The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Justified Season 5
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Justified Season 5

I know the big season premiere was last night but I'm assuming everybody who was interested already watched. Any thoughts? To me it was one of the shakier episodes of the entire run of the series, but they've certainly set up a lot of dangling threads to come back to. And hey, always nice to have Alicia Witt around.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If there's gonna be as much Dewey as it looks like we're gonna have, I'm all in.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-12-2014 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Judging from previous setups for past seasons, I'd think it's probably not too big of a jump to say the Crowe clan is going to wind up crossing Boyd by mid-season. Also, since Johnny is probably still out there/alive, I'd suspect he plays into it as well.

The one thing that mildly irritated me was reading IGN's review of the episode and seeing them bitch about how the Tonin's got written out "suddenly" and "inexplicably". And since their line of thinking seems to usually be in tune with the majority, I just don't get that thinking. To me, it makes perfect sense that the Tonin's are done. Back in Season 3, Quarles went down to Frankfurt not just to collect owed money, but also because the drug market in Detroit had dried up. His entire plan was getting a train of Oxy to Detroit through Harlan via Florida. Obviously that plan failed, and the fact that Theo spent most of last season sending his guys to hunt for Drew Thompson probably indicates that they weren't fixing that problem. So when Sammy took over, it had to be a given that nothing good was going to come from partnering with Detroit. Him dying was going to happen, simply because he wasn't a good leader. Though Picker surviving it all and signing on with Duffy and Boyd is unexpected.

Also, just a hunch, but I get the feeling "The Haitian" is going to wind up being a bigger deal this season. Guys standing silently behind a villain while giving him a huge piece of advice usually translates into them being the guy behind the big plot.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2014 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After that rocky premiere, this season is just chugging along full steam. There really isn't even much of a body count yet, just a LOT of dangling threads being set up are that I think are going to weave together into one beautiful web.

- Allison is bad, bad news. Which is par for the course given that Raylan has a serious boner for dangerous women.

- Dewey is totally going to end up as this season's accidental hero, a la Constable Bob in season 4.

- For the longest time, I really, REALLY wanted to see Wynn Duffy end up dead. Now? I'm kind of loving the guy. Hopefully he survives to see next season.

- I know that Darryl Crowe/the Haitian are on paper the "big bad" for this season, but I can't shake the feeling that the real big bad is the Russian chick.

- The bit with Art forcing Rachel into the house was great, and Rachel's "call me if you're going to be late for supper" was probably the line of the show. With the recent sad news that season 6 will be the final season of this amazing show, I can't be alone in badly wanting a Rachel-centric spinoff, right?

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 1-30-2014 at 12:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Booooooo on them killing Wade after teasing that he was going to survive like that. Boo I say. Does being the first Raylan Givens count for nothing?
Loving the season so far, and Art's investigation into Sammy and Raylan's dealings is good fodder for either the latter half of this season or the final season.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005

posted on 2-5-2014 at 11:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow, Alan Tudyk can play psycho killers like a motherfucker.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-6-2014 at 11:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Best episode of the season so far, by a huge margin.

Like nOOb, I thought for sure the Haitian was gonna end up being the real menace from the Crowe family, but Jesus.

They really tied a lot of loose ends together quickly, and I think the pace is just going to ramp up from here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 2-9-2014 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Wow, Alan Tudyk can play psycho killers like a motherfucker.

I think the telling part of Justified is that Tudyk shot and killed Will f'n Sasso of all people and that act made him a stone cold killer and not a guy getting revenge for the Three Stooges. And that Will Sasso somehow was able to be convincing as a mob guy.

Sad to see it ends next year but, so long as they don't try to win Screech a Golden Globe next season or some crazy casting choice, it will be a fun ride.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 2-15-2014 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In the spirit of the Durt Sheetz, but with an actual source, apparently the original plan for the Haitian (Jean Baptiste) was for him to make it to the end of the season, but those plans got thrown out the window because the actor playing him didn't see a payoff:

quote:

Letís talk about Dannyís scene with Kendal and Jean-Baptiste (Edi Gathegi). I did not see Jean-Baptisteís death coming.

Nor did we. (Laughs) So the Danny-Kendal scene, we wanted to establish this thing that Dannyís got, the idea of the 21 foot rule. You can look it up online. The idea is supposedly that within 21 feet, a guy with a knife can beat a guy with a gun, if the gun is holstered. If the knifer takes the initiative and starts running as heís pulling the knife, while the other guyís trying to pull his gun, the knifer can win. That came up early in the writers room this past summer and was one of the things that we decided to give to Danny from the beginning of the season. Then we wanted to see him torment Kendal with it.

And the idea for Danny to shoot Jean-Baptiste?

Listen, we make our best efforts early on in the season as we hire actors to come on the show, and we canít always guarantee them what theyíre gonna be doing or where itís gonna go. Getting Edi Gathegi was a big get for us, but the character just wasnít panning out for him. He didnít see where it was going, and even though we were thinking that Jean-Baptiste would survive until toward the end of the season, Edi wasnít enjoying the journey. We had no contract to hold him to, so we said, ďWell, letís kill off Jean-Baptiste in episode 5.Ē We werenít sure how we were gonna do it, and then we watched the scene between Jean-Baptiste and Danny, and it became clear that there was such animosity there, that man it could work. So the scene got adjusted to play it this way. What we then found from that, which youíll see in subsequent episodes, is that it gave us a lot: It established Dannyís close to psycho pathology and his really bad judgment. And it also was something that happened in front of Kendal. Kendalís known that heís living in a crime family, but I donít know what truly bad stuff heís seen. Youíll see in subsequent episodes the effect that this has on him and really how that propels us to toward the end of the season.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005

posted on 3-5-2014 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Alright, you're both under arrest. You because you're a fugitive, and you because you're a dick."

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 4-18-2014 at 02:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not the best season of justified. It did a good job of making me look forward to the final season. But the season as a whole just wasn't as good. Michael Rappaport getting shot in the throat was fitting though.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 4-28-2014 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cardscott5
Not the best season of justified. It did a good job of making me look forward to the final season. But the season as a whole just wasn't as good. Michael Rappaport getting shot in the throat was fitting though.

Yeah, I have to agree. I can't pick out a favorite season, but I can sure pick out a weakest.

But with that said, Justified at it's worst is better than 75% of anything else on TV at its best. This season was just a letdown, especially with all of the potential it felt like it had coming in. And the Ava storyline just felt really tacked-on and forced. Nothing about it ever really clicked for me at all.

I'm excited for the final season, though. Duffy and Boyd vs. Raylan is all it needs to be. We don't need another "big bad".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top