The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Possible new WWE dvds
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 05:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Possible new WWE dvds

link

quote:

Dot Net reader Dan Drago forwarded a poll that was issued by WWE regarding future DVD releases. Those who were sent the poll were asked to list whether they were very interested, somewhat interest, neutral, not very interested, or had no interest at all in the following wrestlers or themes.

-Randy Orton

-Edge

-Steve Austin

-The Rock

-Triple H

-Jerry Lawler

-Sting

-Brock Lesnar

-C.M. Punk

-The Miz

-The NWO

-"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase

-Bruno Sammartino

-Gorgeous George

-WWE Divas

-The Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden

-The Brutal History of the "I Quit" match

-The Money in the Bank Anthology

-Tough Enough, Season One hosted by Steve Austin

-The Best of Shotgun Saturday Night

-The Best of Tuesday Night Titans

-Tables, Ladders, and Chairs compilation

-King of the Ring

Some interesting (and not so interesting) options on there. Didn't they just put out an Orton set?

I'll buy anything Rock or CM Punk-related and now is the time to do something for Edge. I'd also like a better nWo set than that shitty one they put out a long time ago. The MitB compilation would be a fun set, too.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 5-23-2011 at 06:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lesnar's WWE career was so short, they could probably put almost every match he had on a three DVD set. And I like the Miz well enough, but he damn sure doesn't need his own DVD yet.

The inclusion of Shotgun Saturday Night is interesting... I'm surprised anyone within the company would remember it at all, let alone consider putting out a DVD set for it. How long did that show even last in it's original form? I seem to remember it not being all THAT long, but maybe I'm wrong. It was kinda fun since it was so different... with them putting on shows in random places like nightclubs and subway terminals.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 06:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For all the kids that are new to WWE and are watching this Lawler stuff, a King DVD would be pretty cool. It would show them why the hell Lawler has been important to wrestling history...especially all the Kaufman stuff would was such a big mainstream event for the business itself.

southermagu
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1214
Registered 1-11-2006
Location Louisville

Mood: APOLOGY!!

posted on 5-23-2011 at 06:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know about a Lawler set. Aren't the rights to most of his work actually owned by someone else?

A friend of mine, who is an old school Memphis wrestling fanatic, once asked Lawler himself if they would ever be able to get any of that stuff out into a DVD set and he said pretty confidently "No."

Now, if they were just asking me? I'd tell them to make that KoTR set ASAP...

Hey guys...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   southermagu 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9467
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 06:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I liked how that survey had a question along the lines of "Would you want to see the footage on these DVDs in their original, uncensored form or would you like a PG version?" I hope they overwhelmingly get answers on the "original, uncensored form" side.

Because, sad to say, but with the way they've been editing some of the violence on their DVDs now that "I Quit" DVD (and any others that would need to include blood, unprotected chair shots, and/or skimpy Attitude-era swimwear) would lose a hell of a lot of its luster.

And punker, I remember Shotgun Saturday Night being really awesome when it first started (and they were doing a lot of the stuff you mentioned, i.e. subway terminals, bars/restaurants, etc. I actually vividly remember Undertaker wrestling HHH in some strange venue that resulted in Taker giving Hunter a totally awesome Tombstone on a moving escalator). But they then moved away from what made it cool and different (kinda like they did with the ECW rebirth, now that I think about it) and it basically became what WWE Superstars is now.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 5-23-2011 at 08:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"the brutal history of the "I quit" match"? That's got to be one of the worst dvd theme ideas they've come up with surely?
mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1154
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-23-2011 at 08:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've heard the WWE is actively looking for more information on Gorgeous George, and is asking people with recollections, photos, videos or whatever of George to contact them. Makes sense now that I see his name on this list. Still waiting for Bruno to die before we ever see a career retrospective on him.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The KOTR one is kinda interesting as I hope it means it will get usde more regularily again. Wasn't their an old stip back when they had the KOTR PPV that the winner also got a title shot at Summer Slam? Given that we have two world titles this would seem like a great way to set up a big long term feud for what was their second biggest PPV of the year, to say nothing of its star making potential.
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9467
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

quote:
Originally posted by knuckleballschwartz
"the brutal history of the "I quit" match"? That's got to be one of the worst dvd theme ideas they've come up with surely?

Heh...I was kind of thinking that too. I mean, other than the OBVIOUS one (coughcoughRockMankindcoughcough) have there been many other really memorable ones? I think I remember Cena and JBL having a really good no-holds-barred brawl on PPV 6-7 years back but can't remember if that was even an "I Quit" match or not.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

The KOTR one is kinda interesting as I hope it means it will get usde more regularily again. Wasn't their an old stip back when they had the KOTR PPV that the winner also got a title shot at Summer Slam? Given that we have two world titles this would seem like a great way to set up a big long term feud for what was their second biggest PPV of the year, to say nothing of its star making potential.
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-Randy Orton
Does he have a DVD yet? I'm not interested in seeing it either way, but if they haven't released one yet, I'd imagine they could put together a pretty damn good one.

-Edge
This one's pretty obvious. Edge just retired, and now is probably the best time to capitalize on that by releasing a career retrospective DVD.

-Steve Austin
Haven't there been enough Austin movies?

-The Rock
Haven't there been enough Rock movies?

-Triple H
Not interested personally, but can see how this could be a money-maker.

-Jerry Lawler
I would not buy this, but depending on the footage they can collect and legally show, this could be a nice going away gift for King, assuming he's retiring from on-screen work soon. I just hope we don't get an entire disc of King/Cole.

-Sting
Another obvious one here, right?

-Brock Lesnar
Brock Lesnar is a frightening monster, and I would gladly pay for a DVD set of all his best matches (which I'm sure there are plenty of).

-C.M. Punk
I don't know if now is the time for it, but eventually. He's already been in some great matches and feuds, but I don't feel that he's hit his high point yet.

-The Miz
Like Punk, Miz should get one eventually, I just don't know if now is the time.

-The NWO
I guess it would be cool, but I feel like I've seen more of the NWO these past ten or so years than I'd have liked to.

-"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
Has there not been a Million Dollar Man DVD yet? This one's obviously overdue.

-Bruno Sammartino
Could be gold for the old school fans.

-Gorgeous George
See above.

-WWE Divas
Honestly, I'm not interested in seeing any Diva stuff from the past few years on YouTube, let alone on DVD.

-The Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden
Kind of odd, but I get it. MSG is the arena. And WWE has torn the place down time and time again.

-The Brutal History of the "I Quit" match
Lame.

-The Money in the Bank Anthology
The match or the PPV? The match, could be cool. The PPV, I'm not so sure.

-Tough Enough, Season One hosted by Steve Austin
I figured this would be released on DVD anyway.

I'm 12 and what is this?

-The Best of Tuesday Night Titans
See above.

-Tables, Ladders, and Chairs compilation
I would support this, though I've seen the Hardy/Dudley/E&C TLC matches so many times, I basically know all the spots and when they happen by heart. Would be hoping for a lot of newer TLC matches (Cena/Edge, Edge/Flair, Hardy/Punk, etc.), which they would include no doubt.

-King of the Ring
I miss KOTR. I would enjoy this.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

OO Wrestling Draft 13 Signup

CheMateo
Showstopper

Posts 922
Registered 1-9-2008
Location Charming, Ca.

Mood: Ponce De Leon

posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Shotgun DVD set would be cool to have. That was such a fun and unique show back in 97. I really liked the intimate atmosphere and more "extreme" nature of the matches.

HHH being tombstoned by Taker at the train station was a very memorable moment. What a cool place for a broadcast. I also recall the first episode really well. Marlena flashed the Sultan, The Headbangers made their debuts as the Flying Nuns, Mascarita Sagarda had a terrific match against Mini-Vader, and Ahmed Pearl River Plunged D'Lo on the roof of a Lincoln.

Shotgun was the perfect template for ECW to follow. It never quite reached that level. Too bad they cannot actually have a show that is distinctly different from the rest of their product like Shotgun was.

I taped as many episodes as I could. It was tough back then for me to stay up till 1am. I remember being so psyched that WWF was finally becoming more extreme like ECW. I was tired of their sanitary product. Once Shotgun started airing I would show it off to various family members who hated wrestling. Even they were intrigued by the different style and tone. One week I was shooting my mouth off to my cousin and his pal, trying to get them to watch Shotgun. We stayed up only to see a crappy, post-Raw taped episode where Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon beat up some jobbers. I was so disappointed to see it all end.

Sadly, that format of airing live from clubs etc. did not last long. I think it lasted about two months. Apparently the advertising revenue was not high enough to justify the cost of flying out the talent from the loop exclusively for Shotgun.

[Edited on 5-23-2011 by CheMateo]

mastermind
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1154
Registered 3-7-2002
Location Brockton MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Heh...I was kind of thinking that too. I mean, other than the OBVIOUS one (coughcoughRockMankindcoughcough) have there been many other really memorable ones? I think I remember Cena and JBL having a really good no-holds-barred brawl on PPV 6-7 years back but can't remember if that was even an "I Quit" match or not.

Mick Foley vs Ric Flair from Summerslam (boston, I think???) I seem to recall an Eddie Gilbert/Terry Funk match from EARLY ECW that was I quit, I think (king of philly match/chain match that Gilbert won). And of course Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA is the penultimate I Quit match.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It wasn't until the last post that I remembered WWE has a vast tape library, and the brutal history of the I Quit match wouldn't be just WWE matches of the past 5 years. I hope not at least.

I'm in favor of many of the same dvd choices as the rest of you, but I would like to see an nWo dvd. Mainly because the nWo dvd that came out years ago was fucking garbage. Having just Nash and Waltman talk about the group wouldn't really cut it though. It would require a Scott Norton cameo.

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 5-23-2011 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermind

Mick Foley vs Ric Flair from Summerslam (boston, I think???) I seem to recall an Eddie Gilbert/Terry Funk match from EARLY ECW that was I quit, I think (king of philly match/chain match that Gilbert won). And of course Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA is the penultimate I Quit match.

even with these 3 matches (and the ones you listed involve 5 absolute legends) the i quit match remains basically someone doing a move and then call and response. Its just an awful match stip.

KOTR I wouldn't mind seeing especially if they combined both a bit of history of "kings of the ring" - jerry lawler, harley race, the macho king with the later PPV stuff which I thought had a lot of great moments (owen's coronation, the birth of 3:16, erm....king mabel?)

I'd be quite interested in seeing a gorgeous george doco too.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-23-2011 at 10:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OMG for anyone not familiar with Shotgun Saturday night go Youtube it...

Midgets, flashing, crazy outside spots, or cramped bar fights... its like it was trying to emulate the feel from ECW or something.

Sunny would still rock;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fXoOLfZgs&feature=related

Seriously, a main event between Maskerina (?) and Mini-Vaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UuTLFgtfvo&NR=1

Taker vs HHH (cool finish)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UCv0wCZfQ0&feature=related

Marlena's... uh "distraction" and Bob Backlund is nuts;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2mue66z8U&feature=related

drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 5-23-2011 at 10:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I cannot express how excited I'd be by the release of a Shotgun Saturday night DVD. The show in its early days was awesome, as Fllaasshhheu's clips above suggest. If the 'E wanted to go an split its audience and have a show that's still more for adults, they should revisit this idea. The show was just this anarchic, weird, non-storyline series of matches that maybe tried a bit too hard at times, but also scratched an indefinable itch. A couple of friends and I would actually go home early from drinking (but well drunk by then) to catch Shotgun Saturday night.

quote:
Originally posted by Matte
I'm 12 and what is this?

Google exists for a reason. Use it. Damn kids. get off my lawn!

[Edited on 5-23-2011 by drmuerto]

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1964
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2011 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-Randy Orton - Nope.
-Edge - Didn't they already do a pretty comprehensive set?
-Steve Austin - Ditto.
-The Rock - Ditto once more.
-Triple H - Ditto again.
-Jerry Lawler - Could be interesting.
-Sting - Inevitable that it'll happen. Not a ton of interest personally, but could be good.
-Brock Lesnar - Nah.
-C.M. Punk - Yes yes yes.
-The Miz - Eh. I like him on TV. But a DVD? No thanks.
-The NWO - Is there really anything more to say that wasn't on the last DVD?
-"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase - Wasn't this one already done? Maybe not. It'd be pretty good I guess.
-Bruno Sammartino - Ehh. Not really.
-Gorgeous George - No thanks.
-WWE Divas - If I was 14, sure.
-The Greatest Moments at Madison Square Garden - Has potential. But I don't see it happening.
-The Brutal History of the "I Quit" match - No thanks.
-The Money in the Bank Anthology - Maybe in the future when there've been a few more.
-Tough Enough, Season One hosted by Steve Austin - Of course it'll happen.
-The Best of Shotgun Saturday Night - I would actually love this.
-The Best of Tuesday Night Titans - Sounds like fun.
-Tables, Ladders, and Chairs compilation - Didn't they do a Ladder Match DVD? Would this really be that different?
-King of the Ring - Why not?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2011 at 01:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rock/HHH also had an I quit match before they hit the bigtime.

I would think most of the good Rock/HHH/Austin/Orton stuff is already on dvd.

I can't believe there isn't already a Brock dvd. He had more great matches in 2 years than some other main eventers had in their whole career.

Miz should not get a dvd since his career so far has been about talking. He's been great lately but how many really good matches has he ever had?

No way Sting gets a dvd while he's in TNA. They might just be trying to gauge interest I'm bringing him to WWE.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

chewey
And I am AWESOME

Posts 142
Registered 6-17-2008
Location Washington, DC

Mood: Marchie Archie!

posted on 5-24-2011 at 01:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Heh...I was kind of thinking that too. I mean, other than the OBVIOUS one (coughcoughRockMankindcoughcough) have there been many other really memorable ones?

Austin-Hart at Wrestlemania 13 is still one of my fondest Wrestlemania memories of all time.

"Don't matter how many times you get burnt, you just keep doin' the same."
--Bodie, HBO's The Wire

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2011 at 04:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
-Edge - Didn't they already do a pretty comprehensive set?
-Steve Austin - Ditto.
-The Rock - Ditto once more.
-Triple H - Ditto again.

Yes, but none of these had the documentaries with them. Fuck that. I like watching old matches as much as the next guy but the documentary parts of these retrospective DVDs are where their production guys really shine, especially given that the match selection on these things can be pretty baffling sometimes. It's pretty safe to say that all 4 of these guys by and large have wrapped up their careers (Rock's forthcoming match against Cena notwithstanding, and I'm sure we'll see Triple H again but probably not doing anything significant) so let's get some documentaries.

quote:

-Brock Lesnar - Nah.

Eh, I'd be interested. This is one where I'd be OK with it just being matches, though. His career was so short that there wouldn't be much to get out of a documentary, and most of the really interesting part of his career was with UFC anyway.

quote:

-The Miz - Eh. I like him on TV. But a DVD? No thanks.
-The NWO - Is there really anything more to say that wasn't on the last DVD?
-"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase - Wasn't this one already done? Maybe not. It'd be pretty good I guess.

I'm all for some Miz love but I don't feel like he needs a DVD yet. That's one I'd be willing to revisit in another 2-3 years.

The original nWo DVD was just awful. It was back when WWE was just starting to put out DVDs for things other than their PPVs and it was just criminally disappointing. Like it or not the nWo was one of the biggest things to ever happen in wrestling and it deserves a serviceable DVD set.

There hasn't been a DiBiase set yet, but I was under the impression that it was already in the works to be released late this year.

I'd also be in favor of another Savage set, this one with a documentary portion. I don't know if the demand would be there, but I think Sgt. Slaughter has had the kind of career that would be fun to see chronicled by WWE's people. A Vader set would be all kinds of fun. A Rick Rude set might sell.

Other than that I don't know if there are many major stars they haven't covered.

[Edited on 5-24-2011 by Chris Is Good517]

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2011 at 06:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If they do a Sgt Slaughter set it'd be cool to see if they could land some of his GI Joe; The Movie footage just for the sillyness of it and to show how much cross over appeal some of these guys have.

While on the subject of cartoons and wrestling, I wonder if a set of that old Rock and Wrestling cartoon with Hogan (as voiced by the brother from Everybody loves Raymond) and all those 80's stars would do anything?

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 5-24-2011 at 05:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

zombiecraig
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 59
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Chicago

Mood: YUM!

posted on 5-24-2011 at 06:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How about going ahead and finishing off the Survivor Series Anthology? Yeah, that would be nice.
TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 5-24-2011 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mastermind
penultimate

This word doesn't mean what you think it means.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top