The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dream matches we'll never see (or missed opportunities for 5-star matches)
nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003
Location Halifax, Nova Scotia

Mood: Superior

posted on 3-17-2010 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dream matches we'll never see (or missed opportunities for 5-star matches)

For this thread, I want to set a rule that these matches had to have been possible at some point. I don't want this to become something like Big Van Vader circa 1988 vs Triple H circa 2002. These are matches that could've happened but didn't due to unforseen circumstances. Here are some of mine:

Triple H vs Brock Lesnar:
I know the 2 of these guys were in a triple threat match together with The Rock at the Global Warming tour. They never actually had a one-on-one confrontation. This was a match I was itching for before Brock left the company. I think this definitely could've been Wrestlemania calibre. What would the wrestling world look like if Wrestlemania 21 was headlined by these 2 instead of Triple H/Batista? Would Batista have even gotten over the way he did? One can only speculate.

Shawn Michaels vs Eddie Guerrero:
Once again, Wrestlemania calibre match. I didn't realize this never happened until Eddie died. Shawn Michaels had a pretaped segment where he reflected on how he knew Eddie. He said he never got a chance to wrestle him but always had respect for him.
I've realized recently that Eddie never really got a stand-alone Wrestlemania moment. WMXX would be the closest thing (. His match with Angle was fantastic but got outshone by Benoit's match. I think this never-to-be-seen bout could have provided Eddie with that moment.

Undertaker vs John Cena (Wrestlemania streak match):
This one I can't really say is a missed opportunity yet seeing as the streak is still going. But it is in strong contention this year and I am beginning to suspect HBK will end it. In the event that he doesn't, disregard this.
Honestly, I think this match could be huge. Superman Cena vs The Streak. Can he end it? Is there anything else on the line? I doubt it would reach the heights HBK/Taker has (and probably will) but I do think it would go down as one of Taker's more memorable Wrestlemania bouts alongside Triple H, Ric Flair, Batista and Edge.

CM Punk vs Samoa Joe (on either a WWE or TNA stage):
I know this has happened in ROH and that it was awesome. I've seen at least 2 of their bouts, including the one that came to a time limit draw after an hour. These guys bring the goods together. This bout kinda breaks my rules because it's hard to say that it will never happen. But I do think it's safe to say that CM Punk is a through and through WWE guy and that Samoa Joe is a through and through TNA guy so the odds are slim.
Their ROH matches were so awesome that I would love to see these guys tear it up on an international stage.

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 3-17-2010 at 02:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Austin vs. Hogan and Austin vs. Goldberg are two that come to mind pretty quickly.

I remember the PPV in 2007 before the Benoit situation that was supposed to feature Benoit vs. Punk, which was the whole reason I bought that PPV only Benoit no showed so we got Punk vs. Nitro, instead (which led to Nitro becoming Morrison) and it only got worse from there. I was also really hoping for Benoit to jump ship to TNA at the time because I wanted Benoit vs. Joe pretty badly.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-17-2010 at 03:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nilesanderson Triple H vs Brock Lesnar

I've always heard that a WrestleMania feud was intended for the two, but was obviously scrapped due to Brock leaving. Who knows if that's true or not, but it is one of those "It was supposed to happen" things that I've heard more than once around the web.

quote:
Originally posted by nilesanderson Shawn Michaels vs Eddie Guerrero

They were set to be on opposing teams at Survivor Series 2005, but Eddie died two weeks before the PPV. I remember being psyched at the time, because it was the first time we would (potentially) get to see them lock up in the ring. Man, an extended Eddie/Shawn feud and the matches that would have resulted from it would have been all kinds of awesome.

And I know they've wrestled in tag matches, but a Shawn Michaels/John Morrison match would be really good.

EDIT: Oops, I'm an idiot. I forgot the thread was for dream matches we'll never see and we could still very well see Michaels/Morrison, so disregard that.

[Edited on 3-17-2010 by the goon]

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

DrBoz
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1038
Registered 1-2-2006
Location Indiana

Mood: Bubbly!

posted on 3-17-2010 at 04:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Austin/Goldberg is the one I think of first as well. I don't know that the match itself would've been particularly awesome, but the spectacle attached to it would've been insane.

I don't know that this qualifies since their careers paths barely intersected, but Cena/Rock is something I would've liked to have seen. It's actually something I think can still happen. Despite the assumption Rock will never wrestle again, I would not be shocked if he came back for one more match. It would almost be the reverse of Rock/Hogan if Cena/Rock happened.

CBGWO!!! She is my everything!

Jazzman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1167
Registered 3-10-2003
Location Worldwide

Mood: About to change

posted on 3-17-2010 at 11:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Since we're counting Taker-Cena, I take it matchups that had happened but not when it would have meant the most count. Therefore, my choices.

Hogan-Flair 1991-1992
This is BY FAR the biggest dropped ball in wrestling booking. I recognize they ran the house show circuit in 1991 but if it didn't happen on TV,... And yes, I know they booked themselves into a corner with Hogan having to disappear from public view, but I would have even rather had the schmozz finish at WM than for it to not have happened at all.

Runner-Up (Of those not mentioned)

Brock Lesnar vs Batista 2005
Picture Lesnar returning after the NFL attempt failed, ready to reclaim the top spot on SmackDown, and Batista at his absolute peak of popularity in the summer of 05. Not a workrate dream but about as big a match that could be created at the time.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 03:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jazzman Hogan-Flair 1991-1992

Yeah, that may even top the Invasion and Matt Hardy/Edge in the "angles the WWE couldn't possibly fuck up, but did" category. I know there are sometimes outside factors involved that affect these things, but it's pretty insane to think that Hogan/Flair could have headlined WrestleMania VIII and didn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzman Brock Lesnar vs Batista 2005

I remember when it almost seemed like a done deal that Lesnar was coming back to the WWE (they even had some story up on WWE.com of Brock visiting the WWE offices) and then it all fell apart. Who knows what would have happened if he had come back, but I'm sure him facing Batista would have happened at some point.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 03:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did Benoit ever have a 1-on-1 match with Lesnar? Benoit vs Danielson would have also been a sweet, strong style match.

Samoa Joe vs the Rock would have been fun purely for the Samoan Angle. Umaga v Joe could have been fun for the Samoan angle, but also because they were 2 big, athletic, hard hitting guys that could put on a show. (I shudder to think what would have happened if 2 samoans had heabutted each other).

I'd love to see AJ Styles vs Shawn Michaels/Jericho/Benoit/Morrison.

Brock vs Lashley could have been great, as could Angle vs Lashley.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 03:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Benoit and Lesnar did indeed have a one on one match, on Smackdown in 2003 for the WWE title (and as would be expected, it was a damn good match). Part one on YouTube can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ9NwXrxumk

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 03:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks. Also, I'd like to see everybody I named to fight AJ Styles, also fight Austin Aries. The guy is fantastic.

I also want to see Low-ki vs Yoshi Tatsu, just so Yoshi can finally learn the meaning of a stiff kick.

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

Mood: Bitey

posted on 3-18-2010 at 04:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Benoit v AJ Styles. That would have been a nice match, AJ can bring it against mat wrestlers and Benoit could make a passable flier when he had too.

CM Punk v Eddie Guerrero. Feasible, sort of. Punk signed with OVW in Sept of 05 and Guerrero didn't pass untill Nov of 05. In the realm of fantasy, Eddie's Lie Cheat and Steal thing against what Punk's doing now with the SES would be promo gold.

Ricky Steamboat v. Sting: Put this around, let's say...92, when Sting was finally getting comfy in his main event shoes and Steamboat could still bring it with the best of them. The no face v face thing of that era killed off that match idea though.

Lance Storm V CM Punk. Also a nice little match with possibilities, even if Storm has all the charisma of a wooden plank.

Storm and Benoit must have wrestled once right?

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 05:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MayhemNX
CM Punk v Eddie Guerrero. Feasible, sort of. Punk signed with OVW in Sept of 05 and Guerrero didn't pass untill Nov of 05. In the realm of fantasy, Eddie's Lie Cheat and Steal thing against what Punk's doing now with the SES would be promo gold.

Holy shit, that could have been one of the biggest money making angles WWE could have ever done. I'm getting wistful just thinking about it.

I know it was supposed to happen but I'm surprised nobody said Austin vs. Brock. I know Austin was past his prime by then and I agree with Austin that WWE was dumb for wanting to make it a throwaway Raw match instead of the PPV blockbuster that it could have easily been, but done right, even with Austin's limitations, that could have been an awesome match and made Brock before Rocky did.

I am surprised that Brock and Triple H never crossed paths, and I don't remember Triple H and JBL ever really meeting up. Heel JBL vs. heel Triple H could have been pretty cool.

I remember reading in Bret's book that Bret vs. Warrior was supposed to happen at one point but didn't because of Warrior's general flakiness and unreliability, but this was when Bret had become a big deal and wouldn't have been squashed so that actually could have been a good match if Warrior played ball with Bret like he did with Savage.

For that matter, I remember Warrior and Undertaker feuding on TV and I know they wrestled at house shows, but never once had a match against each other that I recall on TV or PPV. Same with LOD and Demolition

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1663
Registered 1-15-2006

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 05:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Randy Savage / Ricky Steamboat II, Wrestlemania 4. They were in the same damn tournament bracket, and they let Valentine go on instead so the heel/face stuff isn't screwed up.

Hulk Hogan / Bam Bam Bigelow, post-Survivor Series 1987. Bigelow was on fire as a big man, and if he had turned that fall/winter, it would have made him mega-hot.

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

posted on 3-18-2010 at 05:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I honestly think they let Savage and Valentine happen rather than Steamboat Savage again is that if they did go on, Savage had to wrestle what, two more times? They couldn't tear the house down again, and anything they put up would have been a huge disappointment compared to 3.

Quantum Fetish Mechanics: The act of thinking up a new type of fetish causes that fetish to exist. Someone probably has a website dedicated to it. Schrodinger's cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by peanut butter and elbows.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2725
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-18-2010 at 06:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bret Hart vs Rey Mysterio. Malenko vs Mysterio is one of my all time favorite match ups just for the far Malenko would destroy Mysterio. Hart and Malenko are practically the same except for Malenko being about 4-5 feet shorter then Hart. They were both great technically but weren't good on the mic yet had strange charisma. I thinking watching Hart beat the crap out of Mysterio would have been great. For that matter Malenko vs Hart could of been solid

OO's only mammal penguin

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 07:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Now that you bring up Bigelow, I think he'd have been great against Rey or HBK. He was great in matches with RVD and could have had the same Big Man vs Little Man/Human Pinball with those guys.

Did Bigelow ever have a high-profile match with either?

MayhemNX
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1715
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Web City

posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
High profile? Not to my knowledge. Here is, however, a Rey/Bam Bam match from Nitro. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apyILxbfrqs

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003

posted on 3-18-2010 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MayhemNX

This match actually DID happen in IWA in 2002. While not as big a stage as WWE obviously, this match is out there for you to seek out and it's pretty good too. I have it on my external as well as CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio (sans mask) vs Eddie Guerrero.

You seriously gotta wonder what the wrestling landscape would look like if Brock never quit and Eddie/Benoit were still alive. Jesus, the world would've been a beautiful place!

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9445
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 09:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
quote:

I remember reading in Bret's book that Bret vs. Warrior was supposed to happen at one point but didn't because of Warrior's general flakiness and unreliability, but this was when Bret had become a big deal and wouldn't have been squashed so that actually could have been a good match if Warrior played ball with Bret like he did with Savage.

Keeping along these lines, I know that Bret-Hogan could very well have happened around that time but didn't due to Hogan's prima-donna-ness, at least according to Bret's book. They even shot a promo poster for it for some PPV where Bret and Hogan were both pulling on the belt like a tug of war. I just think it would've been awesome since that was during Bret's huge upswing in popularity and Hogan was on a downswing of his popularity in WWF at that time and I'm sure the crowd would've been fully behind Bret had that match come to pass.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7506
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I believe the Bret/Hogan match was supposed to happen at SummerSlam 1993, but Hogan left, so we got Yokozuna/Lex Luger instead. Bret would then have to wait until WrestleMania X to get another run with the belt.
desjr001
Showstopper

Posts 639
Registered 9-18-2004
Location Tampa Rasslin City USA

Mood: kiss my assable

posted on 3-18-2010 at 10:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Benoit Vs Punk. Was that not a tournament bracket for a King of the Ring before Benoit died? The same tournament that crowned King Booker? What a program that could have been.

There is no exception,
that everyone thinks they are the exception.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 3-18-2010 at 11:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I believe the Bret/Hogan match was supposed to happen at SummerSlam 1993, but Hogan left, so we got Yokozuna/Lex Luger instead. Bret would then have to wait until WrestleMania X to get another run with the belt.

Oddly enough, I think that was the SummerSlam where we got Bret vs. Doink (filling in for the fake injured Lawler), instead, which actually ended up being a hell of a little match. Definitely the best match Doink ever had and then a long and brutal beatdown on Lawler that would have turned most other guys heel

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-19-2010 at 02:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How about some tag team dream matches?

I think MCMG is the most creative tag team around and could have 4-5 star matches in any of these pairings:

MCMG vs World's Greatest Tag Team
MCMG vs Edge/Christian
MCMG vs Edge/Jericho
MCMG vs Miz and Morrison

I'd also love to see WGTT vs Beer Money.

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003

posted on 3-19-2010 at 02:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Your post just made me want Shelton Benjamin to quit so that they can reunite Team Angle in TNA.
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 3-19-2010 at 02:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dude, MCMG vs WGTT in Ultimate X?

[insert gif of homer drooling here]

nilesanderson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1643
Registered 5-2-2003