The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No seriously, watch this episode of NXT.
JMD
Showstopper

Posts 633
Registered 6-25-2006

Mood: Hardcore Champion!

posted on 4-13-2013 at 07:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No seriously, watch this episode of NXT.

NXT, which is shown on Hulu Stateside (and on an actual network here in Canada, so I hope the link I'm going to give you works but I can't test it myself) has spent the last month or so building up a William Regal/Kassius Ohno feud. It paid off in a great, old school technical battle this week between the two which is well worth a look. The rest of the episode is nothing special, but the main event... fantastic stuff.

For those who can't get on Hulu, the match doesn't seem to be on YouTube but here is one of the promos from last month that set it up...

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 4-13-2013 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
highlights here:

looks like they're working a similar angle to the one he did with ambrose before this. wonderful stuff. Regal needs to replace king on raw (or move jbl over fulltime and let regal do SD).

Capellan
Showstopper

Posts 835
Registered 4-10-2005

Mood: Gaming!

posted on 4-14-2013 at 04:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JMD
The rest of the episode is nothing special

Eh, the 6-man puts the Shield back in people's minds and sets up Rollins vs Graves next week, so it was worth the time. The Divas tag match was a decent little outing, too, and it was nice to see the match called as a match, and not as a pervfest. Good sell on the show in 2 weeks, as well. Maddox vs Langston should be a very enjoyable 30 seconds!

Plus, Emma's interview may well be the greatest thing in the history of wrestling.

Iron Heroes * My RPG Products

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7452
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-14-2013 at 04:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why does WWE still have Superstars? Just get rid of that and put this online. Most people aren't going to pay to watch weekly wrestling.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 4-15-2013 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Why does WWE still have Superstars?

Use the roster who can't get on Raw/Smackdown, and also put at least a certain amount of actual wrestling at TV Tapings if the the show is more promo heavy?

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 4-16-2013 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ohno needs to hit the weights a bit harder. He's got man-boobs and a muffin top.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10888
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 4-16-2013 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Get off the drugs, son, they're not doing you any favours.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 4-16-2013 at 10:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Are you referring to me re: drugs?

Um, look at the video, dude. The guy, while in far better shape than I will ever hope to be, still has a long way to go to get that "WWE look".

That physique might make "Ring of Honor-wanker" criteria, but Vince don't like it.

Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003
Location Darkest Australia

Mood:

posted on 4-17-2013 at 11:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually, he talks quite a bit about that in his Art of Wrestling interview, which is really very much worth a listen (it's under his indie name Chris Hero, and he's a very entertaining and interesting guy - I instantly became much more of a fan of his from listening to it back in the day).
SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1021
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 4-17-2013 at 05:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Why does WWE still have Superstars?

Use the roster who can't get on Raw/Smackdown, and also put at least a certain amount of actual wrestling at TV Tapings if the the show is more promo heavy?

Partly that, and partly because RAW and SD (to a lesser extent) are "premium" shows. WWE needs to produce a couple of cheaper shows for the less well off networks (and viewers) so they still have a way to keep up and to encourage them to invest in the "bigger" shows.

It is insane the NXT isn't avaliable in the US anywhere - its on before RAW here in the UK (and repeated several times during the week) and is very possibly why I tend to be more positive than most in my RAW reviews - NXT is by far the most entertaining hour (well, 40 minutes) WWE produces each week.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4412
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 4-29-2013 at 03:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also think highly of NXT, but like the rest of my indy/intl viewing, I don't consider it an actual replacement product for WWE. It's less about giving in to suspension of disbelief and getting caught up in stories/wins/losses, and more about "scouting," if that makes sense.

That said, it's always the freshest hour of wrestling on "TV" every week, and it adds to my smug sense of superiority when it comes to being omniscient about all things wrestling.

So I thought I'd bump this thread because this week's show (which I just watched) was NXT's revival of Clash of the Champions (in so far as all the matches were title matches). Three of the four titles defended were WWE titles, which has the added effect of making this an easy "starter episode" for anyone who doesn't consider themselves a wanker. This is at least twice as much recognizable WWE talent than NXT usually has on any given week...

Cesaro vs. PAC/Neville (taped before Cesaro lost the US Title)
Big E. Langston is "in action" (you get to see him as a babyface, which is illuminating)
Kaitlyn vs. AJ
Barrett vs. Bo Dallas (finally paying off that HUGE angle from the Rumble~!)

If you have the Hulu Plus, look it up.

If you don't, here, use this (make sure you have some decent pop-up/ad-blocking plug-ins, just in case; I have strong defenses, and this site doesn't give me trouble, but your mileage may vary):

http://www.nowvideo.eu/video/u0xqoew4lmb3x

You're welcome....

Rick

[Edited on 4-29-2013 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4412
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 5-5-2013 at 05:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not sure if it means anything, and not sure where else to put it so:

The RAW house show tonight had a bunch of NXT folks.

Both Adrian Neville (PAC) and Bray Wyatt (Husky Harris) won singles matches (over Slater and Riley, respectively), while Emma and Paige were both brought in to flesh out a 6-woman tag match.

Adjust your WWE Fantasy Teams accordingly.... Wyatt's been ready for a while, but was hamstrung by injury. Neville is twice as deserving of a fast-track as Sin Cara was, except for the fact that he's not pre-famous, and inisists on sporting The Ben Franklin (which is what people called my hairstyle for the last year or two before I just shaved it off). You should probably like Emma and Paige a lot, too; probably one more than the other, depending on your tolerance of emo albinos.... but hey, that's your business; they're both actually very good.

Now, if only Junior Steamboat's spine would quick being a bitch so he could get healthy and finally debut....

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 5-5-2013 at 07:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Not sure if it means anything, and not sure where else to put it so:

The RAW house show tonight had a bunch of NXT folks.

Both Adrian Neville (PAC) and Bray Wyatt (Husky Harris) won singles matches (over Slater and Riley, respectively), while Emma and Paige were both brought in to flesh out a 6-woman tag match.

Adjust your WWE Fantasy Teams accordingly.... Wyatt's been ready for a while, but was hamstrung by injury. Neville is twice as deserving of a fast-track as Sin Cara was, except for the fact that he's not pre-famous, and inisists on sporting The Ben Franklin (which is what people called my hairstyle for the last year or two before I just shaved it off). You should probably like Emma and Paige a lot, too; probably one more than the other, depending on your tolerance of emo albinos.... but hey, that's your business; they're both actually very good.

Now, if only Junior Steamboat's spine would quick being a bitch so he could get healthy and finally debut....

Rick

will be interesting to see if we get the bray wyatt gimmick from sometime ago.

SpiNNeR72
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1021
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 5-10-2013 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just finished watching this weeks NXT, and man the Wyatt Family is awesome!

I really, really hope they keep the tag titles on Hell No until the Wyatts debut and destroy them, it would be a perfect debut.

Then they also have a ready-made 3 man feud with the Shield to go to, it would make all the sense in the world for the Wyatt's to be the first to beat the Shield, and be the thorn in their side for possibly years to come.

I know I'm fantasy booking, but seriously, check this weeks show out if you haven't seen them.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1084
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-23-2013 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good time to bump this thread...this week's ep features Sami Zayn(El Generico) vs. Antonio Cesaro and I'm sure it'll be worth a look. Plan to download as soon as I get home from work.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12752
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 5-23-2013 at 07:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hope Sami Zayn doesn't come off as too.... generic.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
vonLampertheim
Fella

Posts 416
Registered 4-8-2013
Location Melbourne, Australia

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2013 at 09:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
Just finished watching this weeks NXT, and man the Wyatt Family is awesome!

I really, really hope they keep the tag titles on Hell No until the Wyatts debut and destroy them, it would be a perfect debut.

Then they also have a ready-made 3 man feud with the Shield to go to, it would make all the sense in the world for the Wyatt's to be the first to beat the Shield, and be the thorn in their side for possibly years to come.

I know I'm fantasy booking, but seriously, check this weeks show out if you haven't seen them.

I completely agree. The Bray Wyatt character is my favourite in NXT he has the chance to be everything Waylon Mercy should have been. My only hope is that them getting NXT gold doesn't slow down their ascension to the main roster.

I'm lucky to get NXT on TV here in Australia, but if you're in the US, it is definitely worth the weekly download to check out the farm system. They are no longer running it as a reality show competition but as its own small fed. Tapings have the feel of the old 6:05pm TBS Saturday night wrestling program in a small studio, but updated with modern day 2013 production values and a slightly bigger crowd. In the past couple of weeks, Jericho, Sandow, and Cesaro have all wrestled very entertaining matches against the NXT talent. Oftentimes, it is the best WWE program of the week.

mishkin
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 17
Registered 1-16-2013
Location Brisbane, Australia

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2013 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great show this week. Zayn was fantastic (really the focus of the first half of the show). Unfortunately Mason Ryan then came out and provided a few minutes of floating turds. That was quickly forgotten about with Bray Wyatt vs Corey Graves. Really excited about these two guys. Both have great characters and hopefully we'll see them soon on the main roster. Check the show out if you haven't had a chance!
vonLampertheim
Fella

Posts 416
Registered 4-8-2013
Location Melbourne, Australia

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2013 at 01:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mishkin
Great show this week. Zayn was fantastic (really the focus of the first half of the show). Unfortunately Mason Ryan then came out and provided a few minutes of floating turds. That was quickly forgotten about with Bray Wyatt vs Corey Graves. Really excited about these two guys. Both have great characters and hopefully we'll see them soon on the main roster. Check the show out if you haven't had a chance!

Indeed, Zayn looked great and needs to smooth out the rough edges (like attacking and coming off the ropes). Sweet springboard tornado DDT finisher, too.

I just read where Big E drops the title to Bo Dallas. Two immediate thoughts:

1) I hope this signifies Big E's permanent call up to the bigs. If E can separate himself from Zigger, he and Adrian Neville would make a great "thunder and lightning" tag team.
2) Bo Dallas has never done anything for me. He seems like a generic high energy baby face cut from Marty Janetty's jib. I hope he's a transitional champion to someone with more gravitas.

[Edited on 24-5-13 by vonLampertheim]

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 5-25-2013 at 06:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All of the former Generico stuff was very solid. The main event was pretty good as well.

That being said, Enzo Amore's promo was either really bad or really good. Bada boom, the realest guy in the room was such a dumb catch phrase but I've actually said ever since I watched the show.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1084
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 5-25-2013 at 08:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Regal's reaction to Amore's promo was golden: Wondering if he was a lovechild of DDP.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
mishkin

Posts 17
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good episode this week. Wyatt family vs Graves/Ohno was sweet, Paige was big time over as always, and BO got booed which I am so very happy about. So the question coming out of this ep, do we have a new Ascension?
mishkin

Posts 17
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
EDIT: Double post fail!

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by mishkin]

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1084
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 6-14-2013 at 02:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Obviously the main news from this week's NXT was Bo Dallas defeating Big E Langston for the title(through indirect use of an exposed turnbuckle), but definitely check out Sami Zayn vs. Antonio Cesaro II. Good stuff.

-PB

drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 6-14-2013 at 02:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT is easily become my favorite wrestling show each week. I'm digging the completely improbable characters. I loved this week when the guy with the totally ridiculous French accent and unbuttoned tiger print shirt came out to introduce his new tag team, and the tag team ends up being two rednecks— one carrying a Maglite and the other a bottle of BBQ sauce— who he discovered fighting in the parking lot at the CMAs. Any other duo, up to and including two women in burqas, would have made more sense, but somehow this was just perfect. And then there was the girl who acted like a shy 14 year old and wanted to play robots with the announcer. It's a brilliant undercard they have there. Plus the top of the card is pretty great. Plenty has been said about Bray Wyatt and no doubt he deserves that praise and more; but Bo Dallas has that "Blue Chipper" Rocky Maivia heat going for him, and if he plays it right it he might just make a career of it, too.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top