The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road To Wrestlemania Thread
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-27-2014 at 03:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Road To Wrestlemania Thread

Use this thread for news, rumors, musings, rants, and (mild) fantasy booking related to the lead up to Wrestlemania.

Please excluse Streak talk to the Streak thread.

This is the first "unofficial" official Wrestlemania card. It is VERY similar to the rumored matches from several days ago, but with the addition of a few:

*Batista vs. Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight Title
*Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker
* Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena
*CM Punk vs Triple H
* Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus
*Ultimate Warrior vs. Ryback
* Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins vs. Roman Reigns/Sting

[Edited on 1-27-2014 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Anthony
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 7-10-2009

Mood: Knee-y

posted on 1-27-2014 at 03:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know if this was touched upon already on the other thread, but Warrior in a match just seems really odd to me. He hasn't been in a match in over 5 years and is in his mid-50's now. I just don't see him as being fit enough to compete in an actual match, although I could be wrong.

[TheGuest] That's great, they kick Khali all over his torso and head and what does he sell? His knee.
[Dougie 2.0] Khalis kneebone is connected to his headbone
[Tommy D] Same way Welker hurt his knee.
[Sportsguy] Welker was jumped by the Nexus?
[Tommy D] yes they were so quick you couldn't even see them
[BC] you can't see me?

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Well, the Rumor Crap thread got a little bloated and un-readable. This time of year is always rife with rumors, musings, and a little bit of "news". Remember, take everything on here with a grain of salt. Or the whole shaker.

Think this thread can be improved from the other one by sourcing the rumors.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-27-2014 at 04:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Kid J E T S 48
quote:
Well, the Rumor Crap thread got a little bloated and un-readable. This time of year is always rife with rumors, musings, and a little bit of "news". Remember, take everything on here with a grain of salt. Or the whole shaker.

Think this thread can be improved from the other one by sourcing the rumors.

Good idea.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-27-2014 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Let's make this the general Road to Wrestlemania thread as well (or pre-WM thread).

What tends to happen this time of year is every thread gets going on speculation, fantasy booking, etc, and stuff either gets lost or repeated 100x because of it.

We've done Pre-WM threads before for this purpose and it has generally worked.

Except keep Streak Talk the fuck out of here.

Don't Mess With Texas

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 04:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think based on rumor and last night that there's about a 100% chance that Cody vs. Goldust happens at Mania. I just don't want them to make Cody the heel in the split, since he never really got a chance to go solo as a face.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Big Bank Hank
Fella

Posts 343
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood: I paid my taxes

posted on 1-27-2014 at 06:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

I ate a whole pint of Haagen Daz last night and there's a pitch black streak in my undies and I don't even remember farting...

Don't tell me what to do!!!

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would like to tlak about my fantasy booking of the combination of Sting and Daniel Bryan teaming up to end the streak...

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Nevermind.

I will say this: I never buy Wrestlemania. Ever. And with the Network launching in a month, I don't think it is going to matter. But I have to say, I've never had so little interest in a Wrestlemania before it happened as I do with this, yet never have I been so intrigued by the potential reaction of a crowd as I have this one (because, let's face it: Bryan isn't going for the title, and he isn't ending you know what).

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-27-2014 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
salmonjunkie posted in the Rumble thread about a triple threat for Mania involving Batista, Orton and Bryan.

I was going to reply that in the WWE's mind, Bryan can't beat Orton one one one, so there is no way he can beat Orton AND Batists in the same match.

and then this thought occurred:

UNLESS HE TURNED HEEL

Imagine a scenario where The Authority continues to "try to keep Bryan down" and "force feeds us" Orton and Batista. They make Bryan jump through hoop after hoop and overcome obstacle after obstacle.

Finally, The Authority relents and makes it a triple threat match for Mania for the title. 80,000 fans are chanting Daniel Bryan and YES YES YES anticipating a babyface finish to the main event in the Super Dome.

The match is a classic with Bryan taking much of the heat. At the end of the match Bryan is on the outside, selling. Batista is in control. He readies Orton for a Batista Bomb, but the Authority arrive at ringside. Batista gets into a verbal spat with HHH on the apron, he turns around into an RKO from nowhere! Orton goes for the cover, ONE, TWO...but HHH yanks the official out of the ring disrupting the count and sending him back to the locker room. Orton can't believe it. Meanwhile, Bryan back in the ring as Orton argues with HHH. Stephanie gets up on the apron and hands Bryan a chair. Bryan looks at it, looks at her, looks at the fans. Orton finally turns around. BOOM! Chairshot from Bryan. He drops the chair, and covers. HHH slides in and counts the pinfall. Bryan is your new champion and celebrates with Vince, HHH and Stephanie as the crowd showers him with boos and NO! chants.

The next night on RAW, Bryan explains that all the Daniel Bryan chants and YES! chants did nothing for him; that selling out to the Authority was the only way he saw to become WWE Champion. HHH congratulates him and says that at first he thought very little of Daniel Bryan, but he saw Bryan run the gauntlet and pay his dues the last few months, and he deserved to be the FACE of the WWE.

A heel turn on par with Austin at Wrestlemania 17.

-- The Rick

futurelegend91
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 81
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Space Mountain, fat boy!

Mood: Meh.

posted on 1-27-2014 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Damn good booking there, Charger. Couple that with the fact that Jim Ross said on his blog that he believes that WWE is just taking their sweet-ass time making Bryan a top guy, and it makes sense. Bryan could easily be a bigger heel than Orton, even HHH, if that was to happen.
But, we all know we're talking about WWE here, so it probably won't happen that way.

"I hope you don't mind me hanging out all day and talking to you. I don't think you do mind. I've got a seventh sense about that sort of thing. My sixth sense is I can tell when squirrels are afraid."

Arschclown
rOOkie

Posts 29
Registered 10-6-2009

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 08:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It wouldn't work. That chair hitting Orton releases the loudest 'YES!' ever, even if StepHHH hands it to DB. If you don't do anything to set the turn up beforehand, he'll get cheered stomping kittens at WM.

[Edited on 27-1-2014 by Arschclown]

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-27-2014 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not sure that hitting a heel once with a chair would really work for an epic heel turn. Austin was hitting one of the biggest faces of all time over and over again with a chair and celebrating with one of the biggest heels of all time. Even with all that his heel turn didn't really completely take.

OO's only mammal penguin

futurelegend91
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 81
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Space Mountain, fat boy!

Mood: Meh.

posted on 1-27-2014 at 09:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arschclown
It wouldn't work. That chair hitting Orton releases the loudest 'YES!' ever, even if StepHHH hands it to DB. If you don't do anything to set the turn up beforehand, he'll get cheered stomping kittens at WM.

[Edited on 27-1-2014 by Arschclown]

They have been setting it up, ever since HHH stripped DB of the title. Granted, this hasn't been building for years, like Austin/McMahon, but it has been building. Even DB's in-character tweets about the machine keeping him down, and all of that, can be used.
But, as you mentioned, the fans are at such a fever pitch for DB to be THE GUY that they will be happy with him winning, regardless of the method. I whole-heartedly believe that Batista wouldn't have returned if he wasn't going to have a run with the title while he is using the WWE to cross-promote "Guardians of the Galaxy." In my mind, he is a lock to win at WrestleMania.
I just hope J.R. is right and HHH and co. know exactly what they're doing with this. Doubt it, but I can hope.

quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
I'm not sure that hitting a heel once with a chair would really work for an epic heel turn. Austin was hitting one of the biggest faces of all time over and over again with a chair and celebrating with one of the biggest heels of all time. Even with all that his heel turn didn't really completely take.

Very true. In a perfect world (i.e. perfect set-up, none of this booking on-the-fly), Charger's scenario could work. But, as with Austin, the fans are so enamored with him that the turn wouldn't stick, IMO. I guess I'm just hoping to be surprised by WWE, but I really know better than to hold my breath.

"I hope you don't mind me hanging out all day and talking to you. I don't think you do mind. I've got a seventh sense about that sort of thing. My sixth sense is I can tell when squirrels are afraid."

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're going to have Daniel Bryan "turn heel" twice in 3 months? The first one didn't take and I don't think there's a single wrestler in the world right now that can be used to turn him heel - he's above everyone.

And frankly - why would we be trying to change something we love? Just to get him to the top? What's the point of that? I'd rather have him being 100% approved and loved and getting the best reactions and not being champion than Austining it and like Austin, us regretting changing the character completely, making him something different, and him never being quite as big of a face ever again.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-27-2014 at 09:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
You're going to have Daniel Bryan "turn heel" twice in 3 months? The first one didn't take and I don't think there's a single wrestler in the world right now that can be used to turn him heel - he's above everyone.

And frankly - why would we be trying to change something we love? Just to get him to the top? What's the point of that? I'd rather have him being 100% approved and loved and getting the best reactions and not being champion than Austining it and like Austin, us regretting changing the character completely, making him something different, and him never being quite as big of a face ever again.

The first one wasn't a heel turn, per se. It was Bryan pretending to be a heel.

Also, the sight of Bryan hugging and smiling with Stephanie McMahon and HHH and Vince would make everyone boo in that arena. Plus, think about the reaction if Bryan walks out on RAW the next night, beard freshly shaven, in an Armani suit, with the belt on one shoulder.

Yes, we love our underdogs, until our underdogs sell out. That's why Austin's heel turn was never believable. We didn't see Austin as the underdog. The fans didn't understand WHY he turned heel. His character didn't NEED to. With Bryan, we would understand why he felt he needed to sell out, but we would hate him for doing it.

-- The Rick

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 09:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Also, the sight of Bryan hugging and smiling with Stephanie McMahon and HHH and Vince would make everyone boo in that arena. Plus, think about the reaction if Bryan walks out on RAW the next night, beard freshly shaven, in an Armani suit, with the belt on one shoulder.

Yes, we love our underdogs, until our underdogs sell out. That's why Austin's heel turn was never believable. We didn't see Austin as the underdog. The fans didn't understand WHY he turned heel. His character didn't NEED to. With Bryan, we would understand why he felt he needed to sell out, but we would hate him for doing it.

What have HHH and Stephanie done since Hell in the Cell that would make them even heels? Treated John Cena well. Acted against Randy Orton. Welcomed Batista back with open arms. Made matches that hurt the Shield. Unified titles, which was very popular with people...etc.

How are they heels? Who would care? At this point it's all meta and insider and we'd look at this as WWE, the company, deciding to put the title on our favorite. We'd be ecstatic, no matter what he did.

C'mon. He was 1/5th as over after his 18 second Wrestlemania match and we were still loving him, despite verbally abusing his girlfriend on air. There's nothing you can do to turn him.

All you are doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Take away all the things we love about Daniel Bryan so he can become a heel? You know how hard it is to build a pure face, let alone someone this freaking over with everyone, no matter the age? Then you take a huge hack at something that could be a disaster? That doesn't seem like good storytelling or company business.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-27-2014 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

What have HHH and Stephanie done since Hell in the Cell that would make them even heels? Treated John Cena well. Acted against Randy Orton. Welcomed Batista back with open arms. Made matches that hurt the Shield. Unified titles, which was very popular with people...etc.

How are they heels? Who would care? At this point it's all meta and insider and we'd look at this as WWE, the company, deciding to put the title on our favorite. We'd be ecstatic, no matter what he did.

C'mon. He was 1/5th as over after his 18 second Wrestlemania match and we were still loving him, despite verbally abusing his girlfriend on air. There's nothing you can do to turn him.

All you are doing is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Take away all the things we love about Daniel Bryan so he can become a heel? You know how hard it is to build a pure face, let alone someone this freaking over with everyone, no matter the age? Then you take a huge hack at something that could be a disaster? That doesn't seem like good storytelling or company business.

I see your point. I do. I just think you are being too pessimistic. First, Bryan was a heel with the crowd UNTIL the WWE had him lose in 18 seconds. I think most the fans felt that Bryan as a performer deserved better. If he had gone and had a 25 minute slobberknocker and put Sheamus over clean, I don't think we'd be having this conversation right now.

Also, you forget how great Bryan was as a heel. He was getting great crowd reactions as a heel too.

To your point about the Authority. I agree. They have done a HORRIBLE job portraying them. Even I get confused about who or what they are. Yet, they still lean heel, and three months of torturing Bryan would get them over as heels. HHH and Steph are not hard to hate.

Lastly, yes, everyone would prefer if Bryan won the title by making Orton tap out at WrestleMania and finally shove it in the face of the WWE. I think we all suspect that that isn't what's going to happen. This was a way for Bryan to become champ in a logical (Vince logic) sort of way, not necessarily what I want or what I think will happen.

-- The Rick

wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009
Location Somewhere along I-74 in Illinois

Mood: Zombie

posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bryan has an amazing ability to work a crowd. Probably the best since The Rock. They have a legit, long-term star who could be the other top face with Cena (who really probably needs a short break, between surgeries and a divorce.

If they can't figure out how to get him into the main event at WM (either Streak, title, or against HHH), then they are more clueless than Johnny Ace.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wings76fan 's Yahoo
Sam Is Neat
Fella

Posts 452
Registered 2-21-2013

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-28-2014 at 12:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's funny, but as another poster said, if they simply gave Bryan a legit match at WM against Sheamus a few years back, this probably isn't even an issue. Fans would have accepted that he was given a fair shake with regards to time, and probably accepted the loss.

Instead, the performer was jilted so much that the fans just latched on, through a series of other unfortunate events, has risen to where it is today. It is quite fascinating, really.

And of the powers that be had just given him an actual match a few years back...

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-28-2014 at 12:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
I think based on rumor and last night that there's about a 100% chance that Cody vs. Goldust happens at Mania. I just don't want them to make Cody the heel in the split, since he never really got a chance to go solo as a face.

I'm not sure what you do with these two... Cody probably makes a bit more sense to go heel, but I really don't think that's his forte (Doctor Doom era aside), and as he's the Rhodes brother who will be staying around the longest you would want him to probably get the most out of this feud that you could... He's probably a long time away from the world title scene, but he could be a strong upper mid card solo guy, especially if they put more emphasis on either the IC or US unified title should they go that route.

In saying this, Goldust has looked pretty ageless since returning and could probably still quietly find work on one of the C shows for the next couple of years if you don't have much to do with him.

Depending on how real you want to get with this I think you could pull in the whole Dusty Rhodes being on the road thing, play up some brotherly jealously, and maybe go with Dusty as a guest ref... maybe shade them both as a bit shades of grey but never going full heel against one another... like they have outbursts, but if the other guy is getting jumped they still have one another's backs... Post WM match you could do the big family hug for the happy ending.

Unrelated to this... I was thinking about Batista versus Orton... probably not something you would want to do with your WM main event, but has the company ever gone heel versus heel... like both sides pulling out cheating and sneak attacks... depending on the right participants that could make for a fun one month feud.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1704
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-28-2014 at 12:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
Unrelated to this... I was thinking about Batista versus Orton... probably not something you would want to do with your WM main event, but has the company ever gone heel versus heel... like both sides pulling out cheating and sneak attacks... depending on the right participants that could make for a fun one month feud.

Yes, but never in a Wrestlemania title match. A couple of Royal Rumble title matches, I remember, were heel vs. heel -- Kurt Angle vs. Triple H in 2001 and Sheamus vs. Randy Orton in 2010, for example.

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 1-28-2014 at 02:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bryan taking a chair from HHH to beat down Orton and Batista isn't a Bryan heel turn. That's a HHH face turn.
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-28-2014 at 02:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Outside of the Chamber match, according to F4WOnline, the other matches set for the upcoming PPV are CM Punk vs. Kane, ADR vs. Batista, and The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family.

[Edited on 1-28-2014 by CCharger]

-- The Rick

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 1-28-2014 at 02:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
ADR vs. Del Rio

Can't wait to see him make himself tap out.

(I know you meant Batista, but it's worth pointing out for the smile.)

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-28-2014 at 03:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbie
quote:
ADR vs. Del Rio

Can't wait to see him make himself tap out.

(I know you meant Batista, but it's worth pointing out for the smile.)

Thanks. Edited.

-- The Rick

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top