The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: USA Network Bringing Back Tough Enough
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 10-18-2010 at 07:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
USA Network Bringing Back Tough Enough

From rajah.com --

quote:
Deadline.com is reporting that the USA Network is close to ordering WWE's Tough Enough.

The story notes that revival of Tough Enough came together separately from USA's current efforts in charting unscripted programming and stems from its relationship with.

Tough Enough, which features contestants competing for a WWE contract, aired on MTV for three seasons. It moved to UPN in 2004 where it aired for a season as part of SmackDown. It is expected to "run in tandem" with Monday Night Raw

There were some good things with Tough Enough the first time around, and other things that could go away. But I think if they look at what they did well with NXT, maybe they can incorporate the best of both into a new Tough Enough show that could be pretty good.

Hopefully they bring in real trainers for this, rather than using Skinner

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 10-18-2010 at 08:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I enjoyed tough enough but it felt amateurish. I think it could be much better than NXT ultimately. Ideally I'd like to see a show that fell somewhere between NXT and the original tough enough ie something that built kayfabe characters but also had the real life aspect. Basically a tough enough but with people who can already wrestle/cut promos.
SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 10-18-2010 at 08:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The one thing that sucked about the MTV version of Tough Enough was too much focus on the drama and hook ups, if they do it like Ultimate Fighter this may be rather good cause the training part of Tough Enough was pretty cool.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8906
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 10-18-2010 at 08:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Refresh my failing memory....

Did we know Bob Holly was a dickface before Tough Enough?

Was it Tough Enough that raised our collective awareness of him being one, or did it merely solidify and reinforce his status of supreme dickface?

Don't Mess With Texas

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-18-2010 at 08:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tough Enough 1 was just people trying to be wrestlers and a lot of them realizing that they didn't want to be. Namely, only the two black guys got eliminated (the fat guy who didn't know about wrestling, said as much, and got hated on by Taz for the majority of the show was the standout), three or four people quit, and four of the five finalists wound up getting jobs anyways (Josh Matthews, Nidia, Maven, and Chris Nowitski).

Tough Enough 2 was the one that was very MTV-esque, but that was mainly because Jackie Gayda hooked up with one of the guys in the hot tub and then they tried to "Russo" the end of the show by creating stupid controversy in naming the two chicks winners over Kenny King. That had Hardcore as a trainer, but he actually seemed to be a good guy with a tough exterior because he took that Hawk kid under his wing (and was legitimately upset when they went to Africa and found out he got eliminated).

Tough Enough 3 was when Hardcore came off like a dick and beat the shit out of the kid that wound up winning (and later finding out he had a brain tumor) for no apparent reason. (Sidenote: according to Wikipedia, Daivari was one of the guys auditioning that didn't make it).

You know, if they go with the reality TV vibe instead of the stupid vibe they got for NXT, this could work. I was actually interested in the show when it was new.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 10-18-2010 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Am I right to assume Regal should be first in line to fill the Taz/Holly(wasn't Al Snow part of one of these?) slots on the new show? Also, does this have anything to do with Jillian heading down to FCW to start training Divas? Was that a way to find one of the only established Divas who would actually be capable of training other women?
MadStepDad
Banned

Posts 1001
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Broken City MA State

Mood: HIGH

posted on 10-18-2010 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I actually JUST saw Tough Enough Season 1 on DVD in the used bin at Newbury Comics for $10. Didn't buy it though (because it was the Maven - Nidia season). I remember watching it live. What was the name of the little cute girl that drunkenly kissed Maven? Anybody remember? She was really cute. I totally would have bought the Miz season, just because. But I remember watching all the seasons and being like "wow that kid John is SICK!" cuz he did a standing shooting star press. Morrison & the Miz are really the only success stories out of that show, if you don't count Kenny King on the independent scene. Maven and Nidia fell off. And Hawk taught us all how to eat blueberry waffles with peanut butter in the middle like a sandwich.
Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown

Mood:

posted on 10-18-2010 at 09:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
What was the name of the little cute girl that drunkenly kissed Maven? Anybody remember? She was really cute.

Jesse?

quote:
And Hawk taught us all how to eat blueberry waffles with peanut butter in the middle like a sandwich.

Ah yes, the Hawkwich.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-18-2010 at 09:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laner

Jesse?

I think Jesse was in season two. I remember Taylor from season one being pretty hot. She was banging Brian Kendrick for a while, I believe.

Speaking of Jesse, I think she's the one who pretended to have a WWE job and hung around backstage for a while until she was caught.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

MadStepDad
Banned

Posts 1001
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Broken City MA State

Mood: HIGH

posted on 10-18-2010 at 10:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Taylor! That's the one! Season one, made out with Maven while being drunk. Whatever happened to her?

Oh - here's the answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Matheny

EDIT

Holy crap, is this true???

August 2008: Taylor Matheny married her long time boyfriend and WWE wrestler Brian Kendrick...

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by MadStepDad]

C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 10-18-2010 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Remember that poor kid who tried to call his hot girl crush from his hometown and tried to lure her out to the house when he won something and she flat turned him down. I think the kids name was Scott. It was on the John Morrison year.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong.

The "in the house" seasons were much better than the during Raw season.

I remember liking Justice Smith the last season. IIRC he was offered a developmental deal but said it wasn't enough money.

Last time I saw Maven, he was hawking wares on the home shopping network.

I don't know about using green as grass newbies though, because it takes too long to get them ring ready. Maybe use greener developmentals - kids with ring training, but not hit FCW television yet.

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by C.MontgomeryPunk]

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 10-18-2010 at 10:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadStepDad
I actually JUST saw Tough Enough Season 1 on DVD in the used bin at Newbury Comics for $10. Didn't buy it though (because it was the Maven - Nidia season). I remember watching it live. What was the name of the little cute girl that drunkenly kissed Maven? Anybody remember? She was really cute. I totally would have bought the Miz season, just because. But I remember watching all the seasons and being like "wow that kid John is SICK!" cuz he did a standing shooting star press. Morrison & the Miz are really the only success stories out of that show, if you don't count Kenny King on the independent scene. Maven and Nidia fell off. And Hawk taught us all how to eat blueberry waffles with peanut butter in the middle like a sandwich.

The Miz season is just about six months of SD episodes though.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3498
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 10-19-2010 at 07:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was that the season Daniel Puder was in? They only did one season within Smackdown, right?

I remember the tryouts from season 1 - a long line of guys getting in the ring to prove they were fit enough to train. The amount of people that couldnt even run the ropes without gassing was hilarous.

Who was the fat guy that was kinda in charge in a mentor way? I want to say his name was John?

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 10-19-2010 at 07:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite

I remember the tryouts from season 1 - a long line of guys getting in the ring to prove they were fit enough to train. The amount of people that couldnt even run the ropes without gassing was hilarous.

That and the guy doing the sling shot flip over the ropes into the audition ring and someone (taz?) bitching him out about health and safety.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 10-19-2010 at 08:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite

Who was the fat guy that was kinda in charge in a mentor way? I want to say his name was John?

Wasn't that Hugh Morrus - real name Bill DeMott? Or am I way off-base?

edit: Apparently, I don't remember too well. I guess it was John "Big" Gaburick.

[Edited on 10/19/10 by Thom]

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8906
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 10-19-2010 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yep , it was "Big".

Don't Mess With Texas

Shao Khan
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 1-11-2006
Location Moab, Ut.

Mood: FOOTBALL!!!

posted on 10-20-2010 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore

Speaking of Jesse, I think she's the one who pretended to have a WWE job and hung around backstage for a while until she was caught.

Are you serious? Then again, with the number of people roaming around backstage it'd be difficult to spot one without a job.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 10-20-2010 at 07:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The only info I found on her said that was worked for WWE and TNA for a while... maybe it wasn't her after all. I could have sworn I heard about some Tough Enough castoff doing that, though.

Is everyone mad here?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12688
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-20-2010 at 08:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was Lisa

I don't remember who she is, though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 10-20-2010 at 08:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ahhh, thanks Thai. I knew it was one of the girls. Man, she sounds fucking nuts... I didn't know she did all that other stuff like busting up the house and acting crazy in LAX.

Is everyone mad here?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12688
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-20-2010 at 08:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have no recollection of what she looks like. Was she cute?
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 10-20-2010 at 08:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadStepDadMorrison & the Miz are really the only success stories out of that show, if you don't count Kenny King on the independent scene.

Didn't Matt Morgan come from Tough Enough?

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 10-20-2010 at 08:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Morgan was a season two guy. He impressed JR when he kept asking for more opportunities to do a "kip up", then tore up his knee mid-show. Meanwhile, John Morrison also auditioned Season 2 and didn't make it onto the show because he didn't know what a "Spin-a-roonie" was (and then procceeded to "duplicate and elaborate" it by throwing in way too many spins and flips).

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8906
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 10-20-2010 at 09:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I have no recollection of what she looks like. Was she cute?

http://youtu.be/RBQelbAk2pk

Start at 1:45 mark. She's at like 1:47.

Don't Mess With Texas

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 10-20-2010 at 10:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Boogeyman auditioned too for the $1m Season(which was pointless because the only criteria the audience had to judge the contestants on was those SD Segments they did which were apparently rigged anyway, going by the report about how one got in trouble for showing up Kurt Angle in one), and wasn't he dismissed because he lied about his age...only to get a job anyway?

[Edited on 20-10-10 by Stu]

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top