The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 WWE Hall of Fame Thread
AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

Mood: Cold

posted on 1-7-2011 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
2011 WWE Hall of Fame Thread

I do not start threads very often but with the Royal Rumble coming up I figured we might as well have a prediction thread before they actually start announcing inductees. I'd like to see predictions kept realistic.
My predictions:

Jake Roberts- WM is in Georgia, Jake is a big name who is from Georgia and his acceptance speech would either be epic good or epic bad.

Arn Anderson- WCW name who I believe is still employed by WWE as an agent. Respected veteran, would be an awesome speech.

Sunny- Representing the divas.

Shawn Michaels- The headliner. Loyal to WWE and Vince during the Monday Night War, would be another epic speech, if he actually stays off TV until then seeing him back in WWE would be an added attraction.

Other Possibilities:
The Armstrong Family- They put the Von Erichs in when they were in Texas so why not?

Ultimate Warrior- It seems they came close last year, money might still end up being an issue.

Sting- Everything depends on if he is actually done with TNA or not.

Rick Rude- Deserving candidate but I'm not sure who would accept, did he have any kids?

Elizabeth- Same issue as Rude, not sure who would accept for her since i seem to remember reading somewhere that her mother dislikes the wrestling business.

Honkytonk Man- This is one that either comes down to money or personal conflicts.

Randy Savage- To be realistic, if he isn't in yet he will probably not make it in at all.

Trish Stratus- Will probably get in after Sunny, I think she would be best served waiting until 'Mania goes back to Canada.

Owen Hart- They would have to work hard to avoid pissing Martha off again and he is another one who might be best served to be inducted in Canada.

Legion of Doom- One of the best known tag teams in the last 30 years.

Fabulous Freebirds- Big in the Southern territories and Michael Hayes works for the WWE.

Demolition- Don't know how well they get along with Vince. WWE may want to put their own creation in first which might keep LOD and the Freebirds out.

Those are just some guesses off the top of my head, discuss, debate, and predict.

Edited to take the "Prediction" out of the thread title now that we actually have inductees.

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by AriestheRam]

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

For some odd reason I am on Twitter. You can follow me @BPF32781

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-7-2011 at 01:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As much as I think Sting deserves to be in a wrestling HOF, it just wouldn't seem right for him to go into the WWE HOF. Yea, WWE owns the rights to WCW, but Sting never technically worked for WWE. It just seems odd to have a guy who never worked for the company get inducted into the company's HOF.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

OO Wrestling Draft 13 Signup

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10654
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're predictions list is fairly solid, especially with Arn and HBK; if Jake gets in WWE'll probably have someone sit on him for at least a month beforehand just to ensure that he's even able to get to the ceremony, much less make a speech. But not Sunny. I'd bet that Trish (and then Lita, and then Stacy Keibler) gets in long before Sunny will. I doubt WWE wants the public embarassment of a Sunny induction speech being trainwrecked by all the laughter and handjob jokes racing through the crowd while she's at the podium. All Sable has to do is say a private 'sorry' to Vince for all the anti-WWE badmouthing she's done and I think that even she would get in way before Sunny does.

I'd lean towards the Freebirds this year as well. But at least one or two spots will still have to go towards some of the real old-timers who served loyally as Vince Sr.'s favourites/lackeys. Most people probably won't even know who they are but it seems to be a tradition that they still have to be admitted every year.

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by Paddlefoot]

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-7-2011 at 02:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
It just seems odd to have a guy who never worked for the company get inducted into the company's HOF.

It wouldn't be totally unprecedented. They have guys like Verne Gagne, Gorgeous George and a few others in there who never worked for the company.

Rick Rude absolutely deserves to be in. If they can't get Sting, and they want to put a WCW-centric guy in since they'll be in Atlanta, they could always go with Goldberg.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

zombiecraig
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 59
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Chicago

Mood: YUM!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I could see Jim Crockett going in as a promoter. Jim Barnett and Ted Turner could be possible, but seem much less likely.
AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't think there is any chance in hell that Ted Turner goes into the WWE HOF, especially while Vince is alive.

My take on Goldberg is that he wasn't around long enough to be a hall of famer. The same category that Brock Lesnar will fall into unless he comes back. That being said, Pete Rose and William Perry are in the hall and both were around significantly less time than Goldberg, so he'll probably get in.

Speaking of Rose and Perry, how long has it been since there was a new inductee into the celebtiry wing? Shatner a year or two ago? Are there any celebrities left that they could put in? Maybe Donald Trump?

Have you noticed that in every group of people there is a guy who just knows shit? He has no explanation for how he knows it or any reason to know it, he just knows shit. Be careful around that guy, he is thinking of ways to kill you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   AriestheRam 's Aim   AriestheRam 's Yahoo
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AriestheRam
Are there any celebrities left that they could put in?

Is everyone mad here?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7386
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If Vince wants Brock to ever come back, inducting his wife into the HOF (Sable) is probably going to be the first step. Also, this has to be the year Jake Roberts gets in: its in his neck of the woods and, on top of that, WWE's been using him constantly in their video games for the better part of five years, so the least they could do is induct him, though it being in Atlanta probably means zilch since Wrestlemania was in Chicago and the Road Warriors didn't get inducted.

And I get the feeling Sting will be in the Hall, if not this year, then sooner rather than later. He's never bad-mouthed WWE even though he's never worked for WWE, and is undoubtedly the guy WWE would go out of their way to get if they could, since he is, for all intents and purposes, the last big name they could bring in as a, I believe the term is "markout moment".

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

chewey
And I am AWESOME

Posts 142
Registered 6-17-2008
Location Washington, DC

Mood: Marchie Archie!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 03:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually, I heard that Mr. T rejected an offer to be inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame. His reasoning? Because he doesn't want to be in any hall of fame that Pete Rose is a part of.

If we're going WCW, I think Ron Simmons is a likely bet, and I'd wager on JBL inducting him. Vader would be cool too.

"Don't matter how many times you get burnt, you just keep doin' the same."
--Bodie, HBO's The Wire

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2011 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My guess would be in your gonna put in AA, you're going to want Flair to do it, and with his present active status with TNA I don't think we're going to get that.... Unless the WWE continues its new practice of acknowledging TNA exists like they did with Foley's new book.

I like the Freebirds for this year, but only if they get Christopher Lambert to induct them with Queen music playing in the background

I don't know how clean or not Jake the Snake has been of late, so I see that one kind of playing a role in whether or not he goes in.

I definitely think one of the more modern era ladies goes in this year be it Sunny or Sable... My guess is Sunny this year, and save Sable for next year if the whole Brock vs Taker return match happens at Mania.

Goldberg was making some noise in the late summer about wanting to do either a small run or a big match because his kids are old enough now that he wants them to see what he did. The WWE has enough heel's laying around right now that they could probably set up something high enough on the card, but throw away enough that it wouldn't hurt any long term plans if they wanted to bring BG back for a month of TV, the mania match, and then the HOF. My preference is even though he's a face, I'd go with Orton as that would keep Orton out of the title picture hopefully.

I really don't know what to say if that's true about Mr. T not wanting to go in the HOF if Pete Rose is in there.... Otherwise the celebrity front is a little shy on potential... Trump could work, or I don't know if she's in or not, but in continuing with the whole women's division thing is Cindy Lauper in the HOF?

I'd maybe try and keep Owen and Trish for a year when they are in Canada to headline the entrants into the HOF. Vancouver just had the olympic's this last year so they probably now have the kind of venue that could host WM, and aside from Seattle a few years ago they haven't done much out in the North West really... unless you wanted to go with Calgary to host a WM?

JB KING
Showstopper

Posts 948
Registered 12-4-2009
Location Oxnard, CA

Mood: SAY CHEESE!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 09:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Keeping within a Atlanta WCW theme.

Arn Anderson is a must. Even if Flair cant induct him.

Ron Simmons, WCW champ and one of the few guys backstage without a HOF logo on him.

With what I saw between Edge and Mysterio at bragging rights, I'll go with Stiener Bros. Rick and Scott were sucessful in both companies as a tag team. And if Scott gets a mic then im all for it. They have a better shot than Harlem Heat anyway.

When I think of WCW I also think of Lex Luger, is he walking by now? He does deserve consideration.

Owen probably wont get inducted as long as his widow is alive. So unless Bret can do something I will forever call Owen a pipe dream, even more than Savage.

And I still beleive that hell will freeze over and Savage will be the headliner. I remember earlier im 2010 that hes been promoting WWE old school action figures, the death of his father, re-married and is doing well. I say he has a chance.

Warrior has history with WCW and since Vince will promote anything that beat Hogan, why not.

Is Virgil in the HOF? Thats someone we can throw in.

Ill think of more later

Two time Winner for 2010 Breakthrough Poster of the Year Award. You read that right.
I also win shit without having to do ANYTHING! (2012's Jackass of the Year)
XBL Gamertag: JB KING

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4557
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2011 at 10:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Savage is kind of an anomaly when it comes to the WWE as multiple former employee's who have all voiced their complaints about Vince have all pretty much say that the guy will always put business first if there's money to be made, or if it helps the product... but then we have Savage who has all but vanished from WWE history.

I mean I could see someone being a shit backstage, or holding Vince up for more money being a huge black mark on a guy being welcomed back, but I'm also fairly certain others have done this and wound up being welcomed back. It kind of makes you wonder about that whole Stephanie and Macho man rumour.....

I can see HBK going in, but I just don't know if I want to see it yet. Obviously the guy's a lock, but having been so active these last few years and only just retired at Mania last year I think putting a bit of distance between then and his entry would'nt hurt simply because it would seem like a much bigger deal as opposed to when's shawn going to come back?

That being said, unless they can nab some huge name it wouldn't suprise me if HBK is their default plan.

Also, I know someone touched on this above somewhere, but I could see Ted Turner being put in the HOF.... maybe not while he's alive, but the whole WCW going mainstream and the Monday night wars are huge for wrestling history. Turner is a well know humanitarian so it would also be good ink for the WWE.

You could say some of the same things about Bischoff one day in regards to his place in history, but that one just seems even more remote.

My head actually hurst trying to understand Vince's batshit logic or lack thereof....

standrir
rOOkie

Posts 49
Registered 5-3-2010

Mood: Evolution Inc.

posted on 1-7-2011 at 04:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you want to put in Arn without Flair's involvement, put in Tully as well and have J.J. induct them both.

I think Sting or Macho Man HAS to be the headliner. With a lackluster class last year (Dibiase aside) they almost have to make up for it. Looking at wikipedia, the fact that the Road Warriors, Steiners, Rude, Honkey Donkey Man, and about a dozen others are really shows how little the WWE takes this seriously.

My list of Seven:
Arn Anderson
Tully Blanchard (both inducted by J.J. or by Steamboat or something like that)

For a female I'll go with either Sable or Trish as almost no one else really makes sense.

Tag team HAS to be either the Road Warrior or the Steiners.

For the promoter/backstage/whatever guy I'll second Zombiecraig who said Jim Crockett. Based on the location and his work on the WCW DVD, he'd be a cool inductee.

The last two would ideally be Sting and Savage. If you want to wait and have Savage headline alone later or you can't get Sting, I think Rick Rude or Jake Roberts would work here.

Of course we're all putting time into this and Vince will probably just induct himself with Ted Turner doing the speech just because he's that much of an egomaniac.

"Tell your story walking bitch." -Scott Steiner

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10654
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 1-7-2011 at 05:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If the WWE wants to keep the family friendly imagery going then it would be logical to assume that the picks are going to be the least controversial as possible. They wouldn't be able to blot out anyone from the Attitude Era because it would eliminate too much of their own history. But anyone who was known for anything too sleazy or potentially scandalous outside of WWE or in their own personal lives will probably be eliminated from contention for the foreseeable future. This means that a Sable or Sunny are at the back of the admission bus, far behind Trish, because of the Playboy appearances and other topless/nude media moments. That WWE made a lot of hay off of their former association with Playboy is kind of irrelevant to the corporate image of themselves that they're trying to project today.

Owen's a bit of a different take though. Not only will Martha Hart not relent and let them admit him, WWE themselves probably don't want to re-open anything to do with the worst tragedy in their entire company history. It goes back again to what others here at OO have said numerous times in reference to this subject, in that if Owen ever does get in it'll be through a blanket admission for the entire Hart Family.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 1-7-2011 at 06:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by standrir
If you want to put in Arn without Flair's involvement, put in Tully as well and have J.J. induct them both.

JJ isn't in either so why not induct the rest of the ["classic"] horsemen: Ole, Arn, Tully and JJ.

Then how about
Rude;
Jake if he's sober;
Mike Rotundo (as a filler); and
as a woman's inductee how about Alundra Blayze/Madusa? If VInce doesn't go for that then michelle mccool.

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1669
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2011 at 07:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Sting deserves it. But I also think he shouldn't be the headliner. I suspect that a lot of the current WWE fanbase doesn't know who he is, and a small minority know him as the shirt-wearing old guy from TNA. Sure, "we" all can remember him in his prime, but Joe Fan might not.

My semi-realistic ballot:

Randy Savage
Sting
Jake Roberts
Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard
Barry Windham
Ron Simmons
Sunny
The Crockett family

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

posted on 1-7-2011 at 07:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is Yokozuna in?
JB KING
Showstopper

Posts 948
Registered 12-4-2009
Location Oxnard, CA

posted on 1-8-2011 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
-- The Sun has posted an article claiming that WWE is plotting to swoop the multi-time World Champion from TNA Wrestling. They say with WrestleMania taking place in WCW's former home of Atlanta this year, Vince McMahon wants Sting to be a part of the show and inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Shit just got real.

Two time Winner for 2010 Breakthrough Poster of the Year Award. You read that right.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 1-8-2011 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knuckleballschwartz
Is Yokozuna in?

No, though I can't see why they wouldn't put him in someday. Bob Backlund is another guy who probably should have gone in long ago, and you'd have to think he'll get in there sometime soon.

If they do get Sting, I wonder if they'll want him to work a match at Mania, or even a few matches leading up to that.

Is everyone mad here?

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
If they do get Sting, I wonder if they'll want him to work a match at Mania, or even a few matches leading up to that.

If they get sting you'd have to think they'd sit on Taker v. Kane til summerslam and go with the story of the Stinger coming in to try his hand at the only thing neither he nor anyone else in wrestling has achieved ie breaking the streak. If they do that they can raid their library to put together vignettes telling his story and what not to introduce him as some sort of superhero to the wwe kids who've never heard of him

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8293
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
See, I don't like that idea at all. What would be the point of bringing Sting in, only to job him out to the Undertaker? I can't even imagine Sting would agree to that. The flip side of that would be him winning, which would be even worse, since the guy who breaks the streak* should be someone young who gets a huge rub from it... not a dude at the end of his career.

*Assuming it ever gets broken, and I don't feel that it should.

Is everyone mad here?

AriestheRam
Showstopper

Posts 566
Registered 3-27-2003
Location Madison, WI

posted on 1-8-2011 at 09:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would have no problem if they wanted to induct Sting but I don't think they should try to get him to wrestle a match, especially something as high profile as an undertaker match would be.

Punker, good call on Backlund. Now that I think about it I kind of wonder why he isn't in already.

JB KING
Showstopper

Posts 948
Registered 12-4-2009
Location Oxnard, CA

posted on 1-8-2011 at 10:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's a damn shame HBK retired, because Shawn vs Sting is seriously one of the last crossover dream matches left I'd love to see.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7386
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-9-2011 at 12:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know who I always thought Sting would get along with? John Cena. Since Sting is really the last pure "good guy" in wrestling (didn't his "heel run" in TNA ultimately wind up with him really being a face and the faces really being heels?), and WWE really wants Cena to be accepted by everyone, you could do a lot worse than that pairing.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009
Location Somewhere along I-74 in Illinois

Mood: Zombie

posted on 1-9-2011 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How about Benoit? Maybe Woman could induct him... too soon?

But seriously, how about ... Jericho? When he _DOES_ come back, he can then incorporate being a HoFer into his promo routine.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wings76fan 's Yahoo
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top