The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No New Members Since March
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7897
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 7-18-2012 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No New Members Since March

Last one was this guy . Last active in 1970 too BTW.

Looks like even the French spammer guy gave up on us. Are we going extinct or something? Is this the eerily calm moment before the asteroid hits us, as old-school forums that require some semblance of writing ability steadily lose out to the hypnotic 140-character attraction Twitter holds over Generation Derp? Help us!

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3737
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: The Time is Right

posted on 7-18-2012 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I grew tired of having to go in and delete dozens of spam/bot accounts every few days, so I've had registration turned off.

Actually, I first made one of my annual attempts to upgrade the forums software (which would also solve the bot problem), which crashed everything and resulted in that 3-4 day outage in the week before WrestleMania. Then I got everything restored from a back-up, wiped the sweat off my brow, let out a sigh of relief that nothing was permanently lost, and turned off registration as the lazy man's way out.

How badly do you want fresh meat?

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TexShark300
The Rowdy One

Posts 2246
Registered 12-7-2005
Location West Texas

Mood: I Will Do Better

posted on 7-25-2012 at 05:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know the OOWF'ers are the red-headed stepchildren of the Forums, but I am sure we've lost at least one new member recently due to registration being off.

I have been actively trying to recruit members, so please, turn it back on.

OOWF Historian

Life is about choices. You can choose to have a Good Attitude or you can choose to have a Bad Attitude.
- Msgt Hal D. Aaron
1953-2007

House watches TNA. He goes bowling. I Knew I liked that show for a reason.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   TexShark300 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 7-25-2012 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why did you have to go and insult red headed stepchildren like that?

Don't Mess With Texas

TexShark300
The Rowdy One

Posts 2246
Registered 12-7-2005
Location West Texas

Mood: I Will Do Better

posted on 7-25-2012 at 06:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're right. I'm sorry.

replace "Red-Headed stepchildren" with "Guys named Tex who live in Washington"

OOWF Historian

Life is about choices. You can choose to have a Good Attitude or you can choose to have a Bad Attitude.
- Msgt Hal D. Aaron
1953-2007

House watches TNA. He goes bowling. I Knew I liked that show for a reason.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   TexShark300 's Yahoo
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7333
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2012 at 03:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Has new registration been turned on yet? Like Shark said, it may not be a focal point of the board but it has been here since the beginning basically and the OOWF could really use new members.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.

Posts 2284
Registered 4-29-2008

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 8-10-2012 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Has new registration been turned on yet? Like Shark said, it may not be a focal point of the board but it has been here since the beginning basically

"A 14-year-old is an 18-year-old, basically."

Realistically speaking, there is no way for you to prove that I am not Batman.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7333
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2012 at 06:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sometimes I forget how hilarious you are.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3289
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-13-2012 at 08:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To be fair, I know it seemed like something new and additional to a community that's well established at the time it started, but referring to something that's 8 years old on a 10 year old board as basically from the beginning isn't the biggest stretch in the world.

sure, probably 80% of the running gags on this board were created in that short pre-oowf period, so that time is significant. But it still is a short period in the grand scheme of things none the less.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7333
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-26-2012 at 04:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Has registration been turned on yet?
wyattcox
Fella

Posts 490
Registered 11-18-2006
Location East Ely, NV

Mood: The Millions....

posted on 8-31-2012 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I referred to OO the other day on American Sunrise, and I got a couple of nasty emails from people saying they were interested, but they thought it was some kind of exclusive club since they couldn't register. I wasn't even aware registration had been turned off. Is this permanent?

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition....

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wyattcox 's Yahoo
firewoman
The Rowdy One

Posts 2048
Registered 2-17-2006
Location columbus, oh

Mood: witchy

posted on 8-31-2012 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually, there's been 2. One that PM-ed Sharky at the archive site, and then Ravenna, who can't remember her login and tried to pick a new one and couldn't.

(Yes I told her she can't vote twice on things)

So...when abouts is that happening?

resident sorceress and necromancer in training.

[DevSop] god your sex life scares me

MHJ: "if it is kinky, depraved, erotic, or a fetish, you will find it"

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   firewoman 's Aim   firewoman 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

posted on 8-31-2012 at 09:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Making the Case for Turning Back on Registration

In no particular order:

Wrestling dialogue had died down. Lots of drivers there. The overall product. Some of the more vocal players in the "wwe sucks no tna sucks no you're a f a n b o i no you are" have stepped back back or down or away in general. "Formerly new" folks who had become regular contributors have stepped away. Etc etc. Net net though is less regular dialogue going on than there was a year ago (artificial point in time for comparison). Turning on registration would enable new blood to come in and contribute. Plus, fresh meat

People are out there and visiting the bOOards. Look at the SummerSlam thread. Over 30k reads. Raw threads are getting over 10k. People are looking at stuff, and I've got to believe some of them would register and post if they could.

The silly OOWF thing. I'm in the camp that thinks that's just frankly one of the silliest things out there. I've made fun of it. I've terrorized it under the OOVF account. But people genuinely like the thing and this is a place they do it.

And on the notion of fake accounts, I promise that I will not use the registration feature to create fake accounts to use in showdown voting. Oh who am I kidding - Matte is never going to get around to doing that anyhow so it's a moot point.

But speaking of Matte, if cleanup of the spambot shit is a problem, make the other admins/mods do it. There was a time when there were a squad of them and they had actual responsibilities that came with their ability to abuse powers. Put those fuckers to work!

EDIT: If it does happen, I will miss seeing testes as the most recent registrant though.
EDIT2: Not trying to stir debate or arguments on the above or the "why" behind them. I typed this fast and this wasn't meant to be an exhuastive identification of drivers and quantification against them. Just a "hey lots of reasons to open up and potential solutions against things that might be roadblocks".

[Edited on 8-31-2012 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11920
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 8-31-2012 at 09:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

How badly do you want fresh meat?

[Edited on 8-31-2012 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10064
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it's obvious opening registration is the right choice, but if I may play devil's advocate a bit...

Making the Case for Leaving Registration Locked

The more people we have registering and attempting to post, especially on Monday nights and PPV Sundays, the more broken the boards will become. It's already an aggravating issue that looks like it's here to stay, and increasing the traffic would, I assume, only increase the lag. Or maybe the lag and board issues are unrelated to traffic and post attempts, but it certainly doesn't seem that way. So while you would assume that more people plus more posts equals more fun, you may learn that more people plus more timeouts equals no OO. Either that, or a fuckload of double/triple/quadruple posts.

The silly OOWF thing should no longer be an issue, for now at least. Since Rick seems to have turned his nose to this for the time being, while potential OOWFers have been actively attempting to join in on the fun, OOWF management has made the decision to leave OO in favor of the open-registration, non-timeout issue carrying Pun's House board. Which means, as of now, this board has lost one of its few unique and appealing attractions outside of pure wrestling discussion.

And since williams mentioned it, I wouldn't mind adding spambot cleanup to my list of mod duties, which currently consists of pinning the TNA threads to the top of the main forum every week. Though, I also wouldn't mind not doing it, and leaving that job to one of the actual admins who I assume already have the power to do that... Are there even any admins left?

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

Ultimate Finishing Move Showdown

mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1134
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 9-2-2012 at 02:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
OOWF management has made the decision to leave OO

Whoohoo! Good riddance! My domination of the fantasy board is now complete!

quote:
Are there even any admins left?

They're off hosting their annual Hammerskins convention.

http://www.hammerskins.net/

Join the amazing world of Mash-Up Wrestling!

BROKEN CITY CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING is back...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wyattcox
Fella

Posts 490
Registered 11-18-2006
Location East Ely, NV

posted on 9-3-2012 at 01:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just a few observations:

Matte may be right that there might be less -- or no -- interaction if new fans came on board. I know there is important history here in some places...well, important to someone...but this software is badly broken, and the organization that created it more so (click the bottom of the page links to the XMB Group and find out the real story there), so there will not ever be a fix to the lag problems. Ever. With this software.

Williamssl, I get where you're coming from with the OOWF. I found it delightful, have followed it for two years and actively began participating in the last six months. For me it's a great outlet and a good creative writing outlet. You find it silly. I find the multi-million dollar Fantasy Football/Baseball/Basketball industry deadly boring. Different strokes.

I remember the days of page upon page of commentary on weekly shows and dozens of pages on events and happenings. When you can't get three good pages of insight on events, then there is a problem, and not all of it is here. The industry is in another cyclical downturn. BUT, when it comes back, will OO even be on the radar?

When I worked the original American Sunrise back in 1991 and it's successor Morning In America (which ended in 1996 - long before Bill Bennett and Salem Radio took the name) we were on as many as 212 radio stations. Today we scrape by on a few dozen, mostly Internet operations. That doesn't mean we don't have listeners, a bunch of them, who stream the show on demand from our web site. Times changed. When the next surge in professional wrestling hits, will anyone tune here, or will it be on to the next great web site. OR...something different?

Time will tell.

(PS: Mastermind? )

(PPS: Rick? Asia says hi, but she still won't do "that thing" for you. )

[Edited on 9/3/2012 by wyattcox]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wyattcox 's Yahoo
OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3737
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: The Time is Right

posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We need to work on our communication skillz, people.

I actually gave up on fixing the real problem (upgrading the software) almost a month ago. I decided putting my energy into my brother's wedding was a better idea, so I just turned on new registration.

Of course, this didn't change the fact that nobody could register. Still. I didn't find out until yesterday, when somebody emailed me, and asked why they were getting an error message when trying to sign up, and it WASN'T the "registration is turned off" message.

Anyway, it turns out there was a whole other problem (likely caused by my dicking around in either March or July), and people couldn't sign up even with registration turned on. I might have been informed of this sooner... three weeks of angsty kvetching in this thread is no way to alert me to a new problem, people!

Anyway, the upshot is: I figured out what the new problem was and fixed it earlier today. Registration is still turned on, and I will keep it as such. And it works. I tested it. Twice.

Despite the bit of Devil's Advocate, there is (and never was) a really good reason for registration to be off, other than my own laziness. I hate deleting all the SPAMbot crap, and I thought I'd use this as motivation to actually, really, once and for all deal with the root problem (the old software), except that turned out to be even harder than dealing with SPAMbots. So I left registration off for 4 months without really thinking about it. Then it came up again in July, I made a token effort at upgrading, failed, and turned registration on. That's when "duplicate entry in key 1" became the problem, unbeknownst to me.

To the OOWF, I apologize if any of this crimped your style or drove you off or whatever. I hope there's no ill will, as the past 5 months of no registrations has probably hurt the level of wrestling discourse as much as it hurt you. It's not like I was exactly pleased with it, either.

And to Wyatt, I appreciate your thoughts on the bigger picture, but trust me: I'm extremely self-aware of such things. I could prattle on for thousands of words about the "wrestling website" business, past, present, and future, and my place in it... but I won't on the grounds that it'd only be interesting to me and about 6 other people.

Anyway: enjoy your fresh meat.

Rick

wyattcox
Fella

Posts 490
Registered 11-18-2006
Location East Ely, NV

posted on 9-9-2012 at 05:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rick:

I understand the softwarez issue, trust me.

As one who has been with you since the "NFD" Days (read a repost I made recently in the Retro threads) I understand the evolution as well as any older fans.

From Usenet Newsgroups to 1-900 wrestling hotlines to the Web to Message Boards, now the evolution to Titter and Trout, or is it Twitter and Tout, the casual fan has tons more options than we did in the "OMG, is Heenan really showing up with the NWA Belt on Superstars?" days. More ways to interact, fewer casual and hardcore fans.

And honestly, what I write about on this board has less people interested than your views on the Wrestling Website business. Trust me.

All The Best

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3289
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-10-2012 at 02:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ha! Just shy of 100 new members just this morning. Someone's about to have a lot of spambot fun.

I like the ones that list a full address as their location.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

posted on 9-10-2012 at 04:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stupid but real question.....how does this spambot shit even work to get around the additive steps that seemingly should prevent this? Also were these things just running continuously even when reg was off and/or not working? Seems like had to have been. Not asking as critique of the boards or anything like that. I just don't understand how the spambots do it outside of their magic spam powers.

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7897
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-12-2012 at 04:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I regret this thread. CIG's already combatting the first spammer in Parts Unknown.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7897
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-5-2013 at 06:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did a quick look and saw the almost 800 new accounts since New Years, almost all of whom haven't made a single post and almost all of whom are certainly spammers/bots.

Never thought anything like this would happen. I say shut it off again and allow new registrations by e-mail only. Rick, I am apology.

PS: any chance of just rigging the system so that any account without a legit post within, say, two days of registering is automatically erased? I'm kind of on the retentive side when it comes to redundancies and messes and if I had to monitor this place as an admin the massive amount of non-posters on the account list would drive me batty.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The spam registrants are a pain in the ass - attempted to browse through the member list to identify Breakthrough Poster of the Year candidates and quickly gave up given how much of that shit there is.

I second what Paddlefoot says. That, or get Matte to do his damn job.

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11920
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 1-9-2013 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think it's time to close registration again.

I gotta wonder - has this kind of forum spamming EVER worked in any forum in the past? Does it still work in some forums now? I can't see in any way shape or form how it would.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top