The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thor: The Dark World (spoilers inside)
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7703
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-1-2014 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thor: The Dark World (spoilers inside)

After searching through the last few pages of the Movies/TV/Etc forum, I was a bit surprised to find that there was never a thread for this movie when it was in theaters, given the fair amount of comics nerds we have here. Anyhow, I just caught it the other night and really liked it for the most part and only have two real complaints: One, I thought the villain came off a bit too generic and unmemorable. I know that the character is from the comic book, but he really didn't do much for me. Two, I thought the plot veered a little too much into nonsensical "bad guy has to extract magical alien liquid from Natalie Portman so that he can take over the universe while the nine dimensions align" territory. I wouldn't exactly call the plot overly complex, but I think it could have been a little more simplified than it was.

Otherwise, I found the movie quite enjoyable and it's impressive that they were able to get literally the entire cast of the first movie back for the sequel. I think one of the strengths of The Dark World (and to a slightly lesser extent, the first movie) is the fantasy/reality mixture of jumping back and forth from Asgard to Earth, which somehow works really well. And of course, Tom Hiddleston completely kills it as Loki once again. Overall, I liked it better than Iron Man 3 and would probably put it in 8 out of 10 territory.

Now, onto a couple of spoilers:

Loki "turning" on Thor and subsequently being "killed" both swerved me. I was kind of pissed, because I thought that was too anti-climatic of a way for him to go out, so I was glad to see that wasn't the case. Though one minor complaint, it never quite explained how Loki survived being impaled, unless it was an illusion or something. You basically watch his death scene and then the next time you see him, he's in the form of an Asgardian soldier.

The "Captain America" cameo was unexpected and pretty damn funny.

So, the Collector...looks like we now know where things are going leading up to Avengers 3 way down the road. And it's funny, because I've seen a few comments online saying that the Collector's lair looked oddly low-budget and a little cheesy, which I kind of thought as well. For instance, the girl with the red skin looked like she just walked out of an episode of Star Trek circa 1967 or something.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 3-1-2014 at 11:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Collector looks to be one of the villains for Guardians of the Galaxy, or at least a sizable part of it. If anything, the ending makes me want to see Guardians a lot more than I did before.

The movie itself...more than anything it came across as good, harmless fun. So far, the extent of the connection between this movie and the rest of the Marvel Movie Universe was an episode of Agents of SHIELD that, umm, really didn't connect much of anything other than now SHIELD has assorted pieces of the Dark Elf ship. And, apparently, the Collector has the Ether, which, when put into a cube, makes it an Infinity Gem (I would take its being red meaning the Power Gem)?

It'll be interesting to see how all these movies tie in, or if this ties into the universe outside of the gem and the ship fragments. And, obviously, Marvel and Disney will want to wait until they introduce the Reality Gem:

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12752
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 3-2-2014 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
that video was fucking awesome.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7703
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2014 at 08:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
that video was fucking awesome.

Agreed. Patton Oswalt is a fucking genius for that!

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
The Collector looks to be one of the villains for Guardians of the Galaxy, or at least a sizable part of it. If anything, the ending makes me want to see Guardians a lot more than I did before.

Yeah, word on the street is that the Collector is going to be appearing in Guardians of the Galaxy in some capacity, so that's a nice way to link Guardians with the rest of the Marvel film universe. I guess we're going to see things get more intergalactic from here on out.

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
And, apparently, the Collector has the Ether, which, when put into a cube, makes it an Infinity Gem (I would take its being red meaning the Power Gem)?

I read somewhere online where the director of Guardians of the Galaxy said that the Tesseract and the Aether are two of the Infinity Gems (red being power and blue being mind) and we would see a third one pop up in Guardians. That would mean that there are still three more to be revealed (yes, I did my geek homework on Wikipedia) between now and Avengers 3 way down the road, but I figure this is going to keep building up in the Marvel films until we get there.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1671
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2014 at 04:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like it better the second time I watched it - I really didn't like how Eric just happened to have (or be able to build) the gravimetirc rods on hand that would end up saving the day. It just seemed too easy.

On the flip side, Hemsworth, Hiddleston, Elba, et al, they were great. And asgard looked a lot cooler in this one.

I'm pretty sure I spotted the Collector in the Guardians trailer (yup, right at the 2:00 mark), and if this is building toward the Infinity Gauntlet for Avenger 3, then holy moley.

(Edited to add working link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM )

[Edited on 3-2-2014 by Fifth Horseman]

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2802
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-3-2014 at 07:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The gems things was a cool move to set up the eventual Infinity Gauntlet. I'm going to assume, if we get the rumored Dr Strange movie, that the Eye of Agamotto will end up being a gem too.

My favorite part of the movie was how ridiculous the final battle was. The fucking with physics had me laughing in the theater.

Winter Soldier and Guardians both look amazing for this year. Marvel has mastered their formula for making entertaining movies. Spiderman is my favorite fictional character of all time, but even I can't pretend Amazing Spiderman 2 looks half as good as either of Marvel's movies.

OO's only mammal penguin

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 3-3-2014 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fifth Horseman
I like it better the second time I watched it - I really didn't like how Eric just happened to have (or be able to build) the gravimetirc rods on hand that would end up saving the day. It just seemed too easy.

Well according to the commentary, originally Thor was going to defeat Malekith by drawing lighting from all 9 realms at once, but because that didn't tie the story together in any real way, they instead went with a solution that gave Jane a purpose in the movie.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 3-4-2014 at 05:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Otherwise, I found the movie quite enjoyable and it's impressive that they were able to get literally the entire cast of the first movie back for the sequel.

Different Fandral. Josh Dallas played him in the first film, Zach Levi in the 2nd. Other than that, yeah. Oh, who cares? Jaimie Alexander was in both.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

salmonjunkie

Posts 12752
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 3-4-2014 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The DVD/Blu Ray has the Marvel One-Shot "All Hail The King" starring Ben Kingsley as Treveor Slattery aka the actor who pretended to be The Mandarin. It's very good and very funny. Kingsley is awesome. And it also opens that door that you thought closed in Iron Man 3.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Laruecifer
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: stoneded

posted on 3-4-2014 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Justin Hammer appears in the one shot as well
salmonjunkie

Posts 12752
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 3-4-2014 at 09:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hammer's bit is funny too. Definitely the best one-shot so far.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 3-5-2014 at 03:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not here, baby.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top