The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 2, 2010)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-2-2010 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: RAW (August 2, 2010)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to RAW (airing August 2, 2010) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on RAW: I'm getting this out of the way early, since Your Humble Webmaster will be a busy little beaver on Monday, and probably won't have a chance to do anything OO-related until after dinner, which is too late for a "preview"... also: this won't be much of a "preview," since this show was taped last week -- WWE is overseas, as we speak -- and it's hard to distinguish between what would count as "preview" and what would count as "spoiler," so I'm just not gonna try to sprain my brain too hard....

The huge story this week is obviously gonna be the integrity of Team WWE (currently comprised of Cena, Jericho, Edge, Bret Hart, Morrison, Truth, and Khali, but with every member but Bret currently involved in in-fighting).... Edge wants Khali off the team, and will take a stand on that issue tonight... Jericho wants captainship of the team, and will end up facing Cena in a match tonight... Jericho and Edge may end up realizing that have more in common than they previously thought and then they [remainder of this sentence redacted, because not only would it be a spoiler for both SummerSlam AND the August 9 RAW, but it'd wander into fantasy booking of the tag division]... oddly, there seemed to be nothing in the spoilers about R-Truth continuing his mini-feud with Morrison (both appear, but only in cameos, really)... wrestling-wise, the Cena/Jericho match is NOT the main event, but rather, Orton vs. Miz gets the spot and really wanted to be good (but reports on whether they succeeded were mixed; some said it was mostly just really-over-long and trying-too-hard from two guys who didn't click; if I had to guess, the problem may be that Orton is a babyface that people can only care about in small doses while Miz is a heel that people kinda want to like, which is why it might have felt off-kilter and forced; we'll have to wait and see how it plays on TV, and keep an eye on whether or not WWE edits it down in length for its own good)...

That's all I'll say for now... if you want to chime in with thoughts/predictions/etc. that do a better job toeing the line between spoiler and preview, knock yourself out with more details than I've provided... also, the spoilers of which I speak are probably above in the "Spoilers" forum here at OO; they shouldn't be too far different from the report I received last week... and obviously, everybody (including myself) will be congregating here at some point AFTER the show to dissect its carcass... don't miss out~!

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot about one more thing I think is happening... WWE is planning to get a pre-tape insert thing done with Will Ferrell and Marky Mark for Monday's show... they are the stars of "The Other Guys" (the movie in which The Rock and Sam Jackson are "The Real Guys, but Who Only Appear Briefly"), so please feel free to commence with your fantasy booking about how this totally means The Rock will be showing up in WWE soon....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

[Edited on 8-2-2010 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 8-2-2010 at 04:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In that Miz vs Orton match tonight there is said to be a spot where Orton gets pissed at Miz for a botch or something - said to be noticeable along the lines of the Kennedy and Kingston happenings. Kennedy was fired and Kingston's Raw push died instantly, so this doesn't bode well for Miz...

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-2-2010 at 05:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He didn't tweet about it

Don't Mess With Texas

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-2-2010 at 06:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, lord knows if there's a guy on the roster with a legitimate right to be angry when somebody else blows a spot it's God's gift to workrate himself, Randy Orton.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 8-2-2010 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ha, Jericho is really living the gimmick.

From Twitter:

RT @JohnCena CeNation. Team for sslam is crumbling.- it's crumbling because of u, u sanctimonious son of a b&$@h!!!

C.A.C.A.
And I am AWESOME

Posts 148
Registered 3-28-2010
Location Hollywood

Mood: Vengeful

posted on 8-2-2010 at 10:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Occam's Razor says that simplest explanation for a shity match between my two least favorite members of the WWE roster is that they both suck, like I've always maintained, and thus will have shity matches due to their inherent suckiness. No lame catchphrase that wouldn't even cross The Rock's mind after a drunken bender spent reading the collected essay's of the head of the writing team now in charge will negate that simple, likely, fact for Mizan and man-tard. I'd rather watch car-wreck Jake Roberts at this point than the serpentine one with his him-bo fire up, at least Roberts is 100% more likely to do something amusing due to intoxication on illicit substances so he's good for at least one entertaining segment before three consecutive wellness violations leading to his future endeavoring.

Maybe next week WWE can get back to exciting parts of the show where Michael Cole reads emails live on TV! Forget the NXT garbage, that's obviously the reason why the ratings are up .2 of a point! Can you imagine JR doing the same thing? They'd be pullying MyTV numbers instead I bet! Unless Vince made him apply a mud-mask on him in the middle of the ring as public embarrassment of course . . .

The finest catch-as-catch-can professional wrestling match of the last decade now available for you to own!

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2533
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-2-2010 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
^I wasn't aware of a sloppy spot that happened with Kofi? What happened during that money-making, putting-kofi-rightfully-over feud that would cause his push to be deflated?
Crofty
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 24
Registered 6-23-2009
Location Norway

Mood:

posted on 8-2-2010 at 11:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
^I wasn't aware of a sloppy spot that happened with Kofi? What happened during that money-making, putting-kofi-rightfully-over feud that would cause his push to be deflated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kxxFjiD6s

Orton didn't get to pose and be "The Viper!!" for as long as he wanted.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2010 at 12:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Two thing jump out at mea bout that clip:

That was quite the childish meltdown on Orton's part.... the swearing, the constant "stupid" comments... I guess that's why Kofi's over on SD now.

The other; That clip is less than a year old and it sets up the exact same match we are about to get now. I don't even remember the first one.

I wonder what would happen if they put Orton in his place? I mean on one hand, yes he would be a good fit for TNA (and could retain his name), not that they could afford to pay him the same as the WWE, and he would have to do indy shows to bump his pay.... can't see that happening. Maybe he could go to Hollywood and take minor roles in straight to dvd bargin bin films (oops already going to do that, sorry WWE films) On the other, he'd do what exactly if Vince didn't take his side... have bad matches to show them?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2010 at 03:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wasn't expecting a whole lot out of RAW tonight since it was a taped episode, but I thought it was actually pretty decent.

I liked the opening with Edge and R-Truth. Truth isn't great on the mic, but at least a RAW opening with those two guys isn't something we've seen a million times.

Edge/Barrett was solid and like Jericho last week, Edge got to play pseudo-face in the match. No shocker in the non-finish.

Somehow after having shorter hair on NXT, John Morrison's hair seems to have magically grown back tonight!

Divas match was about what you would expect. As I've noticed before, Alicia Fox is actually decent on the mic and I'm kinda, sorta slowly buying into her title reign now. And I thought Melina's return was well done. Glad to see her back on TV.

Sheamus/Goldust was basically a squash (and it was kind of weird to see Goldust getting a shot against the WWE champion on RAW), but big props to the WWE for acknowledging their past in ECW. I had completely forgotten about their feud and it's something I would like to see the WWE do in the future whenever the situation arises.

Really good match between Cena and Jericho and even more impressive considering they had technically already wrestled earlier in the night. One thing I don't get though was the ending. If it wasn't a botch, I don't really get what they were going for there. For instance, if Jericho did it to intentionally lose, what was the point of wrestling such a hard-fought match, especially one he had the upper hand in for a lot of the time? Why not just get counted out at the beginning or something?

And after Jericho and Edge's backstage segment, I'm hoping they stick together, since their initial run as a team got cut short.

Khali/Dibiase was more or less a squash. And while I know everybody hates Khali, at least they're doing something fairly interesting with him right now with the Nexus stuff.

The main event was decent and Miz looked good by getting to hang with Orton. I didn't notice Orton getting pissed at the Miz in the match, but I was slightly distracted for some of it. I do like the current title picture with Sheamus and Orton feuding over the belt and Miz hovering around on the outside.

2.9 for tonight.

And on a random note, with Edge and Jericho off of Team Cena and Bret Hart appearing next week, I'm hoping the Hart Dynasty are replacements for Edge/Jericho (though I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a 7 on 5 match at SummerSlam for more drama).

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crofty]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-kxxFjiD6s

Orton didn't get to pose and be "The Viper!!" for as long as he wanted.

Orton's an immature child for reacting as he did and only calling greater attention to the screw up and making a story of it. But be fair. If Kofi fucked up a planned spot he fucked up a planned spot. It doesn't really matter if you or I think it was a silly spot. Kofi failed at his job.

Also that's the SECOND time Randy flipped on Kofi for a timing fuck up. It happens at like 3:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtrAtq7Z3Wg&feature=related

So maybe Orton had a case of Kofi making a habit of missing cues and fucking up the ending of matches as a result. Again, Orton's a child for behaving the way he does but none of that absolves Kofi or removes Orton's right to be annoyed. HOW he reacts is another story.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Biff_Manly
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1143
Registered 6-16-2006

Mood: Ridiculous

posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That last match just left me confused.

I mean, Orton is supposed to be the face, but because he can't really wrestle he doesn't know how to wrestle like a face. So Miz, was stuck having to basically cancel out his heel activities for a lot of the match. That one move that Miz did, the back breaker to neck breaker (or reverse that) should be his finisher. That looked awesome. Of course Orton kicked out.

It just seemed to me like the audience, while they will cheer for the RKO really has no idea who to cheer or boo just because of the suck that Orton brought. Cole said vintage Orton a couple of times and tried to explain his plodding slow walk as "stalking".

So you have Miz who I think could pull off a face turn right now, even though I like him as a heel. Sheamus who I don't think anyone really buys as the champ. He's not even worth booing. And Orton, who has the theme song, the douche pose, and the RKO as the only reason why anyone would cheer him. At least they are smart and keeping Orton off the mic while letting Miz talk.

I did like when Shaemus called Orton a turd generation wrestler.

I like Miz alot. Never thought I would say that. He's got the mic and he's picking up the skill level in the ring. Morrison just might end up the Jennetty.

The rest of the show? I liked how Edge did the mad dash through the crowd. Smart move. Fits his character perfect.

I missed the Jericho/Cena stuff. I am going to have to catch up on that.

Right before Melina did her "I'm back!" scream and really lame leg drop move, she did a killer front sweep type of thing--what was that and wouldn't that be a better finisher for her? Oh, and Melina looked as hot as she ever has and I got to believe her in those jeans has got to be illegal in some areas of the bible belt because my god that ass looked good!

"Walter: I can solve everything by making this gramophone have sex with time."
--SCSA's Fringe on Ice Holiday Spectacular.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
re: Melina's return

My first thought was....so THAT's where Mickie James' wardrobe went.

[Edited on 8-3-2010 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

C.A.C.A.
And I am AWESOME

Posts 148
Registered 3-28-2010
Location Hollywood

posted on 8-3-2010 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Biff_Manly

I did like when Sheamus called Orton a turd generation wrestler.

I thought how much I love shoot comments that aren't supposed to be shoot comments when he dropped that one too. In fact, I think I'll be calling him, "Turd Generation Wrestler Randy Orton," from now on.

Wade Barrett continues to carry this show for the last two months but I'm not sold on him breaking out as a huge star after this angle is done yet. Being continually presented as the smartest man on the show and the one who everybody else has to react to will only continue to pay dividends for him once this angle has run it's course though.

2.4 for the hour and a half I saw.

The finest catch-as-catch-can professional wrestling match of the last decade now available for you to own!

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2010 at 05:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I wonder what would happen if they put Orton in his place? I mean on one hand, yes he would be a good fit for TNA (and could retain his name), not that they could afford to pay him the same as the WWE, and he would have to do indy shows to bump his pay.... can't see that happening. Maybe he could go to Hollywood and take minor roles in straight to dvd bargin bin films (oops already going to do that, sorry WWE films) On the other, he'd do what exactly if Vince didn't take his side... have bad matches to show them?

I think it's adorable that you think this ever has any chance of happening. How many times do we have to say "oh, surely this time will be the final straw!" before we finally just sadly shake our heads and accept that Randy Orton is a man who gets an infinite supply of straws? How many divas has that guy chased out of the company? How many male wrestlers, for that matter (at least one with Kennedy)? How many hotel rooms does he have to trash, or fans does he have to allegedly get into altercations with, or drug tests does he fail, or gym bags does he have to poop in before we make our peace with the fact that Randy Orton is never, ever going to be forced out of the WWE? It's been almost 8 years of this shit with him and we've never heard so much as "boo!" about Vince being fed up with him. And remember that Vince is the same guy that supposedly depushed Jack Swagger because Swagger supposedly smokes cigarettes. Vince is a petty, vengeful tyrant of a man who is not above punishing and firing his employees for minor, inconsequential infractions. And yet Orton has gone not only unpunished, but rewarded for his behavior. Hell, the rules regarding the drug testing policy have supposedly been rewritten at least once just to keep them from applying to him. So I think it's safe to say that at this point, Orton is only punished if he is caught standing over the bloody corpse of a McMahon grandchild, and even then it's probably only a 30-day (paid) suspension, unless of course he is eating the corpse, in which case the suspension may be extended to 60 days, because cannibalism is icky.

Orton's not going anywhere until he is old, broken down, and useless to Vince. He is essentially this generation's Bob Holly, only with a main event push and no Brock Lesnar to break his neck (yet, so maybe Khali or David Otunga will end up being useful for something).

quote:
Originally posted by Biff_Manly
Morrison just might end up the Jennetty.

Which has a strange irony to it, because Joey Mercury is the Jannetty of that Morrison team. Hell, Mercury is perilously close to out-Jannettying Jannetty.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Warrior
Showstopper

Posts 593
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Bishop, CA

Mood: What mood?

posted on 8-3-2010 at 06:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I doubt Miz, Morrison or Mercury could wrestle a 4.5 match with Angle like Janetty did though

Never buy a keyboard from a Ferengi.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2010 at 08:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lol, don't worry Chis is Good, I have no doubt that we'll be seeing Oront grace a WWE ring for many many years to come... I just can't understand WHY he gets the breaks/treatment that you outlined above.

I mean, he's not the top guy. He causes a lot of problems either through childish or incompetent behaviour backstage. Ratings seem to plummet when he's pushed into the champion role, and he's of questionable talent.

Hell, even being HHH or HBK's buddy only takes you so far, lol.

I just really am baffled what it is that keeps Vince so firmly in his corner? Could every single internet story about Orton's shady doings be wrong?!?

I'm left to assume that Orton has some kind of photographic evidence of Vince cornholing Hornswaggle on top of Chris Benoits dead body.... which they nibbled on afterwards just to make it extra icky as you mentioned.

southermagu
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1214
Registered 1-11-2006
Location Louisville

Mood: APOLOGY!!

posted on 8-3-2010 at 12:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jannetying: The process of being a Jannety. to have your career and life descend to a level similar to that of Marty Jannety.

I have a new favorite word.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   southermagu 's Yahoo
C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 8-3-2010 at 01:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The issue with Orton/Miz supposedly happened because Orton felt Miz made it too obvious the RKO was coming and Randy likes to make it come out of no where. I didn't watch the show last night, maybe it was edited out given it was a taped show.

For wahtever reason Orton is a lockerroom leader, but more of "one of the boys" type than being seen as close to management.

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1804
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-3-2010 at 02:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought the match was solid between Orton and Miz. Again, what's been said earlier, they may have edited the shit out of it for all we know.

I actually like Orton and don't have the hate most people have for him on this site. His face turn has been handled well, unlike the disaster that was his original turn back in 2004.

Also, it's a known fact that the road agents worship the ground he walks on. Most mid carders have only positive things to say about him, example London and Kendrick during their last stint in the WWE.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

C.A.C.A.
And I am AWESOME

Posts 148
Registered 3-28-2010
Location Hollywood

posted on 8-3-2010 at 03:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If they put the title on Turd Generation Orton and lose another .75-1.25 worth of ratings points in the wake of the switch then you can start wondering about Turd Generation Wrestler Randy Orton getting put in his place no matter how many ring rats outside the retaining barrier try and shatter crystal when he fucks the ring.

It's more than OK to stop trying to compare either Mizan or the fake singer of the Doors to HBK now, neither of those two are coming anywhere near to filling that particular pair of wrestling boots anytime in their lives. Perhaps New Jack and Mustafa would be more appropriate of an analogy instead? Nope, that won't work either because New Jack cut more believable promos in retrospect. Maybe Jericho and Storm then, except that's an insult to one of the all time greats as well as the finest in ring student to come out of Calagry's most famous basement too all around IMO. So in that case, let's just settle with one becoming RoadKill and the other Danny Doring, yeah, that seem about right for those two.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2010 at 04:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you think New Jack was a better promo guy than Miz, you're out of your fucking mind.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-3-2010 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Show was pretty OK for being pre-taped.

Everything Edge/Jericho (promos and matches, and the major angle of them re-uniting as the anti-Cenas) ruled harder than it sounded "on paper."

Agreed that everything now seems in place for Cena/Bret vs. Edge/Jericho to be a set-up for the Hart Dynasty replacing them on Team Cena, or, at the very least, kick-starting a Harts vs. Edge/Jericho title feud. That works for me in more ways that I can verbalize.

Miz/Orton wasn't nearly as atrocious as I'd been lead to believe it might have been, but then again: we saw 10 relatively unobjectionable on-screen minutes out of what had been reported as closer to an overlong 20 minute live match. They might have taken an entire 8-minute segment's worth of the early/sucky moments out (after Sheamus appeared, before they returned from the one ad break) for all we know, and just done a few tiny strategic face-saving snips towards the end, and voila: it doesn't look too bad.

And it would also explain why they padded the show with all the stupid hype for Cena's new movie that doesn't even come out for 2 more months. They needed SOMEthing to fill the time left after they cut the main event in half....

I just glad I'm not the only one who caught "Turd Generation Wrestler" and immediately found it fitting. Sometimes even *I* get bored with my hyperbolic anti-Orton rhetoric, but that one got my spiked my Douche-o-Meter almost as good as the seminal moment when I saw Randall sipping a fruited beer.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 8-3-2010 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since all the post # driven status tie to wrestling (Rated R Superstar, The Great One, Showstopper, etc)....

Turd Generation Wrestler would be a nice add to the mix.

Don't Mess With Texas

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 8-3-2010 at 06:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sure - and wherever KVK is at, that's what it should be. Or, maybe just for KVK?

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top