The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The fading art of the grilled cheese in modern society
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 10-6-2013 at 06:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I finally acquired some materials to make my first grilled cheese in China. Just butter, bread, pepperjack and American, and some good ole fashioned nothing else.

Look at this shit. Look good? It most likely is delicious. Yet, these assholes have the audacity to call it a grilled cheese:

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/u...rilled-cheese-8217-part-french-160900117.html

When a grilled cheese is referred to as 'part French Onion soup', you've lost me. Look at that monster! Certainly it tastes amazing, but that's just a stacked fucking sandwich with extra cheese.

The more shit you throw on a grilled cheese, the more and more it stops being a grilled cheese.

Bacon is acceptable, but even then, you want a 75:25% ratio of cheese to extra shit, so I'm sorry, if you throw on that thick-cut bacon, you better be throwing some extra deli-cut slices on that bastard. When you break that ratio....

...you fall into the 'Melt' category. We all love melts. Crab, Bacon, Tuna, Turkey..we can all agree, Melts are good stuff. Thing is, you have to be in the 60:40/50:50/40:60 ratio range to stay in the 'Melt Zone' as Einstein once named it.

And then there are sandwiches that transcend time itself, delivering an immersive taste euphoria that rarely can be touched, yet the chef will tarnish his legacy (and insult our stupidity) by calling it a grilled cheese. Look, just because a Reuben (a real Reuben) is grilled doesn't mean it's a grilled cheese. It's still called a fucking Reuben.

Chefs need to be more creative. Give your sandwich a proper name. Shoving everything on there and melting it down does not a grilled cheese make. Call it the Arceus, the Mewtwo, the Camstun187, I don't give a fuck.

Just don't call it a grilled cheese.

EDIT: Wow, the boards are acting funny. Delete the other two topics, please, Mods.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-6-2013 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Personally I think tomatoes and bacon (and possibly jalapenos) are the only acceptable additions to a grilled cheese whilst still calling it a grilled cheese.

That said, being the ultra cheese lover I am, you could cover a turd in melted cheesy deliciousness and I'd probably devour it and love it.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8316
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-6-2013 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I put mayo and jalapenos on mine. And they're delicious.

Edit-- great minds, gooker.

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-6-2013 at 07:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Holy shit, I referenced jalapenos before your post. Psychic link continued.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

posted on 10-9-2013 at 05:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
let us all post pictures of our grilled cheese creations!

Once I go to the market once more, I will post mine!

EDIT: Just re-read punkers, and am shocked about the mayo application. I love mayonaisse as much as the next guy, but on a grilled cheese? Do you put it on after it is made or before it is made? Very interesting. I'm intrigued, and have never heard of it before.

Also, I agree with the jalapenos, bacon, and sauteed tomatoes.

Anyone ever put some oregano on theirs? Quite delicious.

[Edited on 10-9-2013 by CamstunPWG187]

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 10-10-2013 at 08:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I make it with some turkey or other deli meat. Bread, cheese, at least two layers of meat, more cheese, other piece of bread. Then when it's done it's easy to pull apart because the meat doesn't get sticky. Add some mayo and sliced tomato, man oh man, that's good eating. I like the tomato better uncooked, plus it's a good opportunity to add mayo, which makes everything better.

The "B" is for Bargain!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-11-2013 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mayo in a grilled cheese?

GROSS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-11-2013 at 01:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Mayo in a grilled cheese?

GROSS!

Yeah, I love mayo as well but that was my first reaction. I mean, I'll take it on, say, a tuna melt or turkey melt any day but just the thought of a slab of melted cheese along with mayo does not whet the appetite.

As an aside, how does everyone cook their grilled cheese creations? Good ol' pan? Foreman Grill? I've always experimented and have never really settled on one final way.

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by gobbledygooker]

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doctorb
I make it with some turkey or other deli meat. Bread, cheese, at least two layers of meat, more cheese, other piece of bread. Then when it's done it's easy to pull apart because the meat doesn't get sticky. Add some mayo and sliced tomato, man oh man, that's good eating. I like the tomato better uncooked, plus it's a good opportunity to add mayo, which makes everything better.

....You)ve just described a sandwich, man. That's not a grilled cheese. Good SANDWICH, yes, but not a grilled cheese.

Also, I use a good ole fashioned stovetop/frying pan. I used to use a foreman grill way back when...wish i still had that thing. Panini's and grilled cheeses were so easy.

Also, butter or olive oil always coats the pan before the bread is put down.

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by CamstunPWG187]

salmonjunkie

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's always butter on the pan for me. I had a Foreman Grill back in the day too. I know they're handy for sandwiches and a quick burger, but I hated the cleanup on those things. Great for a college dorm, though.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8316
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-11-2013 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, don't knock the mayo thing until you try it. It's good. And I always put it on before grilling it. Mayo on both sides of the bread, add the cheese, then cook it.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-11-2013 at 07:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That just reminds me of The Simpsons episode where Homer is forcing Bart to butter his bacon during breakfast.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 806
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-12-2013 at 07:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It reminds me of Denise Richards in Undercover Brother. Mayonnaise is so gross; although I will say that that olive oil mayo stuff ain't too shabby.
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

posted on 10-12-2013 at 03:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
That just reminds me of The Simpsons episode where Homer is forcing Bart to butter his bacon during breakfast.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

God damn I love that part.

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 10-12-2013 at 04:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As long as you live in my house, under my roof, you will live by my rules!

quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187

....You)ve just described a sandwich, man. That's not a grilled cheese. Good SANDWICH, yes, but not a grilled cheese.

Point taken.

The "B" is for Bargain!

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

posted on 10-19-2013 at 03:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So last night, I made a grilled cheese with pure mozzarella, oregano, and ground black peppercorn.

I naturally ate it so fast that I couldn't take a picture.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-21-2013 at 02:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There exists a restaurant in the U.S. (probably multiple ones at this point) that I've seen on the Food Network that specializes in nothing but grilled cheese. I must make a pilgrimage to this place.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-21-2013 at 03:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seattle has at least two food trucks that do, and LA has one that as well that parks on the UCLA campus at lunch time.

Last year, LA had a grilled cheese festival as well.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-21-2013 at 05:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am on the wrong coast.

Although southerners and their love of all things fried has got to transition to grilled cheese sometime in the near future.

Fried Grilled Cheese here I come!!

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4403
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-21-2013 at 05:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That technology already exists. Sort of. It's called a Monte Cristo sandwich.

It's basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich (on good, thick-cut bread), dipped in a light batter, then fried up in butter. I've had it served with extra cheese sauce on top, rendering it a knife-and-fork item, but in its simplest form, it's pretty much a bastard child of grilled cheese and french toast. A delicious bastard child.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-22-2013 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Seattle has at least two food trucks that do

One is at my work every Wednesday. Alas gluten + dairy allergy have this out of my reach.

Don't Mess With Texas

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2493
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China
Member Is Online

posted on 10-22-2013 at 09:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Monte Cristo's are amazing.

I had one that was Mozz, Pepperoni, chipotle tobasco, and fried onions before.

It was called "The Boxcar".

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9478
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2013 at 12:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
That technology already exists. Sort of. It's called a Monte Cristo sandwich.

It's basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich (on good, thick-cut bread), dipped in a light batter, then fried up in butter. I've had it served with extra cheese sauce on top, rendering it a knife-and-fork item, but in its simplest form, it's pretty much a bastard child of grilled cheese and french toast. A delicious bastard child.

Rick

I was going to ask if you shit at all during the week following this cheese-infused masterpiece but I guess the better serves as a good intestinal lubricant.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-22-2013 at 03:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tex, which truck is it?

Gooker - while I have yet to try a fried grilled cheese (and why have I not?!?!), there are a few places in Seattle that have fried cheese curds. They're quite delicious.

Rick, I concur that Monte Cristos are amazing gut-busting sandwiches.

In Seattle we had a truck called Monte Cristo (they closed up shop and moved to Portland, unfortunately) that had what they called The “Full Monte” Cristo. A “cheese blend”, canadian bacon, wagner’s cinnamon swirl bread, batter dipped and griddled, buttered, powered sugared & fresh squeezed lime topped – no jam. Granted, it's not your classic Monte Cristo (which I can think of two spots in Seattle and a few in LA that make them superbly), but it's a damn good twist of the classic.

They also had a grilled cheese - grafton cheddar, new moon jack & gruyere, macrina brioche served w/ spiced blueberry au jus. The blueberry au jus was fucking delicious.

I've tried many fancy grilled cheeses, and they've mostly been great. But sometimes, Kraft american on white with a side of tomato soup (with a dash of sour cream) is the bees fucking knees.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-22-2013 at 05:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought it was Wizards of Cheese but I can't find their website anymore. Maybe we didn't eat enough of their stuff

Don't Mess With Texas

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top