The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE signs Tyler Black
MbahABako
Showstopper

Posts 591
Registered 6-13-2010

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 05:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
WWE signs Tyler Black

... according to this link: http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/148469/WWE-Signs-Tyler-Black:-Report.htm

Multiple sources within WWE are saying that the company has signed reigning ROH World champ Tyler Black. Indications are that Black will be starting with the company in September. It is believed that he has signed a developmental deal, though that's not confirmed right now.

Black has been the champion since February this year. He has several title defences scheduled between now and September, including one against Roderick Strong on September 11 at the Glory by Honor i-PPV.

When contacted about the rumour, ROH owner Cary Silkin had no comment.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 06:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am a little surprised about this. I am a fan of Tyler, but he seems a little raw for wwe. I wonder if he'll have to change his look. It seems everyone says he looks like cm punk. His mic work is pretty mediocre, but that's something wwe seems to be good at helping young wrestlers with.

It seems that between this and the new fed in florida, the roh roster could take a bit of a hit. Congrats to Tyler though

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 06:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cardscott5
His mic work is pretty mediocre, but that's something wwe seems to be good at helping young wrestlers with.

Agreed. Every homegrown WWE talent has fantastic mic skills: Orton, Rhodes, Morrison, Masters, Swagger, Mcintyre...the list goes on and on.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

knuckleballschwartz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1043
Registered 5-24-2006

Mood: on strike

posted on 8-8-2010 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

It seems that between this and the new fed in florida, the roh roster could take a bit of a hit. Congrats to Tyler though

New fed? Have I missed something?

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 08:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's been serious talk that a new company is set to start putting together shows in Florida that has the backing of the Wilpon family (owners of the NY Mets) and is being put together by Sean Davis of Full Impact Pro. A few names have already been confirmed like 2 Cold Scorpio, Vader, Vader's son and a ton of names are rumored to be jumping there like Cabana, and a lot of others I can't remember right now.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 8-8-2010 at 09:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
Agreed. Every homegrown WWE talent has fantastic mic skills: Orton, Rhodes, Morrison, Masters, Swagger, Mcintyre...the list goes on and on.

Can I ask what the definition of "homegrown WWE Talent" is? Because I don't think McIntyre counts. Any more than Paul Burchill did when he worked there at least.
Don't have anything to say about the story though, except I initially read it while skimming the board as "WWE Signs Tylene Buck".

[Edited on 8-8-10 by Stu]

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 09:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, how long until he appears on a season of NXT with a name like "Johnny Jingle" or something along those lines?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 09:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Black Tylerson.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-9-2010 at 02:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Who the hell is Tyler Black?

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ROH World Champion. Current indy darling. Awesome in the ring, green on the mic.
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11764
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 8-9-2010 at 04:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
ROH World Champion. Current indy darling. Awesome in the ring, green on the mic.
And with that description, he does sound like the perfect candidate for NXT's next batch.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

ULTIMATE COMMENTATOR SHOWDOWN!

thegenerator
Showstopper

Posts 596
Registered 8-25-2006
Location Perth, Western Australia

Mood: *Tenay scream*

posted on 8-9-2010 at 07:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With his pro, Charles Robinson
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   thegenerator 's Aim   thegenerator 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger   thegenerator 's Yahoo
diablo_dor
Showstopper

Posts 546
Registered 1-11-2010

Mood: confuffled

posted on 8-9-2010 at 02:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thegenerator
With his pro, Charles Robinson

No Jillian Hall & his gimmick will be he's a producer & choreographer who believes she can help him get a job working with American Idol wannabes.
His finishers are the Autotuner & JAZZ HANDS!

Seriously, I wonder if he could be the one to get the attack Rey under a Mask gimmick that Low Ki was rumoured to get. He seems very small even in ROH I wonder how he'll look after being WWE'd in the developments.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 06:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He's actually pretty big for an indy guy, at least height wise. He's taller than Punk, I think.
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-9-2010 at 06:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
And with that description, he does sound like the perfect candidate for NXT's next batch.

May be double quoting here, but with purpose, because I'm not so sure. I never saw Danielson wrestle, but was well aware of him because for years all I heard was that he was the best guy no one had signed, not just here but from whatever other mainstream sites I went to at the time. With Low-Ki/Kaval, you could actually see him in TNA, so he was someone with actual exposure to slightly mainstream audiences. This guy? First I've heard of him. That's not to say WWE won't humiliate him because he's got an internet following that they want to "put in line", but still, whatever following he does have, I wouldn't put it on the same level as Danielson's and his exposure level to more "mainstream" wrestling audiences isn't nearly as much as Ki's, so maybe they're hiring him just to package him up as someone who's more WWE original than anything else.

Well, you hope they do, because they play off his background and he's pretty much FUBAR.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As a half-assed follower of ROH, he's definitely had a pretty quick rise up the ranks, at least as far as I've been aware. I just remember hearing his name here and there on the mid-card in the past year or two then BOOM! he was ROH champ and has been since February.

As opposed to guys like Punk, Ki, and Danielson who were tearing it up on the indy scene in pretty high-profile gigs for years before they broke through to the big leagues.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

diablo_dor
Showstopper

Posts 546
Registered 1-11-2010

Mood: confuffled

posted on 8-9-2010 at 10:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Don't forget he was supposed to take the ROH title off Nigel McGuiness with a Backslide before Management decided to remove Gabe from his role instead.

His run in ROH has mostly coincided with me keeping less up to date with the company but I know he was a part of the Age of the Fall and had some brutal battles with the Briscoes before losing to Nigel repeatedly and then winning the ROH title after everyone had grown cold on him.

I think he has the in ring talent, if allowed, to shine & I'd love it if they wanted to extend the Nexus story by having Danielson come back with guys who have exensive travels and won't be snubbed by the WWE any longer:
Bryan, Low Ki & Tyler as a faction would be awesome
But I fear they'll spend to long making him WWE ready.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 10:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In like late 2007, there was a random match in Philly where the winner got a title match later in the show and Black wound up winning and getting the match with Nigel. And no one gave him a chance, but it was one of the best matches I ever saw and nothing Nigel did could put Black down for good. Nigel gave everything he could and by the end it was Black everyone wanted to see win. What happened after that was Gabe built him up with matches against Nigel, Aries, and Danielson and he was poised to win the belt, but then there was the horrible booking of the break up of Age of the Fall, feuds with Jacobs and Aries that never clicked, and Gabe was removed from booking so his planned title win at the end of 2008 when it was the perfect time for ROH to give the belt to someone new got pushed back and his 2009 was just really slow as ROH was stagnant and Black became the Batista of ROH in that he got title match after title match and never won. He finally won the belt just as the fans really started turning on him, and he's just now getting the fans behind him again, but once this news is confirmed, that will probably quickly change.

The one fact is he can bring it in an indy ring. No idea if his moveset will be allowed to translate to WWE.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 11:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for the extensive history on Black, Dev. I've always kinda wondered what his rise up the ranks consisted of, since I've really just been following ROH more since he became champ.

Is it just me or did he used to have more of a "punk" look, with purplish hair or something? I think I remember seeing a Videowire from a year or two ago and that's what he looked like.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 11:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dev is pretty right. Aries and black never really clicked, then they kept fighting. The crowd shit all over the hour draw they had to end the year. Some of that was new york, and some was the fact that match kinda sucked and was a no doubt time limit. They seemed to embrace tyler winning the belt though. He gets booed everywhere it seems, and was when I saw him last month.

I don't know how much his moveset will change, but it seems it will a lot. At least he can still do gods last gift if he can't do the bucklebomb and superkick combo

PyroFalkon
Fella

Posts 453
Registered 11-17-2004
Location Xenia, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 06:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu
Don't have anything to say about the story though, except I initially read it while skimming the board as "WWE Signs Tylene Buck".

Same here. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   PyroFalkon 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   PyroFalkon 's Yahoo
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-10-2010 at 01:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
I never saw Danielson wrestle, but was well aware of him because for years all I heard was that he was the best guy no one had signed, not just here but from whatever other mainstream sites I went to at the time. With Low-Ki/Kaval, you could actually see him in TNA, so he was someone with actual exposure to slightly mainstream audiences. This guy? First I've heard of him. That's not to say WWE won't humiliate him because he's got an internet following that they want to "put in line", but still, whatever following he does have, I wouldn't put it on the same level as Danielson's and his exposure level to more "mainstream" wrestling audiences isn't nearly as much as Ki's, so maybe they're hiring him just to package him up as someone who's more WWE original than anything else.

I've said this before but I think ROH and the indy in general just lacks the buzz that it had years ago. Black is very fairly the match for guys like Danielson and Ki as the top of the non-TNA/ROH litter indy fans dig who haven't broken through to the mainstream. There just isn't the buzz that was there years ago with guys like Danielson, Ki, Punk, and Joe.

I think there's two sides to that. First, I think that class of indy darlings were really special. Consider the timing. ECW and WCW died in 2001 and WWF was overloaded with talent from all 3 companies with no need to go looking further. TNA and ROH pop up a year later and brings in a lot of the guys like AJ, Ki, Danielson, and Daniels who were ready to break through in 2001 or so and probably would have been in ECW, WCW, or WWF but didn't have that opportunity. Then you have this period of time where the indy world flourished, I think in large part because of the backlog in talent breaking through due to the dead of #2 and #3 at the same time. So what happens is you get a TON of talent who probably would have filtered up all competing no higher than the ROH/TNA level and really flourishing. Which gives guys like Punk, Joe, and Danielson time to build reputations and legend when they maybe should have moved up earlier.

Now you have TNA established and most of the Monday Night War era guys moving on and the road is clearer to the top. So I think the talent isn't as rich at the ROH level as it was 5 years ago because that was a unique little time in the fallout of the Monday Night Wars.

The other part of it is that ROH and TNA aren't "the next ____" anymore. They're just what they are. So without people convinced ROH is the next ECW that takes away a ton of buzz.

Black's a talented dude. His look is a little questionable since he's kind of lanky but not enough of an issue that I think it will kill him in WWE. He's a talented dude but I don't love him like some like Dev did but I like him enough. He's better than probably any of the NXT guys we've seen besides Barrett, Kaval, and Bryan. But then who knows? Its tough to compare indy guys like Black to WWE guys like Hennig or Riley. I've never seen those guys wrestle matches longer than 10 or 15 minutes, and 9 out of 10 matches I've seen were lucky to go 8 minutes. Black I've watched watch matches that start at 15 minutes for years so I've seen more. Maybe Hennig, Riley, and Gabriel can do more and haven't shown it... maybe Black isn't as compelling in 8 minutes as he is in 20 minutes. Its tough to tell.

But he's got skills and its a good add. WWE making this concentrated look to the indies is a good thing for them. Maybe not a great thing for the rest of the wrestling world, but definitely a good thing for WWE developments. And its a shame NXT is dead in the water in light of that.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Dev is pretty right. Aries and black never really clicked, then they kept fighting. The crowd shit all over the hour draw they had to end the year. Some of that was new york, and some was the fact that match kinda sucked and was a no doubt time limit.

I know the finish was panned, but I'm pretty sure someone on this board called the match "too beautiful to be born" and wasn't shouted down or anything.

I only remember because I'm still pissed I missed that show because of a snowstorm.

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know they've signed a few 'Indy' guys over the past few years, but I'm guessing that some of these new signings will be JR's doing?
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-10-2010 at 02:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
I know the finish was panned, but I'm pretty sure someone on this board called the match "too beautiful to be born" and wasn't shouted down or anything.

I only remember because I'm still pissed I missed that show because of a snowstorm.

If I remember correctly that show got really polarizing reviews. Some people hated the show due to terrible pacing and that giant blue balls title match. Others seemed to just love it for the wrestling and not mind the pacing or results at all.

But I know that was the moment where people just quit on Black. That was the "shit or get off the pot" moment. ROH fucked up and the crowd turned. And yeah, NY crowd are assholes and that was an excuse a lot of ROHbots were using but ROH booked an hour long draw in NYC for a feud that had gone on forever and a title chase that had lasted longer. So they made the bed.

At least I think that's what happened. I might be confusing shit. ROH seems to schedule a lot of shows in NY that happen in snow storms. Hey, ROH. NYC in December/January is iffy.

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by LuckyLopez]

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top