The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: roh final battle
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 03:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
roh final battle

Thinking of going to this show. Anyone know what's going on in ROH? Is this shaping up to be a good show?

Also, is Steen involved? I Don't see him on the card.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 03:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Paging Dev......

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

akathemaskedman
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 19
Registered 1-17-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 04:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I haven't caught up on ROH in a bit, but if you haven't been to one of their events at the Hammerstein Ballroom I highly recommend it -- they always put on a good show and the atmosphere in there is just amazing.

As for the card, the Cole-Elgin-Briscoe main event should be crazy-in-a-good-way, the tag title match will be really good (maybe the best match on the card if they don't fall into the strong style sinkhole that sometimes infests that division), and apparently Steen is taking on Mike Bennett (aka Mr. Maria Kanellis).

Also, ACH is wrestling Jesus. Keep an eye out for him -- he will be gallingly underutilized in WWE someday.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 06:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Masked Man doesn't remember when we tweeted each other about Whitmer's crazy table bump and Ladder War IV. That makes me a sad panda.

Hammerstein is great except when the crowd gets too Impact-zoney and try to become the show.

ETA

This sounds like a waste of Steen.

And isn't Homicide washed up?

To bad Paul London isn't back until January.

[Edited on 11/20/2013 by theflammablemanimal]

[Edited on 11/20/2013 by theflammablemanimal]

@EofMasculinity

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9484
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Watched my first ROH TV in a while the other night and saw the London-Strong main event. Damn good stuff.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

akathemaskedman
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 19
Registered 1-17-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-20-2013 at 09:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
Masked Man doesn't remember when we tweeted each other about Whitmer's crazy table bump and Ladder War IV.

I had deliberately wiped that disturbing incident from my memory. The bump, I mean. Forgetting those tweets was an unnecessary byproduct.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2013 at 05:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This seems as good a place as any for this news, Davey Richards, who was suppose to team with Eddie Edwards at Final Battle in their going away match, announced on facebook that he's done with ROH and won't be at Final Battle.

Quote: With a heavy heart I can announce that myself and ROH have parted ways for good and I will not be at Final Battle. Please continue to support them and the incredible talent they have. Thanks for the memories. It was an amazing ride.

He just pulled out of a show in Japan so who knows, it might be injury related. No point in risking anything if he's going to sign with the WWE. ROH didn't announce who the Wolves were facing so it shouldn't be too hard to find something for Edwards to do.

The card looks pretty solid. How does their new site work? You have to watch the stream after the show is over? That seems like it would suck and I'd rather not do that if there was another option. Unless someone here wants to swing by Kentucky way and pick me up.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9484
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Davey and Eddie apparently debuted in NXT recently as the American Pitbulls (with new WWE-approved names of course, which weren't too horrible if I remember correctly). So good for them.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2013 at 02:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So is Eddie out of final battle too?

American Pit bulls is a bad name only because they're have already been so many pit bull teams in wrestling (although only one in WWE). Why not just go with The Wolves?

@EofMasculinity

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood:

posted on 12-1-2013 at 09:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Reports are that Edwards is going to be there. Apparently ROH pulled Davey after he ran his mouth or something. Davey Richards running his mouth, why I never.

sszanto
And I am AWESOME

Posts 182
Registered 8-23-2011

Mood: maniacal laugh

posted on 12-4-2013 at 06:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akathemaskedman
Also, ACH is wrestling Jesus. Keep an eye out for him -- he will be gallingly underutilized in WWE someday.

ACH is from Austin, and when ROH came to San Antonio last summer he must have had about twenty family members at the show. He introduced us to his Moms. Great kid. I'm really rootin' for him, and I look forward to seeing him again when ROH returns to San Antonio in February.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. -Bob Newhart

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1084
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 12-4-2013 at 02:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Big fan of ACH; he works some St. Louis-area indies(think he recently moved to the area). He and Xavier Woods would probably be dream tag partners given their mutual DBZ fandom.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood:

posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How was the show to anyone who went? All I've heard is that Hero came back.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wish I could tell you but I got snowed out again. 2nd time that's happened at final battle.

@EofMasculinity

sszanto
And I am AWESOME

Posts 182
Registered 8-23-2011

Mood: maniacal laugh

posted on 12-15-2013 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Based on things people are saying on ROH's facebook page, Hero returned and caused interference that helped Adam Cole win. Tomasso Ciampa won the tv title, and Outlaw Inc nearly caused a riot.

Still no official results released from ROH until after the on-demand video replay is made available on their website Monday. It's a nice gesture from them to keep their website spoiler-free, but really they just need to get a reliable ippv distributor.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. -Bob Newhart

SaiyaJinDX
And I am AWESOME

Posts 230
Registered 11-13-2005

Mood: Chillin

posted on 12-16-2013 at 03:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I went to the show. It was pretty good overall.

As expected the Young Bucks stole the show against ACH & Tadarius Thomas. There were some insane spots in that match, including one near the end, where Thomas went for a dive to the outside on the Bucks (a suicide plancha, a la Daniel Bryan or Austin Aries) and the Bucks caught him with a double superkick in midair.

The only match that wasn't good was ReDragon vs Outlaw Inc. That match was terrible. The crowd was completely against Outlaw Inc (they weren't thrilled with them when they debuted during the last show in NYC either, and I don't blame them). Kingston is terrible and Homicide is less than a shadow of what he once was. We were NOT happy to have them shoved down out throats for this tag title match at the biggest show of the year. They didn't help their cause by botching a bunch of spots. Also, the contrast in styles was really evident and they just did not mesh well, which just made the crowd turn on this match even faster (it wasn't Lesnar-Goldberg level, but it was along those lines).

Eddie Edwards mystery partner wound up being BJ Whitmer. When McGuiness was making the announcement, he almost took people off guard by saying "this is a guy who never really had a chance to have a final goodbye in ROH. He didn't go out on his terms... etc" and I thought he may just insert himself in the match.

But no it was Whitmer, and I was actually worried most of the match bc I haven't kept up on the situation but I had heard he had a serious neck injury along the lines of what happened to Edge that caused him to retire. So the whole match I'm cringing every time he took a bump (and he sold it really well too).

Edwards & Whitmer win the match when Edwards gets a quick roll up win on Strong. Then after, Lethal allows Edwards to make a speech and then leaves. Strong stays and Edwards says his goodbyes and also thanks Whitmer for teaming with him and that he respects him and it's unfortunate that while he's going on to do other things, this is the end of the line for him and he wishes it didn't have to be that way. So they hug and Whitmer says "my career is just starting" and him and Strong double-team Edwards and knock him out. Then Jimmy Jacobs comes out, uses that railroad spike on Edwards and we've got ourselves a stable of ROH Originals, who are pissed that the fans celebrate all the guys that leave ROH for greener pastures while they stay and keep the company afloat.

The angle sounds decent, but I just really don't like Jacobs as a wrestler, and I wonder about Whitmer's physical condition (I'm also not a big fan of his either). But I'll give it a chance.

Main event was really good. Although it got a bit messy at the end, with Matt Hardy running in to aid Cole and then Mark Briscoe coming in to neutralize Hardy. But Elgin was a beast and was destroying everybody. He even kicked out of two Jay Drillers. But Cole wound up winning with a sneaky rollup on Elgin as he and Jay Briscoe were going at it.

The crowd was really hot for Elgin to win, but Cole is a good heel champ. ROH really painted themselves into a corner there bc the crowd wants Elgin as champ and you don't want to keep jobbing him out, but Cole is a solid hand as the champ too and you don't wanna jump off that train yet, since it just started it's journey.

After the match Cole & Hardy double-teamed everyone, knocking them out with the title belt but then Chris Hero's music hit. Hero actually showed up and came out of the crowd and knocked out both guys and announced he's officially back.

Happy for Hero and it'll be cool to see him in the main event picture, but at the same time it's almost the same scenario as with Elgin. The crowd is going to be hot for him, so you either have to give up on the Cole experiment and give Hero the belt, or have Cole cheaply retain, which makes Hero look bad. They could try something like Orton & Bryan in WWE, but in the end, all that does is remove Hero from the top again and once Hero & Elgin are disposed of... both very over with the crowd NOW, who does Cole eventually lose to? Right now there's no one else over enough to put into that top spot and ROH is in danger of spinning it's wheels too long and they can't afford that right now.

So yeah, I'm curious to see where this all goes.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8013
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-16-2013 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hero's going to be so overexposed on the indies faster than anybody I've ever seen. He's already shown up in like 5 or 6 different companies in main event angles and has a few more on the horizon.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 12-17-2013 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What happened during the Homicide/Kingston match? I've heard the crowd totally turned on the match and Homicide and Kingston stopped the match and went after fans and tore up the ringside area.
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-17-2013 at 02:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Hero's going to be so overexposed on the indies faster than anybody I've ever seen. He's already shown up in like 5 or 6 different companies in main event angles and has a few more on the horizon.

How do you get overexposed on the indys? Johnny Gargano was getting pushed in like 4 promotions (DG, Chikara, PWG and AIW) and didn't get overexposed. There just aren't enough dates.

Besides, goodness, does ROH need something like this right now.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8013
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-17-2013 at 03:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Because DG runs shows every 3 months, PWG is every 6 weeks and until the recent few shows, Gargano was an undercard guy there and in Chikara he was in a tag team.

Hero's been back on the indies for less than 2 months and has already wrestled for 3 or 4 companies titles, will be wrestling for the PWG title this upcoming weekend I believe, and now interjected himself into the ROH world title picture. I like Hero. I think there's a ton of fresh matches for him on the indies, but he's going to face everyone and challenge for every title within 6 months at this clip.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-17-2013 at 04:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Because DG runs shows every 3 months, PWG is every 6 weeks and until the recent few shows, Gargano was an undercard guy there and in Chikara he was in a tag team.

Hero's been back on the indies for less than 2 months and has already wrestled for 3 or 4 companies titles, will be wrestling for the PWG title this upcoming weekend I believe, and now interjected himself into the ROH world title picture. I like Hero. I think there's a ton of fresh matches for him on the indies, but he's going to face everyone and challenge for every title within 6 months at this clip.

The next six months will be fun. It'd be great if he won all the belts and wore them like Great Sasuke.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 12-17-2013 at 10:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kingston is not terrible. He's far from that, actually. He's actually quite amazing, at times.

Sometimes, matches don't work. I could never see that match being good on paper, and it turned out to be shitty, apparently.

Also, fuck ROH's NYC crowd...and for that matter, fuck ROH's crowd, period. I have been in that terrible line before the Manhattan Center shows. Multiple times. They have the lamest fucking fans at those New York shows. Shit, even the ones in Baltimore are total lame-asses.

I haven't been to an ROH NYC show since GBH 2011, but given how little they changed between my first trip (2009) and my last, I can't imagine their elitist, what-is-PWG?, ROH-is-the-best-promotion-ever, CZW-and-CHIKARA-are-garbage-wrestling mindset has changed much. Other than the one cool fan I met there, fuck those wankers.

Damn, it's been a while since I vented on a crowd.

SaiyaJinDX
And I am AWESOME

Posts 230
Registered 11-13-2005

Mood: Chillin

posted on 12-17-2013 at 06:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kingston is a good character and he is capable of decent matches under the right circumstances, but I haven't seen one in awhile (at least not in ROH). The last good match he had there was against Hero (like 3 years ago), and that was mostly bc it was a street fight where he could take advantage of the weapons and stuff.

He's done some decent stuff in other indy's, but honestly, I haven't been impressed in many matches where he can't go "hardcore." (But that might just be my taste, I can't stand guys like Steve Corino either in "regular" matches).

They are just two guys whose style I'm not interested in, especially when they are restricted by regular rules, because then you can really see where they lack.

I agree, this match wasn't going to work because of the contrast in styles, but again, I look at their roster of tag teams and other possible opponents, and no future match makes me go like "ooh, I can't wait to see them fight!" (Other than maybe the Young Bucks, but those guys can make almost anyone look good).

I just think the NY crowd had a similar mindset.

I've been to different crowds, and I'll admit, the NY crowd can be wankery, but there are some true fans out there. I haven't gotten into PWG myself, but that's mostly due to lack of funds to purchase DVDs and time to watch even if I did because I have a two year old at home. I've heard good things though, and will hopefully one day get into it.

I have gone to DGUSA, CHIKARA & Evolve shows though between here and Philly and they've been a blast. I would love if some of those guys came over to ROH bc right now, those shows have been more exciting.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 12-18-2013 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've seen Kingston several times in Chikara and he's a good change of pace guy. Chikara has a lot of highflying stuff and Eddie was the guy whose matches look like a fight, not a performance and comedy is not welcome.

I enjoyed Kingston/Cabana (Cabana's comedy and style getting on Eddie's nerves), Kingston/Quack (both guys brought it that night) and Kingston/Archibald Peck (Peck played the plunky underdog very well), but found Kingston/Steen very boring and, by the end of Chikara, I very, very badly wanted to see the title off of him.

Kingston benefited in Chikara as being a singles guy in a world of tag teams as well as being the guy who often got to wrestle the special attraction on the card. His promo on Lince Dorado is one of the best I've ever heard (first minute or so of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UZ_s3kbnGA).

In ROH, these sort of things are nothing special as everyone's serious, there are better brawlers and he was stuck in a tag team.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2495
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 12-18-2013 at 06:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kingston is more than capable as a singles wrestler. I'd say he is one of my favorites, mainly because of his gritty style. He's like Super Dragon, except not AS pissed off.

Check out his matches with Chris Hero from CZW and IWA, El Generico, Quack, Tozawa, Icarus, Jigsaw, Super Dragon, Human Tornado....I could go on here, but whatever.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top