The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Discussion Thread for: The Slammy Awards (RAW, 12/9/13)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4412
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Discussion Thread for: The Slammy Awards (RAW, 12/9/13)

Tonight on RAW: it's the Slammys, and WWE has gotten away from the model they've used in recent years (announcing nominees the day of the show, and then only opening voting for about one commercial break before the award is given out), and as a result, we can actually debate and argue about who will/should win each category!

Note: WWE is planning on letting popular vote reign supreme, so don't necessarily consider voting to be an act of futility, if you're one of those dirty little App Users... I even heard that WWE is internally expecting Daniel Bryan to win Wrestler of the Year, which is why they went out of their way to get Shawn Michaels to present said award.

Anyway, on top of some storyline development (we need to distribute some stipulations to the existing matches for Sunday's PPV; so far, we only have the one TLC Match, but generallly speaking, we'll also get one straight up ladder match, plus a tables match, and a chairs match), and a token wrestling match or two (hopefully focusing on some of the Can't Miss Midas Touch Workhorses who've stepped up this autumn), let's just pretend we care deeply about the Slammys...

Here is the complete list of categories, nominees, and presenters:

TELEVISED AWARDS

Superstar of the Year (presenter: Shawn Michaels)

John Cena
Randy Orton
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Big Show
Brock Lesnar

Diva of the Year (presenter: Eve Torres)
AJ Lee
The Bella Twins
The Funkadactyls
Natalya
Kaitlyn
Eva Marie (Winner of the Slammy for "Worst Travesty of Nominationing Ever")

Double-Cross of the Year (presenters: The Shield)
Triple H costs Daniel Bryan the WWE Championship at SummerSlam
Shawn Michaels Superkicks Daniel Bryan at Hell in a Cell
Mark Henry's "retirement speech" on Raw
Paul Heyman costs CM Punk the Money in the Bank Contract at Money in the Bank

Match of the Year (presenter: Bret Hart)
The Undertaker vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania 29
The Rock vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 29
Cody Rhodes & Goldust (w/Dusty Rhodes) vs. Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns (w/Dean Ambrose) with the Rhodes Brothers' jobs on the line at Battleground
Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar in a Steel Cage Match at Extreme Rules

Insult of the Year (presenter: The Miz)
Stephanie McMahon degrades Big Show on Raw
AJ Lee disses the "Total Divas" cast on Raw
Paul Heyman disowns CM Punk
Zeb Colter offends the Universe

"LOL!" Moment of the Year (presenters: The New Age Outlaws)
The Rock Concert at Raw 20th Anniversary
Vickie Guerrero is fired as GM of Raw
Titus O'Neil throws up on JBL, Michael Cole and Zeb Colter on SmackDown
The Great Khali and Jinder Mahal try to charm Santino's cobra on SmackDown

Extreme Moment of the Year (presenter: Mick Foley)
The Shield Triple Powerbombs The Undertaker on SmackDown
Ryback spears John Cena through the LED light board at Extreme Rules
CM Punk exacts vengeance on Paul Heyman at Hell in a Cell
The Wyatts crush Kane at SummerSlam

Fan Participation of the Year (presenters: The Prime Time Players)
Fandango-ing
Yes! Yes! Yes!
Let's go Cena/Cena sucks!
What's Up?

APP EXCLUSIVES (Vote now, results on RAW pre-show at 7:30pm)

Trending Now (Hashtag of the Year) (presenters: Cody Rhodes & Goldust)
#BelieveInTheShield (The Shield)
#FollowTheBuzzards (The Wyatt Family)
#BestForBusiness (The Authority)
#WeThePeople (The Real Americans)

Beard of the Year (presenter: Santino Marella)
Daniel Bryan
The Wyatt Family
Damien Sandow
Zeb Colter

"THIS IS AWESOME!" Moment of the Year (presenter: Christian)
Dolph Ziggler cashes in his Money in the Bank contract
Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Championship from Randy Orton at Night of Champions
Big Show knocks out Triple H
Kofi Kingston hops on a chair to stave off elimination in the Royal Rumble Match

Breakout Star of the Year (presenter: John Laurinaitis)
The Wyatt Family
Big E Langston
Fandango (w/Summer Rae)
The Shield

WWE.COM EXCLUSIVES (Vote now, winners revealed on Monday afternoon)

"What a Maneuver!" Award
Running knee strike (Daniel Bryan)
Black Widow (AJ Lee)
Spear (Roman Reigns)
Cesaro Swing (Antonio Cesaro)

Faction of the Year
The Shield
The Wyatt Family
The Real Americans
3MB

"You Still Got It!" (Best Superstar Return)
Rob Van Dam
Goldust
The Bella Twins
Bruno Sammartino
Chris Jericho

Couple of the Year
Triple H & Stephanie McMahon
Fandango & Summer Rae
Tyson Kidd & Natalya
Daniel Bryan & Brie Bella
John Cena & Nikki Bella
Naomi & Jimmy Uso

Tag Team of the Year
The Shield (Rollins & Reigns)
The Prime Time Players
The Usos
Cody Rhodes & Goldust
The Real Americans

Feat of Strength of the Year
Antonio Cesaro swings The Great Khali
Ryback Shell Shocks Mark Henry
The Shield Triple Powerbombs Big Show
Mark Henry pulls two trucks with his bare hands

"Say What?!" Quote of the Year
"Paul, say somethin' stupid." - Brock Lesnar
"Rise above THIS!" - Damien Sandow
"One stipulation: I'm in my boys' corner and I'll be your huckleberry all night long." - Dusty Rhodes
The "Paulcano" eruption

Best Dance Moves
Fandango
R-Truth
Summer Rae
The Funkadactyls
The Great Khali
"Miz-co Inferno"

Favorite Web Show
"WWE Inbox"
"30-Second Fury"
"The JBL & Cole Show"
"WWE Top 10"

Best Crowd of the Year
Raw after WrestleMania 29 (East Rutherford, N.J.)
WWE Payback (Chicago)
SummerSlam (Los Angeles)
Raw in England (London, Apr. 22)

Catchphrase of the Year
"YES! YES! YES!"
"That's What I Do"
"FAAAAAHHNNNN�DAAAAHHHHNNN�GO."
"Follow the Buzzards"
"We the People"
"Believe in The Shield"

If anything else becomes official, or if some ingenious brainstorm hits regarding what WWE should/could do on the run-up to TLC, I'll post again tomorrow afternoon/evening. But for now, I believe That Is All.

End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Holy crap, that's a lot of awards.

I'm hoping they're hoping Bryan wins superstar of the year and gets a segment with HHH. So, of course, Cena will win.

Obviously, Rock vs Cena should not be match of the year but it will.

For some reason, I hate that "fan participation" is an award.

The other travesties will be AJ not winning Diva of the Year, Cesaro not winning Feat of strength, AJ not winning insult, Henry not winning double cross, Ziggler not winning "This is awesome."

Glad they recognize the greatness of "Paul, say something stupid." Hope that wins.

What's the Paulcano?

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8974
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Salmonjunkie and I will be there!!!!!

Don't Mess With Texas

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4412
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-9-2013 at 05:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Paulcano was Heyman's tribute to the Ultimate Warrior, on the eve of his final match against Punk.

From my recap:

quote:
Backstage: Renee Young is with Paul Heyman (and Ryback and Curtis Axel), and asks him to respond to Punk's earlier promo. He starts off in fairly standard fashion, chiding the fans for cheering such an obvious sociopath as Punk. Normal people fantasize about divas... Punk fantasizes about committing felony assault on a non-athlete. And then, Heyman loses his mind, saying that the fans are misguided and they don't understand and "It's like, it's like a volcano... I'm a volcano, and you don't know what's building up inside, but when it blows, and when the lava and the villagers. You're the villagers. And my lava. The LAVA! THE MELTING! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

THe Ultimate Warrior might have brushed up against that level of ranting craziness, but he never did any better. Jesus, Heyman's insane.

Except: he's not. Just before Renee decided to flee in terror. Heyman suddenly stops and smiles. Gotcha. You see, he's totally IN control, and THAT is his advantage over Mr. CM "do anything for a chance at revenge" Punk. One way or another, probably in a way we least expect it, Ryback will beat Punk inside that Cell and Heyman will emerge unscathed. The smugness was delicious.

The date was Monday October 21, if you want to youtube the full insanity, instead of take my word for it. But for a dot-com award, I probably wouldn't bother. There's enough to waste your time just arguing about the awards that'll be televised.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4115
Registered 1-22-2013
Member Is Online

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 12-9-2013 at 05:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wouldn't be so sure on Cena/Rock winning match of the year. They like to have their top guys get an award each so they can all have an award speech that segues into their current angle.If they think Cena won't win Superstar of the Year, they're probably won't have him win any and have him come out at the end of the show for some shennanigans with Orton. Meanwhile Punk wins match of the year, and as he cuts his promo, The Shield comes out and they further their angle.

Speaking of the Shield,WWE has a great opportunity to subtly throw more gasoline for The Shield's implosion. The Shield winning Tag Team of the Year but losing Stable of the Year would nicely continue the trend of Reigns and Rollins not needing Ambrose.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
""THIS IS AWESOME!" Moment of the Year (presenter: Christian)
Dolph Ziggler cashes in his Money in the Bank contract
Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Championship from Randy Orton at Night of Champions
Big Show knocks out Triple H
Kofi Kingston hops on a chair to stave off elimination in the Royal Rumble Match"

Man.....WWE really wants people to forget that someone beat John Cena 100% clean, in the advertised main event of SummerSlam, for the WWE title.

That gets my vote. If it were actually an option, it would win.

Also, screw Big Show's punch, and replace it with "Lesnar vs. CM Punk - The Whole Match", because that whole match fucking ruled.

-
-
-

Match of the Year (presenter: Bret Hart)
The Undertaker vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania 29
The Rock vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 29
Cody Rhodes & Goldust (w/Dusty Rhodes) vs. Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns (w/Dean Ambrose) with the Rhodes Brothers' jobs on the line at Battleground
Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar in a Steel Cage Match at Extreme Rules

<_<........

>_>...................

Fuck You, Vince.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by CamstunPWG187]

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2006
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 06:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Punk vs Lesnar
Daniel Bryan gauntlet on Raw (the one where he and Cesaro went like half an hour in the middle)
Even the Bryan/Kane/Orton vs Shield on SD where the Shield got their first loss

I'd take any of those three over any match on that list.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

Mood: About to change

posted on 12-9-2013 at 07:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This from another site...

According to The Wrestling Observer (via Wrestlezone, there is a reason why the match between CM Punk and Brock Lesnar was not nominated for the Match of the Year Slammy.

While many within WWE feel it was the best match of the year, it wasn't nominated because CM Punk can't have a better match with Brock Lesnar than Triple H did. The Undertaker vs CM Punk had to be listed because it features Undertaker at WrestleMania.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4115
Registered 1-22-2013
Member Is Online

posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If they're fixing this up to go with what pleases HHH's ego why not choose the match where HHH beat Lesnar?

I think they just wanted to have all four of their part timers involved in this.

jmosley
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 77
Registered 1-17-2013

Mood: And the beat goes on

posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I may be in the minority, but my vote for Match of the Year would go to the Shield/The Rhodes Boys.

Simple story, GREAT match, enormous, well-deserved pop at the end for CoDust. In fact, as good as that match was between Punk and Taker, if the Shield isn't one half of the winning match, then I don't know what to say.

Also, I find it weird that in a year where the WWE has had some really awesome free TV matches, none of said matches were nominated. Cena/Punk from Raw absolutely blew away Rock/Cena II but, since it's the Rock, they felt the need to nominate it.

In regards to Superstar of the Year, I can see a scenario where Bryan wins it, Orton and Cena somehow inject themselves into the acceptance speech and trail off for some brawl and D-Bryan walks into a Shawn Michaels Superkick.

Whoever said that the E is hoping that Bryan wins for the Michaels interaction is spot on and I don't think they'd waste a Shawn Michaels appearance if they weren't pretty certain he'd win either by legit fan voting or their own manipulation.

Also, I'd like to live in a world where Ziggler wins the "This Is Awesome" award then uses his speech to cut a breakthrough, "Pipebomb" like promo on the Authority that vaults him back into the upper tier of the card and gets him interacting with the top guys again. If they're not going to put the US or IC title on him, the best thing they can do is put him in contact with top people to utilize his awesomeness to the full extent.

But that might be asking too much...

Anyway...YAY SLAMMY AWARDS!

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jazzman
This from another site...

According to The Wrestling Observer (via Wrestlezone, there is a reason why the match between CM Punk and Brock Lesnar was not nominated for the Match of the Year Slammy.

While many within WWE feel it was the best match of the year, it wasn't nominated because CM Punk can't have a better match with Brock Lesnar than Triple H did. The Undertaker vs CM Punk had to be listed because it features Undertaker at WrestleMania.

Well, that...or the non-anti-HHH reasoning that they probably don't want Lesnar to win something and lessen the surprise of the moment he eventually returns in the next month or so.

HHH-Lesnar has no shot of winning with the voting crowd and I think he's only nominated for that Say What thing that they probably won't win either. Little video package because you can't completely forget Lesnar this year, but also no wins because they don't want to ruin his (or Heyman's) eventual return.

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

Mood: About to change

posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
If they're fixing this up to go with what pleases HHH's ego why not choose the match where HHH beat Lesnar?

I think they just wanted to have all four of their part timers involved in this.

Which is a stupid strategy. Hey, fans! Forget the weekly product! If the part-timers aren't around, you're not getting any MOTYCs so just tune in 3x/year and forget everything else!

Stupid, but not necessarily untrue.

TonyTH
Showstopper

Posts 611
Registered 10-3-2007

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Didn't Cena and Punk have an awesome match on RAW before Mania too? Where Punk pulled out a piledriver? I remember really enjoying that one.

Beyond that, I think I remember enjoying Punk/Lesner the most. I remember the mark in me enjoying Bryan's gauntlet match a bit more too, but I knew that would be omitted.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   TonyTH 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Paulcano lost to a one liner from Dusty and Roman Reigns' Spear beat out three much more impressive moves. I think I will pass on tonight, because a lot of the results are just going to show how stupid the "WWE Universe" really is an why we can never realistically expect anything better.
Dominator
Dominated by my love for Randy Orton

Posts 1686
Registered 7-5-2007
Location Florida

Mood: RKOFree Since 4/9/13

posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're really worried about how the WWE Universe is going to fuck it up as opposed how WWE Creative is going to fuck it up?

I do NOT love RKO, you sarcastic bastards.
"There are no politics in WWE." - Stephanie McMahon
"BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!!!" - Me

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess it's "Chicken or the Egg?" with that. Is the WWE Universe as mind-numbingly stupid as they often come across because they've been fed a lot of horrible product and been forced to like it by WWE Creative, or is WWE Creative constantly coming up with this sometimes close to unwatchable product because the WWE Universe is comprised of people with absolutely low standards when it comes to entertainment?
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We just had a WWE App tutorial cold open...so....off to a great start!

ETA:

Was that the most decisive Daniel Bryan match ever? Big show off match with an insane crowd. Wonder if they can build Seattle into a new Punk/Chicago stronghold for WWE.

ETA2:

Why has Big E. Langston been wearing the Andre The Giant Manager Tour wardrobe on commentary the last few weeks?

ETA3:

Bellas are Diva of the Year (confusing); get the crap booed out of them by Daniel Bryan's home state (fitting).

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by S Kid J E T S 48]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7906
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 12-10-2013 at 02:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If HBK isn't coming back for a match against Bryan at Mania...doesn't it seem like the only logical thing to do is have him in the WWE title match?

Sure...I'm sick and have a bunch of codeine in me...but it's a possibility isn't it?

Nikhil
And I am AWESOME

Posts 163
Registered 7-12-2011
Location USA

Mood:

posted on 12-10-2013 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wait... thats it!? Its over? Superstar of the year, quite possibly the most important award presented after an hour or so... and nothing really happened

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Nikhil]

YNWA

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 12-10-2013 at 02:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you took a shot every time JBL made an allusion to a new Sin Cara, you'd be plastered about now.
First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4115
Registered 1-22-2013
Member Is Online

posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Y2J chants after that over the top video about Cena vs Orton being a historic match definently makes Seattle look like another potential smark hotspot.
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Will Stephanie McMahon fire Natalya for butt-dialing her? Find out on Total Divas this Sunday, taped 2 months before the Natalya-Tamina match we're watching right after this commericial!"
Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1424
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did they handle announcing winners this way in the past few years? I don't feel like they had people get to the ring and THEN announce winners before matches before, although I could be mistaken. It's felt slightly off the entire time.
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That Daniel Bryan/YES! chant which basically shut down the show for 5 minutes was incredible. Great job, Seattle!

[Please don't fire Mark Henry for raising his hand]

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1084
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 12-10-2013 at 04:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why is Daniel Bryan constantly stealing other people's heat?

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top