The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: TNA Impact (August 5th, 2010)
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-5-2010 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: TNA Impact (August 5th, 2010)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to Impact (airing August 5th, 2010) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on Impact: HardCORE Justice is this Sunday so logic dictates its the go home show... but this PPV is the ECW tribute show so while they're sure to put the finishing touches on that there's not a lot of build and it has very little to do with TNA proper. As far as stories all we have are Raven turning on Tommy Dreamer (shocked?) maybe revealing an alliance with TNA's Abyss and the Dudleyz putting aside their recent differences in the name of setting someone on fire. Yay? You're as interested as you are, unless you're someone who was morally offended by the ECW alum not beating up Hulk Hogan out of pure principle.

Lets talk about TNA though. Next week's Impact is the special "make up PPV" edition loaded with wrestling so its a go home show of sorts anyway. World Champ Rob Van Dam will take on his challenger Abyss in a tag match with each getting an "extreme" partner. After Rob Terry squashed Kazarian last week he's going to get a shot at his former Legends title, now AJ Styles' rechristened Television title. This would be the first of what AJ claims to be weekly defenses of the title except that he's set to face Kurt Angle next week in a non-title match for rankings purposes. Personally I think that belt is cursed to never make sense. Jay Lethal returns to relevancy this week as he takes on Ric Flair in a rematch, this time a street fight. A chance to segueway this feud into Jay fighting wrestlers who interfere or a way to negate the good done with Jay's initial win? Your call.

And the main thing deserving of attention will be the 4th straight week of Beer Money vs the Motor City Machine Guns. This will be the 4th of a Best of 5 series for the Tag Team Titles with Beer Money leading the series 2-1 and thus on the brink on winning the belts. As has been the pattern of the series the winner of the previous match gets to make the stip so this week MCMG have chosen Ultimate X to gain their edge. These two team have a 3 week run of "Match of the Week" and there's no real reason to think they can't match that for a 4th in a row.

There's other stuff happening although nothing announced for the show, but I'm not even sure I'm interested enough to watch live and I've already typed more than I expected so whatever. So watch or don't.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
sam795
Fella

Posts 254
Registered 7-10-2007

Mood: Fandastic

posted on 8-6-2010 at 02:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I cry a little inside watching the shell of Ric Flair attempt to wrestle now.

Leave the gun. Take the cannolis.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   sam795 's Aim   sam795 's Yahoo
ScottySN
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 93
Registered 10-4-2009
Location Napping.

Mood: Feisty

posted on 8-6-2010 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Flair Flop when he charged out of the corner was greatness!

"If 40 is the new 20, then cellulite is the new tattoo."~ Elizabeth A. Hohauser

The doughboy
Fella

Posts 400
Registered 2-19-2004
Location Mtl Canada

Mood: Born Ready

posted on 8-6-2010 at 12:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The way things are going It's only a matter of time before they book Hogan vs Flair for the title ...
CreativeInternetAliass
The Rowdy One

Posts 2746
Registered 5-26-2010
Location north carolina

Mood: Williamaniac.

posted on 8-6-2010 at 01:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why would that be? Hogan and Flair have had little to no interaction. Hogan has stayed pretty much out of the limelight, or has kept himself busy pushing Abyss or dealing with Sting/Jarrett/Nash in the mid card no less. Flair has gone the JJ Dilion route with Fortune, and has given Jay Lethal one hell of a rub. Would I prefer not to have Hogan and Flair on my TV? Of course I would, but if they are going to be around TNA has probally used them the best way they could.

However, that being said I hope Flair never, ever takes his shirt off again.

you're a freak of nature Dougie, laws of nature do not apply to you (BC in chat on 7/02/12 describing why women think i'm sweet)

dev are you going to give me your address or do i have to check the registered sex offender data base (Firewoman trying to set up a three way meet on 03/20/2011)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2010 at 01:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In general, I enjoyed the show. The Raven/Dreamer promo started off pretty generic, but Raven helped add some fire to a rushed feud that could have felt much more forced if not for their efforts. So, good job there.

The Knockout tag title match was one of the worst matches I've seen in recent memory. Mostly due to Lacy's turtling. I'm not sure who booked things so that she was in the ring most of the time, but they should be given a firm talking to.

Beer Money/MCMG... awesome. Since their final match is going to be at the "free-per-view" next thursday, I don't see how the rumored ironman match could be squeezed in to the show. Unless Spike goes nuts and lets the show go commercial free and extends it to 3 hours. I'm eager to see what they come up with for the final match, either way.

I'm not exactly sure what Douglas Williams' motivations are, but if it leads to Lethal chasing him for the X-Title, I could be down with that. Seems like a step back for Lethal right now, though.

That's really all I wanted to comment about. 3.0ish, I guess.

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 8-6-2010 at 02:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, that knockout match was just poor. I think someone saw Lacey practicing and said, Hey, she can do spinning heel kicks and over the head throws! Let's show the fans what she's got! But then in the match every move took an extra few seconds to set up. I wasn't sure if she was forgetting what she should do or nervous to do it or what, but it really ruined the match. And did it play perfectly to Lacey's stupidity that Dark Helmet handed her a chair and wanted it to be used against her? Because if that was unintentional then why was Madison smiling about it? Eh, they're all still so hot so my judgment is clouded but I am curious how it all shakes out. I hope Dark Helmet is hot and capable.

Loved the Flair/Lethal match, and I did not want them wrestling last time. It was fun and Lethal loses nothing by taking the pin.

Of course the Guns/Beer Money was incredible. 4 out of 4 so far. So much fun.

So the extreme thing is this sunday and next week is the free-per-view? Do we know what time it is? Or is it going to fit into a normal slot? I hope they advertise the hell out of it. I'd like to see them get a 2.5

The "B" is for Bargain!

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-6-2010 at 02:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Flair/Lethal match was a real guilty pleasure for me. Seeing Flair moving around the ring in his Fruit of the Loom's was hilarious.

MCMG/Beer Money was brilliant as usual! This will go down as one of the best of 5 series in recent memory.

The Knockouts match was just horrible. Lacy Von Erich should not me allowed within a hundred yards of a wrestling ring. She single handedly fucked that match up. Dark Helmet is Victoria right?

Did like the shoot between Nash and Hogan, even though I never want to see either of them on my TV again.

What is there to say about Eric Young. Let see, we go from being afraid of Pyro....to being the leader of an Anti-American faction....to groveling for Deangelo Dinero dollars. Why not put a bullet in his head next TNA?

Final Score: This episode is worthy of a 3.0 on the MCMG/Beer Money match alone.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2010 at 04:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
The Flair/Lethal match was a real guilty pleasure for me. Seeing Flair moving around the ring in his Fruit of the Loom's was hilarious.

That was pretty funny but pity the poor fans who saw him without the Fruit of the Looms. Also, why did we need a ref distraction in a No-DQ streetfight?

I'm guessing Williams wants into Fortune. And while it may seem a step back for Lethal, hopefully it manages to elevate the X-belt. But what happened to Kendrick?

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
Dark Helmet is Victoria right?

Based solely on what was hanging out of her catsuit, no.

Ugh, Nash/Sting vs Hogan/Jarrett? Blech.

Does anyone else think that Bischoff setting himself up as special ref for next week's ladder match means he's turning for sure? And probably to reveal that he, Sting, and Nash are THEM?

Also, MCMG/Beer Money next week is 2/3 falls. SWEET!

TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 8-6-2010 at 04:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal

Also, MCMG/Beer Money next week is 2/3 falls. SWEET!

Sweet. It's a best of 7 after all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-6-2010 at 09:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Decent episode last night that was once again bolstered by MCMG/Beer Money.

The opening promo served it's purpose, but personally I found it lame that they're using stuff that happened 15 years ago (and probably hardly of any of today's wrestling audience even saw) for the Raven/Dreamer storyline. That would be like Matt Hardy being pissed at Edge for stealing Lita in 2021.

Agreed with the sentiments on the Knockouts match, as it was pretty lame. I'm actually enjoying most of the storyline stuff with the women, but the in-ring stuff lately has left a lot to be desired. And I'm wondering if the Knockouts tag titles are still going to be around a year from now.

AJ/Terry basically went Terry kicks AJ's ass, low blow, Pele, 450, pin. Not much to the match, but as an AJ mark, I loved seeing him go over Rob. Though during most of the match, I was trying to visualize a giant "AJ" tattoo on AJ to prepare myself for the future.

Awesome match between MCMG/Beer Money. Last week I questioned the wisdom of TNA doing all of these big matches for free, but at this point I'll just say fuck it and bring on the 2 out of 3 falls match next week!

I think I'm way more interested in this Hogan/Nash/Jarrett/Sting thing than I should be. Though part of that is probably wanting to see if my Sting theory (that I've discussed here before) turns out to be true. Otherwise, I guess this is the best way to use the old guys...let them all feud with each other. Though I am afraid this is going to result in Sting/Nash vs. Hogan/Jarrett at BFG.

Standard stuff out of Pope/Jordan. Though if I never have to see Orlando Jordan simulate oral sex on his finger again, that would be okay. With that said, I think he should press charges against Pope for committing a hate crime.

Flair/Lethal was actually decent for what it was, but at this point I find something kind of sad about a 62 year-old Flair bleeding buckets while walking around in his underwear. But maybe that's just me. And while I really like Doug Williams, I'm hoping he's not joining Fortune, as I think it would make the group too bloated (hopefully it was just Flair paying Williams off to interfere, since the other Fortune members were banned from interfering).

I think that RVD/Jerry Lynn segment was perhaps the most anti-climatic setup for a PPV match ever. It was basically Lynn popping in for five seconds saying "Hey buddy! We're wrestling on Sunday! See ya!" and then disappearing.

Main event wasn't anything special, but I gotta admit that the Sandman was a cool surprise. I always stay away from spoilers, so I had no idea he was going to appear. Now let's let the ECW guys have their final moment and then get them the hell off of my TV.

3.4 for the show.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-6-2010 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
The opening promo served it's purpose, but personally I found it lame that they're using stuff that happened 15 years ago (and probably hardly of any of today's wrestling audience even saw) for the Raven/Dreamer storyline. That would be like Matt Hardy being pissed at Edge for stealing Lita in 2021.

I can't comment on any of the actual show since I haven't caught TNA since they stopped being live, but I'd just feel the need to pop in and clarify something. Today's WWE fan probably would be confused as hell as to the reasoning here. But today's TNA fan? Let's be real here: I'd say only about 5-10% of TNA's audience hasn't seen the old ECW either on TV or through other means to be lost on this storyline. TNA exists solely because nearly the whole of the internet supports it wholeheartedly. If this were WWE using the example you used, I'm pretty sure about 90% of the fanbase would be completely lost. TNA? Not so much.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, you may have a point nOOb and I'd agree that in general, the average TNA fan is probably more savvy with wrestling history (or more specifically, ECW history) than today's WWE fan. And maybe more TNA fans do know the Raven/Dreamer/Beulah storyline than I assumed. But I still don't think it's something that THAT many fans nowadays would know. Roughly 1.5 million people watch Impact weekly and it's hard to believe that 90% of them know about an ECW storyline from 1995.

But either way, my problem wasn't really that I didn't think people would remember the storyline, but that I thought it was lame to be dragging something from 15 years ago up. Like I said, it would be like Edge and Matt Hardy popping up in some wrestling promotion in 2021 and Matt saying he still hates Edge for stealing Lita.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 12:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wait, you don't think Matt Hardy WOULD do that? I'd put money on him trying to play that card.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 01:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh, I never said Matt would or wouldn't do that. But that wasn't really the point though, as I was just using the Matt/Edge/Lita thing as an example (since it was kind of a similar storyline). For a non-Matt Hardy example, it would be like Big Show jumping to TNA next year and attacking Hogan because he was pissed about being kicked out of the nWo in 1996.
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Except it's nothing like that. Raven/Dreamer was THE FEUD while ECW was growing and becoming a legit 3rd national promotion. It will go down with Austin/McMahon and Sting/Flair as possibly the greatest feuds in the history of the sport.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As someone who has been really turned away by the direction TNA started to go right around the time Hogan and Bischoff showed up, I have to say that I'm actually starting to semi-enjoy Impact again. I don't think it has anything to do with the ECW revival but more to do with the fact that Hogan and Bischoff seem to be loosening their grip a little. I still wish Rob Terry would explode but Abyss is so much more tolerable as a heel, so that's helped a lot, and the Hogan/Sting crap has been surprisingly downplayed.

It's also really hard not to enjoy MCMG/Beer Money.

I'm hoping that they keep the positive momentum going. I badly want to genuinely enjoy this show again.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 04:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Except it's nothing like that. Raven/Dreamer was THE FEUD while ECW was growing and becoming a legit 3rd national promotion. It will go down with Austin/McMahon and Sting/Flair as possibly the greatest feuds in the history of the sport.

But again, that's not my point. Great as it may have been, I don't want to see something from 15 years ago dragged up today, especially when both guys are a shell of their former selves. To see an out of shape Raven mad at an injured/out of shape Dreamer for stealing his girlfriend 15 years ago is lame.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
As someone who has been really turned away by the direction TNA started to go right around the time Hogan and Bischoff showed up, I have to say that I'm actually starting to semi-enjoy Impact again. I don't think it has anything to do with the ECW revival but more to do with the fact that Hogan and Bischoff seem to be loosening their grip a little. I still wish Rob Terry would explode but Abyss is so much more tolerable as a heel, so that's helped a lot, and the Hogan/Sting crap has been surprisingly downplayed.

It's also really hard not to enjoy MCMG/Beer Money.

I'm hoping that they keep the positive momentum going. I badly want to genuinely enjoy this show again.

I think we were two of the few here who were really turned off by TNA when Hogan and company came in, but I'm pretty much back on board now (outside of a few minor things) and think they've really been doing some good stuff for the last couple of months.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 04:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Those are 2 different arguments, whether or not it's lame is going to be a subjective opinion that is up to the person watching. But whether or not people will remember the feud, especially the TNA fanbase really isn't. It's one of the top 5 feuds in united states wrestling in the last 20 years. People know Dreamer/Raven.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 06:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But saying Raven/Dreamer is one of the top five feuds of the last 20 years is also a subjective opinion. And again, if more TNA viewers know the Raven/Dreamer feud than I estimated, then great. There's no way to prove it one way or the other, unless we poll every TNA fan. I just don't think Raven/Dreamer is really remembered outside of the smark crowd, which I'm sure compromises a large portion of TNA's audience, but not all of it.

And my original argument (or subjective opinion) wasn't really "this is lame because nobody remembers it." It was "this is lame because it happened 15 years ago."

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 07:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just out of curiosity, what five feuds would you rank above it?
doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 8-7-2010 at 03:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All five HHH vs Orton's.

But maybe that's just because I love Orton so much.

The "B" is for Bargain!

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 8-7-2010 at 08:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
But either way, my problem wasn't really that I didn't think people would remember the storyline, but that I thought it was lame to be dragging something from 15 years ago up. Like I said, it would be like Edge and Matt Hardy popping up in some wrestling promotion in 2021 and Matt saying he still hates Edge for stealing Lita.

Obviously your mileage will differ, but I would rather see them rekindle one of the greatest feuds in the history of wrestling where both men can actually still wrestle even if it is nowhere near what they used to be able to do, rather than see the Bret-Vince angle brought back earlier this year where NEITHER of them had any business being in a ring.

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Just out of curiosity, what five feuds would you rank above it?

Off the top of my head, I don't know if there are five feuds that I would rank above it. I'm in full agreement that it was an awesome feud, but I just don't think a whole lot of people saw it when it originally happened.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2010 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I lived and breathed ECW from '96 until it's death (the first time) and even I missed the gist of the Dreamer-Raven feud since I believe most of it happened in '95 (and maybe even a bit before). Still, I've caught up on Youtube, etc. and that shit was intense.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top