The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE 2K14
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 6-27-2013 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE 2K14

Figure it's as good a time as any to start this since they devoted way too much time to revealing a cover that had already been revealed months before on Raw this week. Here's the first trailer:

So far, the confirmed roster (from that trailer) is:

Stone Cold
The Rock
Shawn Michaels
John Cena
Ryback (who looks exactly like the CAW model from last year's DLC)
Dolph Ziggler
Randy Savage

I am a bit leery this year. Yukes is still developing the game, so gameplay will likely remain identical to previous years. But the thing that made last year's game so great was the Attitude Era mode. Outside of that, the game was basically SvR 2012 with a new coat of paint. And the problem 2K14 will have is how do they top Attitude Era? The next period was the Invasion and the pre-Brand Split, which was not a particularly fond time frame, and, unless they let you redo that period properly, I don't care to relive it. They could try the Brand Split timeframe, but that period of time involves Eric Bischoff, Kurt Angle, the Dudleys, and the Hardyz, among others no longer with the company, in pretty notable roles (along with Chris Benoit, who they won't put in a game).

The era before the brand split (post Hogan/pre-Attitude) was also pretty bad for WWE, but not so much for WCW and ECW. And, since they own both, that might be something they could visit: reliving WCW and ECW in their glory days (they won't, because Vince will look at that as a sign of weakness for the company). So that leaves the early 90's/late 80's (which features Hogan, who is the enemy right now) and the current era (which was the problem THQ had, because those original story lines using current guys left Yukes too much wiggle room to screw up, which they always did).

It's a good thing WWE 13 earned so much goodwill. 2K may need it.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

futurelegend91
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 81
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Space Mountain, fat boy!

Mood: Meh.

posted on 6-27-2013 at 10:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow. Looks exactly like '13. I can't say I'm too impressed at this point, but it could be cool. nOOb, I agree 100% that the Attitude Era mode made '13, and, personally, I don't have faith in Yuke's ability to top it.

I'll just have to wait and see, but I, too, am leery.

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 6-27-2013 at 10:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I figure this year won't be anything special. Most of this work was done while THQ was still in charge, and of course the developer is the same in any case. Next year...what with the XBone and PS4 coming out and 2K being in charge from the start...we might get a REAL graphics and game play overhaul. That being said, I would like the attitude era to continue, but show the WCW/ECW side of the story with as many of the guys as they can. They've used Hogan recently in spite of TNA, and it looks like Macho Man will be in the game. The old Superstars of Wrestlemania wasn't all that well received so an update to the 'superstars' era could also be pretty good--just use the modern roster for WWE Universe and whatnot.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-28-2013 at 12:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not getting it. Just like last year.

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 6-28-2013 at 01:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Not getting it. Unlike AIDS.

fixed for truth

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-30-2013 at 01:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Savage is in. I don't care, I'm buying it.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Cherokee Jack
The Rowdy One

Posts 2020
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 6-30-2013 at 03:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm having a hard time trying to think of more "themes" that they can do. They kinda did WCW in WWE 12, though it was all guys that were attached to WWE anyway with no outsiders (no pun intended) included (Booker, Nash, Arn, Steamboat, etc). The biggest obstacle to doing a WCW theme even if you did is Sting. One man yes, but arguably the biggest star in the company's history: at the very least the only guy who was there the entire time in WCW and a consistent main event level guy the entire time.

ECW would be a lot of fun if they were willing to go out and get all the guys that aren't under contract to them. As far as I can think of off the top of my head, the only guys of any real consequence that TNA has (and thus wouldn't be available) are the Dudleys and Taz (and even Taz supposedly may be leaving soon). Not having the Dudleys would kinda suck, but if they go out and get Raven, Funk, Douglas, Lynn, Public Enemy, Sabu, the bWo, the FBI, etc, that could be cool.

As far as WWE2K14, I'll probably rent it and maybe buy after a while when the price drops. I agree that this is a year that may be rough with the company transition. So keeping my expectations tempered for this one, but really looking forward to what 2K can do for 2K15 having a year to work on it.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 6-30-2013 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So long as they avoid the type of story mode SvR 2012 had (set results, no deviating from the path, and, even if you do enough to win the match, you'll still probably lose), 2K14 should be tolerable. This will most likely be a Black Friday pickup (like last year, when it dropped to $30 at Walmart), unless reviews are absolutely horrid.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3282
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map
Member Is Online

Mood: Old

posted on 7-1-2013 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
90% of my time in these games over the years has been spent creating long form 100+ match stories, but since they've made story designer worse every year they've kind of ruined it for me. So many bugs gets infuriating.

Freezes, floating cameras, wrong music, pink threads, Cody as a bad word, character porting errors etc.

It's mindnumbing how many glitches this mode has had for years especially when SvR10 had none of it. SvR11 had alot. SvR12 was the great server outage year and it broke my will. Even SvR13 didn't address this stuff.

Personally the only 360 game I'm buying is GTA5 then it's on to XBox One and ruining my life with Elder Scrolls Online.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2013 at 01:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Warrior may be in as a preorder bonus

With Austin and Savage confirmed and Warrior and Sammartino rumored, and Owen now available to be used since WWE settled their lawsuit with Martha, I'm wondering if the theme of this one might just be "legends" in general as opposed to a specific time period

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 7-15-2013 at 05:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-15-2013 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okay, that was awesome. The graphics look identical to the last two years, and there's still nothing on roster or theme, but this helps a bit.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 7-15-2013 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gets gassed just riding the elevator?

Good to see nothing's changed. Well, except the hair.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 7-15-2013 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Iron Sheik reacts:

quote:

Ultimate Warrior you are in new video game. you look worse than dead dog shit your lucky i dont beat the fuck out of you jabroni

[Edited on 7-15-2013 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 7-15-2013 at 10:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Okay, that was awesome. The graphics look identical to the last two years, and there's still nothing on roster or theme, but this helps a bit.

There are some screenshots of audience members in Piper and Andre shirts, which tends to suggest they're in the game, too, so it's looking more and more like it might be a late 80s/early 90s theme? And Hogan's got the Legends contract so technically they can use him, with Vince's approval.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 7-15-2013 at 11:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I kind of got the dream match vibe with this one since I heard Bruno was in it. Mixing the wrestlers of most of our youths and the glory days would be awesome. It would be everything that they ruined with legends of wrestlemania. Plus, you have to think LOD, the Outlaws and other people who swim game to game will also be in it.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-16-2013 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was awesome.

And now I'm amped for a Sting vs. Warrior match. The Bladerunners EXPLODE!!

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 7-16-2013 at 05:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As much of an insane dickhead as Warrior may be these days, I have to admit, that was pretty fucking great.

And it's interesting that the WWE video games have been a bridge to bring back guys who have had a bad or non-existent relationship with the WWE...it was Savage a couple of years ago (right before his untimely death, I believe) and now Warrior.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 7-16-2013 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
IGN has the first "preview"

It's a read, I guess. Here's the cliff notes:

-The guys I listed above are the only confirmed roster entries.
-Reversals are no longer holds, but are now attacks, meaning you can reverse reversals...and reversal reversals...and reversal reversal reversals. IGN points out that this "good idea" could quickly become very annoying if you play someone really good online or if the AI does what it does on occasion in WWE games where it reverse 90% of the moves you execute.
-You can use finishers on multiple opponents if it is a move that's been used on two guys (like chokeslamming two guys, Shellshocking two guys, etc.).

Other than that, nothing else is known. No theme (though we seem to all be on the same page about "legends" being the theme), no new roster guys, nothing. Hardly seemed worth the effort, but the new information is interesting. I like (finally) being able to double-chokeslam guys with Kane, but that reversal-into-reversal-into-reversal likely needs to be tweaked, because there's no chance I'm playing online if that's how it goes, and it may wind up going back to Gamestop very quick if the AI is counter-happy like in 2009-2012.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 7-17-2013 at 01:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The reversal thing sounds awesome but with the same concern you noted. The weird thing to me is that they say that Ryback can shell shock two people and he's in a video doing it, but he's not one of the confirmed people in the game. If they are using him for an example, one would think he would be a slam dunk to be in it?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-1-2013 at 05:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Special Edition will be an Undertaker coffin themed tin, complete with "American Badass" Taker.

quote:

2K today announced that enigmatic WWE Superstar The Undertaker will be featured through the “Phenom Edition” of “WWE 2K14,” the forthcoming release in the WWE flagship video game franchise. Available for the Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, while supplies last, the “WWE 2K14 Phenom Edition” is scheduled to include the following items:

Exclusive tin coffin box;
Exclusive collectible art card personally autographed by The Undertaker;
Exclusive Undertaker playable character: “American Badass”;
Exclusive Undertaker-themed controller skin;
“WWE Undertaker – The Streak”: Disc #1 (on Blu-Ray/DVD);
Access to “WWE 2K14” global pre-order offer: Ultimate Warrior playable character;
Copy of “WWE 2K14” video game.

“The Deadman. The Lord of Darkness. The American Badass. The Phenom. In every aspect of his career, The Undertaker has commanded the admiration and respect of WWE fans and newcomers alike for more than two decades,” said Chris Snyder, Senior Director of Marketing at 2K. “His unequivocal legacy will be fully realized in the 'WWE 2K14 Phenom Edition’ and is a must-have item for any collector.”

With captivating ring entrances and looming, omnipresent appeal, The Undertaker is WWE’s longest-tenured current Superstar and holder of several WWE titles throughout his storied 20-year career. He is best known for his unrivaled winning streak at WrestleMania, WWE’s biggest event of the year, where he boasts a 21-0 record. Whether he took on Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior early in his career, aligned in tag team competition with his brother Kane, delivered career-defining matches against WWE Superstar Triple H and WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels or squared off against his most recent WrestleMania opponent CM Punk, The Undertaker is responsible for some of WWE’s most prolific and memorable moments.

Really doesn't give any hints as to what the theme is (or if there is one), but looks nifty, and has a lot more extras than THQ used to do.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2013 at 03:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
30 Years of WrestleMania Mode

quote:

The latest title in the annual WWE video game series will include a new mode allowing players to participate in some of the most memorable matches from the history of Wrestlemania.

Following up on the success of the single-player Attitude Era mode in WWE '13, which focused on the greatest moments from the WWE's acclaimed run in the late '90s, WWE 2K14's single-player mode will expand the amount of history it covers with its new 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode.

In it, players will have the opportunity to play out more than 45 matches from three decades' worth of Wrestlemanias, wrestling's biggest event every year. This idea may sound familiar to those who have followed wrestling games closely in recent years -- WWE Legends of Wrestlemania, released in 2009, also allowed players to take part in many of the prominent matches from Wrestlemanias past. The major difference, aside from being able to pull matches from a few more years of Wrestlemanias, is that 30 Years of Wrestlemania will be played out in the same style of gameplay as the rest of WWE 2K14. Legends of Wrestlemania, on the other hand, had a simpler style of gameplay that relied on quick-time events and a streamlined control scheme.

Only three matches -- Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant at Wrestlemania 3, The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 18, and The Rock vs. John Cena at Wrestlemania 28 -- have been confirmed, but it's easy to identify others -- Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 or 26, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock at Wrestlemania 15, 17, or 19 -- that are likely candidates.

Other matches, like Triple H vs. The Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 12, are easy to rule out, something Paul "Triple H" Levesque himself (who is not only a wrestler, but also an executive with WWE) admitted when presenting the new mode to the media recently. He noted it's the moments that people will never forget from the history of Wrestlemania that are the ones being chosen for 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode.

In order to make these matches possible, some unannounced match types are being added, and the roster will have to include many of the wrestlers from WWE's past. Among those are Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior, and "Macho Man" Randy Savage, with the full complement of legends to be announced this Saturday, August 17, at SummerSlam Axxess, the event preceding this coming Sunday's pay-per-view event.

The inclusion of a large number of legends doesn't come at the expense of members of the current-day roster. Creative director Cory Ledesma described the current roster as being "completely intact." As he puts it, "What this ends up meaning is we have one of the largest rosters ever."

As with the live broadcasts themselves, presentation will play a big role in 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode. It's a point of emphasis for the developers, and players will be able to see era-specific graphic quality (using vintage screen effects, as seen in the Hogan-Andre screenshot above), unique crowds, and recreations of each wrestler's entrance and the venues the matches took place in.

Also helping to immerse players in the moment will be video packages WWE has produced for the game that will play before "several of the matches" to remind players of the storylines that preceded them. And objectives that encourage players to reenact memorable moments from the matches will be available that can, if completed, unlock arenas, championships, photographs from Wrestlemanias, and more.

WWE 2K14, while still being developed by the same team at Yuke's as previous years' games, is the first WWE game being released under the 2K Sports banner since the WWE video game license was acquired by Take Two earlier this year. The game is set to be released on October 29 in North America and November 1 internationally.

Holy shit this sounds awesome! The vintage screen effects in the NBA 2K games are freaking awesome and I can't wait to see them put to use here.

And how fucking smooth is Cory Ledesma to get Vince to sign off on Savage, Warrior, AND Hogan to be in this game?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 8-12-2013 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since its 2K, I have to imagine that, somewhere along the line Jay-Z became involved in the negotiations. He got the Dream Team for 2K, so getting three huge names is a walk in the park.

Edited to add: Reading more on this and hearing this is largest roster ever seems like it would be hyperbole...if it wasn't 2K. 2K actually seems to follow through on things that seem like hyperbole, so, purely roster-related, I'm excited to see how this one plays out. Also curious: are they going to represent every Wrestlemania? If so, that might make for some fun additions to the roster. Off the top of my head, King Kong Bundy (WM 2 headliner) and Sid (WM 13 headliner...if they want to remember anything from that one other than Austin/Hart) would be really cool to play as. If there was ever a time to re-integrate Scott Hall back into WWE lore, Razor Ramon/Shawn Michaels is still one of the highest regarded ladder matches ever, so this would be it (and Jake Roberts has some nice ones, too). And there's Owen Hart to consider, too, since Bret/Owen @ WM10 is one of those "OMG 5 Stars!!" matches the IWC loves (which would make two of those, since Steamboat is almost a guarantee). Lex Luger, Yokozuna, evil Iraqi Sgt. Slaughter, hell, even Paul Orndorf and Mr. T...there's a lot of guys that either haven't been in games before or have been absent for a while that could show up.

Saturday should be fun...or it could be a complete letdown. Probably no in-between.

[Edited on 8-12-2013 by nOOb]

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2013 at 10:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wonder what kind of match types would have to be added for the Wrestlemania mode? I would think ladder, iron man, casket, HITC are already in. I cant think of any WM specific match types, except maybe the hardcore scramble match from 18(?).

They've got to redo the Ladder match from X7.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2013 at 11:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
They've got to redo the Ladder match from X7.

It'd be nice, but considering that half of that match is under contract to TNA I doubt that's gonna happen.

My understanding is that Hogan's only in because in spite of his TNA status, he's under a Legends contract which means they can still use him in games/DVDs/whatever if they want to. I'm certain the Dudleyz aren't and I doubt Jeff Hardy is either.

Piper and Foley are confirmed-but-not-officially through screencaps of crowd signs and t-shirts. I think Bret, Batista, and Yokozuna are solid locks. Lots of rumors still swirling about Bruno, Owen, Goldberg, and Scott Hall (you have to have the HBK-Razor Ramon ladder match, right?).

Also, apparently the roster reveal on Saturday will only be for the legends. I'm fine with that, but the tweens on 2K's forums are losing their shit over having to wait for the current roster reveal. Sorry that you're going to have to wait a little longer to find out which jobbers that are never seen on TV didn't make the game, bros. I'd go ahead and assume everyone current and regularly on TV except for RVD and the Wyatt Family are in, and even RVD and the Wyatts are safe bets for DLC

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top