The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: GNR!
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 11-16-2002 at 06:27 PM Edit Post
GNR!

Damn, I can't believe how fast these tickets are selling out, but I managed to grab tickets to Guns N Roses at the Great Western Forum!

Rock on!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 11-17-2002 at 02:05 AM Edit Post
Uh, with all due respect to my left coast counterpart, I think those guys are gonna suck. But, for the sake of arguement, who did they get to replace Slash and the boys?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7901
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-17-2002 at 04:24 PM Edit Post
They have the old guitarist from NIN, as well as Buckethead (who in MY opinion is a step UP from Slash), they have their old keyboard player, and i can't remember who they have for drums and bass...

Oh and if Slash is so great...why is it that he isn't in another band??? Or at least doing work on other people's disc??? I mean Eddie worked well with 3 different leads in Van Halen, Eric Clapton has worked with a bunch of guys and so on and so on....

Slash was great for GNR...but the fact that he was replaced rather easily and hasn't done anything of notice since leaving the band devalues the greatness given to him by some.

shithousepoet
Banned

Posts 216
Registered 5-28-2003

Mood: Being Good

posted on 11-17-2002 at 05:25 PM Edit Post
GNR Rules, i glad that they're back so they can rock out loud, and put them boy bands quiver in fear.

Is Goning to be a good Boy Now.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 11-17-2002 at 06:34 PM Edit Post
Slash is so important becasue he was in the original band! Axl should just come up with a new name for his band instead of trying to push these dudes over on us. And, while Slash may not have done much in the last few year's, he's done a helluva lot more than Axl. Have you seen Rose lately, he looks exactly the same except fatter. Looks like working out is something he definitly AINT done...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-18-2002 at 02:58 AM Edit Post
Slash had his own band for a while called Snakepit. I think Duff McKagan or Gilby Clarke was in that band too. The entire band minus Axl and Dizzy got back together a few months ago to play a benefit show for that drummer who died a while back. Rumor has it they may record an album together.

Buckethead, I wouldn't say is a step up from Slash, but a step to the side. It's not the same style, not nearly as bluesy as Slash, but he's very very talented. Dizzy is still the keyboardist. I don't know who plays bass, and the drummer, last I heard, was the old drummer for the Vandals.

Yeah, Axl looks older and pudgier, but he ain't Mick Jagger old. He's not even 40 yet, is he? And I assume he's laid off the heavy drugs, too, so that probably added to the stomach a bit.

During their last tour Axl pretty much forced the band to give him the right to the name Guns N Roses, probably knowing that he had problems working with and getting along with the band. I don't know what's up with him, and I know he's an ass, but it doesn't make me any less excited to see them play their old shit, and the new stuff as well.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 11-18-2002 at 03:11 AM Edit Post
Let me preface this by saying I at one time was the biggest G 'n R mark in human history. The biggest. Until "The Spaghetti Incident". But their first 4 albums were all unbelievably good in my mind (even to this day). But one thing I never thought was I never thought that Slash was a good guitarist. I mean, he fit into the sound, but he didn't have Clapton, Hendrix, Van Halen talent. If you watched any of their live performances, you would agree. He always sounded like complete shit, and it wasn't the acoustics of the arenas or tuning or whatever. He just wasn't that good, nor innovative.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7901
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 11-18-2002 at 04:04 AM Edit Post
Axl has been the head guy of GNR forever...his lyrics and showmanship were the thing that drew me to GNR...

As for the original stuff...ummmm, Matt Hardy jobber is the original...Mattitude is WAY better. Sure new Coke bombed, but the new X-Men (see Wolverine era) was way cooler then then Scott, Jean, and Co...

Being the original doesn't make something the best...it just makes it the original....

salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-18-2002 at 05:11 AM Edit Post
Well, we'll see if they can pull it off when the next album comes off. Or when I see them in January, whichever comes first.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 11-18-2002 at 06:18 AM Edit Post
Ok, if the original aint the best then how can you compare Appetite for Destruction, Lies and Use Your Illusion to an album that's been expected for years and still has yet to be released?
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7901
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 11-18-2002 at 04:12 PM Edit Post
I'm compairing the live apopearance I saw with Slash, to the two appearances (Rock @ Rio or whatever it was...MTV awards) without Slash...

Plus I've seen Buckethead live and he is amazing...

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 11-19-2002 at 05:50 AM Edit Post
Sounds negligible at best...
markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 11-19-2002 at 09:04 PM Edit Post
One of the guitar players is Tommy Stinson from the Replacements...who I hear nixed a Replacements' reunion to tour with GNR. Fucker...

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 11-21-2002 at 05:45 PM Edit Post
Here's an article with the current lineup. GNR

It's not the trashy LA guys we all grew up headbanging to, but these guys are accomplished musicians.

axls love child
ButtViper

Posts 4
Registered 11-26-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 11-26-2002 at 09:48 PM Edit Post
over here in england axl and the boys played at one of the festivals i was lucky enough to be at, i would rather see a gnr tribute band with axl than with slash. slash was amazing but buckethead copied everything perfectly, you just cant replace Axls vocals, they are gnr. The new songs may not be perfect but 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Madagascar' are a step up from some of the shite on something like the spagetti incident (although the raw power cover rules)
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 12-7-2002 at 06:46 PM Edit Post
They suck, face it.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/music/4686985.htm

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 12-10-2002 at 03:40 AM Edit Post
Well, in typical G'N'R fashion, I guess it's all off. Nice to have a bunch of rioting for them though.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 12-10-2002 at 08:18 AM Edit Post
They better not no-show the LA show. THEY FUCKING LIVE HERE!!!!

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 12-10-2002 at 08:41 AM Edit Post
Dude, the whole tour is cancelled. Someone is sick or something.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 12-10-2002 at 11:54 PM Edit Post
axl

is someone sick or is Axl just Axl?

I was once a huge GNR mark as well, but I grew tired of Axl's bitching, whining and childish shit.

IMO Appetite is amazing, Lies is great! and if they had taken all the good songs from Illusions I and II and put them on one CD it would have been fantastic, but to me there was too much crappy filler.

I think I listened to Spaghetti once. I am just sick of Axl

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 12-11-2002 at 12:10 AM Edit Post
Damn it! I've put myself on live show restriction for the next 6 months in order to save money to buy a new car and to take a week trip to NYC, and the only live show I was letting myself go (out of over 10 I want to go see this winter) to was GNR.

Damn you Axl!

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 12-11-2002 at 06:10 AM Edit Post
Salmon, living in L.A. you should NEVER put yourself on live show restriction!

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12749
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 12-11-2002 at 07:41 AM Edit Post
Considering I went averaged one a week for the last 3 months, I had to. Especially since I want to see live shows when I go to NYC. Especially if I want a new car - hell, I need one. My current one is on it's last legs.

Ok, if it's less then 10 bucks, II'll let myself go.

New Topic New Poll

go to top