vs. Batista vs. Bryan for the WWE Title, but at the same time, we know it pretty much has to be that way unless WWE has a death wish... so the trick is to make sure the HHH/Bryan Prelude Match continues to have compelling elements so that fans don't just give up and overlook it; I think simply painting Bryan as a super underdog so that fans want to see his revenge on Hunter is all you have to do... it doesn't matter that circumstances dictate that Bryan has to win; we still all really want to see it... then all you have to do is keep a modicum of prickly heat between Orton and Batista, so that there's a credible facade of them being WM Rivals, all while the real story is them being united in their dislike/disrespect of Bryan... from where I sit, it's really starting to feel like this little 2-match arc has all the tools necessary to steal the show, just so long as WWE doesn't decide to get too cutesy or clever about it...

Taker/Lesnar should be plenty good enough, too, in a Spectacle-y sort of way (which is a perfectly valid way to be good for Undertaker and his one-match-per-year status)... sounds like this week is a week where Taker will be present for TV, but Lesnar is not, so we'll so how that factors into the build-up...

Cena/Wyatt is also pretty much set for WM, but I'm like most of you in so far as I was upset by Cena's tone-deaf comedic promo last Monday (singing Jimmy Buffett songs and so forth)... I'm not saying Cena's not the prohibitive favorite or anything, but jesus, at least have him take the match half-seriously by taking Bray's gimmick/character at face value... Ambrose/the Shield did a great job of calling Bray a misguided cult leader (pointing out the holes/shortcomings of said character), without making the guy a laughingstock... Cena needs to do the same, and quit being such an infantile little jackwagon, otherwise you're not gonna have any real buy-in from anyone (tween Cena fans, nor grown adult wrestling fans)...

The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale is the fifth and (for now) final official match on the card... about a half-dozen guys are entered, and they're making a semi-big-deal about naming future entrants/qualifiers... seems like it'll be the dumping ground for pretty much all the mid-card, and the only questions are: (1) will guys who wrestle in the battle royale have other matches (I wish they would, so we'd have an IC Title Match, and stuff like that; but I'm guessing not, since it's important to protect Bryan's feat of being the only guy to wrestle twice), and (2) is anyone other than Big Show really gonna win this thing?

After last week, it seems very likely that a sixth WM match will pit Kane against some configuration of the Shield... a singles match against Reigns seems like the favorite (with Rollins/Ambrose in the battle royale), but there's also some smark talk about Kane recruiting a few NXT'ers to join him for a six-man tag (which would certainly play to the Shield's strength, in terms of match quality)...

The Usos still haven't given the NAO the obligatory tag title rematch, so they might actually be saving that back for WM... I think I'd still rather see that expanded into a 4-way or other multi-match, but that might not be plausible given the need to fill up the battle royale... regardless, the tag titles will provide a 7th match at the PPV...

From what I hear, Naomi is planning to be back in action in time for Mania, so I fully expect them to immediately rejoin her feud against AJ in progress, providing us with an 8th match for the PPV...

Other possibilities for WM: the break-up of the Real Americans is almost complete, and those two would be perfect candidates for a palate cleansing WM match (which is too bad, since I'd rather they get the full 10-15 mintues to shine, but beggars can't be choosers at WM)... Swagger/Cesaro might also just get tossed into the Battle Royale, or could be tapped for youtube pre-show duties... another good throw-away/palate cleanser would be Santino/Emma vs. Fandango/Summer; it would also be perfectly fine as a pre-show match... speaking of Fandango, there's still time to build up a special Debut Match for Alexander Rusev (much like how they made a big deal of Fandango's in-ring debut at last year's Mania), which would be a nice, short, to-the-point mini-attraction for the card... while AJ/Naomi would dare to reek of Actual Wrestling, you know WWE might still throw out a second diva affair out there, with Bowling Shoe tendancies, if they think it'll draw attention to That Which OO Does Not Acknowledge on the E! "Network"... I gather Roddy Piper is still pushing for there to be a Piper's Pit at Mania, too, and even if that doesn't happen, I'm sure there will be a non-wrestling segment or three; there always are, and we can only cross our fingers and hope they tend more towards value-added promos/angles (like a Pit), and not shitty, non-sequitur musical performances and the ilk...

Hopefully that'll set you up for tonight's show... I know I said I planned to return to recapping with tonight's RAW, but that may not happen (and if it does, it'll be delayed by a day or two), as my Hollywood Brother decided to fly-in and visit during my convalescence... and while we aren't exactly tearing it up and partying like rock stars, due to my still-delicate condition, I feel like it'd be rude of me to withdraw from a round of brotherly bonding so I can go type up a recap... so I might have to take a pass on that, or get to it when I get to it, later in the week... we'll see.

Till then: That is all. End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ecosystem
The Rowdy One

Posts 2979
Registered 5-18-2004

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does anyone here not want to see HHH squash Daniel Bryan and go win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the main event just to see what happens?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm expecting a draw followed by a Fatal Four Way somehow. And I would totally be fine with that.
Nikhil
And I am AWESOME

Posts 163
Registered 7-12-2011
Location USA

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was thinking the same. It is probably going to be a count out or something in the HHH-Bryan match...

YNWA

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I keep wondering where this Randy Orton has been. Maybe it's the fact he's been hidden behind Big Show and Cena stuff for the past four months, but this Randy Orton is the best Randy Orton. The right mix of cocky douche and psychopath, but more of the former than the latter. That's a Randy Orton I can watch.
austin_83
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 84
Registered 9-14-2009

Mood: Lighting

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While still considering the fact that Randy Orton is a known ass-hat, his interactions with the fans over the past few weeks have been really good and are a nice touch to his character. A few weeks ago, after a top-rope hangman DDT, it was the "See? I've never done that before! It's not the same old shit!" And tonight, the "there is no bell!" comment at the fan. Despite all of the shit he gets, 2014 Randy Orton is utterly watchable a lot of the time.

Side note: No idea why, because they're definitely not my style, but I really started getting into the Kane-Randy Orton matches leading into their Wrestlemania match a couple of years ago. I think the suspensions (or possibly the divorce too?) might have made Randy mature a little bit and actually, you know, try.

Hey Yo

austin_83
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 84
Registered 9-14-2009

Mood: Lighting

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Uh...Goldust might have some words for ol' Johnny Curtis backstage. What a Goddamn slop-fest those last two minutes were.

Hey Yo

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My new WM fantasy...

1) Daniel Bryan makes it into the main event/title match, either by outright winning or Hulk Hogan intervention etc.

2) Ride of the Valyries hits for Bryan entrance. Huge YES chants etc.

3) Music hits for EVOLUTION (Was there 'evolution' music? Don't know, but whatever works for them) HHH, Orton and Batista come out united.

4) HHH grabs the mike. It's gonna be a 3-1 handicap match and Bryan must pin ORTON to become champion.

5) (Optional) Some good guy authority figure makes it elimination handicap.

6) Bryan wins.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 3-18-2014 at 01:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought Goldust landed on his head when he did his Goldie-can-rana. Probably got himself a nice little concussion there. That's a shame, because, outside the four or five chinlocks, that was a fun little time waster.
Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

posted on 3-18-2014 at 02:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just wanted to give a nod to someone doing the small things right. Cody nailed the casual cool good guy when he saved Summer Rae at the apron there. Perfect body language.
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12827
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 3-18-2014 at 02:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbie

3) Was there 'evolution' music?

Was there ever!

http://youtu.be/nXMOvMba2bM

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

posted on 3-18-2014 at 02:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh god, I'd blocked it out. Orton's tongue was the stuff of nightmares.

The video makes a good point though: They need Flair to come out with them.

LurkerDuck
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 14
Registered 2-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 02:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbie
Oh god, I'd blocked it out. Orton's tongue was the stuff of nightmares.

The video makes a good point though: They need Flair to come out with them.

I was really hoping that the HHH/Orton/Batista showdown ended with Flair coming out to soothe tensions and remind all of them of their past and how they can team up to keep the title away from Bryan.

Btw how awesome is "Line in the Sand?" one of the few WWE themes I have on my iPod, along with "One of a Kind", "Metalingus" and "Real American" (for purely nostalgic reasons only.)

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 02:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After watching a bunch of the old WWE Network stuff I can appreciate it more that they've gone back to jobbers i.e. Bray Wyatt vs. Kofi Kingston.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3095
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow.
Anthony
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 7-10-2009

Mood: Knee-y

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
Wow.

That's a pretty good way to describe it.

[TheGuest] That's great, they kick Khali all over his torso and head and what does he sell? His knee.
[Dougie 2.0] Khalis kneebone is connected to his headbone
[Tommy D] Same way Welker hurt his knee.
[Sportsguy] Welker was jumped by the Nexus?
[Tommy D] yes they were so quick you couldn't even see them
[BC] you can't see me?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, that was one hell of a beatdown. I know some people might complain that it's Triple H going over as usual, but I think it just upped the ante in this feud about a thousand percent. And I'm surprised they even went with a chairshot to the head spot...is Triple H going to fine himself for that?

On a different note, I'm surprised by all the big-name talent that's being wasted in the Andre the Giant battle royal. Could they really not find something for Sheamus, Christian, Del Rio, Big Show, Ziggler, Big E, etc to do on the biggest show of the year?

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If anybody is surprised that Triple H is going to look freaking unbeatable heading in to Mania, you need to stop and think. The WWE need fans to believe Bryan winning isn't automatic.

So yes, Triple H is going to look good.

And yes, Bryan is going get his ass kicked.

And yes, we are going get a lot of Triple H.

But more importantly...Vince is going to get the Superdome going YES, YES, YES and making a WrestleMania moment to play over and over again.

BlueChipper
And I am AWESOME

Posts 144
Registered 4-7-2013

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Yeah, that was one hell of a beatdown. I know some people might complain that it's Triple H going over as usual, but I think it just upped the ante in this feud about a thousand percent. And I'm surprised they even went with a chairshot to the head spot...is Triple H going to fine himself for that?

On a different note, I'm surprised by all the big-name talent that's being wasted in the Andre the Giant battle royal. Could they really not find something for Sheamus, Christian, Del Rio, Big Show, Ziggler, Big E, etc to do on the biggest show of the year?

Have they even mentioned the format of the Andre battle royal? Will it be a standard battle royal or more along the lines of the Royal Rumble?

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

posted on 3-18-2014 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"You see, Daniel, what happened in the past doesn't matter any more. All that matters is this moment here, with me and you. It's like everything has been happening to bring me and you together for this moment."

Question: Is Triple H quoting his wedding vows to Bryan?

[Edited on 3-18-2014 by Jumbie]

jaymosley6
Fella

Posts 352
Registered 1-27-2014

Mood: "Cup of coffee

posted on 3-18-2014 at 04:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If anyone has read the stuff about Triple H being a big fan of old school NWA and St. Louis wrestling and wondered what that meant, that last segment says it all.

The product may overemphasize HHH's importance from time to time, but you can't underestimate how much he understands that people will pay GOOD MONEY to see a good heel get the dog shit kicked out of him.

Could this heat have easily been placed on a full-time talent? Sure. But there's no denying that people are looking forward to these two things the most at WM:

1. Daniel Bryan
2. HHH getting his head kicked clean the fuck off.

Hell, at this point, people would probably cheer if Stephanie got kicked as well!

That was a hell of a beatdown and Bryan sold it like a champ while still being defiant (hopeful headbutting, yelling at Stephanie "You hit like a girl!")

I hope those two open the show and it gets 20-25 to tell a good story and that the match ends with HHH tapping.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1097
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-18-2014 at 04:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well yeah...if Bryan is truly winning at Mania, then that's how the next few weeks are gonna be.

I wasn't totally convinced Bryan was winning at 'Slam until it happened and I don't think I'll be convinced this time around either. There's always the possibility of a SWERVE~! in the forecast.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 04:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ecosystem
Does anyone here not want to see HHH squash Daniel Bryan and go win the WWE World Heavyweight Championship in the main event just to see what happens?

I mentioned in another thread that we're in a win/win situation now...either Bryan prevails and we all get our WrestleMania moment, or he doesn't, and we see the crowd massively shit on everything at Mania and the next night on RAW. It's going to be entertaining either way, but for completely different reasons.

And as I've seen a few people mention, I could see the possibility of Bryan/Triple H ending in a draw and both guys getting inserted into the main event. Then they could go with Bryan making Triple H tap out to win the WWE title.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Nobledictator1278
Fella

Posts 476
Registered 4-9-2013

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2014 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
HHH throwing some barbs at CM Punk there.

It would be nice if they can figure out a way to reconcile, because I think CM Punk returning as a jealous heel would be great vs Daniel Bryan, because its good for business. IF there is any swerve it would be with CM Punk helping HHH win. But then we still have the problem of a heel main event. No swerves happening here, no way DB doesnt' leave Wrestlemania without the title.

I know Im in the minority I have always liked HHH as a heel as well as Stephanie and I feel they play their roles well.

One issue I have with the show right now, they have 3 hours of Raw, and 2 hours of Smackdown, and the only Wrestlemania matches that really have a decent story is Cena vs Bray Wyatt, HHH vs Bryan and UT vs Brock (and really its not a story but a spectacle that everyone knows the outcome of), with a main event match that needed saving a week ago.

Im not complaining about some of the direction of the card, I am not one of those folks that thinks Bryan is the best ever, but I do appreciate how ever he is.

It blows my mind that with a roster full of talented folks, they can't have more compelling under card matches. Its retarded to me to have titles not featured, if you don't want to feature the talent with the titles the move the title, that person shouldn't have it if you don't believe in them enough to put them on the show. Personally I think alot of the talent looks bored in the ring right now, that 8 man tag screamed boredom from the talent except for Dolph Ziggler who just looks like he is trying so hard he is almost over selling.

[Edited on 3-18-2014 by Nobledictator1278]

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

posted on 3-18-2014 at 05:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nobledictator1278
HHH throwing some barbs at CM Punk there.

[Edited on 3-18-2014 by Nobledictator1278]

The 'take their ball and go home' line? Nah, man that was for Kaval...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top