The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BREAKING - Arizona Congresswoman Shot In Head At Public Event
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
BREAKING - Arizona Congresswoman Shot In Head At Public Event

Fatally shot in the head at close range apparently:

quote:
Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was fatally shot in the head at close range by a gunman Saturday morning outside a grocery store in Tucson while holding a public event, Fox News has confirmed.

Eight others were shot, including three of the Arizona Democrat's aides, at Giffords' "Your Corner" event held at a Safeway grocery story. A suspect is in custody.

The three staffers who were shot worked out of Giffords' Arizona office.

Giffords has held multiple "Your Corner" events over the past four years, the aide told Fox News, adding that she had held three previous events that this venue before.

In November, Giffords was re-elected to her third term as representative of Arizona's 8th Congressional District. She is married to astronaut Mark Kelly.

No comment from me until more information is released except, if this was done by who I think it was (given the psychotic nature of Arizona politics the last couple of years) then the fucking balloon's just gone up.

[Edited on 1-8-2011 by Paddlefoot]

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just turned on CNN, and they're saying five dead at the scene, but Giffords is surgery right now. Though "gunshot wound to the head" doesn't exactly sound promising. Just completely disgusting on all levels.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The fallout from this is going to be abso-fucking-lutely terrifying. Between this and the ongoing birdfishcrabpocalypse, I'm pretty ready to board up the house and never set foot outside again.

ETA- Yahoo! is now reporting she survived

[Edited on 1-8-2011 by Chris Is Good517]

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do you think Sharon Angle is happy that someone took her up on the suggestion to take "Second Amendment Remedies"?

How are Sarah Palin and the staff of her PAC responding to the fact that someone looked down a gun sight at one of their 20 congressional targets?

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 1-8-2011 at 08:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
TPM's reporting that a Federal judge who had been receiving death threats has also been assassinated at this event.
drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
According to the hospital spokesman, ten people were taken to the hospital. As of 2 p.m. local time, one had died. She was a child of about 9 nine years of age.
AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hospital just confirmed that Rep. Giffords is alive, out of surgery and is in the ICU.

This has been a scary day.

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm amazed I just saw a doctor say he was optimistic about recovery from a through and through gun shot to the head. Modern medecine is amazing.

Meanwhile the twittersphere and FB are all over Palin right now re the "target list". Some guy on fox (I was curious as to how they'd handle it) is already talking about people using this tragedy to their political advantage. As an outsider looking in I strongly suspect this ridiculous tea party nonsense is about to explode all over america.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
America! FUCK YEA!
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For accuracy I editted the topic title to reflect the newer information.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drmuerto
Do you think Sharon Angle is happy that someone took her up on the suggestion to take "Second Amendment Remedies"?

Privately, I have no doubt that she's thrilled.

quote:

How are Sarah Palin and the staff of her PAC responding to the fact that someone looked down a gun sight at one of their 20 congressional targets?

I'm at least moderately surprised Palin hasn't Tweeted "lol now reload" yet.

Here's fucking terrifying link, although I do think in the interest of fairness it's probably a bit premature to blame this on the entire far right/teabag movement, even though I have no doubt that this incident was largely fueled by their rhetoric.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

southermagu
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1214
Registered 1-11-2006
Location Louisville

Mood: APOLOGY!!

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I saw a link to it on Fark and have spent the time since then trying not to think about it.

It's not that I new of Giffords at all. It's just the fear that our nation may be beginning to descend to the level of others, where assassination is an acceptable way to pursue "reform".

Hey guys...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   southermagu 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
MySpace apparently took his page down already. Some who got a look at it before it went dark are claiming that the only thing on it that was expressly political was some ranting about the Federal Reserve and not having a gold/silver backed currency. As such it looks like this prick is falling into the classic lone-nut category as the only 'philosophy' he has shares a few minor points with the Ron-Paultards. The TeaBirchers appear, at the moment, to be mostly blameless for this particular incident. The Palinites are still scrubbing her Twitter and Facebook accounts clean of any of the quasi-eliminationist rhetoric that she'd been vehemently using over the last two years. This sort of shows to me that they're genuinely worried that they finally went too far with the 'don't retreat, reload' rhetoric that they love using these days, and that one of their 'patriots' slipped his leash to engage in some direct action.

[Edited on 1-8-2011 by Paddlefoot]

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
More information on the killer is coming to light, and he definitely does appear to be an isolated whackjob with no clear ties to any political agenda. Still, Rep. Giffords being represented as a crosshair graphic on Palin's website is a heinous coincidence and I'm still really nervous that this party is just getting started.

chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how the crosshairs don't look like actual crosshairs and look more like the Stormfront symbol.

But more accurately, if this were a Muslim bomber, conservatives such as Palin would be railing against any Muslim who spoke against the target for aiding and abetting terrorism. They would be calling for freedom of speech to be curtailed and for Islam to be brought into line with the rest of the world. I bet you they say they aren't to blame for fanning this guy's nuttery though. Road obviously doesn't go both ways.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
TPM's got this up about the asshole's internet activities, including some fucked-up YouTube videos.

Maybe the bigger question will end up being why a state that has a firearms open-carry policy in effect apparently just couldn't do anything to prevent a lunatic like this from walking around in public with a loaded handgun.

Joeldacat
Showstopper

Posts 760
Registered 9-10-2002
Location Savannah, GA

Mood: PK Fired Up

posted on 1-9-2011 at 02:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm pretty surprised there's no video footage or someone's cell footage of the event. Not that I really want to see this, but there are no photos or videos or anything yet. I guess that stuff might exist, but is in police custody.

This is really sad and scary.

X-Box Live: Mr Whale Jr. Message me who you are, though!

When the plane full of wrestlers crashed in the Arctic, he became known as "Nourishing" Rick Rude.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-9-2011 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rather than gun control, I think the big issue to be brought up here is why a Congress person, clearly at a political event, isn't being given a bit more protection. I mean, yeah, five Secret Service agents is overkill, but maybe a reservist in the military, at least? Just any sort of extra, personalized security would have helped out just a little. Because from everything I read, this yahoo just waltzed into a store with a gun hidden and didn't even started firing until he was already inside.

This is the kind of security oversight that someone will learn from, but it's a lesson that shouldn't have to be learned the hard way, and especially not at the cost of some 9 year old kid who could probably give two shits about politics.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 1-9-2011 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Daniel Hernandez, intern, stays by Gabrielle Giffords' side

Daniel Hernandez had been U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' intern for five days when she was shot Saturday outside Tucson.

The junior at the University of Arizona was helping check people in at the "Congress on Your Corner" event when he heard gunfire. He was about 30 feet from the congresswoman. When the shots began, he ran toward them.

"I don't even know if the gunfire had stopped," he said Saturday night as he kept a vigil at the University Medical Center cafeteria, gathered near a TV watching tributes and getting updates.

When the shots began that morning, he saw many people lying on the ground, including a young girl. Some were bleeding. Hernandez said he moved from person to person checking pulses.

"First the neck, then the wrist," he said. One man was already dead. Then he saw Giffords. She had fallen and was lying contorted on the sidewalk. She was bleeding.

Using his hand, Hernandez applied pressure to the entry wound on her forehead. He pulled her into his lap, holding her upright against him so she wouldn't choke on her own blood. Giffords was conscious, but quiet.

Ron Barber, Giffords' district director, was next to her. Hernandez told a bystander how to apply pressure to one of Barber's wounds.

Barber told Hernandez, "Make sure you stay with Gabby. Make sure you help Gabby."

Hernandez used his hand to apply pressure until someone from inside Safeway brought him clean smocks from the meat department. He used them to apply pressure on the entrance wound, unaware there was an exit wound. He never let go of her.

He stayed with Giffords until paramedics arrived. They strapped her to a board and loaded her into an ambulance. Hernandez climbed in with her. On the ride to the hospital, he held her hand. She squeezed his back.

When they arrived at the hospital, Hernandez was soaked in blood. His family brought him clean clothes because the FBI took his for evidence.

He waited at the hospital while she went into surgery. He needed to tell police what had happened. He overheard people walking by talking about how Giffords had died. He also heard this on NPR. Later, he learned she had lived.

"I was ecstatic," he said. "She was one of the people I've looked up to. Knowing she was alive and still fighting was good news. She's definitely a fighter, whether for her own life, or standing up for people in southern Arizona."

The fact that Hernandez was nearby and able to react quickly probably saved Giffords' life, said state Rep. Matt Heinz, D-Tucson, and a hospital physician. He talked to Hernandez at the hospital after the shooting.

Eight hours after the shooting, Hernandez stood with Giffords' friends and staff and told them what had happened. The tall, strong 20-year-old said, "Of course you're afraid, you just kind of have to do what you can."

They hugged and thanked him. Later, he sat with his mom and sisters and told them about his friends and the staffers who had died that day.

"You just have to be calm and collected," he said. "You do no good to anyone if you have a breakdown. . . . It was probably not the best idea to run toward the gunshots, but people needed help."

You'd think he was an Army medic with that type of reaction. Just wow.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-9-2011 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No kidding. I certainly don't think I'd have even a fraction of the composure that guy showed in an event like that.

During my usual website perusing this morning, I saw the Dodgers had released a statement about the young girl who was killed... she was a daughter of one of their scouts.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2011 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
During my usual website perusing this morning, I saw the Dodgers had released a statement about the young girl who was killed... she was a daughter of one of their scouts.

She was also born on 9/11/01 and was even featured in a book about babies born that day. What an unsettling coincidence and a senseless tragedy.

Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2011 at 11:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
More information on the killer is coming to light, and he definitely does appear to be an isolated whackjob with no clear ties to any political agenda. Still, Rep. Giffords being represented as a crosshair graphic on Palin's website is a heinous coincidence and I'm still really nervous that this party is just getting started.

So you're OK with Obama's "violent rhetoric"?

** Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”
** Obama to His Followers: “Get in Their Faces!”
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”
** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
** Obama to Latino supporters: “Punish your enemies.”
** Obama to democrats: “I’m itching for a fight.”

Or the Democratic Leadership Council using bullseyes?

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?contentid=253055&kaid=127&subid=171

Let's at least be consistent with our condemnation.

[Edited on 1-9-2011 by Laner]

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 1-9-2011 at 11:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Perhaps if the Left, instead of the Right, had a long history of "OMG the president is gonna take your guns so you gotta use them at my rally next Saturday!1!" then your examples would hold a lot more weight. Like a lot more weight.

And if the Left had a rise in militant groups that are overtly anti-government, anti-minority, anti-immigrant, than that too would give more weight to your equivalency argument.

And only two of those examples use gun rhetoric. Should we now list all of the Right's use of this rhetoric and have a side by side comparison. I'd love to undertake that in a couple days... just let me know, okay.

[Edited on 1-9-2011 by BBMN]

drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

posted on 1-9-2011 at 11:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
Still, Rep. Giffords being represented as a crosshair graphic on Palin's website is a heinous coincidence and I'm still really nervous that this party is just getting started.

Chris isn't attributing blame nor is he dismissing other angry rhetoric. He is pointing out a coincidence that makes this tragedy all the more unsettling.

Also, this was another version of the infamous map that was on takebackthe20.com yesterday. Please note the uncomfortable parallel to Sharon Angle's rhetoric of "Second Amendment Solutions" (see my post above.)

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/45747385@N00/5341121980/]
I'm not saying that either Palin or Angle wanted or intended for Gifford or anyone else to get shot, nor that somehow their violent rhetoric is worse or better than other people's, but it is unsettling to see it come together like this. The next few weeks will say a lot about the character of these people. Taking down the offending image and the pretending that it didn't happen or that its imagery was never meant to be read as combative doesn't seem like a very responsible response to me, though.

[Edited on 1-10-2011 by drmuerto]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10741
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 1-10-2011 at 12:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For anyone interested here's along and deeply disturbing timeline of right-wing supremacist/racist/anti-government/insurectionist violence. And this is just a list from the middle of 2008.

Nothing happens in a vacuum. There's always a trigger, an overseeing manipulator, and an overwhelming atmosphere of destruction and hate when things like this happen.

quote:
"In that third year of the Kennedy Presidency a kind of fever lay over Dallas County. Mad things happened. Huge billboards screamed “Impeach Earl Warren.” Jewish stores were smeared with crude swastikas. Fanatical young matrons swayed in public to the chant, “(Adlai) Stevenson’s going to die–his heart will stop, stop, stop and he will burn, burn burn!” Radical Right polemics were distributed in public schools; Kennedy’s name was booed in classrooms; junior executives were required to attend radical seminars. Dallas had become the mecca for medicine-show evangelists of the National Indignation Convention, the Christian Crusaders, the Minutemen, the John Birch and Patrick Henry societies . . .

In Dallas a retired major general flew the American flag upside down in front of his house, and when, on Labor Day of 1963, the Stars and Stripes were hoisted right side up outside his own home by County Treasurer Warren G. Harding–named by Democratic parents for a Republican President in an era when all Texas children were taught to respect the Presidency, regardless of party–Harding was accosted by a physician’s son, who remarked bitterly, “That’s the Democrat flag. Why not just run up the hammer and sickle while you’re at it?"

- William Manchester, Death of a President.

quote:
Frank McGee (Narrator): “Have we had time to become, or do we care to become something other than a collection of irresponsible individuals, having in common little more than a toleration, if not an endorsement of violence?”

Arthur Schlesinger Jr. “We are today the most frightening people on this planet. The ghastly things we do to our own people, the ghastly things we do to other people, these must at least compel us to look searchingly at ourselves and our society before hatred and violence rushes on to more evil, and finally tear our nation apart. . . . we cannot blame the epidemic of murder at home on deranged and solitary individuals, separate from the rest of us. For these individuals are plainly weak and suggestible men stamped by our society with a birth rite of hatred and a compulsion toward violence. We must recognize, I believe that the evil is in us, that it springs from some dark intolerable tension in our history and our institutions. It is almost as though some primal curse had been fixed on our nation. We are a violent people with a violent history, and the instinct for violence has seeped into the bloodstream of our national life.”

- Second Sunday radio series, NBC News, March 3, 1969

quote:
Pima County Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik offered an emotional, angry assessment of the state of America in the wake of the shootings in Arizona, saying that two of his close friends -- Ms. Giffords and Judge John Roll - were among the victims.

Mr. Dupnik called the shooting a "very sad day for Tucson" and a "horrendous, horrendous, senseless, unbelievable crime." And then he blamed the crime on the rhetoric -- presumably political rhetoric -- in the country.

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government," he said. "The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on this country is getting to be outrageous and unfortunately Arizona has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry."

Mr. Dupnik said it is time for the country to "do a little soul searching."

He added: "The vitriolic rhetoric that we hear day in and day out from people in the radio business and some people in the TV business ... This has not become the nice United States that most of us grew up in."

Later, he said: "It's not unusual for all public officials to get threats constantly, myself included. That's the sad thing about what's going on in America: pretty soon we're not going to be able to find reasonable decent people willing to subject themselves to serve in public office."

-New York Times, January 8, 2011

How this is so fucking difficult for some people to understand remains a mystery to me. But there are none so blind as those who choose not to see.

[Edited on 1-10-2011 by Paddlefoot]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top