The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Poll: Pre-Wrestlemania Thread + Are you going to watch?
Yes I am purchasing the PPV 25 (0%) -»
Friend is purchasing and I am watching there 5 (0%) -»
Going to a bar or other establishment that is showing it 0 (0%) -»
Watching it via nefarious means 28 (0%) -»
Sometimes get it or watch but not this year 9 (0%) -»
Never watch and not changing this year 10 (0%) -»
It will be a gameday decision 4 (0%) -»
Mabey 10 (0%) -»
Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre-Wrestlemania Thread + Are you going to watch?
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pre-Wrestlemania Thread + Are you going to watch?

In year(s) prior we had both pre-Wrestlemania threads and Wrestlemania thread, so starting the pre-one to maybe consolidate discussion on the PPV into one place.

Also, going to run it as a poll re: intent to watch or purchase.

Confirmed matches:

WWE Title: The Rock vs. Cena
World Title: Del Rio vs. Swagger
Tag Titles: Hell No vs. Ziggler/Langston
No Holds Barred + Retirement Stip: HHH vs. Brock
Streak: Undertaker vs. Punk
6 Man Tag: Sheamus/Orton/Show vs. Shield
Ryback vs. Henry

Rumored/Potential:
Jericho vs. Fandando
Brodus/Tensai/Funkadactyls vs. Rhodes/Sandow/Bellas

Open:
IC and US Titles or titleholders e.g. Barrett/Miz
Divas title/other Divas

I'm definitely getting the PPV...only because I always do and have friends over (salmonjunkie is coming over for it). I can't say I'm overly excited about it this year though.

Big questionmarks to me are:

1) Does Ziggler cash in?
2) Does Orton turn heel?

Don't Mess With Texas

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 3-21-2013 at 05:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
I can't say I'm overly excited about it this year though.

Same. I'm only getting it because I always get Wrestlemania, but the card doesn't excite me much at all. I was really hoping for an awesome midcard match to be added, so it could be the Savage/Steamboat of this year, but it looks like the chances of that happening are nil.

[Edited on 3-21-2013 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Going. So the decision has been made well in advance.

There's a big difference in excitement for what it looks like live than probably the card at home, though I think when you separate the schema of these matches, it'll be damn exciting to see Punk vs. Undertaker no matter where you are once it's happening.

The Shield will be awesome to see live and I can't imagine no-holds-barred with HHH-Brock not being good. The only bad HHH match I've seen live was HHH-Booker, so I have expectations they'll bring it.

Hell No vs. Ziggler/Langston will be fun and there's that .001% chance he cashes in (he should, the Swagger storyline isn't working anymore), so that's there.

And live again, it'll be fun to see the whole Jericho presentation, and see him one last time. I'm still hoping they make a triple threat ladder match for the IC after all this is done being booked.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It will be gametime for me... I only have purchased 1 WM ever and the pricetag is a little high for me to convince the wife to go along with it.

But we will catch a little RAW over the next few weeks and see if anything catches our interest enough to make the purchase.

quote:

(salmonjunkie is coming over for it).

pics or it didn't happen.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
It will be gametime for me... I only have purchased 1 WM ever and the pricetag is a little high for me to convince the wife to go along with it.

And yet you spent $400 on whatever that nerd thing was.

Don't Mess With Texas

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I spent $400 on diamond earrings... she spent less on the Bat'lath.

Its a material question. The earrings and Bat'lath are things I have and can hold. A PPV is fleeting and may not be worth $60 to me, where the other things were worth the price.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gametime decision for me. As with the last few years, I'm less-than-enthused. Yet, I ended up ordering it (Goon and I split the cost so that helps). However, my enthusiasm is WAAAAAY down this year, even compared to past years so it may not happen.

If I do order it, it will be for the following reasons -

Taker/Punk

Rock/Cena (I suppose)

Possibility of crowd shitting all over Swagger/Del Rio

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The crowd is more likely to shit on Cena/Rock and that's the only reason I'd ever consider paying for the show. But if WWE doesn't care to put a product worth money out there I don't care enough to watch it legally.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12840
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 3-21-2013 at 08:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike

quote:

(salmonjunkie is coming).

it will happen.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That never gets old.

Yeah, the more I'm thinking about, the crowd may be the main drawing point for this show. I'm hoping for "Madison Square Garden shitting all over Brock-Goldberg at Wrestlemania XX" x 10.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003
Location Darkest Australia

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 09:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This lineup of matches is not worth the money to buy it, the bandwidth to steal it, or my time to watch it.
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2013 at 11:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going and I'm psyched, even though I'm not getting my HITC match

I'm still hoping for a ladder match and/or Cesaro getting 10 minutes with Sin Cara or someone of that ilk.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

Big Bank Hank
Fella

Posts 343
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood: I paid my taxes

posted on 3-22-2013 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm ordering it, but I do every year, so that's not an indication that I'm *that* excited about the show.

I'm not as underwhelmed as others, I think we may end up pleasantly surprised.

"Might be pleasantly surprised" is not anything that should ever be said about Mania. It should be "I'm fucking GEEKED for this show" followed by "that lived up to my expectations", or more likely "Wow what a disappointment."

The most frustrating part about the lack of big time feel this year is the immense talent and star power at the WWE's disposal, yet this is the crap we're served up.

I'm sick of Rock Cena, I'm sick of HHH Lesnar. They could have done more with Punk then hamstring him with a foregone conclusion. (To his credit, he's making a go of it, and I'm sure the match will be tremendous)

So yeah, I'm ordering it, but I would regardless. We treat it like the Superbowl in my house, so its fun no matter what.

It's just icing on the cake if the WWE delivers something memorable.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10983
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 3-22-2013 at 04:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Like to order (but can't afford it this year) because if the long overdue return of Heel Cena is ever going to happen it'll be at this Mania where, win or lose, he finally snaps and beats Rock half to death at the end of the match.

[Edited on 3/22/2013 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

Crofty
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 24
Registered 6-23-2009
Location Norway

Mood:

posted on 3-22-2013 at 12:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I lurk more than I actually post, but yeah I'm also going this year and am pretty stoked for my first live Wrestlemania.

You can complain about WWE carting out the oldies all you like, but there's no doubt that the card is filled with star power when you're talking about the likes of Rock, Cena, Taker, Punk, HHH, Brock and probably Jericho. Should also be some solid wrestling from the likes of Bryan, Ziggler, Shield and Sheamus. I'm looking forward to the crowd shitting all over Ryback, not so much to total apathy regarding Swagger/Del Rio.

The only thing I'm really missing is some fun stipulations to make the show more memorable. Sure we've got the HHH/Brock match being no holds barred, but at least one more is needed and preferably with ladders. A good number of my best memories of Wrestlemania include stips that give us big spots, the type that are shown over and over again in replays and video packages. Whether it involved Foley, the Hardys/E&C, HBK/Razor, MitB or whatever, those crazy matches are just plain fun and gave us memories and incidents that we still talk about to this day. It would be great if they added a ladder match to unify the Intercontinental/US titles or something, though I can't see it happening.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-22-2013 at 06:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Like to order (but can't afford it this year) because if the long overdue return of Heel Cena is ever going to happen it'll be at this Mania where, win or lose, he finally snaps and beats Rock half to death at the end of the match.

You know, there's a part of my brain really fucking hoping something like that happens as well, a la Austin going heel on the Rock and teaming up with McMahon. If they went through with Cena going heel all up on the Rock's ass, on that big of a stage, I think it would almost rival Hogan's heel turn to the nWo.

[Edited on 3-22-2013 by gobbledygooker]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-22-2013 at 06:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The two main things selling me on the show this year are Punk/Taker and seeing what the crowd reaction will be for the matches. A WrestleMania crowd is usually smarky enough, but one in the NY/NJ area should just up the ante even more so. I can totally see faces like Sheamus, Orton, and Ryback getting booed in their matches.

I'll also say that I think Triple H/Brock has the potential to be a nice, brutal affair.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Scorpion
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-16-2013
Location Parts Unknown

Mood:

posted on 3-23-2013 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My prediction is that it's such a forgone conclusion that Cena is winning that The Rock is cheered like Hogan in Toronto.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-24-2013 at 03:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I'll also say that I think Triple H/Brock has the potential to be a nice, brutal affair.

I actually have pretty big expectations that this one will be a very attitude era brutal match... two years running now HHH has busted out something that for the rest of the roster has been considered off limits... like in the match 2 years ago a chair shot to the head, and I think last year we got a pile driver (?), which has now since been repeated by Punk-Cena. On Brock's side of the fence him and Cena very clearly broke the no blood rule during their PPV match last year, and that gusher he did during Raw a few weeks ago was likely a blade job.

The whole stipulation build up was kind of a deafening thud in my opinion as you knew these two weren't settling things wtih a pillow fight, but there's enough back story, reason to dislike one another, and since they've only had one go around in the past it's still pretty fresh... So yeah, I'm excited about this one.

The card as a whole?

There's not really any one matc on there that feels must see, but I do think it is a solid enough card... Rock and Cena will be big... yeah it's three years running, but it's also a pretty epic fight and they've kept these two physically apart enough that seeing them beat on one another is still fresh, even if the story and talk back and forth isn't (although kudos to the WWE for using Cena's divorce as part of this... I added to the whole worst year ever feel).

Punk and Taker... Man, I know the slow plodding walk is meant to be part of Taker's character, but it's starting to look more and more like he's just broken down and even walking is a pain for him. I'm guessing he'll be nicely pain-killered up for the match and it should be good, but this is probably going to be one of the last years I think he should be out there, as he's gotten to be too much of trotted out attraction (seriously, this past week I think is the first time he has even spoken live in the last three years, and even that was brief...)... I'd maybe have him do one more so he can retire in his home state with WM being in Texas next year, but otherwise time to go dude. Could Punk pull off the win... ? No, but the DQ and coutout lines were kinda interesting so i could see Punk doing something where he could still claim some kind of victory out of it.

Everything else... fun, but nothing of real consequence storyline wise, but that does seem to be the case more and more with WM... that it kinda stands on it's own.

So I'll see it and I'm excited to do so, but I'll probably either pilfer it via the net, or depending on cost catch it at my local movie theatre on the cheap.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 3-24-2013 at 04:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A big reason why this year feels like a total thud to me is the glut of part timers who are in all the top matches. I'd mentioned it in another thread, but four of the six guys in the top three matches have had a total of like, eight matches in the past year.

I get why they did Rock vs. Cena last year... it was the two biggest stars from their respective eras with a year (although not really) of build up. But this year, what's the point? Last year's match wasn't anything overly special, but at least it had the benefit of having the outcome totally up in the air. I guess it'll be nice for the Rock to show up and have a match, though. I mean, he's only the WWE Champion. He's been the champ for two months now, and in that time, he's had one match. One!

They pump Taker full of horse tranquilizers for another year, and he wins over Punk. Next.

And I really don't get why they bothered to bring back Lesnar. Apparently it was so they could pay him a bunch of money so he could have three matches per year... 2/3 of which are against a nearly-retired executive.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-24-2013 at 05:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To my understanding Lesnar has a new deal in place with a lot more dates on it... something a little more akin to an HBK style tv deal, with maybe a few more breaks in it...

I think this is why I got so excited by the idea that I think Rick floated out there about a kind of COO job being on the line as the stip', and how having Vince and Heyman on either side played into this really well... Which kinda made the sip we got that much more blah'.

Either way, I'm actually expecting Brock to win this one, and that it could be a pretty good launch pad to a decent 2013-2014 for him as a monster heel... Cena and him could do for another go around, and the title in the mix doesn't hurt, otherwise Lesnar taking on the likes of Punk or Daniel Bryan... (although a Ryback might be more likely, but still from a two big guys fighting one another it could be worse), or even something random like a face Seth Rollins.

If he doesn't win...?

Well then he's not such a monster heel unless he's picking on retired guys, or 67 year old guys... Beating HHH twice kinda changes that.

montecarl
And I am AWESOME

Posts 102
Registered 10-10-2006
Location Saginaw, MI

Mood:

posted on 3-26-2013 at 08:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After a discussion with a friend about WrestleMania, we've figured that WrestleMania isn't for us anymore. It isn't for the long time fans who watch every single week. It isn't for the hardcores. It's for the people who tune in only once a year to watch BECAUSE it's WrestleMania.

It's like me with the SuperBowl. I don't watch football. I have no idea who any of the players are. I know nothing about any other great games somebody may have had or a great season a quarterback might be having. None of that means anything to me going in. I watch the game because it's the SuperBowl. It's basically the only time all year I'll watch football. Unfortunately for us, that's what I think WWE sees WrestleMania as and those are the people they build the show for.

These are the people who know The Rock and The Undertaker and HHH and maybe even John Cena, so those guys are all in prominent positions. Sure, they try to get them hooked so they stay and watch RAW the next night. They'll try to build up new guys at the show so when they watch again next year and that guy is (hopefully) up the card a big more, they'll remember him from last year. But realistically, these people will watch this one time a year and not watch again until next year. That sucks for us as "full timers", but that's the reality of it.

However, as shitty as the build itself has been for this year's show, look at the matches themselves. Look at the guys involved. I think most of the matches will deliver in the ring and it will be an exciting night. UT and Punk certainly can go. HHH and Brock will have a hell of a brawl. Cena/Rock, even if it's not GREAT in the ring, I think will be really interesting for the dynamic and how the crowd reacts. Hell, even Fandango and Jericho will likely have a decent match. I don't think they'll ALL be winners (not expecting anything great from del Rio/Swagger), but overall it will be a good show.

Then, when it's over, those "once a year players" will walk away laughing and having had a good time watching "that fake rasslin shit", and then next month at Extreme Rules, it's back to us hardcores. Look at Backlash/Extreme Rules for the last few years. I think it's surpassed Mania in many ways more often than not. We just have to redefine how we look at WrestleMania. Sure, at one point it WAS the culmination of long programs and the pinnacle of the year, but that stopped once they found out they can fill 60-90,000 seat arenas and get huge buy-rates once a year from casual fans.

We just have to come to terms with the fact that WrestleMania just isn't for us anymore.

--Monte N
http://www.FunTBC.com

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   montecarl 's Aim
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-26-2013 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can I change my vote from "Gametime decision" to "Sometimes get it or watch but not this year"?

Even though for me "Usually get it and watch it but not this year" would be more accurate. I tried to stick with it but I just can't overcome this level of "Meh."

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 3-26-2013 at 09:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NO YOU EARLIER VOTE COMMITS YOU TO PURCHASING TEH WRESTLEMANIA PAYPERVIEWS ON YOUR TEEVEE

Don't Mess With Texas

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-27-2013 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think at this point I'd rather stare at a pic of goatse for 4 hours.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top