The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 9, 2010)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-9-2010 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 9, 2010)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to RAW (airing August 2, 2010) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on RAW: what's buttering my corn cob tonight is the announced main event of John Cena and Bret Hart vs. Chris Jericho and Edge, with Nexus as Lumberjacks... and no, not really because it's "Bret Hart's first match on RAW in 13 years" (since he's not likely to do a whole lot), but because of how this could all tie together really nicely heading into the 7-on-7 SummerSlam match with Team Cena vs. Team NXT, with bonus add-on potential of this jump-starting the now-stagnant tag division...

Right now, that 7-on-7 is actually a 7-on-5, since Edge and Jericho walked out on Cena to form their own little partnership last week; and it might even be 7-on-4, since Bret's a legend and all, but he's not exactly an able-bodied grappler; make your own jokes up about Khali being a giant waste of space, and it's almost like Cena, Johnny Morrison, and R-Truth are up against Nexus alone... which is fine, since outside of Wade Barrett, the guys in Nexus aren't exactly mega stars and bastions of credibility, either... still, it gives WWE options tonight in this tag match main event: (1) Edge/Jericho could somehow be wooed back into the fold, depending on how Nexus behaves at ringside, (2) Bret could once again be beaten up by Nexus, making him unable to compete in the SummerSlam match, leaving yet another opening, and (3) when you start talking about openings on Team Cena, you immediately think of current Unified Tag Champs the Hart Dynasty...

Which all leads up to (4) coming up with not only a final line-up for Team Cena, but using this as a springboard to set up a Harts vs. Edge/Jericho tag title feud that will allow Edge/Jericho to resume brand-hopping this fall (just in time for SmackDown to move to SyFy, and be in need of some extra star power)... you could have the Hart Dynasty simply step in and replace Edge/Jericho, or (more to my liking) you have Bret step aside (not taking a beating from NXT this time, but just saying "I'm a weak link on this team, so I'm out") and pair that off with Khali getting the hell out of the picture, and have the Hart Dynasty replace them AND have Edge/Jericho come back onto the team as a last ditch move to fend off Nexus... thus, Team Cena goes into SummerSlam 7-strong AND with Bret as their manager/mentor, but of course, in-fighting between Edge/Jericho and the Harts will cause problems, and leave Superman Cena fighting short-handed, allowing for mucho drama at the PPV, while leading to tag title matches we will care about after the PPV... we'll see what they do tonight, but there are lots of possibilities...

Everything else: Sheamus is still your WWE Champion, and Randall Orton is still your #1 Contender, and I still don't really care... Miz is the US Champ and holder of the MitB Briefcase, and has been screwing with both Orton and Sheamus in recent weeks, so perhaps he can be the straw that stirs the otherwise flat, flavorless Manhatten that is the RAW World Title picture... Melina has finally returned, and is now fixin' to get herself a piece of Alicia Fox and the Diva Title... Santino/Kozlov haven't done much of anything the past few weeks, and that makes me sad... the Mysterious Virtual GM will no doubt still remain anonymous, while dropping in catchphrases of superstars past, which Michael Cole will clearly be reading off of a note card, instead of off a computer screen, which annoys the hell out of me; seriously, how hard would it be to put up a document in MS Word for Cole to look at, instead of having him blatantly reading off a cue card well below the screen?... that's all I can think of regarding tonight, as it goes without saying that my attention will likely be diverted away from the rasslin' and more towards the Battle for NL Central Supremacy, as the Beloved Cincinnati Reds put their 2 game division lead on the line in a 3 game series against the Hated St. Louis Cardinals beginning tonight; this is the most important series the Redlegs have played since 1999, and you better believe I'll be keeping tabs...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-9-2010 at 10:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The beginning 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes of Raw each week are starting to become a guilty pleasure of mine. This Nexus thing has me intrigued, and I can't help from tuning in when I know my DVR is getting "Always Sunny" over on Comedy Central (side note: putting Always Sunny on Comedy Central was the smartest thing they could have done, because I kept missing shows and could only watch irregularly, while this has not just caught me up, but guaranteed I'll be putting time aside to at least DVR the new episodes if not watch when they come on).

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wonder if the Summer Slam match might be a way to clear out some of the dead wood in Nexus, by having the group punish the 1 or 2 guys that wind up taking a pin.

Excluding Barrett, I think Tarver's got kind of a unique look with the face bandana, and Gabrielle seems to be a a good work in progress. I guess since Otunga's got celeb(?) connections we'll have to suffer through with him. Aside from calling the one guy black Cena, I don't know who the rest really are, and that's the WWE's fault. My guess is it will be less than a year before we see at least one of them get future endeavoured..

As much as I think the next group of NXT guys should be bound for SD, I think they as a whole seem to be a more talented, and stand out group, so unless you were going just shorten the NXT group, or bring in legit WWE guys (the mastermind or an enforcer type guy), I think you could round out a few spots with some of these guys.

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by Flash]

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by Flash]

GordusMaximus
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1223
Registered 7-26-2006
Location Chicago

Mood: Happy.

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seriously. always sunny was/is the best show I may have ever seen. I recently bought the first four seasons on Amazon for $40 total. best purchase ever

I remember Chris Benoit.

Www.facebook.com/thecurtaincall

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   GordusMaximus 's Aim   GordusMaximus 's Yahoo
wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009
Location Somewhere along I-74 in Illinois

Mood: Zombie

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That look on Alicia's face was pretty funny. It clearly said, "damn it! My 15 seconds of fame are over."

ETA: Someone needs to tell Morrison to lose the Punk beard immediately. Buy that man a razor!

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by wings76fan]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wings76fan 's Yahoo
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Beards are a precursor to a heel turn. This is good news.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I figured out who Sheamus reminds me of: Mr. Hyde from the 1982 classic Jekyll and Hyde, Together Again

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   wings76fan 's Yahoo
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad to see WWE still making good use of 1950's-style swimsuits for the Divas. Apparently a bathing suit that bears a girl's midriff is not "PG."

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Glad to see WWE still making good use of 1950's-style swimsuits for the Divas. Apparently a bathing suit that bears a girl's midriff is not "PG."

I can't help but wonder if Trish, Tori, Stacy, and Sable died a little on the inside tonight.

C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Call me a sucker, but I'm half expecting Danielson to be part of Team Cena on Sunday.

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

wings76fan
Fella

Posts 350
Registered 1-2-2009

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.MontgomeryPunk
Call me a sucker, but I'm half expecting Danielson to be part of Team Cena on Sunday.

Actually, it'd be an interesting twist to have Miz about to make his decision, then Danielson come out in an N shirt and say, "remember me?" then take out Miz.

Thought they were going to recall continuity and have Bret say comment how he won the belt off of Miz.

I'll give it a 3.3 rating. The crowd was really into the show and that really helped it seem more exciting. Not sure it's enough to sell me on SS though.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

You're a sucker.

That was by far the best ending of Raw they've done since the first Nexus attack. I got goosebumps.

Also, I haven't seen a WWE crowd going that insane in I-don't-know-how-long.

Perfectly-executed closing segment.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know i'm probly going to get flamed for this, but I thought Tamina looked pretty tasty tonight.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Beards are a precursor to a heel turn. This is good news.

That's what I'm hoping as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Ortonmustdie
I know i'm probly going to get flamed for this, but I thought Tamina looked pretty tasty tonight.

I'd agree that was the hottest she's looked since coming into the WWE.

As for the show...the first hour or so was really solid, the next 45 minutes were pretty mediocre, and the ending was AWESOME.

While I know Bret isn't the greatest on the mic (especially now) Jericho and Edge really helped to make that segment work. Just a good opening promo all around.

Miz/Bourne was quite good for being a semi-squash. I don't know if the match was more of an indication of a continuing big push for Miz or the de-pushing of Bourne. Either way, I liked it even though Bourne didn't get a whole lot of offense in.

Melina/Alicia actually wasn't too bad, but I am surprised they already did the match, since I thought they would hold off until SumemrSlam. Okay, they are doing it at SummerSlam, but it seems like it would have been better for Melina to win a number one contender's match or something.

I really dug the promo between Sheamus and Orton (and I dare say that was Orton's best mic work in a while). Nice job of doing the final sell job for their match at the PPV.

Morrison/Truth vs. Regal/Ryder was too quick to go anywhere, but as a Morrison fan, I was glad to see him get in most of the offense. Plus he busted out that back flip Rock Bottom move (I have no idea what it's actually called) that Paul Burchill used to do, so that was pretty awesome.

The Diva's swimsuit match was lame. As was stated, those suits were far too PG for my tastes, dammit!

I'm curious to see what they do with Miz at SummerSlam. I could almost seeing it like Cena's face turn (when he joined Team Angle for Survivor Series), but I also don't really expect Miz to turn face either.

The main event wasn't much of a match, but holy shit, what a great segment. From Jericho's hilarious reaction the first time he got tossed out of the ring, to Edge and Jericho's "Ah, what the hell?" return to Team WWE to the arena going fucking crazy...just great stuff. That was one of the loudest crowd reactions I've heard in a long time.

3.1 for the show, but I'd probably give the last two minutes a 5.0.

C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
You're a sucker.

I don't know, they went out of their way to eliminate other potential replacements, leaving it seven on six. Miz is leaving them hanging, and who did Miz have issue with on NXT? I could see Miz wanting Cena to ask him one more time and Cena says forget it we found somebody else - And Dragon would be known well enough in LA...

Regarding the show tonight, why did Bret watch the Hart dynasty beatdown from the ring, and only headed to the back when it was finished? He should have left with Nattie right away and the beatdown should have been the last few kicks before leaving so hart could have got there a few seconds too late.

I think Morrison is growing facial hair because of Eli Cottonwood's "moustache" gimmick.

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by C.MontgomeryPunk]

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really good effort tonight, leading into SS. The focus from beginning to end seemed to hinge on what direction Edge and Jericho were going to take. Seeing them coming back to the nest at the end of the show and hearing the crowd go ape shit, was pretty cool.

What was also a great moment was Miz's interaction with Cena and Bret Hart. He has to be the 7th member of Team WWE, or does he? The possibilities are endless. My hope is that they (Team WWE) get there asses handed to them by Nexus. There is a built in opportunity here for sabotage, by revealing the GM or the real brain behind the group, or maybe having him be one in the same?

Loved everything Orton/Sheamus.

Hated that Gail Kim looked like a 12 year old in her grandmother's swimsuit.

Final Score: 3.25

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-10-2010 at 04:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Regarding the show tonight, why did Bret watch the Hart dynasty beatdown from the ring, and only headed to the back when it was finished?

Better question: why did they only turn the cameras on to show Bret was happening once Nattie got to the ring, even though they'd clearly already been in place filming the entire debacle?

Sometimes I really hate that the liberal arts degree-having "writers" who allegedly learned how to make shit flow and make sense on TV still manage to frame things in the most retarded way on WWE shows.

But I'll stop before I digress. I think my stance about keeping a consistent "frame of reference" and how WWE never does it (sometimes cameras are "part of the universe" and they treat it like it's a document of a legitimate live event, and sometimes there is a 4th wall and they act like they are scripted entertainment; fuck that) is a matter of record going back damn near 8 years, now.

Ending was definitely interesting. You knew they'd have to play it 6-on-7 to leave Miz's "spot" open, so it actually did feel big when Jericho/Edge were the "big surprise" to end things. You weren't waiting for another shoe to drop.

That said: they were faking the raucousness of the building. They shook the cameras themselves, or something. There is no way that an NBA arena is THAT flimsly so as to render TV unwatchable if a few fans get excited, is there? Oh wait: Kings fans rarely have reasons to get excited, so we have no way of knowing. Hey, CRZ: ZING~!, my friend.

Love the fully-wankertastic idea of Danielson getting involved on Sunday, since Miz is his still-valid foil, and it just makes sense on so many levels. But "sense" does not equal "popular success." I have a feeling that would largely flop, unless it was just a one-off moment to "write out" Miz and then re-intro a new Mystery Partner.

They name dropped both Vince and Steamboat tonight. I don't want to see Steamboat die in the ring, but Vince would certainly be interesting for a few reasons: he has a very valid issue with NXT, you can "hide" him in a 7-man team so he won't make the match suck, the sheer oddity of seeing Vince and Bret having to get along on a team already rife with internal strife would be damned intriguing, and so on and so forth...

Then again, they've been name dropping Triple H for about a month, now. Any chance the "accidental revelation" about his surgery and the sudden change of prognosis is another one of WWE's "work the smarts" campaigns? "John Cena returns 2 months early~!" Or: "Edge trains his ass off to beat his estimated comeback date by 3 months~!" And so forth... scOOp-obsessed "journalists" wet themselves over word of a HHH arm surgery, and did WWE maybe make an omelet out of that scrambled egg by over-exagerrating HHH's new timetable (he's out till the Rumble; which is odd, because the Rumble is now the one PPV where his return WOULDN'T surprise us~!).

If it's feasible, health-wise, that's a fine pick to round out the team (and again, as I've said several times in the last month, HHH doesn't even have to be 100%, just good enough to be a place holder on a 7-man team)... also: the ONLY way Sheamus makes good on his "promise" to retain the WWE Title is if HHH is back to be the de facto #1 Contender. Otherwise: they've clearly set up Orton vs. Miz, and you'd better learn to love it.

And those swimsuits weren't even PG-rated. They were time-travelers from the 1970s, before the MPAA standardized its rating system. Oy. At least they didn't seem to be wearing the standard flesh-tone pantyhose like all divas are now (normally) required to do. Is there anything less appealing than that? No. Not even 4-decade-old swimwear....

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 04:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

This.

I know I'm setting myself up to be disappointed, but I'm going halfsies on Summerslam anyway specifically to be disappointed when Danielson inevitably doesn't appear.

If anything, my money says Miz is in fact the 7th member of Team Cena and betrays them to allign himself with the Nexus.

quote:
Ortonmustdie

This too, but Santino as wacky comedic romantic interest is getting old. I enjoyed Santino back in the day but it's time to either move him to Smackdown where someone might give him fresh material or just future endeavor his ass to make room for the massive influx of NXT rookies coming in (especially since I keep reading they still want to do a 3rd season)

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not wondering why Bret waited until it was too late to help his kids or why the cameras only showed the beatdown once Natalya cued it. Both are valid criticisms that annoy me but both are just bad writing. On the other hand what did make me scratch my head was why the camera man was on the floor. I mean, I guess that was just some producers saying "Shoot from a low angle to make Nexus look ominous" but I couldn't help but wonder why the camera man decided to lie down during the beatdown.

That aside I mostly enjoyed that opening promo, even if "The Threat of Nexus" has become some sort of mysterious MacGuffin that I don't understand. "WE CAN'T LET NEXUS KEEP DOING THIS!" Why? I don't get it. Why ARE they such a threat? I don't get it. If Jericho and Edge don't stand up to Nexus then Nexus will keep beating up midcarders you don't care about. Better make a stand. I guess. Good work, bad material.*

Hey, Miz posed with his prizes, won what was basically a squash, and said he's awesome. Yay?

Boy, that Fox/Melina match was quite the slobberknocker. I was eating breakfast while watching that and I actually had to stop because too many of those moves were making me squirm. Seriously, that match was fucking scary to watch. Someone's going to die at SummerSlam.

In theory I appreciate the story of Nexus taking out all the possible Team RAW replacements. Except... its 6 days away and they weren't laying down beatings any more vicious than they have been for months. So maybe the Harts got a vicious off camera beatdown with substantial injuries but like Henry's taken more severe beatings in recent memory. I mean, I guess if I think in real world terms it doesn't take much at all to injure someone. But in the world of sledgehammer assaults and John Cena no-selling explosions and car wrecks it felt kind of meh to me. Again, solid idea but it falls apart in the greater context of the story, I think.*

Sheamus/Orton was strangely the first segment of the show I wish I had FFed past. I'm not sure either did anything wrong, it was just very generic and adding nothing. Which is weird since (a) I like both guys well enough and (b) I see a lot of praise for it elsewhere. Ah well. I think maybe I find it hard to buy anyone but Cena feuding for that blinged out belt.

I find it very telling that even with Goon doing a segment by segment rundown of the show I think I'm the first person to even acknowledge that 6 man NXT match happened. But it sure did happen. I feel like there was a time when Low Ki and Joe Hennig making their RAW debuts would have really excited me. Why is Kaval Husky Harris' bitch? And why do the NXT guys only seem to exist to put over people who don't need it?

Morrison did a C4! AS A FUCKING TRANSITION MOVE! Poor Burchill. I was all "Hey, Morrison way upgraded his shitty finisher" and then Ryder kicked out and Morrison went for Starship Pain. Ah well.

I just realized my DVR didn't record Lucha Libre USA this week.

Wow. I though you people were exaggerating about the grandma swimsuits. The hell? Hello, FF.

Santino's a terrible wrestler and I'm well past the point of enjoying his act but its a shame there's not better writing for the guy because he does have nice comedic timing and camera presence in a way very few wrestlers do. Sadly I don't even think I'd buy into a managerial role for him at this stage though because he's got that character he's kind of stuck with. He's always got to be this goofy foreign stereotype who comicly mispronounces words.

Why did Nexus target Khali but no one else on Team RAW? Seems like they could have taken out a few more guys if they really wanted to and if it was working.

Oh, hey. Miz being put over by people and being shoehorned into another story. Yay?

Why are Nexus all standing on one side of the ring? I guess it really doesn't matter, it just looks weird.

Jericho's kind of an idiot who doesn't learn a lesson, huh? Nexus lays off him, he accidentally hits them, he then chooses to order them around instead of apologizing and trying to nurture this new armistice?

That end was a good "go home" bit but I still just don't really get it. WHY did Edge and Jericho do a 180 from the start of the show? Nothing had changed. Why are Nexus this huge threat that even won over these two jerks over the course of those 2 hours?*

And yeah, those shaking cameras were bullshit and silly.

I realize that was very negative. I didn't hate RAW or anything. I just don't get it anymore. I actually think its notable how I only FFed past the swimsuit stuff though. That's probably a good RAW.

*This is clearly my problem with Nexus. Its had a lot of fine, good, and even great 1 week story chapters but as a book it just seems redundant, inconsistent, and empty.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If I may digress from our regularly scheduled Raw discussion, I had an epiphany last night that I needed to share -

I know most of the Internet has been hoping and praying for a Cena heel turn since..well...basically since he turned face five or six years ago. Well, last night pounded home the fact that, in Randy Orton, we now have our savior and reason that Cena can safely turn heel. Let me explain -

For the past five years, Cena has been THE uber-face; that guy that can carry the company on his shoulders, women and kids love him, he sells merch, etc. For those reasons, we've all pretty much come to the realization that he will not turn anytime in the near future and will just keep doing the same schtick he's been doing for years, they'll keep printing t-shirts, he'll keep being the "good guy", etc.

Well, I think the time for a change is getting closer and closer. And that reason....is Randy Orton. The guy can do no wrong with the crowd right now. He is clicking on all cylinders. They love him. He is becoming an uber-face all his own. Which is something they have not had since Cena first became Superman. Sure you had your HHH's, your HBK's, your Hardy's, etc. but you didn't have anyone that had that certain "It" factor where he could be "the" guy and take over in Cena's place. Well, now they have someone that can carry that torch should they decide to do anything, I don't know, INTERESTING with Cena's character! I think it's hopefully getting closer to being the time to pull the trigger on turning Cena.

And I think heel Cena going up against face Orton could be damn good.

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by gobbledygooker]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10983
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I figure the mystery team member will be Vince. They've probably got it down that Bret tagging to Vince or vice versa will be one of the 'all-time' great moments. Not that I disagree entirely with them but it won't be as huge as they think it is.

Factor in their lying about injuries over the last three years, as Rick already mentioned, and the fantasy booker in me says that it should be HHH. The match is going desperately wrong for Team Cena. Dissention is splitting their ranks right during the middle of the match and Nexus is on a rampage. Cena is clearly one of the all time individual greats but his leadership skills suck. So it's time for a master tactician, a bona fide RING GENERAL to appear as the only true saviour that can halt the relentless attack of the evil Nexus. Cue up some Motorhead, dim the lights, and the tide turns. Nexus is humiliated and retreats from the field in disarray and defeat. But all is not well. By saving the day, Trips has undercut Cena, not just in the eyes of the team but to the fans as well. And without the fans Cena is nothing. And the slow and burning rev-up to a full-blown Cena heel-turn, most likely to pay off at the Rumble, is set into motion.

Yadda-yadda-yadda. It's the way I'd do it. Hire me Vince! Christ, it's not like any of this stuff is really all that difficult to think up.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If it's not Danielson, I'll go with it being HHH. And we'll get a "but who's side is he on" swerve and he'll be the man behind Nexus. Miz will approach Cena, all smarmy and wanting him to beg and Cena will tell him to piss off they got somebody better, Miz will ask "who?" and Cena will say You'll have to wait and see.

HHH will be introduced as the last member to a huge pop. However he won't be tagged in until after a few eliminations. Maybe Truth and Morrison have been eliminated, and Jericho and Edge walk out mid-match leaving Cena, HHH and Hart. Cena is getting his ass kicked in the ring and finally gets the hot tag to HHH who comes in the ring staring down Barrett who looks like he's going to shit himself before HHH turns and blasts Cena.

HHH's reasoning is he found himself alone with HBK's retirement. He'd also be revealed as the mystery GM to explain recent happenings with Nexus and that conversation with Vince. The reason why Sheamus has been helped to the title and largely untouched is because HHH wants him for himself.

Okay enough BIY.

Cena won't turn because the guy is an absolute workhorse with appearances and charities. He's a good guy to send to mainstream functions and has that movie coming out that is after-school-special written all over it.

I HATE the C-4 because there is no rational reason why the opponent should flip with Morrison. In the very least Morrison should use his off hand to grab the back of the guys trunks to make it look like he's giving some lift.

Low-Ki is Husky Harris' personal bitch because Ki is over and Harris isn't. They're trying to give Husky the rub to get him more over AND to give the pros kayfabe reason to keep him around in the pros polling. There is another elimination tonight and he's been bottom two - so something needed to change for him to pass Lucky Cannon with tonight's boot episode.

Regarding the lesser beatdowns lately - I think the wwe could have Harts, Khali and Henry "not medically cleared" to compete.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Cena won't turn because the guy is an absolute workhorse with appearances and charities. He's a good guy to send to mainstream functions and has that movie coming out that is after-school-special written all over it.

This is the one sticking point in my "Cena should turn heel" manifesto, since I do agree they wouldn't do anything with his character until his movie has run its course. Regarding him being a workhorse, etc., I don't think that is enough reason to keep him face. He could still be a workhorse as a heel. And they could have Randy Orton start doing some of that stuff, as far as appearances, etc.

I just think that, as Orton's popularity grows and grows, there is only going to be room for one Alpha, numero uno face. Look at Hogan and Macho Man from 20 years ago. They were both arguably at about the same level of popularity for a short time. One of them had to turn. In that case, it was Macho. In this case, it should be Cena.

diablo_dor
Showstopper

Posts 546
Registered 1-11-2010

Mood: confuffled

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Until Linda is finished her political aspirations there is NO WAY Orton will be the number 1 face in the WWE doesn't matter what the crowd response is like.

1 google search and this is her idea of a role model means Orton is a distinct No 2.

Pun intended.

MbahABako
Showstopper

Posts 591
Registered 6-13-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 03:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Miz as the head of Nexus would be fantastic, though I worry it would take a lot of the shine off of Wade Barrett, who is really coming into his own and will have lots of future success if he continues to be the "leader" of Nexus and is not overshadowed by a future "brains of the operation".

Miz was hazed in the lockerroom and has referenced this on multiple occasions in promos (remember his great one walking out from the back when he was talking about JBL being a dick?). What is Nexus' main beef? Having to go through all the ridiculousness of NXT and all the bullshit, non-wrestling related stuff they did. Who the hell else is an experienced guy in the company who could best relate to that experience -- easily the Miz. You could add in the fact that Danielson was kicked out of the group as Miz's behest, in exchange for his leadership behind the scenes.

Imagine this -- Orton wins the WWE Title from Sheamus at SummerSlam. While celebrating and barely standing after a brutal match, out comes "AWESOME!!!!". He cashes in his MITB and wins the title to celebrate, the crowd starts booing Miz out of the building.

But wait -- what's this? Oh no, Nexus is surrounding the ring! They must be aiming for the new top guy in the company. They all climb into the ring, surround Miz (who feigns nervousnes). Crowd eats it up, waiting for the uber-heel Miz to get a beatdown. But instead of the beatdown, they surround Miz in a circle and break out into hugs, cheers, and congratulations. Miz is held on Wade Barrett's shoulders holding the title high into the air as the PPV goes off the air.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top