The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA Regular Season - 2011/2012
Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1188
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TommyD420
One thing Charlotte does have...the Charlotte Hornets were by far the best NBA JAM team ever. Larry Johnson AND Alonzo Mourning? AND they make threes?
Don't forget the NBA JAM Tournament Edition, which featured Mourning, Johnson, and MUGGSY!

Even on NBA Jam on XBLA today, the old-school Hornets are one of my favorite teams to use (even if Zo and LJ can't hit threes like they used to).

(my other favorites: the Knicks with Jeremy Lin and Patrick Ewing, and the Supersonics [Kemp and GP])

Also, fuck anyone who uses the Celtics in online play.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

2010 OO Fantasy Football Champion!

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 8964
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 01:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been loving all this Charlotte Hornets reminiscing (including the NBA Jam badassery) which brings me to my bigger point -

BRING THE HORNETS BACK TO CHARLOTTE, GODDAMMIT!! The Bobcats have pretty much been a disaster since they started in 2004, record-wise and fan support-wise. There are a bunch of people like me who have wonderful memories of the Hornets and just the fact that they change back to that name/color scheme will get my ass more supportive. And now that New Orleans has been bought and the owner says he fully intends to change the name, this shit can finally happen.

So, I will be waiting..for my Charlotte Hornets to return...

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 5314
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 04:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thunder/Heat should be a damn entertaining finals. What, there's still one more game to be played before then? Yeah, Thunder/Heat should be a damn entertaining finals!
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 04:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lebron is incredible. Not only was that a great game, but he still manages to handle all this pressure and vitriol (and Doris Burke saying failure will be his fault) with poise, and doesn't even react when classy Boston fans shower him with (hopefully) beer.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eh, he was bound to show up for a Game 6 eventually. If he plays with that kind of fire in Game 7, then I'll be impressed.

He did looks like a goddamned beast tonight, though.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3406
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 6-8-2012 at 05:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
Lebron is incredible. Not only was that a great game, but he still manages to handle all this pressure and vitriol (and Doris Burke saying failure will be his fault) with poise, and doesn't even react when classy Boston fans shower him with (hopefully) beer.

I cannot stand the Heat and really want to root for Boston but man Boston fans really are the worse.

mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1116
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 6-8-2012 at 12:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chretienbabacool
I cannot stand the Heat and really want to root for Boston but man Boston fans really are the worse.

The "Let's Go Celtics!" chant at the end was inspiring though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-8-2012 at 01:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was pretty cool.

Cig, are you serious bro? He's already shown up by averaging like 30/10/5 or so for the series. It's insane that he can put up those numbers and he'd still be called a choker if they lost, even though Wade has been terrible and no one got back on D in Game 5.

Meanwhile, the entire Big 3 combined scored less (31) than Lebron and no one's going to call any of them a loser. If Lebron had the combined numbers of the Big 3 in a loss (let alone just Pierce's #'s) Skip Bayless and half the sportswriters in America would have drowned in their own spooge.

@EofMasculinity

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4492
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 6-9-2012 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have despised Lebron for years. Have hated the prima donna attitude and all the hype. Buuuut, I think I may be involved in a bit of a "double turn" here with the Celtics. They were in a perfect position to close the series at home and they were pretty much outplayed, especially by Lebron. He put in a great game, was the leader everyone has been expecting him to be. And then, some fucking fan throws beer on him? Really?

So then I am trying to settle a disagreement with a friend and I see he is married to his high school sweetheart with whom he has two kids. Read another article about what it must be like to be a NBA star in the Twitter / Facebook era and...I think I'm warming up to this fucking guy.

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1188
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2012 at 05:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not warming up to LeBron. I'll grant that he's arguably the best player in the NBA today (unquestionably top three), and a case could even be made for him as the most naturally talented/gifted player in league history. And I did really like him early in his career. I remember watching his first game and thinking "this dude could seriously become the best of all-time."

Then he reached the point where being a "global icon" or a brand-name or whatever became more important to him, and we got stuff like The Decision and the big party where he was talking about them winning nine titles when all he'd done to that point is build a rep as a guy who could dominate the regular season, then mostly fall apart in the playoffs. The "I'm still rich and famous so anyone who doesn't like me can get fucked" press conference after the finals last year didn't help much either.

Is it all his fault? Not really, but it doesn't change the fact that he's handled the backlash to it all with all the grace and maturity of someone who's been hailed as the greatest fucking thing ever since his mid-teens.

And as far as the beer thing goes, I agree that it's unacceptable and disgusting, and the fan should be banned from the arena for at least a year. But like LeBron himself said, he's still rich, and that guy has to wake up to whatever personal problems he has in his life, right? He'll be okay.

[Edited on 6-9-2012 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

2010 OO Fantasy Football Champion!

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2012 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, at least I still have MSD to kick around.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Classy move by KG/Rondo walking off the court before end of the game.

@EofMasculinity

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2012 at 04:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Classy move by KG/Rondo walking off the court before end of the game.

Yeah, we've never seen LeBron do that.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2012 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And when he did, everyone said he was a classless baby. But when the Celtics do it, it's a non-issue.

Again, Lebron is held to a ridiculously high standard that applies to no one else. And if they had lost game 7, everyone would have got back on the non-clutch train even though Game 6 was equally as important.

@EofMasculinity

TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 6-12-2012 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
And when he did, everyone said he was a classless baby. But when the Celtics do it, it's a non-issue.

Again, Lebron is held to a ridiculously high standard that applies to no one else. And if they had lost game 7, everyone would have got back on the non-clutch train even though Game 6 was equally as important.

It must suck to root for a team that never gets out of the 1st round.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-12-2012 at 04:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Again, Lebron is held to a ridiculously high standard that applies to no one else.

"Not ONE championship, not TWO championships, not THREE championships, not even SEVEN championships..."

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-12-2012 at 04:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Again, so what? He made a ridiculous promise to the team's fans. Dumb thing to say, and he should have known it would spread, but it's not like he said this in some interview.

ETA:

It would suck rooting for the Knicks if I cared more about basketball. Now it's just rooting for "anyone but Boston" and enjoying the games. Should be a great finals.

[Edited on 6/12/2012 by theflammablemanimal]

@EofMasculinity

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 5314
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2012 at 05:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Being a man of my word, here's what I posted nearly six months ago, on January 6th:

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
My first time posting in the NBA thread, but the Heat are winning the title this year, without question. I will re-quote this thread in June (or is it July...fuck the NBA playoffs are long) when it happens. Good day.

It sucks being right.

salmonjunkie

Posts 11065
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 6-22-2012 at 05:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stupid Zombie Sonics....

Congrats, LeBron.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
mooseheadjack

Posts 10507
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 6-22-2012 at 05:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
fuck LeBron. I hope his knee explodes

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2012 at 07:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fuck LeBron, but he played his ass off and earned it. I still don't like him, but at least now I can respect him.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2012 at 01:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really don't understand all the hate (unless you're from Cleveland, and even then you should get over it). Have we never seen an arrogant athlete before?

As far as I know, the only reasons to hate Lebron are the Decision, the Proclamation (not 1, not 2) and when he lashed out and said his detractors would have to go back to their own lives. And he argues about foul calls.

So what? You're going to hate the guy forever for 3 errors in judgement. Unlike a lot of other beloved athletes, he's not a felon or philanderer or a drunk. He doesn't attack anyone or get into fights, doesn't throw his coach under the bus no matter how much he's named Mike Brown, doesn't hold out, doesn't demand trades, doesn't talk about himself in the 3rd person. So who cares?

He made a few big errors in judgement, then handled 2 years of intense criticism and pressure with class. Heck, after the Celtics win and last night, the interviewers (Doris Burk, Stu Scott) started the interview with "last year you were terrible, and everyone hated you, how did you overcome that?" and he didn't smack either of them for shitting on his biggest moments.

@EofMasculinity

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3247
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: Tired

posted on 6-22-2012 at 01:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cleveland sports fans are slightly [/sarcasm] fanatical about their teams. There is a reason Art Modell is not in the Hall of Fame, because if/when he shows up in Canton he will be killed, tarred, feathered, drawn and quartered.

In the mind of the Cleveland fan Lebron betrayed the love and admiration by publicly taking his talents to South Beach.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10507
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 6-22-2012 at 11:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
So what? You're going to hate the guy forever for 3 errors in judgement.

Are you not familiar with sports fans?

Fuck LeBron. I don't give a shit that he won a title, the Decision was a monumentally stupid thing to do, and no one on earth can convince me that the man is so stupid that he didn't see the backlash coming. I don't like him, and I never will, and I hope he never wins another title, and I hope he chokes on this one.

Zero respect for the man

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12397
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 6-23-2012 at 04:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I really don't understand all the hate (unless you're from Cleveland, and even then you should get over it).

Ah, yes. Nothing makes people more willing to change their outlook on something than to be told to "just get over it already". Please, tell a Seattle fan "The Sonics are gone, JUST GET OVER IT" and see where that gets you. In fact, tell a Browns fan to "just get over Art Modell".

quote:

As far as I know, the only reasons to hate Lebron are the Decision, the Proclamation (not 1, not 2) and when he lashed out and said his detractors would have to go back to their own lives. And he argues about foul calls.

Oh, is that all? Well Jesus, the guy is practically Tim Tebow. Why is everybody picking on this poor entitled asshole who did this thing, this thing, this thing, this thing...

quote:

So what? You're going to hate the guy forever for 3 errors in judgement.

Accountability? FUCK ACCOUNTABILITY! Do whatever you want. If somebody holds you accountable for the things you say and do, well, tell 'em to JUST GET OVER IT ALREADY.

quote:

Unlike a lot of other beloved athletes, he's not a felon or philanderer or a drunk. He doesn't attack anyone or get into fights, doesn't throw his coach under the bus no matter how much he's named Mike Brown, doesn't hold out, doesn't demand trades, doesn't talk about himself in the 3rd person. So who cares?

See guys, maybe he's an asshole, but he's not a criminal so you shouldn't dislike him just for being an asshole. That's not a flaccid argument at all!

quote:

He made a few big errors in judgement, then handled 2 years of intense criticism and pressure with class. Heck, after the Celtics win and last night, the interviewers (Doris Burk, Stu Scott) started the interview with "last year you were terrible, and everyone hated you, how did you overcome that?" and he didn't smack either of them for shitting on his biggest moments.

Well for the first time in 8 years he handled a big moment with class and poise so clearly he's turned a corner. Fuck me, you're right after all.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top