The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MLB 2013/2014 Hot Stove/Offseason
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 12-6-2013 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
MLB 2013/2014 Hot Stove/Offseason

Here's a catchup of the big topics:

-Jim Leyland resigned, Davey Johnson retired, Dusty Baker got fired a bit questionably (I don't care for his style/overuse of pitchers, but he got his team to the postseason a few times), and the Cubs fired Dale Sveum, of whom I saw zero of during his Cubs tenure. They were replaced by Brad Ausmus, Matt Williams, Bryan Price, and Rick Renteria, respectively. Also, Ryne Sandberg is taking over for the Phillies next season permanently, and Joe Girardi let the Chicago media smash the hopes of Cubs fans by re-signing with the Yankees after a little bit of a period where he let people think he might be the Cubs manager (unrealistically).

-The Twins picked up the top two pitchers by getting Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes, showing how weak the starting pitching market is this year. Not to be outdone, the Mets signed Curtis Granderson to a respectable $60 million, 4 year contract. None of that was enough to convince people to pay much attention to baseball, until Jay-Z struck and got his first big baseball client, Robinson Cano, a 10 year, $240 million contract, just $12 million off of what Jay-Z had put out as the asking price for Cano's services, but still an amount that, most agree, is way too much money for a single piece for a team that has struggled to win for a while now.

-The Hall of Fame class for this year is actually pretty good (And being discussed here). Of course, one of the three no-brainers will inexplicably be left out, but what do you expect from the BBWAA?

Will any of this be enough to get people excited about baseball again?? Probably not. But stuff is happening. And, if anything, Jay-Z is establishing himself as a pretty good agent so far.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by nOOb]

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cano contract is as dumb as Flacco's.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1671
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love this time of year. Tons of moves already - thank you, hated Yankees - and the winter meetings are just getting started.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 1-22-2014 at 07:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In what is one of the only four important things to happen in baseball this off-season, the Yankees have won the Tanaka race at seven years, $155 million (the other three were the Hall of Fame voting, A-Rod getting suspended for all of next year to the delight of pretty much everyone, and baseball mixing hockey and football replay rules to create a replay system that actually seems really good).

I figured the Cubs weren't going to sign him because that would fill a need (an ace) and the White Sox and D-Backs were never realistic options, so it basically came down to the Dodgers and Yankees. And since the Dodgers have committed a shit-ton of money to starting pitching so far this off-season, it's probably for their best they didn't win. But, really, all this does is give the Yankees a good pitching staff, but still leaves their offense a bit on the anemic side.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8319
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-22-2014 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well now I have to act like I never wanted him on the Dodgers anyway.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 2-25-2014 at 01:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Baseball starts up Thursday. I mention this because, for the first time in God knows how long, the Cubs are going to televise their spring opener. And I'm going to bite the bullet and watch my first Cubs game in two and a half years. So, to anyone who's been following the Cubs more than I have (which is to say watching actual games), is there anything I should be paying attention to? And, realistically, long am I going to have to wait before this team is capable of competing? I ask because the timeframe I keep hearing for a competitive team seems to stay at "three years away", which is a bit bothersome because they first started saying that three years ago.
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8319
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-25-2014 at 05:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stupid Buster Posey. As if I didn't hate the Giants enough, now home plate collisions are gone because he snapped his delicate little ankle. What a pussy... it's a sport, injuries happen sometimes.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 2-25-2014 at 05:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Collisions aren't gone. There's really only two slight modifications to existing rules.

First, catchers can't block the plate unless they have the ball, or - in the umpire's judgment (judgment calls, yay!) - he needs to be there to make a play on the ball. Also, there's an amendment to the fact that runners can't go out of their way to initiate contact - they can't lower their shoulders, push out with hands and elbows. The first makes total sense. The second? I guess the idea is that runners will have to slide or risk getting hurt, as they can't lower their shoulders. But that would still mean that the umpires have to enforce the rule.

As such, it should lower the amount of collisions at the plate, but they aren't gone completely.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top