The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Less The Rick, and the Reason Why
kamin68
ButtViper

Posts 7
Registered 9-20-2006

Mood:

posted on 2-20-2014 at 10:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good luck to you on surgery day. I'm sending you positive vibes and looking forward to reading your next recap soon !!
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -159
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 2-22-2014 at 11:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Im going to assumes half whipple since you started the smackdown thread?
OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3757
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: The Time is Right

posted on 2-23-2014 at 02:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Surgery's not till Monday, so this is not the time for assumptions, coxito. But I'm certainly still hoping (and have been led to believe it is very possible) that we only have to do the partial Whipple. That determination will be made on the fly.

Since we're pretty much rolling right up on the big day, and since this will probably be my last chance to post anything until Wednesday or Thursday, I thought I'd pass along a bit more info to help the curious among you understand exactly what's going on.

For starters, here are two pretty solid write-ups (way better than what wikipedia has, anyway) about the procedure:
http://www.uchospitals.edu/specialties/cancer/pancreatic/surgical/whipple.html and
http://www.surgery.usc.edu/divisions/tumor/pancreasdiseases/web%20pages/pancreas%20resection/whipple%20operation.html

Keep in mind that I have a very excellent doctor, so all that talk of 25% of Whipples ending in death as recently as the early 80s is NOT a concern; the procedure has gotten lots safer, and my surgeon does several of these per year. And also, remember they've almost entirely ruled out adenocarcinoma, so the 40% 5-year survival rate also doesn't apply. They expect the tumor to be -- as one of the articles above calls it -- a "low grade" cancer (with a chance that it's entirely benign, even), in which case the procedure is curative.

But all the other stuff? Does apply.

The 6-8 hours on the table, the extreme pain from all the cutting and re-sewing, the slow recovery of the digestive tract (including a week or more of complete stomach paralysis), the chances for complications that slow recovery, and the fact that 2 or 3 months is a common timeframe for a person to get back to an every day routine after the surgery. It's a fairly major ordeal, and the closer I get to it, the more intimidating it is. [Weeks ago, when it first came up, I was just overjoyed that there was a surgical procedure that might fix me, without chemo and without the chance for relapse and death. Now, the reality of spending a week with a tube up my cock because I won't even be able to muster the ability to pee in a jug is setting in.]

When the surgery is complete, I've been told that it'll be a day or two in the Surgical ICU, where I'll basically be loaded up on serious drugs the whole time. That's why I'm not promising to pop in here with an update on Monday night or Tuesday... I have no idea how coherent I'll be, or when I'll finally have the ability to focus on something as complicated as typing (especially since I'll only have my tablet, and typing on a mobile device is something I hate even when I have my full wits about me).

So anyway, point is, don't anybody go getting too worried when you don't get an immediate post-surgery update. I know I'll suffer the humiliation of talking to friends and family who have my phone number, while I'm gooned on morphine, just to let them know I've survived. But I'll hold out making any public displays until I'm sure I'm functioning at upwards of half capacity.

At that point, hopefully I'll also be able to pass along good news about exactly what the tumor was, and have a more concrete update about my recovery plans and when I expect to be able to go home, since that's when I'll be able to resume at least a few webmastering duties...

Thanks to everybody who've shared their support and good wishes. It's been a long process, and it's been heartening to know folks care. But now, we're approaching End Game, with a strong chance of a full recovery. It's gonna be a huge, agonizing ordeal getting myself right after this surgery, but I'm just happy if everything really is as "low grade" as the doctors are hoping. In fact, I'll count myself lucky.

Mostly because this isn't going to be the thing that kills me, afterall. But partly because they're promising all kinds of awesome painkillers.

See you on the other side, everybody.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -159
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 2-23-2014 at 04:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the update! I thought surgery was this past Wednesday but thats my jackass fault for reading another post but not checking the originals. Ill be thinking about you man. Im glad you have the positive outlook about it, it makes a big difference. Ive had a couple family members go through a similar situation so I know how it can be. You will be fine, the break from real life will be fun on the heavy narcotics (I highly recommend Donnie Dario if you haven't seen it before). regardless of what happens I will say that wrestling wouldnt mean the same without you and the OOcommunity that you have created. No matter what happens thank you for everything you have done to procure my love of wrestling and what you have done for creating the most intelligent wrestling community on the net.

Edited for being blasted

[Edited on 2-23-2014 by coxito]

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4345
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: Cabbage Head

posted on 2-24-2014 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Rick! And if you need to do a little R & R on the other side of this we can head out into the desert in my Winnebago. I'm sure we can cook something up, yo.
drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 2-24-2014 at 11:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All the best to you Rick. Here's hoping you make a speedy and full recovery.
DXB
Fella

Posts 264
Registered 8-22-2006

Mood: Hating GRAPE!

posted on 2-24-2014 at 11:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey Rick-

just read the whole thread and just wanted to wish a fully and speedy recovery to ya. Hope you feel better soon!

Originally posted by Lucky:

Week 2048
Son: I don't think I like strawberry. Could we try something else.
Mom: Well, I've got a surprise for you.
Son: Grape? Oh man.
Mom: I thought you wanted something different?
Son: Yeah, but not the same thing I was sick of 2 years ago that made me want change in the first place. Yuckky, Grape!

PyroFalkon
Fella

Posts 453
Registered 11-17-2004
Location Xenia, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2014 at 02:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rick just sent me an e-mail stating that the surgery has come and gone, and he's doing okay, all things considered, other than a lot of pain.

I'll let him give any further information, but I figured he wouldn't mind me sharing that much with you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   PyroFalkon 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   PyroFalkon 's Yahoo
OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3757
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 2-26-2014 at 02:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm in far too much agonizing pain to post full details, but the highlights: I still have my stomach and I have been declared "cancer free."

Even with some good drugs, man do I hurt. But, man, I'll take it. Recovery timetable to follow...

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dxlevy72
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 58
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2014 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's hoping you become pain-free and remain very well, well enough to enjoy:

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8060
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section
Member Is Online

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 2-27-2014 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick..... I still have my stomach and I have been declared "cancer free."

Even with some good drugs, man do I hurt. But, man, I'll take it. Recovery timetable to follow...

Rick

YES!!!!

Just kidding (mostly). Happy at the good news for you and your family. Whatever you do, LISTEN to the docs and DO NOT do any physical activity for as long as they tell you to. My sister, the nutcase, had a surgery and was pulling crap like painting the inside of the house a week later. Now she's practically crippled herself with agony from the scar tissue that developed as a result of her refusing to rest. Once again, LISTEN to the docs.

And get yer sorry arse back here as soon as you can, brother!

Oh my god, they've shot Cabbagehead!

thestoryofmikeb
Fella

Posts 411
Registered 11-28-2007
Location Albany, NY

Mood: hopeful

posted on 2-27-2014 at 04:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
I'm in far too much agonizing pain to post full details, but the highlights: I still have my stomach and I have been declared "cancer free."

Rick

Glad to hear you are clear from the cancer worry. Hang in there!

"Is it too much to ask that the wrestling on my screen is fast paced, entertaining, interesting, and at least a little bit LOGICAL???"

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   thestoryofmikeb 's Yahoo
Riko
rOOkie

Posts 47
Registered 8-24-2011
Location 20 Miles east of Truth or Consequences

Mood: Rainy

posted on 2-27-2014 at 10:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it went well. Take you're time to heal, rushing isn't going to help. Hope the pain goes away soon too.
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 2-27-2014 at 12:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is great Rick, take it easy and relax I already called Make-a-Wish and John Cena will be on his way to visit you.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11939
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 2-27-2014 at 05:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh look, here's an angel that's come down from the heavens to greet you.

[Edited on 3-4-2014 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 2-27-2014 at 06:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
That is great Rick, take it easy and relax I already called Make-a-Wish and Molly Holly will be on her way to visit you.

Fixed that for you.

Glad to hear the good news, Rick. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 708
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 2-28-2014 at 09:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
That is great Rick, take it easy and relax I already called Make-a-Wish and Randy Orton will be on his way to visit you.

Fixed it for you. Though that may not be wise for your recovery.

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2721
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 3-1-2014 at 05:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear this, Rick! Lots of people were pulling for you.
Yukon Moose
ButtViper

Posts 2
Registered 2-24-2014

Mood:

posted on 3-1-2014 at 06:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fantastic news! Godspeed, brother. Now remember to train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins!
Oceanic815
rOOkie

Posts 32
Registered 6-17-2013

Mood:

posted on 3-3-2014 at 11:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear Rick...Ive been mostly a lurker since the Micasa/original OO days (can that be almost 20 years?)... Best Wishes and Speedy Recovery...and Fuck Cancer....Glad u seem to be cancer free

How about if Molly Holly comes with Randy for the Make-A-Wish ?

[Edited on 3-3-2014 by Oceanic815]

Yukon Moose
ButtViper

Posts 2
Registered 2-24-2014

Mood:

posted on 3-4-2014 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Better yet, they can just leave the Mantard behind and send Mickie James along with Molly!
Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 3-6-2014 at 10:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it went smoothly man. Wrestling wouldn't be the same for me without you and your site.
Teletheus
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 83
Registered 8-9-2005

Mood:

posted on 3-6-2014 at 07:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it went well (or, rather, as well as such things can go).

I don't post a lot, but you and OO have done more to keep me connected to wrestling than the WWE itself has. You've built something really special here, and I'm very grateful to be a small part (albeit a quiet one) of this community.

Get well soon, man.

[Edited on 3/6/2014 by Teletheus]

"The majority is never right. Never, I tell you! That's one of these lies in society that no free and intelligent man can help rebelling against. Who are the people that make up the biggest proportion of the population -- the intelligent ones or the fools? I think we can agree it's the fools, no matter where you go in this world, it's the fools that form the overwhelming majority."

OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3757
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 3-7-2014 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm now back home. A supply of oxycodone is helping to keep the pain levels down to a dull roar (after they were off-the-charts excruciating for all of last week), and I've even managed to eat (via mouth) some soup and yogurt, so we've got proof that my entirely re-wired guts are working.

And after even more tests: the official stamp of "Cancer Free" remains. That's the important thing.

The recovery from the physical/surgical aspect should clear up faster; the pain from the sewn-together guts and stapled-shut stomach should subside at an increasing rate, and be all-but-cleared up within 2 weeks. [Note: I wound up getting exactly 42 staples, which I consider to be a good omen, for reasons only the cool among you will understand.] The recovery with regards to my digestive tract will be a slightly longer process, as I have to ramp up both the amount and types of food I can handle via mouth (as I'm currently getting 80% of my nutrition through a tube). My surgeon said she'll consider removing the tube in about 4 weeks if all goes well, so that's the target for resuming a semi-normal diet.

Then, it's just a matter of getting back up to full strength... the combination of being bed-ridden and not having solid food for what will end up being 3 months will take its toll. Yay for effortless weightloss! Boo for muscular-skeletal atrophy!

So anyway, it seems like we're heading down the homestretch, here. I wish I'd never picked up this goddamned book, but I'm glad it's got a happy ending. Thanks again to all of you who offered up best wishes and support over the course of these, the most trying 2 months of my life.

Rick

Planet Starbucks
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 89
Registered 1-28-2013
Location England

Mood: Medicated

posted on 3-7-2014 at 07:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I knew it! The Rick is in fact the single most important person in the universe and his stomach holds the answer to life, the universe and everything!
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top