The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Personal Favorite Comic Books
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2802
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-25-2014 at 03:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personal Favorite Comic Books

Iíve been wanting to write about comics for a while, but due to Marvel Unlimited being six months behind the Marvel thread we have doesnít quite work for me. Instead I decided that Iíd start me own thread with the goal being to share and possible discuss some of our personal favorite storylines/issues in comics.

Light Spoilers below:

First up for me is Civil War: Front Line. The main Civil War story was really cool in theory but lacked execution and ultimately amounted to nothing. However, Front Line was fantastic. For those who havenít read it, it follows multiple parallel storylines, the two biggest feature Ben Ulrich and Robbie Baldwin (Speedball). The Robbie Baldwin story is the one that really hooked me. He is the sole survivor of the attack in Stamford, CT that kicked off the Civil War and watching him deal with his survivorís guilt is extremely interesting. The story took twists and turns I didnít see coming.

I should say that my complements for Frontline are focused on the storytelling as opposed to the artwork which is fine, but nothing special.

Recommended further reading: Thunderbolts (starting with 110 I believe) and the Penance: Relentless mini-series continue Robbie Baldwinís story. Secret Invasion: Front Line and Siege: Embedded do similar adventures with Ben Ulrich during those crossover events. Neither are as good as Civil War, but they are all fun.

Thatís all for now, but Iíll be back soon with my next pick: Amazing Spiderman 617 and 625.

OO's only mammal penguin

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 1-25-2014 at 04:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Christ, too many to even think of. Here's a partial list of what I feel are the more memorable standouts to me personally:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run
Alan Moore's From Hell
Alan Moore's V For Vendetta
Alan Moore's Watchmen
Garth Ennis/Jacen Burrow's 303 (Avatar Press)
Garth Ennis/Jacen Burrow's Crossed (Avatar Press - opening limited series and first three issues of Badlands)
Si Spurrier's Crossed: Wish You Were Here webcomic
The Walking Dead (up to about issue 50 anyway)
Garth Ennis' Hellblazer run
Garth Ennis' Punisher stories
Garth Ennis/Glenn Fabry's Thor: Vikings
Alan Moore's one-off Superman stories
Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman's Miracleman
Batman/Joker: The Killing Joke
DeMatteis' and Zeck's Spider-Man: Fearful Symmetry (Kraven The Hunter death)
Frank Miller/David Mazuchelli's run on Daredevil (Nuke/Kingpin)
Jim Starlin's Death of Captain Marvel GN
Enemy Ace: War Idyll hardcover
Matt Wagner's Grendel (lots of various stories)
Morrison/Quitely's W.E.3
Millar/McNiven's Wolverine: Old Man Logan
A lot of Mike Baron's Nexus and Badger stories

May add more later as I think of them.

[Edited on 1/25/2014 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 1-25-2014 at 06:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anything Walking Dead is awesome. That's my favorite comic series of all time.

Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man Blue
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: Knightfall
Planet Hulk
Batman: The Long Halloween
Scott Pilgrim
Ultimate Spider-Man (haven't finished it yet, just got done volume 14 or 15
World War Hulk
The Dark Knight Returns

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7703
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2014 at 07:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If we're just talking series and not specific story arcs, I was a really big fan of The Savage Dragon in my late high school days (circa 98/99).

Preacher is also a favorite of mine and I've read through the entire series two or three times in my life, though I sadly seemed to have misplaced most of my graphic novels at some point when moving during the last year.

And for an underrated (and probably long forgotten about) series, I always really enjoyed Weapon Zero. It only lasted for about 13 issues, plus a four-issue mini-series, but I thought the artwork and stories were top-notch.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 1-25-2014 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All Star Superman
DC: The New Frontier
Grant Morrison's New X-Men run
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run
Bendis' Daredevil run
Green Lantern: Rebirth through to Blackest Night
IDW's Parker Adaptations, the first two books (The Hunter, The Outfit) in particular
The Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker, Fraction and Aja.
Jonah Hex by Gray, Palmiotti and various artists
Starman
Adam Warren's Empowered
Fables, at least up till the defeat of The Adversary
Dan Slott's She-Hulk

[Edited on 26-1-14 by Stu]

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8013
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2014 at 08:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Brubaker's Captain America run
Peter David's X-Factor run
Bendis on All New & Uncanny X-Men
Jennifer Blood
Mind the Gap
Stephanie Brown as Batgirl just prior to the New 52

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
X-Men: Schism was the storyline that made me pick comics up again after a 14 year hiatus. Everybody who ever wanted to see Wolverine and Cyclops finally just give up on the frenemies thing and beat the absolute horsepiss out of each other should be satisfied by that arc, and the aftermath changed the entire game for the X-Men status quo.

Since then, Bendis has really revitalized the X-books.

Matt Fraction's entire run on Hawkeye has just been an utter joy (Pizza Dog!). Chris Yost got a good 23 issues out of a 25 issue run on Scarlet Spider which was unfortunately cut off at the knees by Marvel's new A.D.D. approach to Marvel Now.

I've read through a few of the Batman collections and anytime Hush shows up, it tends to be awesome.

As a kid, I think Age of Apocalypse was absolutely the most cool, mind-bending thing I'd ever seen. They finally tapped the well dry by revisiting it entirely too many times, but the original arc in '94 was absolutely the greatest. Other X-stuff I got really into were the God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel and the storyline where Wolverine got his adamantium ripped out by Magento (Fatal Attractions, I think). I was big, big, big into the X-Men as a kid, the other superhero stuff was sort of just in my peripheral vision.

I did read all 80 issues of Marvel's TransFormers G1 comic as a kid and I could talk shop on that all day, if anybody else read it too.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh wow, how could I forget Batman: The Court of Owls. Holy shit, that was an incredible re-launch of the series
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since you have Marvel Unlimited (me too. it's the best), Here's a list of great runs available in their entirety on MU (or until present). Since you're familiar with MU I don't have to tell you sometimes things seem missing but are just out of order, but I assure you these are all there:

• Ultimate Spider-Man - Ultimate Spider-Man (2000), Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2009), Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011)
  • If you can figure out what you have to read when on your own, really the entirety of the Ultimate line is on there and it's pretty much all good. The Loeb years are iffy, but everything pre- and post-Loeb is very enjoyable.
  • Peter David's X-Factor - X-Factor (2005) (Yes, it goes from issue 50 to issue 200. Marvel is stupid, there is not 150 missing issues)
  • Grant Morrison's X-Men - New X-Men (2001)
  • Hickman's Fantastic Four - Fantastic Four (1998) Starting with issue #570, continues into FF (2010)
  • Secret Warriors (2008)
  • Hawkeye (2012)
  • Like, all the Daredevil from Bendis onward (Bendis' run, followed by Brubaker's, followed by Diggle, followed by Waid) - Daredevil (1998), start with issue 26 and take it all the way to the end, then move on to Daredevil (2011)

I'll post more if I think of it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BTW, Paddlefoot, how is it possible to list that many Ennis books and leave out Preacher?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Might I ask...What is Marvel Unlimited?

Nevermind, just googled it.

It's a shame, I only really dig HULK and Spider-Man from the Marvel side. I tried Moon Knight, but man, that comic is too hard/confusing sometimes. I really think his world is badass, and the villains are awesome, but I just can't get a grasp on what he is supposed to be. Anyone mind filling me in?

[Edited on 1-26-2014 by CamstunPWG187]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Operation Retard
BTW, Paddlefoot, how is it possible to list that many Ennis books and leave out Preacher?

I'm more disturbed that I forgot The Boys than I am about forgetting Preacher.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2014 at 05:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Moon Knight = Batman if he had split personality disorder and worshiped a moon god.
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2802
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíve read the entire Ultimate Spiderman series by Bendis. I love every moment of that series. Iíd like to put a special highlight on Ultimate Spiderman #28 . Most comic storylines now a days run over multiple issues, but this might be one of the best one issue stories this millennium. Ití like Bendis had just been watching old episodes of I Love Lucy or Fraiser. What classic sitcoms do in 22 minutes, he did in 22 pages. The basic story is that Ultimate Rhino is rampaging downtown and Peter needs to go face him. Unfortunately, he is in school so he has to find a way to sneak out. Hilarity ensues.

Bendis is probably my favorite writer. I just rented Powers from my local library so Iím looking forward to reading that. I enjoyed his work on New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, and especially Dark Avengers. Iíve only read the first couple issues of Bendisí recent X men run because of Unlimitedís lag time. Great so far, Iíll pick it up again in a bit when they have through Children of the Atom available. Somehow I didnít know he wrote Daredevil. My next thing to dive into is either going to be Daredevil or Runaways.

I initially conceived this thread with the idea to highlight specific storylines rather than entire series, so I will do just that: Amazing Spiderman 617 and 625. This takes place during the Gauntlet storyline leading to Grim Hunt and the return of Kraven the Hunter. These two particular issues focus on Rhino. The basic storyline is that Rhino has retired from a life of crime and is now married and working as a bouncer. A new person has taken on the mantle of Rhino and believes the only way he can truly be Rhino is by defeating the old Rhino. I found the two part storyline to be though provoking and a little heart breaking. I wish that had capitalized on this supremely interesting Rhino they had discovered and ran with it longer rather than shoving Gauntlet and Grim Hunt down our throats.

Since Rhino is apparently my theme for the day I might as well highlight another fun Rhino story: Spidermanís Tangled Web 5 and 6: Flowers for Rhino. For anyone is familiar with Flowers for Algemon, you know what to expect. For those who arenít, Rhino is sick of being treated like a dumb goon so he undergoes surgery that turns him into a genius. It is funny and just a little bit tragic and heartwarming.

One more Rhino thought. I'm a little terrified of Paul Giamanti just hamming it up and Amazing Spiderman 2's Rhino being overacted, lame, and annoying.

Iíll be back soon with my next selection: Avengerís Academy 15 and 16. (I write this to motivate myself to actually write more.

OO's only mammal penguin

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1671
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 01:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I stopped collecting a few years ago, but I'll play.

Starman
Just about anything from Warren Ellis - Planetary, Stormwatch, Hellstorm, to name three
Just about all of Peter David's Hulk run. Ditto his X-Factor work.
Spider-Man 2099
Fables
The Stern/Buscema run on Avengers
Geoff Johns on Flash
The first couple of years of The Initiative

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-27-2014 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ditto on the Stern/Buscema Avengers. That was a great underappreciated run on a title at that time which had kind of been forgotten in the growing X-Men mania. I always felt the same way about a lot of the John Byrne Fantastic Four stories as well. Walt Simonson's Thor too.

Adding Sandman into my list, at least the stories at the beginning of the title where it was more of a horror title and less of a fables/fairy tale one. The Corinthian was one of the more memorable genuinely spooky creations that I can recall.

(guilty pleasure admission: I had the entire run of ROM Spaceknight when I was in JH/HS and absolutely loved it)

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2802
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

posted on 1-27-2014 at 03:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
the storyline where Wolverine got his adamantium ripped out by Magento (Fatal Attractions, I think).

Somehow that was the only X Men comic I owned as a child. That visual was so awesome to me.

OO's only mammal penguin

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 10:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know if I have "favorite storylines." Or at least not many.

Like, I guess my favorite arc in Preacher is War In The Sun, but even still it's only great in context to the whole. I would never recommend someone read JUST War In The Sun. Or my favorite issue of Sandman is #13 (introduction of Hob), and while that issue is completely understandable on its own without reading the previous 12, I still would never suggest someone not start from the beginning.

Of course in your long running superhero titles it's a little different. But then I still have favorite runs more than favorite arcs. My favorite FF run is the Mark Waid/Mike Weiringo run (I woulda put it on my list earlier but I don't know if it's on MU in its entirety), but I could name a favorite arc. I just generally most enjoyed FF at that time.

Though I will say Carnage's original 3 issue intro arc in Amazing Spider-Man is still a favorite of mine.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9484
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2014 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This isn't so much personal favorite storylines/books but I just know that the early-to-mid 90's were the apex of my comic book geekdom and I still have such fond memories of the time. Image had just started as the "renegade" company to go against Marvel and DC and me and my brother were addicted to anything Image - Shadowhawk, Spawn, Youngblood, WildC.A.T.'s, et. al. The books (and artists) obviously varied widely in quality but it was a really fun time. Loved Wizard magazine too.

I still have a Witchblade #1 signed by Michael Turner that I was very dismayed to learn isn't worth barely shit when I had a guy appraise it at a local comic shop a few months ago.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 1-29-2014 at 12:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I forgot to include some Judge Dredd in my post, so I'll cover that here. Yeah, while there's the classic epics like The Cursed Earth Saga and The Apocalypse War(which has the most far reaching consequences, having 30 years later brought about the recent Day of Chaos storyline), the biggest statement about what the intention was for the creators is the storyline "America", which Dredd isn't the actual protagonist of. It's instead follows the life of a Mega City One citizen named America, who spends her whole life pushing against the system, in one way or another, and it's the most direct story in portraying Dredd and the Judges as the bad guys, which was always supposed to be there as subtext but got a bit lost along the way.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12752
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-29-2014 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I loved most of J Michael Straczynski's run of Amazing Spider-Man. He did a great job of handling the seperation and return of MJ, Aunt May discovering Peter is Spider-Man (the "talk" issue is one of my personal favorites of all time), and even made Peter being a teacher a really neat and well executed idea. It did have silly moments like Gwen Stacy's kids and the totem, but all in all, I highly enjoyed that run. And of course, John Romita Jr. handling the art never hurts. Enjoying that run made One More Day a very bitter pill I refused to swallow. In fact, I stopped reading Spidey altogether until Superior came out, which I'm enjoying immensly.

And speaking of Spider-Man, someone earlier mentioned Flowers For Rhino. That's a great short.

My favorite book of all time is Sandman. It was the first non-hero book I read, and it still resonates with me today. Gaiman took the reader to so many places but mythological and historical and had such fascinating ideas that somehow all wove together in one cohesive tapestry. I've probably re-read the entire series over two dozen times, but I'd say my favorite arc is easily Seasons of Mist with my favorite singule issue stories being Ramadan, The Song of Orpheus, and Three Septembers and a January. I second Paddlefoot with The Corinthian being one of the spookiest characters out there. If you haven't figured it out yet, he's the inspiration for my avatar.

I was just at a used book store and recommended Give Me Liberty to a friend of mine. It's easily my favorite Frank Milller book. The themes are even more relevant now then it was when it came out, and I really think someone could make a good movie about this.

Someone mentioned Fables and I agree it's superb up to the end of the Adversary story. I liked the Mr. Dark story arc too, but it wasn't nearly as strong, and was marred by The Great Fables Crossover. It's been really slow since the Dark story ended, unfortunately, and while it's still good, it's not nearly as captivating as it was with the Adversary's story.

I'm going to completely agree with Ziggy's mentions of these:
Peter David's X-Factor (2005) and all the way back to the Madrox mini-series. I also liked his X-Factor run from the 90s a lot too. I love how the 2005 run brings back some of the ideas from his 90s run, and I think at some point, all of his 90s X-Factor team makes his way in to his Madrox-led team. He did such an awesome job developing Madrox - previously a tertiary character at best - into a very complex and interesting character.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men (2001) I had stopped reading X-Men a little bit after Age of Apocalypse. Morrison's X-Men was a very refreshing take on the X-Men. For more Grant Morrison and Frank Quietly fun, I highly suggest you read We3 It's a fantastic piece of literature, with some fantastic art by Quietly.

Hawkeye (2012) by Matt Fraction - The first book that ever made me care about Clint. This is awesome.

Daredevil - I was on a comic book hiatus in the mid-late 90s. Right after Age of Apocalypse and Sandman ended (1996), I stopped buying and reading comics altogether. Kevin Smith's Daredevil #1 (1998) was the first comic I picked up in two years and I just loved it. This was actually the first Daredevil story I ever read (I didn't read Frank Miller's legendary run until after Bendis started writing). From Smith to Bendis to Brubaker, to Waid, Daredevil has been incredible.

Two things came out of Daredevil - I became a big Bendis fan, and have enjoyed his work from Ultimate Spider-Man to Powers (which was one of my favorites for a time), Alias which is easily one of my favorites.

I also became a Brubaker fan thanks to DD, and his Captain America run has been awesome. I really liked his Immortal Iron Fist with Fraction and his Criminal series as well.

Garth Ennis' The Punisher from the hilarious Marvel Knights run all through his very gritty and violent MAX run was awesome.

I've never been a big DC guy, but I loved Geoff Johns' runs on The Flash and Green Lantern (I just finished Blackest Night - EPIC).

And lastly, I love Robert Kirkman's Invincible and The Walking Dead. I'm looking forward to reading the All Out War series. I've was worried that the storyline with Negan was going to be a half-as-good rehash of the Governor story, but it's been pretty damn good. He's really developed Carl from an annoying brat into a great character.

Ok, I'm done. For now. I'll think of more, I'm sure.

[Edited on 1-29-2014 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top