The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Nintendo E3 Fanboy Wankfest
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-12-2013 at 03:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My Nintendo E3 Fanboy Wankfest

Since the Xbox One thread has kind of morphed into the Microsoft/Sony E3 thread, I thought I'd perform my Nintendo fanboy duty and make a Nintendo one. Some quick screenshots of the stuff shown today:

Super Smash Bros (now with Mega Man):

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

And a few third party titles:

Bayonetta 2

Untitled game by Monolith Software (makers of Xenoblade for Wii)

Sonic Lost World

My random thoughts:

-I was hoping for a glimpse of the new Wii U Zelda, so that's kind of disappointing, but I guess it was never Nintendo's intention to show it today (and we do know they like to take their sweet time with Zelda games). Wind Waker HD and the newly-titled Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (the Link To The Past 3DS sequel) will have to tide me over until then. And if ever there was a game that begged for an HD remake, it's Wind Waker.

-Speaking of disappointment, I can's say I'm super blown away by Super Mario 3D World. Super Mario Galaxy 3 would have been epic on Wii U (or an all-new Mario game for that matter), so a suped-up version of Super Mario 3D Land isn't quite the revelation that would have been. I know it's Mario and Nintendo, so it's not going to suck, but I guess I was hoping for something a little more.

-Mario Kart 8? Sold. I absolutely loved the online play for the Wii version and this should just be an even better version of that. Too bad it's not coming out until 2014.

-Totally sold on the new Donkey Kong Country as well. Retro Studios can do no wrong and the last entry in the DKC series they did kicked ass, so this one should be great.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005
Member Is Online

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-12-2013 at 04:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm really thinking of picking one of these up... well, at least in like a year when the price falls a bit. How do you like it so far? And how is that controller as far as bulkiness, ease of use, etc.?

Oh, and for the record, Wind Waker did NOT need a remake. That game was perfect.

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-12-2013 at 05:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
I'm really thinking of picking one of these up... well, at least in like a year when the price falls a bit. How do you like it so far? And how is that controller as far as bulkiness, ease of use, etc.?

I've really liked the Wii U a lot so far. The problem is that there still aren't many games for it, so there has been stretches where it's just collected dust (my library consists of a whopping three games: Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U, and Madden 13). I think you'd be fine waiting a year to pick one up, especially since most of Nintendo's big first party titles won't be launching until late 2013 and beyond.

As for the controller, once you get used to it, it's fine. It felt a little odd at first just because it is larger than a standard controller, but it's one of those things that I don't even think about now when using it. Plus having the touchscreen really does allow you to do some neat things that aren't possible with a standard controller.

quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
Oh, and for the record, Wind Waker did NOT need a remake. That game was perfect.

It should probably be clarified that Wind Waker HD isn't an outright remake (outside of some minor tweaks), but rather the original game remastered in HD. So it's basically the original Gamecube version, just with a nice, new, shiny coat of paint on it.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005
Member Is Online

posted on 6-12-2013 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I dunno if they're out yet, but I know Deus Ex and Arkham City have versions on the Wii U. I highly recommend both if you're looking to flesh out your library a bit.

And yeah... remaster. That's what I meant. I don't really see the point, but that's just me. They could've just released the original on the virtual store and it would've been fine.

Is everyone mad here?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-13-2013 at 04:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Deus Ex isn't out yet, but Arkham City was a launch title. They had it on sale at Best Buy for $19.99 a few months back and I'm kind of kicking myself for not picking it up then.

And I think the main idea behind the Wind Waker HD re-release is getting to see those cel-shaded graphics in glorious high definition. And since the PS3 has seen a lot of PS2 games redone in HD, I wouldn't mind seeing more Nintendo games get the same treatment (the Metroid Prime series would be great, in my opinion).

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005
Member Is Online

posted on 6-13-2013 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah man, if you see that game for $20 or under again, snap it up... it's well worth it.

Looking at Amazon, it seems like the Wii U is getting more third party love than the Wii did, especially when it comes to some big name releases. Assassin's Creed III, Black Ops 2, Mass Effect 3, Injustice, etc.

Is everyone mad here?

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 6-15-2013 at 03:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This stuff looks pretty good and will make me rethink buying a WII U.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2533
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-15-2013 at 12:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow, this may be the only message board that is optimistic. I frequent a PS4/Xbox fanboy site, it seems. I hate fanboys.

Enjoy all systems.

The Wii U has provided me with a good bit of entertainment, so far. E3 looked sick for Nintendo.

All of the games mentioned above look fantastic.

Mario and Luigi 4
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101

^those will also be on my buy-list

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005
Member Is Online

posted on 6-15-2013 at 07:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's what happens when you have a message board like this one full of adults capable of a mature and intelligent discussion. I'd imagine most video game boards are full of dickhead children posting things like "lmao nintendo sux."

Is everyone mad here?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-16-2013 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's funny, because I think the Wii U is basically going to go through the same cycle that the 3DS went through: pronounced a failure and basically dead in the water less than a year after it's debut, then once Nintendo actually releases it's big titles (which they do like to take their sweet time to do), it's gonna rebound and be okay. You gotta figure that Smash Bros and Mario Kart alone will heavily bump system sales and they haven't even revealed the new Zelda yet (which I'm expecting to be released Christmas 2014 at this point).

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 6-17-2013 at 03:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
lmao nintendo sux

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-18-2013 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why do they insist on releasing a Smash Bros. on each system?

That game sucks cock no matter the system.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-18-2013 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Why do they insist on releasing a Smash Bros. on each system?

That game sucks cock no matter the system.

Smash Bros always sells a shitload of copies (roughly 22 million copies sold worldwide between the three games to date, according to Wikipedia), so it's kind of a no-brainer for Nintendo to keep making them. And I bet you're real excited to know they're releasing different versions on both the Wii U and 3DS this time around.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top