The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Games You're Currently Playing
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: Radiant Abyss

posted on 8-6-2018 at 01:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Apparently the crowd at the Tekken convention at Mandalay Bay erupted today when they announced that Negan from Walking Dead will be added as a character in the new edition coming out soon. wOOt?

FOIT! FOIT! FOIT! FOOKIN' CHERLETTE! - Florida Jan-Man

I show the world a face not made by God - Frank Castle

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2129
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-17-2018 at 03:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Beat Super Mario 64 last week. Itís quite shocking how fast i can beat that game in a single playthrough.

Now I am working on dead Cells, a roguelite Castlevania-inspired action game which got me interested after some fire reviews trickled out (one of which was a 9.7 from IGN, which led to some hilarity in the game industry last week). Itís truly my favorite roguelite since Binding of Isaac, and is easily better than that game. I highly recommend it.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7083
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-19-2018 at 10:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've heard great things about Dead Cells, yet another game I need to download at some point.

And some of my latest NES Classic exploits:

-Beat Ninja Gaiden a couple of weeks ago. The final stretch of that game is still pretty damn tough, as are the last two boss fights (though the save states made possible by the NES Classic make things easier ), but I was able to get through it without smashing my controller in frustration. This is now the third time I've played all the way through Ninja Gaiden, which is probably one of my better gaming accomplishments.

-I played Super Mario Bros on a whim one night and ended up beating it without dying once. Granted, I used the warp zones, but I can't remember the last time I played that game without dying at least once. Over 30 years later, my skills are still intact!

-Started playing Tecmo Bowl last weekend. As simple as that game is by today's standards, the gameplay is still as fun as ever.

-Just beat Castlevania today...why did I pick Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania as two of my first playthroughs? I dunno, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. And I still think the Grim Reaper fight is just as hard, if not harder, than anything in Ninja Gaiden. It's pretty much just a trial in error, where you hope to not get completely fucked over, especially since you have to go through a gauntlet of enemies just to get to him. Once again, the save state feature made this part far less annoying than in the past though.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2129
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 8-20-2018 at 04:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Level 5 of Castlevania is harder than most things anyone will ever play. Grim Reaper is the worst. Just gotta play your cards right and wind up with a double or triple stoned ax, and even then, that's the easiest he'll ever be, since you'll most likely get fucked over and die because of how random the scythes are.

Then, it's level 6, and my my my, you thought level 5 was hard? Be prepared to take a path down the bridge of hell, and then fight an extremely aggressive Dracula/Final Form.

Only beaten it twice. Once on the NES and the other on the GBA NES Classics.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7083
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-23-2018 at 02:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, those last two levels in Castlevania are fucking hard. I was able to make it to the Grim Reaper with having only lost four bars of health, so I just created a save point right before the fight with him begins and just restarted things there each time I died (which I know isn't playing the game the "real" way, but I just didn't have it in me to go through that part over and over).

And shit, that last fight against Dracula was harder than I remembered it being too.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 8-23-2018 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've beaten a lot of the more difficult NES games back in the day, including Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and such.

I never did beat Dracula's second form in the first Castlevania. Just couldn't do it. It was hard enough to get to, and then to beat the fucker? Maybe I should give it a go on an emulator sometime - but my Castlevania fix is always scratched by Super Castlevania IV.

Another one I never beat - Deadly Towers. But fuck that stupid game anyway.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
niles81
Showstopper

Posts 540
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-24-2018 at 02:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Now I am working on dead Cells, a roguelite Castlevania-inspired action game which got me interested after some fire reviews trickled out (one of which was a 9.7 from IGN, which led to some hilarity in the game industry last week). Itís truly my favorite roguelite since Binding of Isaac, and is easily better than that game. I highly recommend it.

I've been playing Dead Cells since December when it was still a Steam early access game. As of tonight - it became the 3rd most played game on my Steam profile (and I could see it hitting #1 eventually but from there - it would probably trade places for the #1 spot back and forth with FTL which is another fantastic roguelike but of a completely different sort).

I HIGHLY recommend Dead Cells as it's just such a polished game with a lot of variation. Just be warned that you will die A LOT and some of those deaths will make you want to punch the screen. Which is ok - just put it down for the day and pick it up again a day or so later.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7083
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-24-2018 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I've beaten a lot of the more difficult NES games back in the day, including Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and such.

I never did beat Dracula's second form in the first Castlevania. Just couldn't do it. It was hard enough to get to, and then to beat the fucker? Maybe I should give it a go on an emulator sometime - but my Castlevania fix is always scratched by Super Castlevania IV.

Having holy water is pretty much a must for Dracula's second form, as it freezes him in place each time you use it. With that said, it is a pretty daunting task to have to beat Dracula's first form (which is no cakewalk) and then have to take on his second form right after that.

Also, since we're talking Castlevania, here's a pretty crazy speed run of a guy beating the game in 11 minutes (including defeating the Grim Reaper in about five seconds flat): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHjHzHJKkU

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1346
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-24-2018 at 02:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie

Another one I never beat - Deadly Towers. But fuck that stupid game anyway.

I could never get through Deadly Towers either, though I never owned it, just borrowed it from a friend. Makes me question what kind of friend would lend out that game without a warning, but. I think the only NES game I ever owned that I couldn't get through was goddamn Dick Tracy, though I definitely had my share of trouble slogging my way through Ninja Gaiden, Batman and Castlevania III.

I'm glad to see there are some folks on here working their way through older games through the umpteenth time, because that's very much the boat I'm in. I probably haven't picked up a new game in a solid three years, maybe three and a half, roughly coinciding with my son's birth, but I've been plugging away at some older ones. I just polished off my second playthrough of Phantasy Star IV a couple weeks ago, and I just started my first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts in at least a decade.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7083
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-26-2018 at 08:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
I'm glad to see there are some folks on here working their way through older games through the umpteenth time, because that's very much the boat I'm in. I probably haven't picked up a new game in a solid three years, maybe three and a half, roughly coinciding with my son's birth, but I've been plugging away at some older ones. I just polished off my second playthrough of Phantasy Star IV a couple weeks ago, and I just started my first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts in at least a decade.

Yeah, I'd wager that I play more old school games than new games these days. It's pretty rare that I buy a $60 new game, unless it's a must-have title like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey. Otherwise, I tend to be playing at least one or two retro titles at any given time.

And while we're on the subject, I've been playing through Resident Evil 2 on the PS3 the last few weeks. Man, I forgot just how much I love that game and it's probably second only to Resident Evil 4 as my all-time favorite in the series. The remake coming out for the PS4 looks amazing as well, so if I ever break down and actually buy a PS4, that's probably the first game I'm buying.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-27-2018 at 03:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I recently bought a 3DS from FB Market just so I could play Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Beat it last week - that was a very very fun game. Hit the nostalgia feels of my favorite Zelda game, Link To The Past with the familiar world map and the music (Dark World/Lorule music FTW), but with some really cool game mechanics and dungeons.

Now I'm playing Super Mario 3D Land. After that, I have New SMB 2. I got Fire Emblem Awakening with this 3DS, but I think I'm going to sell it on eBay. I know it gets rave reviews, but I don't know if I have the time to play a game that deep.

Any other must haves/must plays on 3DS? Samus Returns will definitely be on my list. It's not the New 3DS, so I can't download the SNES classics.

[Edited on 8-27-2018 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2129
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 8-28-2018 at 06:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
3DS, eh?

Besides what you have already mentioned..lots to go with here...

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is fan-fuckin-tastic.

Mario Kart 7 is a worthy edition.

Pokemon Sun/Moon were great, fully 3D-movement updates to the franchise. Highly enjoyed all of them.

If you can get past the cumbersome control setup, Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of the best shooters of all time.

Resident Evil: Revelations (But now it's been ported to everything)

Gunman Clive 2 is an awesome, super-cheap run and gun action game.

Siesta Fiesta is a fun pong-style game from the eShop.

Ocarina Of Time/Majora's Mask remakes are legend. Can NOT go wrong with those, especially Majora's Mask, which adds some much-needed revisions.

Kirby Triple Deluxe and Robobot are great Kirby platformers.

Steamworld Dig is really cheap on the eShop.

There's a really outstanding port of Donkey Kong Country Returns that came out in 2013.

Star Fox 3DS is an amazing remaster of the 64 version.

The Final Fantasy Theaterhythm game is dope.

Mario Golf: World Tour sucked up about 2 weeks of my time.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12303
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 8-28-2018 at 07:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Majoraís Mask is definitely on my list, since I never beat it back in the day.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4289
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-20-2018 at 08:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I picked up NHL 19 on Friday and while it's pretty much just the incrementally better that we get every year to reflect new rosters and slight game play tweaks they have made a couple of improvements that while not leaps forward, are welcome additions:

*CHEL... I generally don't get into the online stuff as the GM/franchise modes usually appear to me more but I gave this a whirl the other day as three way free for all online game on a frozen pond and it was actually kind of fun... Looking forward to playing around with it's various features a bit more.

*Scouting in the franchise mode got a massive overhaul which impacts trades and so forth... Basically they introduced a fog of war mechanism where your trades are heavily tinged with a complete lack of information about the players you're trading for except for a bit of info unless you send your scouts out to scout that specific player or team or line combinations... There's a few different scouting options at the NHL and AHL levels and it means you have to put in the work.

You can hire and fire your scouting staff of upwards of 20 (you have a budget) and they each have regional strengths and different skill strengths... Scouts stats can improve over time so it seems that it might be a good investment to hire some bad scouts on long term deals and groom them like you would a player. They have contracts like players that have to be negotiated. Some of the scouting reports are kinda cool... you get projections, a glimpse a rookies burgeoning skills and for drafts you also get player and character comparisons.

It adds a nice authentic element to the game that's welcome.

In saying that, I'm curious as to why they didn't go further with this and expand your hiring and firing to a full coaching staff... I mean 2K did this more than a decade ago when they had their one or two forays into an NHL game so I'm baffled that it's taken EA this long to get around to it (more so when you consider they do it already in their NFL game lines)... Maybe they wanted to save something for next year?

Trades are a bit harder and weird out of control contracts by a year or so in seems to be better, although I noticed after simming through year one that the number of big name UFA's and RFA's still sitting out there because most of the teams hit the cap was quite high... So you aren't getting one or two guys eating up massive amounts of cap space but the game still seems to have a bit of a long term decision making problem where it should be able to look and think that signing a 35 year old guy to a 7 year contract for medium money is a bad idea as your younger stars get let out to sit as unsigned RFA's... That's been a problem for the last few years now.

I've mostly just been simming and playing around with the game for now in the franchise mode... Generally speaking EA doesn't really fine tune the final rosters until mid October so I didn't want to jump into a real franchise mode until then.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2129
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 9-29-2018 at 06:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Alright, while it's still fresh on my mind, I want to say this: Super Mario Sunshine, if given a remake a remastering and a few slight tweaks, would be better than Mario 64.

Recently, I have been playing more games than law should allow. A child being 5 months away is certainly getting me into hyper mode with replaying old games, so I decided to just blaze through Sunshine again. Did it two years ago, but this time, it's different. I'm seeing things about the game that just feel better than they do in 64. The controls are tighter, the music is more interesting, and Isle Delfino itself is just more connected.

The lack of variety in aesthetic used to be something I saw as a negative, but looking at it now, I really appreciate the focus and immersive feel of everything. Being able to see most levels while in another level gives you a feeling of immersion that 64 simply does not. 64 might have a lot more variety in it's art direction, but Sunshine takes one idea and perfects it. The water, 16 years later, is still drop-dead gorgeous. In many ways, it's still the most beautiful surface water ever created in a video game. Gelato Beach's offshore water is a sight to behold. Not many things can compare to it's emerald beauty.

Every single level is just one beautiful, unique vacation spot that combine to create an overall Island. Noki Bay, for example rests around the posterior of the island and truly feels like a cove blocked off from everything else, as it's the only level in the game where you cannot see other areas, and vice versa. Pianta village rests in the valleys of Isle Delfino's Northern mountains, and you can just barely make out a location or two when you hang out on the leaves of it's humongous palm trees. Delfino Plaza is widely thought of amongst Mario fans as being the superior overworld/hub, and a good bit of that has to do with the fact that it truly feels like the sort of place you would first arrive at when going to a tropical island. Overall, 64 has wonderfully unique areas, but Sunshine takes one theme and absolutely nails it.

In terms of play control, Sunshine is the most experimental of all the 3D Mario titles, and trumps 64. Wall jumps still require skill, yet are made more accessible. Whereas bounce-back from walls in Mario 64 is awkward, disorienting, and causes you to lose control of Mario completely, Sunshine conveniently gives you the option to save yourself from dropping further down with the hover nozzle. As to not abuse the feature, the tank-like controls of the hover nozzle are rigid, but reward those who are able to work with them. The squirt nozzle gives you the ability to shoot water in front of you and use it to slide forward at unbelievable speeds, going from one end of most levels to the other in the drop of a hat. Because of the dearth of traversal options, sequence-breaking can occur for veteran players and is rewarding. Don't feel like going through that mess behind the ferris wheel in Pinna Park? Use your somersault/wall-jumping skills with the hover nozzle to hitch a ride on the Ferris Wheel carts. Mario 64's moveset contains helpful moves such as the leap, but the with the hover nozzle, that's easily replaced. A good chunk of 64's moves don't need to be used. Backflips are inferior to somersaults, punches need to be used on bullies, and who really uses the swipe kick? What sounds more fun, taking Sunshine Mario through 64's levels, or 64 Mario going through Sunshines (and hey, let's just say he has FLUDD, as well). Yoshi even adds something to the game, offering a unique platforming control to whichever Shine requires him. It just doesn't seem to me that Mario 64 has Sunshine beaten here.

Musically, both games are gems. Sunshine uses a much more interesting set of instruments and sounds than 64, but also remixes the same theme for it's first 3 major levels. Noki Bay's dreamlike composition is the standout track, and the Sea & Sky compostion from Delfino Plaza's bonus levels is right up there with it. I absolutely adore it's soundtrack, and some of it's remixes of classic Mario tunes are beautiful, well-realized, and even unnerving. 64 rocks it with many classic tunes, as well, particularly Peach's Castle and the light, healing File Select theme.

When it comes to design, the whole process of going through a level in Sunshine feels like an actual series of events culminating in a final reward, whereas Mario 64's levels barely change as you go from Star to Star. For example, in Bob-omb Battlefield (64's first level), the only thing that changes throughout the level are the Bob-ombs and cannon hanging out at the start of the level, whereas in Sunshine, a level like Gelato Beach sees you freeing a Shine tower from the clutches of a giant centipede, beating it up in the next step, then riding the Sand Bird, and finally basking in the peace of the Watermelon Festival. Each level is it's own story, with the final Shine usually being the level at it's most complete and peaceful.

64, on the other hand, has Sunshine beaten in terms of it's overall polish. A lot of Sunshine's smaller areas could have been handled better, and sometimes the camera, controls, or a frustrating mixture of both outright refuse to cooperate. For instance, right behind the Ferris Wheel in Pinna Park is a crushingly frustrating series of rotating platforms (set in place with water squirts from your FLUDD) and climbable fence pathways that takes way too many times than it should to complete because of how god awful the camera is. In terms of the controls being difficult to deal with, the Pachinko section is especially nasty, with Mario flat out not being able to float backwards unless you find a way to do it that almost feels like glitching the game when it shouldn't. Mario 64 doesn't have these moments of the game seeming to have your number because of forces beyond your control, and that's one of the reasons it's so revered to this day. It's a masterclass in polish that can be presented in a museum as a prime example of why Nintendo's games are known for their consistency in containing extra-special polish and a golden touch that most games in the industry don't. 64 takes the cake here.

With that being said, it's hard to argue against 64. It revolutionized 3D games, holds up to this day, and has the variety in level design to back it up. Sunshine, though, just feels better to play. You truly become immersed in Sunshine's island setting, much moreso than in 64, to the point that when you finish playing it, you almost feel as if you're coming back from vacation, and going back makes it feel like you never left. It's truly the summer vacation retreat of the video game world, and something I believe any Mario fan came come back to and find something to have fun with.

Sunshine has it's problems, to be sure. It's mission structure is a bit enclosed, sequence breaking isn't as possible as it is in 64, it's unpolished and rushed in many areas, and being forced out of levels can be annoying. I still don't put it above 64. It's problems can be quite annoying, whereas 64 lacks these problems, replacing them with just a lack of excitement if you finish the game multiple times.

I am enjoying this little limbo I am in over which one is superior, and in the end, I'm sure I'll look back and firmly stand behind 64. I do know one thing, though: I've had a terrific time with both in the past two months.

Overall, it may take me a few more dives, but Sunshine is starting to become a game I prefer to play over 64, and it might be because 64 has been replayed by me nearly 30 times, whereas I have only played through Sunshine 3-4 times. Yet, Nintendo doesn't seem to keen on making it as accessible as 64 is on any of their online services.

What a pity.

[Edited on 9-29-2018 by CamstunPWG187]

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4354
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Medium well

posted on 10-1-2018 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've recently started play H1Z1 on PS4, so far it fucking rules. I never played it on PC, so I can't comment on that aspect, but the game is a lot of fun. It is more similar to PUBG than Fortnite. The game play starts out slow, but picks up quick and I like that you have to think and hide and prepare for a bit before the shit actually hits the fan. Anyways, 10/10 would recommend.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7092
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-3-2018 at 09:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Assassin's Creed Odyssey came out yesterday (for the season pass version). Might be one of the best ones yet (which is saying a lot considering how well they did Origins). It's almost full-RPG now, though the stealth is still there (just assume you're not stealth killing anyone if they're too high a level than you). It's odd how much more fun these games get the further away from technology they get in the time frame, but having large boulders and arrows be the biggest weapon threat you face makes it a bit easier to formulate plans but a lot more necessary to stick to them seeing as how they also know they don't have guns so breaking stealth usually means ten guys (rather people, because this game is actually including women as regular enemies) on you in an instant.

I've also spent the majority of my time raiding ships, sinking them, and watching the sharks swarm the ruins, and also yelling "THIS IS SPARTA~!" (complete with the "~"...it's weird) while 300 Kicking people off things (which is a thing you can do to anyone).

I'd also recommend the Deluxe version if for no other reason than the season pass includes (later down the road) 4K remasters of Assassin's Creed 3 and Liberation.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2129
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-5-2018 at 06:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I never ended up finishing Dead Cells after realizing that, despite getting to the last boss and getting him more than halfway down, it falls into that roguelite problem of being very luck-based. You can have a great run getting by on your skill alone, but if you get cornered by a randomly packed room of the wrong mix of enemies, shit can go south fast and before you know it, your great run gets ended. Still, it's an OUTSTANDING game at it's core and I really think everyone should play it.

So, I moved onto a few new ones and some golden oldies and had a productive 2 months...

Beat Super Mario World using the long route, still as tight as ever. Sometimes, I think it's more playable than Mario 3, but still not as fun or as interesting as Yoshi's Island.

Then I moved onto Zelda: A Link to the Past on the 3DS, because lordy is that picture perfect pixel display FOR REAL on the 3DS. Still love the dungeon designs after all these years, particularly the Ice Palace.

Then I spent a good 2 weeks with Spider-Man. Top 5 GOTY right now for me, and I finished it with about 89% completion on the trophies. Absolutely adored this game. Play it.

Then I went around and finally beat Bioshock. Incredible game, but not as awesome as Infinite. Don't think I'll ever play 2. Don't care. Great ending, too. Harvested them all.

Sunshine...read above.

Beat Pikmin 2. Amazing final boss. Possibly the best final boss ever. Titan Dweevil, boi!

Then I played through Metroid Prime in 10 hours. FANTASTIC. Hadn't played it in 16 years.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4289
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 10-20-2018 at 08:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I picked up Star Wars Battlefront II for really cheap last week and while I have little interest in the multiplayer aspects of the game which were Dice's big selling point, the campaign mode very much made the game worth the $13 I got it for. It pretty much bridges the movies from episode 6-8 and while some fan favourites make the odd level appearance most of the game features original characters... Which makes it a bit cooler IMO. Campaigns not long... maybe 10 hours tops (I think about 15 levels in total) but they nailed all the cool stuff about Star Wars that isn't force related and features a nice mix of third/first person shooter stuff and space battles across a whole bunch of old and new worlds.

Oh, EA and Dice definitely deserved the shit they got over the whole loot crate sales stuff as I beat the game and all the arcade modes and only got about $11k credits to buy any alternate skins or upgrades... most stuff starts at $40k so you'd really have to grind it out for days to get anything just to play on an even level or even enjoy any bonuses to play the game.

<<  33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top