The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are You Ready for the Biggest Announcement in the History of Announcements?!
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-6-2014 at 07:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Are You Ready for the Biggest Announcement in the History of Announcements?!

Well, then you'll have to wait until Wednesday night!

quote:

WWE Universe, come to WWE.com this Wednesday (Jan. 8) at 9:30 p.m. ET for a groundbreaking announcement.

Join WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon along with WWE COO Triple H, 11-time WWE Champion John Cena, and WWE Hall of Famers "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels for the announcement, which will be streamed LIVE from Las Vegas.

Watch LIVE this Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. ET on WWE.com, the WWE App, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo!, Google+, Pinterest and Pheed. Mark your calendar and get ready for the biggest revolution in sports-entertainment history.

Stay with WWE.com for more regarding this blockbuster announcement that will change WWE forever.

WWE Network? New show?? AJ Styles is finally coming to WWE with Colt Cabana, the Young Bucks, and the Briscoes?! Whatever the case, it's sure to be a huge letdown!

[Edited on 1-6-2014 by nOOb]

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2014 at 07:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I bet it will be the most "socially active" moment in WWE history!

What's the over/under on how many times they'll beat this into the ground tonight? 20? 30? 50?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-6-2014 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is kinda old news relatively speaking.

Most people are speculating that it is an announcement about the WWE network, in which case, yes, it will be underwhelming.

It could of course be the announcement of a tournament to crown the new WWE Divas Mudwrestling Champion.

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 1-6-2014 at 08:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb

WWE Network? New show?? AJ Styles is finally coming to WWE with Colt Cabana, the Young Bucks, and the Briscoes?! Whatever the case, it's sure to be a huge letdown!

[Edited on 1-6-2014 by nOOb]

Vince finally completed his buyout of the NFL after Roger Goodel went totally off the edge.

Get ready for the NXL, people!

mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1154
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-7-2014 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For the record, WWEClassics on Demand menu very clearly says the channel is ending at the end of January.

Join the amazing world of Mash-Up Wrestling!

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oceanic815
rOOkie

Posts 32
Registered 6-17-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2014 at 01:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They are in Las Vegas during CES (Consumer Electronics Show), I would concur with the WWE Network announcement
Dominator
Dominated by my love for Randy Orton

Posts 1686
Registered 7-5-2007
Location Florida

Mood: RKOFree Since 4/9/13

posted on 1-7-2014 at 01:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
It could of course be the announcement of a tournament to crown the new WWE Divas Mudwrestling Champion.

Since it is not, then it will be underwhelming. Of course, we know they'd screw that up, too, probably forcibly book the whole tournament to be Total Divas cast member vs. Non-Total Divas cast member so that by the end nobody's character advances and it all winds up being meaningless because the Divas Champion refuses to participate because she is way too cool for it.

I do NOT love RKO, you sarcastic bastards.
"There are no politics in WWE." - Stephanie McMahon
"BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!!!" - Me

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-7-2014 at 01:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dominator
quote:

Since it is not, then it will be underwhelming. Of course, we know they'd screw that up, too, probably forcibly book the whole tournament to be Total Divas cast member vs. Non-Total Divas cast member so that by the end nobody's character advances and it all winds up being meaningless because the Divas Champion refuses to participate because she is way too cool for it.

Right. Because the most important part of a Divas Mudwrestling tournament would be *character advancement*

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1674
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2014 at 02:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
WWE Universe, come to WWE.com this Wednesday (Jan. 8) at 9:30 p.m. ET for a groundbreaking announcement.

/words

Stay with WWE.com for more regarding this blockbuster announcement that will change WWE forever.

I think it's great that this world-changing, revolutionary announcement that will set the course for the future of the WWE for years to come features exactly one full-time sports-entertainer.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4171
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 1-7-2014 at 03:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To be fair, isn't that the best use for guys in legend's contracts? Use them as ambassadors for PR and save the fulltime guys from flying to yet another town. Cena's there because he's Cena.The face of the WWE.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched the clip they have up on WWE.com and the interview between Cole and HHH, and he talked a lot about Vince pioneering syndicated television, closed circuit shows, and PPV's, and how there wasn't a better forum for this than the CSE show... so odds are that this has something to do with WWE network, although considering that they've already advertised this it feels kinda underwhelming giving how monumental they are making it sound... HHH even said he's not gonna pull a Michael Bay and get up there with nothing to show/say...

So yeah; Tune in at 9.30 EST to find out... it's Tout 2.0

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They also have a playlist of "WWE's Greatest Announcements Ever", which ranges from Tyson being on Raw to the Wrestlemania record attendance to Ultimate Warrior/Hulk Hogan and some stinkers like Vince/Trump and Vince's Million Dollar Giveaway.

I'll give them this: even if they're not doing it knowingly, they're giving this thing a wide range for potential actual importance.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2014 at 11:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bleacher Report is...um...reporting that it's going to be an online channel (Netflix-type), that will give you every PPV outside of Wrestlemania, all Raws/Smackdowns/PPVs/etc from history on demand, and a 24/7 channel that streams for $10 a month.

I'm thinking that price is a bit low, especially with the amount of PPVs on it and the amount of things you will get with it, including Wrestlemania if you purchase the first 6 months.

The one good thing about the streaming is that they're saying it's backed by MLB Advanced Media, which does a lot of steaming for big companies and I've heard several times in other areas (though also from Court Bauer) that it's the best for this type of system. So it should be able to handle the new amount of traffic during PPVs it will need to.

Only issue now is the lack of a TV option - though maybe it's time for a Chromecast.

Here's the link if anyone is interested. Who knows how exact any of this is:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1914161-wwe-network-latest-buzz-surrounding-tonights-rumored-announcement

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 751
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JR's new blog pretty much summed it all up, without some specifics...

quote:
"Big day for WWE fans and those that earn a living within WWE. The long awaited announcement regarding the new, WWE Network is set for later today in Las Vegas. This will be a critical day in WWE history, one way or another. More to come after thisc.

Millions of dollars and thousands of man hours have been invested in the WWE Network to be able to get to this point and to announce the long awaited specifics of what many feel could be a game changer for WWE.

Since the days when I was with the company, going back in the 90s, we were actively pursuing buying old, wrestling tape libraries. So the goal of having a WWE channel or network has long been discussed.

Even though I am no longer employed by WWE nor do I foresee ever becoming a WWE employee again, I am certainly pulling for their success with the Network concept.

The Network will re-introduce some of the great old school memories that many of us long time fans have plus educate an entire demographic of young fans as to the vanishing art form of in ring story telling and extemporaneous speaking.

One major key to the success of this Network is the development of NEW programming as it cannot be only about the old, tape libraries. I can see live, interactive programming being produced on a daily basis which, if true, then it provides several talents with opportunities to contribute to the brand and the network.

It also provides an opportunity for some talents to essentially reinvent themselves if they can bring something to the table.

Pre and post game shows on the network of live, WWE televised events are seemingly a lay up and hopefully they will be produced in a more compelling manner than what we see connected to WWE PPVfs.

Talk shows, call in shows, uniquely themed programs, etc will likely all be a part of the new, WWE Network. I am not espousing these ideas from insider knowledge but merely from someone who has been involved and thinking about this project for well over a decade.

The other key to the networkfs success is the airing of ALL the PPVfs live. Right now, WrestleMania is the most, gmust seeh PPV in WWE and some might argue it is the only gmust seef PPV in WWE. That point is arguable and is dependent upon the attraction.

Being able to see WWE PPVfs, original programming thatfs exclusive to the network, and the organized and systematic airing of the episodically produced, wrestling territory shows are among the elements that it will necessitate to make the WWE Network a hit.

I will be ordering it without question and feel that the network, with all the new elements and systematic airing of the older taper libraries, will rival todayfs creative that we see on current first run programming from all TV wrestling producers.

Hopefully, the gwritersh or gcreative teamh people will invest ample time in studying the past in order to better navigate the future because the present, in my opinion, isnft anything to write home about.

Except for Sinclair Broadcasting which owns ROH Wrestling, this is a giant year within the biz for the negotiation of TV rights fees for both WWE and TNA. Ironically, both obviously HAVE to have basic cable to survive but both entities seem to be dealing within different degrees of epower.f

I see WWE getting a major bump in their rights fees from a cable network but I donft hold the same optimism for TNA. Trust me, I hope that both companies score big time but its all about leverage in these types of negotiations (as in what have you done for me lately?) plus the ability to go LIVE on a weekly basis that most networks find very desirous."

JrsBarBq.com

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 751
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh...and rumors of Hogan being there are flying. But with JR's comment of "
It also provides an opportunity for some talents to essentially reinvent themselves if they can bring something to the table." maybe that's what Hogan will be doing as an extra, working as an on-air talent for the new Network. May be the best place for him.

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-9-2014 at 01:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dominator is still holding out hope that it is about the WWE Divas Mudwrestling tournament.

And he is really interested in how Creative will use it as a vehicle for character development.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
And he is really interested in how Creative will use it as a vehicle for character development.

I think with so many hours a week to fill with new content they are bound to throw a few guys out there to see what sticks... Say Ziggler (or anyone) get's a weekly show of some kind... that's 30 minutes or more of talk time that he wouldn't have received during a 3 hour raw... if he does something people can latch onto more, than he could ride it into something on Raw that might get him further over. The key would be to let guy's do their own thing, and not overscript it... You won't have to worry about 1/4 hour ratings like you used to on other networks as this will more than likely be subscription based, and if a show just isn't catching on you can replace it or repackage it none the worse for wear.

I have a feeling what we'll more likely get is stuff like Big Show's "A Giant's world" where we get the reverse of that A&E dwarf show, John Cena Drives fancy cars, more Tough Enough crap, and Total Diva's, now four times a week!

Just off of tape library they can do some cool stuff with this, and I'm sure some of the interviews/documentaries they can put together for this could fill time, but I also think you could do some really cool late night talk show stuff where Raw becomes the weekly platform for these guys to fight one another, and the rest of the network can lead to some feuds and stories (which could be recapped in a daily news show).

I know JR and Vince aren't the best of friends, and that JR not being an employee of the WWE likely doesn't give a shit, but I wonder how much heat this will get JR for likely jumping the gun on the WWE's big announcement (assuming this is it... I'm still holding out for Tout 2.0)

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I got home at 8:27, so I figured I had to tap into the Live Stream. Then I saw the audience full of large, fat, white nerds and knew for a fact it was some sort of WWE streaming thing like Skids said it probably would be. That they immediately started harping into the Social Media and Youtube stuff...yep, that's what it is. They don't even need to officially announce it...that's what it is.
Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some bullet points from the announcement via PWInsider:

quote:

The Network will be priced at $9.99 a month and will include:

All 12 PPVs including Wrestlemania at no additional charge.

*Pre-and Post shows for Raw and Smackdown.

*Live daily studio show.

*NXT and Smackdown.

*VOD of every WWE, WCW and ECW PPV.

*"Past years" of Raw and Smackdown and more.

*Vintage content will be branded legacy content with additional material added every month.

10 bucks a month for all PPVs including Mania AND *every* WWE/WCW/ECW PPV on demand and all other crap?

Yep, think I'll be getting this.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say this is something of a dream for wrestling geeks like us. Are they still going forward with silly "original programming" like Legends House or Divas Bus or whatever that stupidity was or is this just what the purists want?

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2810
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Legends House is still coming. Overall the app is going to be pretty amazing. Glad it's going to be on xbox from day one too.

OO's only mammal penguin

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10974
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517......silly "original programming" like ......... Divas Bus or whatever that stupidity was.......

They're too late. The guys at Bang Bus already cornered that particular idea. And they feature better acting on it too.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is amazing for us, but as horrible as it sounds to say, they seem to be leaving a ton of money on the table only charging 10 bucks a month. I would have gone as high as 20-25.

Hopefully this leads to the end of illegal online streaming because there's almost no excuse not to get this for $10 with all it has with it.

I think the one annoying part is the lack of a DVR for content that you can miss, but with the size of the VOD library, it's hard to complain because you have to figure you'll get to it again eventually.

This feels like a total win for fans. Easiest $120 I'll drop on the table this year.

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by S Kid J E T S 48]

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe its a case of volume over unit pricing... at $10 they are probably going to get a lot of people with this.... goog god, did the wwe actually just exceed our expectations?
Fandom
Fella

Posts 298
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Sick. Very sick

posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Count me in as far as shocked as hell over a $10 per month pricing.

If we are really talking about *all* ppv's live streaming for $10/mo plus other content then you have just sold a subscription to a lapsed WWE fan.

And while I'm at it, I'll be shocked that if in the coming days there isn't an enormous rebellion by cable service providers against this. This greatly undermines the PPV model and if we know anything about old media it's that they are vindictive, spiteful, and afraid of change.

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by Fandom]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top