The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XBox One/PlayStation 4
mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 5-23-2013 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
XBox One/PlayStation 4

Looks like nobody is talking about the new X-Box yet, so I'll start it up. Microsoft did a reveal of sorts a couple of days ago. From what I've seen some things sound good, but there is enough that sounds bad to steer me to a PS4. Number one, the good news is that you don't have to always be online to play games. That's good for a guy like me because being out in the UAE, I have broadband, but certain aspects of my cable service have made it impossible so far to get a live account going. There are several others both at home and abroad that still can't play online, so it's with a sigh of relief that the "always on" rumor wasn't true...BUT, it turns out it doesn't matter because you're still screwed. You have to get online to register your new games before you can play them and apparently once per week to update the Box. In essence, if you don't have reliable internet service, then your X-Box is an ugly, black paperweight. So, for those like me--Microsoft has decided that they don't want our money.

"Game registration" has also killed the used games. In this case the Box will allow play of used games, but you must register first and pay a fee to play the game. There isn't a price yet connected with these registration fees, but from what I read it says that you pay "list price". So, that implies that if some sap goes to Gamestop and buys a used disk, he then has to pay wholesale price to register the game! Even worse if you take the disk that you paid "prices unknown at this time" for to a friends house to play some co-op, you had better bring your console too or he will have to pay the registration fee. I'm sure there will be end-arounds, tricksters, and pirates galore and Microsoft has brought that all that on themselves.

No backwards compatibility. To be honest, I rarely play previous generation games on the current gen system, but it's always a good feature to have, and I'm far more likely to pop in an old favorite from time to time on the machine that is already hooked up than I am to dig a separate console out of the closet and play. Once more they will be hurting the used game player and retailer as many people will convert to the next gen and the old gen will fade out.

There were a lot of neat, new high-tech apps and features that the X-Box can do, and in many ways it seems very futuristic and cutting edge. Unfortunately, all of those features will require internet access, and once again for me and the tens of thousands like me that can't count on their cable company for support, it becomes a non-issue. Microsoft is really trying it's hardest to become a center piece in the living room, an all in one console that everyone will want, but it isn't going to work out that way.

In the end I'll probably leave X-Box behind and get back on the PS bandwagon this go round. Next go round? Maybe internet expansion and better cable service will make a machine like X-Box One a viable console for me. Personally, I choose a game system to play games. When I was still in the States, I did love X-Box Live, but that was for playing games with friends and checking out new demos. If I want to run apps I can do that from the computer or a smart phone, if I want to watch movies or tv, then I'll watch movies or tv, and if I want to play video games, I guess I'll be doing that on a PS4 for this generation.

edited title by request

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by Matte]

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-23-2013 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
XBOne!

I like the technology, I don't like the application of it. Like, the emphasis on making TV, gaming, Skype,, and internet all in one, I like the idea and technology behind it all. However, all it's really doing is putting a bunch of stuff that we already have that is very very easy to do, just a tiny bit easier. Control it with your smartphone - yay! You know what? I'll keep my internet on the phone while I watch my TV. Skype? I can do that on my phone, too. Smartglass, I'm sure, can be cool, but the way it was shown in this reveal was pretty dull.

That said, I like that there are instantaneous switches between sources, along with the picture-in-picture panels. I like the interacting with sports broadcasting and fantasy teams. However, I'll bet you anything that the ESPN integration will only work with ESPN's Fantasy Sports leagues, and not Yahoo's.

I like that Kinect has more sensors. But it's not going to make me want to play the games - outside of Dance Central, there's not much on the current Kinect that is cool, and that only lasted a few weeks for me. Also, controlling things like Minority Report seems cool the first 2 or 3 times you do it, but then you'll want to put your arms down and push a button on a remote with your thumb.

Everything I just mentioned has everything to do with it being a TV-and-internet box. So... games?

I hate the DRM and game registration. No more borrowing or trading games with your friends? FUCK. THAT.

Another Call of Duty and more EA Sports. More of the same, but shinier! None of these will be X-Box exclusives, anyway.

To be fair, some say that they kept the game news low in this reveal so they'd have more to reveal at E3. Perhaps...

Regardless, here's the reveal in a nutshell:
http://youtu.be/KbWgUO-Rqcw

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2013 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It seems like the Xbox One is getting a lot of negative buzz around the Internet, but it's hard to tell how much of that is the usual fanboy negativity and how much of that is the system being a legit disappointment. I do know their used game policy sounds pretty iffy at this point and it sounds like if you want to loan a game to a friend, he's not going to be able to play it on his system unless he's using your Xbox Live account (and vice versa).

I personally swore off all Microsoft consoles when I bought a 360 new a few years ago and it was dead out of the box, so I'll be sticking with my current Wii U/Wii/PS3 combo for the time being and will consider getting a PS4 a few years down the road.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-28-2013 at 04:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While several of the points are still TBD, this is kinda funny.

Don't Mess With Texas

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is pretty great.

I was thinking I'd be escaping the whole "you can't play old/traded games on the next-gen system" thing by sticking with my almighty Sony but I heard over the weekend that they're apparently going to be doing the same bullshit.

In short - fuck them both.

[Edited on 5-29-2013 by gobbledygooker]

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

posted on 6-7-2013 at 02:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/microsoft-details-xbox-one-used-games-always-online

The news keeps getting worse. I don't literally have a tear in my eye, but my heart is breaking on the inside. I have always prided myself in being completely immature and never growing up. Remaining a geek for 39 years and counting. Sure, I don't buy nearly as many toys as I used to, most new cartoons don't do it for me--although I willingly admit to enjoying 'My Little Pony', I only read comics that I've pirated...and most of the time I don't feel they are even worth the effort it takes to download, I still like to role play every chance I get, but those chances are few and far between and we all know what a pain in the ass it is to be a wrestling fan, and now my go to hobby, the one that I spend the most money and time with is kicking me out!

Here is the list of problems...

#1. It is confirmed from my earlier post and the reveal that you must connect at least once every 24hrs at home and once an hour if you are playing away from your home console. Translation: If you don't have reliable internet, then Microsoft doesn't want your money

#2. Trade ins and the like will be at the individual game developers option...including having preferred/exclusive retailers where you can trade in if they allow the trade in. Lets say Ubisoft only allows Target to do trade-in...hope you have a Target in your neighborhood.

#3. You can't lend games to friends, nor rent games from companies at this time. You can give your game away...ONCE...and once this friend installs the game, the rights are gone...no give backs, and no further trades. This means buying used games is practically out. Also, once your game stops getting supported online...that disk is going to be worthless.

There are more problems, but you can read the article and watch the video to choose your own outrage. For me, these three things are enough to go PS4...if they do any better. If not there is always WiiU or eventually going PC, but I would rather not. I can't believe that Microsoft (and possibly Sony) wants to alienate and eliminate their own consumers. I shouldn't have to go online to play a single player game on a $500.00 machine even if my ISP was reliable enough to do so. That means I'm being wise by not spending my money...which means I'm growing up...and growing old...I'm no longer in the desired target demographic I guess. Well, I had a good run. Retro games from now on...until the pirates beat the system.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 6-11-2013 at 04:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This was kinda funny

Don't Mess With Texas

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2013 at 01:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Your move Microsoft -

quote:
Sony, however, seized the opportunity to win over consumers—announcing Monday night that the PS4 would cost $399—$100 less than the Xbox One. And undercutting the Xbox One's price was just one of the many shots Sony took at Microsoft at its annual E3 press conference.

To raucous applause, Sony's Jack Tretton also announced that the PS4 would put no restrictions on used games, letting players play used games and lend titles to friends. Additionally, he said, the system will not require any form of Internet connectivity, a direct hit at Xbox One's convoluted online connection requirements.

"If you enjoy playing single player games offline, the PlayStation 4 won't require you to check in online—and it won't stop working if you haven't authenticated within 24 hours," said Tretton, president of Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-11-2013 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah when they announced that, I'm surprised they didn't send a bottle of aloe vera to the Microsoft booth. This is a BIG deal to a lot of people, but I don't see Microsoft changing their policies just because of this. I guess time will tell when sales figures come out.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 6-11-2013 at 05:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PS4 is going to be an immediate buy for me. I've always been a PS guy, and this gen there's not a single reason for me to switch to XBox (I've never been big into online play so I had no issues with the PS network). $399 is also really, really reasonable IMO. I see Microsoft advertising 2 free games a month with a Gold membership too, but hasn't Sony already been doing that with the PS+ membership? I've gotten a bunch of good free games already with mine. With all the negativity towards the XBOne, how is this not going to end with Sony outselling MS 3 to 1?

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

salmonjunkie

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-11-2013 at 05:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like I'll be getting as PS4!

Not right away, probably a year or two after it comes out.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 6-11-2013 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Giant wait and see mode on both.

Happy with the current generation / what I have now.

Nothing in either that is immediate or first 6 mos "must buy".

Have other ways to blow $400+

Only thing that would accelerate a decision nearer term (i.e. within next 2 years) would be death of current console...but heavily discounted current gen would be in the decision mix.

The bigger news for me coming out of yesterday was the return of Star Wars: Battlefront

EDIT: Can someone edit the thread title to be something broader e.g.
Next Gen Consoles
XBOX One vs PS4
News from E3

[Edited on 6-11-2013 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-11-2013 at 06:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm probably gonna wait a while before getting one. There's still some good games coming out this year, not to mention all the games I have sitting on my shelf that I have yet to play. I'll admit though... after watching the trailers for some of the new generation games, I'm pretty excited, because a lot of them look fucking incredible.

Also, I remember the hell it was trying to get systems on launch day before. I'll never go through that shit again.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2013 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Agreed.

Another advantage of living a year, minimum, behind current gaming.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-11-2013 at 09:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think I'm at least 2 years behind. I'll probably end up with the "new sleeker cheaper" PS4 Slim.
mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

posted on 6-12-2013 at 01:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was very pleased to hear that Sony decided not to screw over the gaming public at large...at least for now. I'm almost convinced to buy PS4 at launch on the principle of not giving Microsoft any more of my money, since they don't want it. However, since I am an adult, and I want my wife to nag me as little as possible, I should be able to stick with the 360 for a little while longer. In the end when the new games start getting released, PS4 is the console that I will get behind. I had no problems with PS1 and PS2...I just jumped to Microsoft in the first place because 360 was cheaper.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12823
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-12-2013 at 10:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
sick burn!

[Edited on 6-12-2013 by salmonjunkie]

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 6-12-2013 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Closer to hOOme:

Don't Mess With Texas

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 6-12-2013 at 11:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm very hesitant to commit to the PS4, mainly because the games I play on 360 all had issues on their PS3 counterparts. I don't mind the always on thing with the X-Box, but it is going to make me not buy it on day one (especially because you just know some geek idiots are going to hack X-Box Live to "prove a point").

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 6-14-2013 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My favorite:

[Edited on 6-18-2013 by Matte]

Don't Mess With Texas

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-18-2013 at 06:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how the X-Box One is the device who security nuts are freaking over, while praising the PS4...even though the PSN gave away customer data.

The more of both systems I see, the more I realize I'm done with consoles by anybody except Nintendo, and I may be done with them as well. I just don't need shinier graphics, and the physics engines being ran on current gen consoles are more than enough for some fun.

Mainly price, and lack of offline multiplayer. At this point in my life there are other things I'd rather spend $400 or $500 on. And for the price of a one video game, I can go out and buy a board game like Zombicide which I will get more use out of. And I miss the idea of sitting in front of a TV with friends and playing games. The N64 was my favourite system because of the great times I had playing with 3 other people for hours upon hours. With the current gen, outside of retreads like NBA Jam for the Wii, or Mortal Kombat, I really haven't had a game that recreates that type of gameplay.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-18-2013 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Duh, who has friends they actually SEE anymore?? You don't need to actually, you know, INTERACT in real life when everyone can just say in their dark cavern of a room and play via Internet!

Welcome to the future.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 6-19-2013 at 04:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
I like how the X-Box One is the device who security nuts are freaking over, while praising the PS4...even though the PSN gave away customer data.

The more of both systems I see, the more I realize I'm done with consoles by anybody except Nintendo, and I may be done with them as well. I just don't need shinier graphics, and the physics engines being ran on current gen consoles are more than enough for some fun.

Mainly price, and lack of offline multiplayer. At this point in my life there are other things I'd rather spend $400 or $500 on. And for the price of a one video game, I can go out and buy a board game like Zombicide which I will get more use out of. And I miss the idea of sitting in front of a TV with friends and playing games. The N64 was my favourite system because of the great times I had playing with 3 other people for hours upon hours. With the current gen, outside of retreads like NBA Jam for the Wii, or Mortal Kombat, I really haven't had a game that recreates that type of gameplay.

PSN gave away customer data, or had hackers steal customer data?

Good point about N64 being fun to play with 3 other people. Point would be more valid if I believed you had 3 friends who would sit in the same room as you.

Fuck you BFG.

I had to do it since you seem to love retro shit.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-19-2013 at 04:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bonestein

D'awwwww....after all this time you still care. So cute.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All Those Things That the X-Box Did That We Didn't Want Them to Do? It Doesn't Anymore

They're getting rid of the 24 hour internet check and the "two uses per game" bit

Well, that works. Still don't like the Kinect "always watching" concept, but I suppose that's what paper and tape were created for.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top