The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 6, 2010)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-6-2010 at 07:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 6, 2010)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to SmackDown (airing August 6, 2010) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on SmackDown: storyline-wise, the big thing tonight is that Kane says World Champ Rey Mysterio vegetated the Undertaker, and Rey says otherwise; so look for stuff to happen there; pretty big stuff; perhaps even cliff-hanger-y stuff... wrestling-wise, the big thing tonight is an InterContinental Title defense by Kofi Kingston against his #1 Contender, Dolph Ziggler; this comes one week after Kofi was DQ'ed in a non-title match against Ziggler (for, apparently, daring to display semi-aggression in the middle of a goddamned FIGHT; frick you, WWE, frick you right in your fricking G-rated fanny); so look for fireworks tonight between those two... other matches on tap for tonight: Rey vs. Drew McIntyre in a non-title exhibition... "Facial Enthusiast" Cody Rhodes vs. Matt Hardy... and the Straight Edge Society (CM Punk, Luke Gallows, and the now-unmasked Joey Mercury) form a mighty Voltron to take on the all-initials hodpge-podge-squadge of MVP (Many Voluptuous Penguins), JTG (Beats the Hell outta Me), and CFM (Chris F. Masters)... should be a one!

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TomS
Showstopper

Posts 784
Registered 7-7-2006

Mood: Moody

posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RE: Kane.

I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING AT ALL. Honest.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My only hope is that they kept it open enough that it might not necessarily be Kane. Ah, who am I kidding, I'm sure Kane will come out next week and cut a promo confessing to everything.

As for the show, I think I just need to cut and paste "Nothing too great, nothing too bad. 3.0" every week from now on.

Pretty standard opening stuff with Mysterio and McIntyre. Smackdown really seems to be doing a lot of these opening promos with footage edited in lately. On the one hand I find it kind of cheesy, but it does at least kind of differentiate the show from RAW.

Matt/Cody was alright. I think Matt can officially declare his career over now that he's cleanly jobbing to Cody Rhodes though.

I'm starting to scare myself with how much I'm digging Lay-Cool, but I've realized that a big part of that is I think Layla is pretty awesome and she just elevates Michelle McCool. Layla's line of "But Teddy, we're BFF champs!" is the greatest line in the history of the WWE. The split belt thing is kind of stupid, but also kind of genius.

Good match between Kofi and Ziggler and I thought it was the best out of the three they've had. I was actually kind of surprised to see Ziggler win the belt (now he's only 1-239 lifetime in IC title matches). I also like the new-found intensity Kofi is showing. I assume a rematch for SummerSlam will be announced next week.

I fully approve of the SES segment based on Serena's tank top alone. Good stuff though and now that all of the mask silliness is over with, I like the current streamlined look of the SES.

When I saw MVP, JTG, and Chris Masters on a team together, I knew I was in for an exciting match! It served it's purpose in making the SES look good for their upcoming SummerSlam match, but that was some boring shit. At least it was short.

Good main event between Rey and McIntyre. No shock in Rey winning, but McIntyre got to look pretty strong for most of the match.

3.0 for the show.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-8-2010 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
"Nothing too great, nothing too bad. 3.0"

On the one hand I find it kind of cheesy, but it does at least kind of differentiate the show from RAW.

The split belt thing is kind of stupid, but also kind of genius.

It served it's purpose in making the SES look good for their upcoming SummerSlam match, but that was some boring shit.

No shock in Rey winning, but McIntyre got to look pretty strong for most of the match.

You, my friend, sound like someone trying to talk yourself into something.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A rapidly increasing highlight for me on these boards is my enjoyment of witnessing Lucky dissect my brother's posts.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-8-2010 at 12:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I feel bad that I do it a lot as I like your bro a lot and think even when I don't agree with him I understand him. Its probably that which leaves me so often happy to pull something out of his post and talk about it since I think there's an actually point as he'll respond intelligently.

But in that case it just struck me that almost every thought end with some kind of "It sucks, but it doesn't" debate.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 01:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, out of the four things you listed, the only one I really didn't like was the six-man tag match (and even that at least was kept short). I enjoyed Rey/McIntyre, I was mainly joking about Lay-Cool's split belt (I mean, it IS kind of stupid, but I also found it hilarious and awesome) and the "footage during the promos" thing is really just a small observation that I really don't feel one way or the other about.

And I usually consider a 3.0 to be "good" but certainly not "great" and that's pretty much how I felt about Smackdown last night (and for really for the past month or so).

EDIT: Just thought I'd add to that in case I ever come off as Smackdown biased, there were some things on Impact I wasn't a huge fan of this week and I gave that show a 3.4.

[Edited on 8-8-2010 by the goon]

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2010 at 03:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Think I watched this show in 40 minutes flat. Pretty confident I didn't miss anything by fast-forwarding through Kane/Rey's overproduced promos, another Del Rio/Rhodes promo, Rhodes/Hardy or the 6 man.

Wow, Smackdown refs are morons. Kofi gets DQd for nothing last week, but Vicki is just allowed to stand in the ring and yell at the ref. Makes perfect sense.

Mcintyre has really stepped up his game recently, even if he does appear to be stealing Orton's stomps. Decent match with Rey where he showed a lot of offensive variety for a change.

diablo_dor
Showstopper

Posts 546
Registered 1-11-2010

Mood: confuffled

posted on 8-8-2010 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
Wow, Smackdown refs are morons. Kofi gets DQd for nothing last week, but Vicki is just allowed to stand in the ring and yell at the ref. Makes perfect sense.

She is technically management, similar to Steph calling for the DQ of Test over a "cute" wrestler called Kurt Angle due to use of closed fists in 2000. They make this stuff up as they go along that's why they're heels.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-9-2010 at 03:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks. I understand how heels work. That doesn't make it any less illogical for the ref to allow her in the ring, especially since she's been DQ'd in the past for interfering.

That said, the stupid ending made me forget there was some decent action in there and Kofi especially seemed to be working stiff. That suicide dive with the forearm was nasty as was the last bit of him throwing Dolph into the stair side of the stairs.

[Edited on 8-9-2010 by theflammablemanimal]

http://epitomeofmasculinity.blogspot.com/

@EofMasculinity
The first undisputed OO draft champion of the world

Get the pistons pumping and let the pigeons loose on my yambag

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top