The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Avatars
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4374
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-28-2002 at 05:07 AM Edit Post

Here's the deal: this software doesn't allow for a limit on avatars. Your choices are ON and OFF. Which do you people want?

Rick
rick@onlineonslaught.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cuthbert
Banned

Posts 246
Registered 1-3-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-29-2002 at 11:50 AM Edit Post
I have no problem with people being original when they're posting on boards (except when they use 5 different font sizes and 7 differnt colors in one post), but there have been too many cases, in my opinion, of the use of avatars causing too much annoyance to so many others that I can't see it being worth keeping them.

But, since I don't use them, it isn't a huge thing to me I suppose.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4374
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 2-5-2002 at 07:50 AM Edit Post
The vote here was inconclusive, at best, on the issue of avatars.

So here's what I did: I found another option that allows me to limit avatars based on a user's "status." So I set it so that if you're a regular, you'll quickly get to use your avatar (I figured a regular won't be an asshole about a 600-pixel-wide image)...

Once you get your number of posts up to 100 (three stars), you get to use avatars. Before that, no dice. Some folks are already there, and a lot of others will be before too long.

I hope that's fair... and that people don't start posting idiotic one word posts just to inflate their total so they can have they're little avatars. Cuz then I'll just shut them off for everybody.

Rick
rick@onlineonslaught.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
etee
Fella

Posts 316
Registered 1-5-2002
Location in front of my PC.

Mood: Radio-active.

posted on 2-5-2002 at 02:02 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

I hope that's fair... and that people don't start posting idiotic one word posts just to inflate their total so they can have they're little avatars. Cuz then I'll just shut them off for everybody.

Don't use 'em myself - don't intend to. I can pretty well live with whatever you decide. But, if someone starts inflating their post total so they can have "little" avatars, I wouldn't be bothered. However, if they started putting on one-word posts so they can slam some 800x600 animated GIF down everyone's connection....

WHAM! POW! To the MOON!

(or however that goes.)

Seriously, do as you feel best. It is your site, after all...

Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 2-5-2002 at 04:52 PM Edit Post
about the one word posts simply so thay can get their avatars up:

as moderator, couldn't you simply delete them and knock their total post count back down? Or does the software allow that? I know this would probably be a time consuming process for you but it's worth a thought.

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
Kneecaps
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 87
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 2-6-2002 at 04:28 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

Heh. They'd do that anyway

beatenlikeagovernmentmule
Fella

Posts 294
Registered 1-7-2002
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: malcontent

posted on 2-6-2002 at 07:11 PM Edit Post
I like to think that people here rather enjoyed seeing Stacy Keibler flashing her ass to Nick Patrick every time I made a post. The 100 post idea does sound like a good solution though. I doubt there are more than a handful of idiots who would make stupid little posts just to reach the avatar quota. If anything it should increase valid and meaningful posting.
NoneSoVile
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-18-2002
Location NYC

posted on 2-6-2002 at 10:09 PM Edit Post
Damn I was wondering were my lil image went. Well since I have been whoring around the forums all day and am almost at a hundy posts... my shit is coming back soon!!

BigBlue86
Fella

Posts 448
Registered 1-11-2002

posted on 2-8-2002 at 04:07 AM Edit Post
Huh? What's an avatar? Wait....wasn't that Al Snow?

brianfigliola
Banned

Posts 172
Registered 2-12-2002
Location Clinton County, Pennsylvania

posted on 3-25-2002 at 07:35 PM Edit Post
Personally i don't care, i just post them posts

"Please email me pictures of feces and male sodomy."

DeadManSelling
rOOkie

Posts 38
Registered 4-9-2002
Location Italy? Italy!

posted on 4-9-2002 at 06:13 PM Edit Post
uh... I can't decide between 2 avatars I wanna put on my profile... Natural Born killers... or Sylvia Saint all wet and naked?... tough choice...
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
Banned

Posts 219
Registered 1-5-2002
Location Pittsburgh,PA Home of the Steelers

posted on 4-10-2002 at 04:06 AM Edit Post
Why are you telling us?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss 's Yahoo
DeadManSelling
rOOkie

Posts 38
Registered 4-9-2002
Location Italy? Italy!

posted on 4-10-2002 at 05:54 AM Edit Post
don't know... if I'm asking then I guess it's because i'd be interested to know what would you prefer. You see, this is still a communuty albeit an internet one, so one should *dress up* diligently and make the best out of his account...

*currently looking for a position as columnist... and I don't totally suck, BTW *

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
shithousepoet
Banned

Posts 216
Registered 5-28-2003

Mood: Being Good

posted on 5-9-2002 at 11:30 PM Edit Post
Avatars are cool, you can put a pic of someone that u think is a shill

Is Goning to be a good Boy Now.

gregtdj
And I am AWESOME

Posts 198
Registered 3-27-2002
Location Tennessee

Mood: Saucy.

posted on 5-12-2002 at 01:26 AM Edit Post
All for the avatar as long as EVERYBODY is kind enough to make them the same size so there are no problems.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

New Topic New Poll

go to top