GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!
Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW ("The End Begins" Edition -- January 2, 2012)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4480
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-2-2012 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW ("The End Begins" Edition -- January 2, 2012)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to RAW (airing January 2, 2012) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on RAW: WWE kicks off the new year with a Free-per-View caliber show, one that features two different things to be very excited about... the excitement stems from mystery and ambiguity in one case, and from stone cold certainty in the other...

The mystery and ambiguity surrounds the payoff of the January 2, 2012 vignettes (which started 6 weeks ago as a viral-only youtube deal, but which started appearing on WWE TV shows 3 weeks ago)... the vignettes feature two school kids (a boy and a girl), tons of fairly random imagery, and an ominous voiceover that promises a former star is returning to take his rightful place on 1/2/12... while some have been falling all over themselves to "decode" the vignettes, at this point I think they exist more to provide red herrings and disinformation, while the creator sits back and chuckles at the various interpretations; the important take away is that this is a guy coming back to "claim what is rightfully his," and to hell with the paraphrased bible verses and what the kid was scribbling in his notebook and what not...

Theories abound -- and you can probably surmise which one OO ascribes to, given the new folder titles that went into place last week -- but at this point, I won't name names or discuss the air travel itineraries of future Hall of Famers...

And the one thing that's certain tonight: a WWE Title Match between CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler will be 2012's first Free TV Match of the Year candidate... Ziggler rebounded from his US Title loss by pinning Punk last week to earn the title shot... their combined skills should ensure the action is off the charts, while extracurriculars involving Vickie Guerrero and/or Johnny Ace (who has taken a personal interest in antagonizing Punk lately) should ensure the drama/sizzle is there, too... many also believe that the 1/2/12 Mystery Man is coming back to confront Punk, but hopefully the two segments will be kept separate tonight so as to allow Punk/Ziggler to shine on its own, and to put a prospective Punk/Mystery Man feud on a slower burn to WrestleMania...

Third on the depth chart tonight: John Cena and Kane, whose little storyline took an intriguing twist last week when Kane cut an excellent promo encouraging Cena to quit pretending to be such a good guy, and let the hate flow through him... on the heels of last month's Darth Piper recruiting speech, there's suddenly a ton of pressure on Cena to drop the goody-two-shoes act... whether Cena/Kane is a huge PPV match anyone wants to see is uncertain (I don't), but character-wise, this opens up tons of possibilities for Cena as he gears up to face The Rock... as I outlined 2 weeks ago, it also opens up the chance for Cena to "get greedy" and take the Rumble PPV Title Shot against Punk, since (a) it is an absolutely gaping, inexcusable logic hole if Cena enters the Rumble match itself (since he already knows who he's wrestling at WM), so he needs something else to do on the PPV, and (b) that thing really shouldn't be a one-on-one with Kane since it's not that marketable a match and it would remove Kane from being a possible Rumble winner... we'll see where they go with this tonight...

[TANGENT: if it's not Punk/Cena at the Rumble, then what? You still don't want to burn a credible Rumble winner against Punk, so here's my pitch... Punk vs. Johnny Ace. I'm sure I've now lost any remaining credibility I had with the "IWC"/wanker crowd, but I would secretly have a lot of fun if they did it up right. Ace keeps antagonizing Punk, Punk keeps begging for a chance to kick Ace's ass (as he did last week), and you finally set it up that Ace agrees, but only in a match where he stacks the deck so much against Punk that it almost seems plausible that Ace could win. It could be a massively amusing Sports Entertainment Segment, and I bet it'd go over gangbusters with the crowd.]

The rest: R-Truth is back and a babyface, though I'm not sure if that was such a wise idea... I was against it a month ago, and seeing him getting "WHAT'd" by the fans (instead of cheered by them) makes me suspect I was right to want to keep Miz/Truth together, rather than trying to make them enemies in a feud that absolutely nobody was asking for; we'll see if they can tweek things to prove me wrong... Zack Ryder still owes Dolph a US Title rematch, but it's unclear if that's still his long term feud, or not; in the short term, it looks like they're trying to put Zack and Eve together as an on-screen couple, which only really makes sense if they think it's one way for Zack to neutralize Vickie and beat Ziggler again without hurting Ziggler's credibility too much... I officially have zero idea what's going on in the Women's Division; Beth is still the champ, but is broken up from Nattie, maybe, kinda, sorta; Tamina may or may not have turned face, so maybe Kaitlyn's heel-turn-that-never-aired will be re-done; so who the hell knows who the #1 contender is... and they're promising that tonight, for realz, totally honest this time, Brodus Clay will make his RAW return after an estimated 17 months of vignettes and false starts...

As always, RAW is a de facto cross-over show, so a couple elements from SmackDown could also seep in, tonight... I was loving the Bryan/Big Show prickly heat last week, and with those two having their own FPV Title Match on Friday, that'd be the #1 go-to SD storyline to feature, if I was in charge... Booker/Cody can probably take the night off... and we know for certain that we'll kick off the new year with NO RANDALL ORTON (he's nursing a back injury and will be back for the Rumble)... although, I guess we could always get an appearance from Wade Barrett (who gets storyline credit for Orton being gone), if they really can't come up with other ways to fill up the 2 hours...

That is all.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

[Edited on 1-2-2012 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7485
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-3-2012 at 12:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So...this is kinda off-subject, but if Brodus shows up, wins, and is made a big enough deal out of that he makes it to future Raw's and/or Smackdown's, I think that means that NXT officially has all of four guys between all of its seasons that are actively on TV (Wade, Otunga, and Bryan being the other three) ever since Alex Riley may or may not have played himself off with a Twitter post he may or may not have posted. If WWE ever realizes this and that it means NXT was not really a success (outside of Nexus being formed from the first season), I feel bad for the random collection of guys they're using to fill up the never-ending season they have right now.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8054
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 01:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AJ and Kaitlyn are on TV pretty regularly. McGillicutty was until like a month or 2 ago. Sheffield is supposed to be back soon too. The problem is they chose a lot of really green wrestlers for next to go along with the few polished guys (Barrett, Bryan, Ki, maybe 1 or 2 others) to give them experience. Also, injuries have really stifled a few guys' momentum.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 02:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And some of the guys from season one of NXT are back wrestling on it frequently - I've got it on in the background right now (still a TV show over here!), and Justin Gabriel is facing Heath Slater... Darren Young pops up frequently too.

I'm pretty sure they've given up on the idea of a competition. With Tough Enough, they do not need two "next big thing" comepetitions. I'd rather they keep tough enough, and have NXT be what it is now - the new Sunday Night Heat!

ETA: I'm fine with the number of stars it has created so far. The idea is ONE person wins. Everyone else fucks back off for a while. It's how it should be. Same with these lame ass talent shows. Half the time its not even the winner that ends up hanging around longest.

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by Gobshite]

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1676
Registered 1-15-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 03:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They better debut him/her/them right at the beginning, or they'll miss out on two whole hours of trending.

dragondragon
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 65
Registered 3-1-2011

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 03:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anybody else think Cole was much more tolerable during that Bryan-Rhodes match? Yes, he was a heel, but he toned it down a little bit and allowed Lawler to try and put Bryan over. Maybe that supposed meeting about Cole resulted in something..

Also that segment with Miz and Ace was hysterical. I can't believe Ace is nailing this. That "lame duck" joke, coupled with Miz's reaction was great.

DudeLove721
Showstopper

Posts 560
Registered 2-19-2003
Location Canada

Mood: Confused

posted on 1-3-2012 at 03:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So after hearing Cole's commentary during the Dan Brian match, I think it's safe to say that the whole "WWE realizing his announcing persona is a problem" thing is complete bullshit, right?

You know how reliable that coked-up sack of gay is.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Vickie telling the ref to count out Punk faster hurt my brain.

Fandom
Fella

Posts 298
Registered 7-17-2005

Mood: Sick. Very sick

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really wish someone would explain how "twin magic" allowing for a fresh person to enter the ring makes a small package more effective and an instant win for the Bellas.

Also, I know that Ace hurt his arm when he got hit, but it looks like he's mime-ing jacking off in front of Punk. And once again fail on the announcers NOT explaining that Ziggler was stealing Punks belt and was not the new champion. Having to clarify that after the commercial break is too late WWE. The announcers should be on that immediately.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jericho

Think he outdid himself with the outfit.

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by S Kid J E T S 48]

Fandom
Fella

Posts 298
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow.... great job building up Jericho coming out and doing nothing.... it feels like there is something else about to drop and knowing the WWE, it won't.

Yep... total waste of time. Critical fumble WWE.

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by Fandom]

Eric Weddle
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 51
Registered 3-10-2011
Location San Diego CA

Mood: Charged Up

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looks like it will be the fastest heel turn ever, he is acting too excited
Eric Weddle
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 51
Registered 3-10-2011
Location San Diego CA

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eric Weddle
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 51
Registered 3-10-2011
Location San Diego CA

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1811
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 1-3-2012 at 04:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was...wow....that was....

Just Awful. Stupid. A waste of time.

SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know, I thought it brilliant how he turned the entire crowd without even saying a word.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

KaiserGlider
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 24
Registered 7-1-2011

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jericho just trolled us all.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   KaiserGlider 's Yahoo
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Gonna side on brilliant for the Jericho thing. 2nd fastest returning superstar face to heel turn ever after Big Show destroying Rey Mysterio's injured body at Royal Rumble a few years ago.

As for the main event angle...um...not so brilliant.

It did make me think Cena and Ryder would be good partners in a buddy cop show, though.

Prediction: Brodus Clay debuts at Royal Rumble.........the 28th anniversary in 2015.

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by S Kid J E T S 48]

TheGuest
And I am AWESOME

Posts 169
Registered 7-10-2009

Mood: Guest-y

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I waited 2 months for Jericho to pop-out in a blinking Christmas-light jacket, run around the ring and go "YEAHHH~!" for 15 minutes and then leave?

... WHY?

TheGuest: That annoying chat dude.

[TheGuest] That's great, they kick him all over his torso and head and what does he sell? His knee.
[Dougie 2.0] Khalis kneebone is connected to his headbone
[Tommy D] Same way Welker hurt his knee.
[Sportsguy] Welker was jumped by the Nexus?
[Tommy D] yes they were so quick you couldn't even see them
[BC] you can't see me?

Fandom
Fella

Posts 298
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanSmythe
I don't know, I thought it brilliant how he turned the entire crowd without even saying a word.

The same thing could have been accomplished with zero buildup.

Waste of time, waste of money (the promos), waste of talent.

SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seriously, you guys know this entire storyline is just starting. Its not like he wont show up next week and maybe say something? IWC needs to decide hot shot angles or slowly build things up. If the match is gonna be Punk vs Jericho at Mania, why start it off now? Especially when Punk is busy with Dolph? It would make Dolph look second tier.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 813
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was watching with my daughter, and she said it was funny how Jericho was taking so much time, going around the ring and all. I said "Wouldn't it be great if he just turned and went back up the ramp and never spoke to the crowd?"...and he did!

I can see how some people might not like this, but I do see the positive of it if they are going to have him feud with Punk. He comes back to big crowd reactions, later says how they love him, but have supported Punk and his "Best in the world" slogan, and that because of that, the fans are hypocrites. He could also use his playing of the "IWC" as a way to be even more heelish.

I will give the WWE a few weeks to see where they go with Jericho. But I was hoping for more, when it was actually Jericho making the return (instead of Vince, as I thought it would be).

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9493
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2012 at 05:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was that even really a heel turn? That segment was seriously bizarre, I'll give Jericho that. I still don't really know what the fuck happened. As it turned more and more into self-parody, I kept expecting him to hit the "heel" switch and swerve the crowd but that's not really what he did. He just...left.

Loved Skid's comment about Ryder and Cena's cop show possibilities. I totally got the same vibe as they were sitting there exhausted, bathed in red light and looking like they both just survived a near-death experience.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Fandom
Fella

Posts 298
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 1-3-2012 at 06:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm just glad Cena saved his boyfriend.

Damn Kane. Trying to break up such a happy couple by taking Ryder to his hole.

DudeLove721
Showstopper

Posts 560
Registered 2-19-2003
Location Canada

Mood: Confused

posted on 1-3-2012 at 06:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
People crapping all over Jericho already need to chill: That one segment won't make or break his entire run. I think it was odd but won't start crying about how it's the worst thing ever until I see what they actually plan on doing with his character. At least no one can say he missed the mark with his returning promo this time around -- he didn't cut one.

And I agree with those who said the main event angle fell flat. Talk about ending the show with an anti-climactic thud... how do these idiots write this stuff and think it's a satisfying way to end a show? Furthermore, how do they think it makes for sustainable episodic TV?

And am I the only one who remains amazed that CM Punk can get away with saying things like "I'm going to beat you like a bitch" in this PG-era of the product?

(Edited slightly because of posts that were made while I wrote mine.)

[Edited on 1-3-2012 by DudeLove721]

You know how reliable that coked-up sack of gay is.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top