The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (February 5, 2010)
OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 3184
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 2-5-2010 at 06:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Ratings/Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (February 5, 2010)

OO Nation: All discussion pertaining to Smackdown (airing February 5, 2010) should be done in this thread. It will remain pinned at the top of the Current Events section for the remainder of the week. In discussing the program, we'd love it if you shared your numerical rating for the show (from a low of 0.0 to a high of 5.0, in any increment of one-tenth of a point). For full details on the ratings scale and how to join in on this informal "Battle of the Brands," please be sure to check out the OOfficial Guidelines for TV Ratings/Discussion Threads.

Tonight on SmackDown: it's gonna be a show a lot like RAW... that is to say: lousy with pretty obvious foregone-conclusions of Elimination Chamber qualifying matches (that's "lousy" in the old timey sense of the word, meaning "infested" or "loaded with"; it's something I've been trying to work into my vocabulary with greater regularly), and not a lot in the way of major storyline progression or swerves or entertainmentiness... so if you were fantasy booking a show where Shawn Michaels showed up, wanting into the Chamber, or DX so much as submitted a lazy pre-taped promo, FORGET ABOUT IT; you know HBK doesn't work Tuesday nights unless you first move heaven and earth (or at least arrange a charter jet); it gets in the way of his Jesusing Duties back at home...

There are five qualifying matches on tap (some may still be lousy in the common sense of the word, but a few may still be OK): Chris Jericho vs. Matt Hardy, with Jericho no doubt looking for $120 worth of revenge on Matt's sissified taking-it-on-the-lam ass.... Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler, because they once feuded over the IC Title?... R-Truth vs. Mike Knox, for reasons absolutely indefensible in this or any other universe... Kane vs. Johnny Morrison vs. Drew McIntyre, because they originally wanted just Morrison and McIntyre, but then realized "Oh shit, we don't have Kane doing anything on this week's show? And we already taped ECW? FUCK~! Let's throw him in here and hope nobody notices".... and CM Punk vs. Batista, because we need one match where BOTH guys probably oughta be in the Chamber to offset the one with R-Truth and Mike Knox (or maybe it's just because Punk can afford to lose since he'll be in a tag title match at the PPV)...

All that, plus a very special women's match, as Fatty James and Manbeast Phoenix team up to take on McCool and Layla as part of their on-going quest to someday feel like halfway reasonably attractive females without resorting to extreme measures (such as visiting Dayton and employing The Rick's Penis as the one and only true gauge of hotness)...

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Let your voice be heard and your thoughts on Brand Supremacy be known. Don't wait till after 10pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kiez
Fella

Posts 432
Registered 10-23-2002
Location Nottingham, England.

Mood: Bitchin'

posted on 2-6-2010 at 12:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I missed the first hour, came in during the Y2J/Hardy match...predictable outcome. I dont and havent liked Matt since his OK V1 days...and he was only OK.

Missed the womens match. Needed beer and food.

Then got a 2007 womens match! McCool vs Jillian! YAY? McCool wins! I dont need to see this! Screw the vault.

Cryme Tyme suck. The King was here, too.

Rey vs Ziggler was good. Nice action, still predictable, but ok nontheless.

Cutting Edge: Easily the best thing to happen on SD tonight. Without even seeing the first hour. Nice emotion from Edge, Jericho was Jericho, Punk shone, especially addressing the crowds YOU SUCK! chants. Nice ending.

I guess I missed anything that was good/great. Other than Rey/Ziggler and Edge/ Taker. I can rewatch it, if its worth it that is...

Looking at who qualified for EC...Im not super enthused about seeing it, but I guess if Jericho wins, it would be cool....If I were looking for Michaels to make Taker lose his title, I'd do what Edge did and take someone out....R-Truth, maybe?

From the last hour I saw...I'd give it a 2.3. I may change that after if I watch the first hour...

We fight like men, but bitch like women.
John "Realest of the Real" "Thug Life" "True Soldier" "Stone Rock-a-Mania" Cena -BlackDragon

CheekyBloodySwine
rOOkie

Posts 27
Registered 12-16-2009

Mood: Besmirched

posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Most of the matches may have had forgone conclusions but some decent action and nothing really offensive.

I wondered if they might've gone with Kane getting the win in the triple threat as the Brothers of Destruction in the chamber could've been an interesting dynamic. Got no problem with Morrison getting the win though.

What was with the footage of Batista attacking Cena after Raw went off the air? Seems odd they didn't just have it happen on air Monday, did they run out of time or something? Looks like Batista vs Cena is on for Mania. I guess Batista walking out of his match will be explained on Monday, whatever the reasoning Punk celebrating his hard fought victory was great.

As mentioned the Cutting Edge main event promo was damn good, can't go wrong putting Punk, Edge and Jericho together. Punk aknowledging and responding to the 'you suck' chant was brilliant and I loved Jericho's reaction when Punk called himself the saviour of the WWE, subtle continuity, nice! Was weird seeing Edge refrain from hitting a cheap spear on Taker but I like the way they're teasing Edge vs Taker as well as Edge vs Sheamus.

Overall a decent show bookmarked with strong promos, but I might be biased as I just really enjoyed seeing the real face of Smackdown back on the show.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 5254
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I really liked tonight's episode and this is the second week in a row they've produced some pretty damn good TV.

Good opening promo from Jericho. I know some here have been bored with him, but I'm a mark for the guy and thought he did some solid mic work to open the show.

I liked the triple threat match and was really happy to see Morrison go over. I thought McIntyre was going to get the win, so I was pleasantly surprised to see Morrison pick up the victory instead. And though he doesn't have a chance in hell at Elimation Chamber, at least Morrison gets to be in a PPV world title match.

R-Truth vs. Mike Knox was about what you would expect. No shock whatsoever in Truth winning.

Punk's backstage promo was great and his "match" with Batista was interesting. For starters, I'll be curious to see what Batista's reasoning is for walking out (though I assume it will have something to do with him being focused on Cena/Bret and not the world title or something). And like CheekyBloodySwine mentioned, Punk celebrating his victory like he had just won the world title at WrestleMania was fucking great (not to mention him yelling at the ref "Count...count...just count!" as Batista stood outside the ring). At this point, I think Punk is just about above and beyond anybody in pro wrestling right now.

It's pretty sad that Jericho has jobbed so much over the last few months that I wasn't fully convinced he was going over Matt Hardy. If it hadn't been an EC qualifying match, I would have put the results at 50-50. With Jericho's victory, things are setting up quite nicely for him to hopefully win the belt at the PPV.

The Divas stuff continues to be pretty entertaining (especially now that the "Piggy James" stuff is hopefully over with). I'm really glad they put Beth back in a tweener role, because I think that's where she works best.

Good main event between Rey and Ziggler. Rey has kind of had a little bit of a rebirth with me, given the good to great matches he's had with Jericho, Morrison, Batista, and Taker over the last six months or so. Not that I've suddenly become a huge fan of the guy, but he's kind of won me back over recently (though his character still bores me).

As has been said, great main event promo. While I would love to see Edge/Jericho for the title, after tonight I'm thinking Edge/Jericho/Punk would be all kinds of awesome. The promos and match itself would be amazing. And I'm smelling Taker/Edge vs. Jericho/Punk next week (unless they're still resting Edge).

All in all, nothing to complain about tonight. Great promos to open and end the show, some pretty good in-ring work, and nothing offensively bad (though the Cryme Tyme/Lawler bit was stupid and pointless), so I'm gonna go 3.7.

C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 2-6-2010 at 05:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mike Knox getting virtually squashed by R-Truth is criminal. Knox has insane agility for a man his size and should be in the upper card. A feud between a face Batista and Knox would have been solid this past summer.

I'm very interested in seeing Drew McIntyre in the ring without Morrison just to get a real measure of him. I liked Kane's utilization in this match as well, and wouldn't even mind a mini-feud between Kane and McIntyre as Drew seems to be without a strong face character to feud with. I expect to see all three of these wrestlers in the MITB match at WM.

Ziggler needs a name change. The kid can go in the ring but will never be taken seriously. Also his character needs a LOT of depth added to give fans reason to give a damn about him. I'd storyline an angle where he was outed as a plain kid from middle America who moved to Florida to get out his small town and changed his name to sound more exotic and interesting. "The Natural" Nic Nemeth would be a decent ring name for Dolph.

Batista walking out of the qualifier match and thus the world title scene for the time being can easily be explained away with his affiliation with Vince McMahon. Vince could have promised him a title shot whenever he wanted on in the future if Batista helped out Vince with Bret Hart for the time being.

Punk is a natural in his cult leader characterization. They always say the best characters are the wrestlers being who they are - just with the volume turned up. What does that say about Punk?

I do fear Punk is going to end up on Raw come the draft and will be fodder for Cena and HHH. So enjoy it while it lasts.

No point to Matt Hardy being kept around if Jeff is in TNA or prison. He offers nothing anymore.

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12385
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.MontgomeryPunk
Knox has insane agility for a man his size and should be in the upper card.

You know what's crazy? If you had typed that in 2006 you would have been run out of town on a rail and in 2010 I sort of agree with you. I think the problem with Knox is that he just doesn't show any kind of charisma or personality. I could always get behind Snitsky (especially the bearded, long haired, baby killing Snitsky) because he just had some presence that Knox lacks. I don't know if its a case of WWE not letting him have a character or if charisma just isn't part of his package or what. I'm not normally a proponent of the Lance Storm approach (i.e. taking a dull character with no apparent personality and putting him in a goofy comedy act to try to get him over) but the best thing they could do with Knox right now would be to turn him face and pair him with Goldust or Santino for a few months and see if he has any babyface chops. But yeah, he's really come a long way in the ring and they could be getting more out of him if they wanted to.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 3184
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.MontgomeryPunk
Mike Knox getting virtually squashed by R-Truth is criminal. Knox has insane agility for a man his size and should be in the upper card.

Let's not go overboard. Physically, he's Kane-like in his in-ring ability. But he's only just started to add character/persona to that in the last six months, and even then: it's half-assed on the part of WWE, in throw away SD bits and pre-tapes.

But the physicality *is* there, and if the cosmetic issues weren't what they were, the persona thing would almost make me wish for them to reveal Knox is secretly Waylon Mercy's long-lost brother, or something. That's totally the vibe he's going for (and usually getting).

quote:
"The Natural" Nic Nemeth would be a decent ring name for Dolph.

There's already two or three too many "Nature Boys." We don't need a "Natural" gumming up the works until WWE finds a prospect who's a dead ringer for Robert Redford. Plus: didn't Dustin Rhodes already fail with "The Natural"? Might as well pencil in Dolph for PlatinumDust....

The name's not the only thing holding Ziggler back. Just ask Johnny Morrison. There's something really unflattering about dudes who LOOK like a million bucks, but give off vibes of being as nervous and self-conscious as a high-school sophomore giving his term project speech in front of the class. AWKward. These are guys whose gimmicks seem predicated on somehow making me jealous/worshippy of them, and I'm not. Not even close.

JR used to call Ziggler the bastard son of Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect. I disagree. Rick Rude made me want to eyeball-punch his wife/girlfriend-stealing ass; Mr. Perfect made me desperate to want to grow up to be him. Ziggler makes me want to change the channel because he's not doing anything I can't see by just leaving my house and interacting with the unwashed masses.

quote:
Punk is a natural in his cult leader characterization. They always say the best characters are the wrestlers being who they are - just with the volume turned up. What does that say about Punk?

That's he's nailed -- by conservative estimates -- 3 out of every 5 hot wrestling babes who've worked regularly in the industry since 2004?

So he's probably pretty persuasive, and stuff, looking as gross and diseased as he does.... that's a man I want on my Speech and Debate Team, if I ever have the bad fortune to field one!

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
C.MontgomeryPunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1795
Registered 1-6-2010

Mood: ButtViper-y

posted on 2-6-2010 at 05:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Snitsky? I guess he wasn't bad until the shaved off all his hair and dyed his teeth. I never really got into the guy personally. I do think he would have made a much better Fake Kane than having Festus/Gallows try and debut under it.

I'm half surprised that the wwe hasn't made a Immigrant Song rip-off and had Knox go full Brody.

I think there was an opportunity to push Knox on Raw when Batista was injured and needed to be written out. instead of wasting it on having Cena do it, they could have pushed Knox to the moon and had a ready made Batista/Knox feud waiting when Batista came back. Raw was pushing him, but it seemed to be derailed when he wasn't safe with Jamie Noble, knocking him silly with the front thrust kick and still performing his finisher on the injured/out of it Noble.

I don't know a face Knox would work. I don't think he has ever been a face all the way back to his indie days in UPW. I like the Waylon Mercy inspired idea, but I'd put a twist on it where he'd be one of those weird extreme survivalists living off the land out in the Arizona desert types.

I completely understand what your saying about Ziggler (and Morrison). I think that too-camera-aware self-conscious awkwardness would play well into the fact that he's faking it - that he's not the interesting and exotic Dolph Ziggler from Hollywood Florida, but plain Nick Nemeth from small town middle America.

Either way this is just BIY silliness on my part.

I remember Eddie Guerrero.
#K.R.E.A.M = Kassius Rules Everything Around Me

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2198
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 2-6-2010 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Knox had a few interesting interview moments that they never followed up on. Back when he was beating the shit out of Mysterio on Raw, one of the interviewers asked him why, he just kind of shrugged and said "I guess I don't have a reason." It seemed natural and really creepy. He did something similar with Kane recently. I think the guy has a lot more potential than stiffs like Masters or Kozlov. Can't see him being a face, but it'd be cool to see him do his crossbody on someone like Big Show.

R-Truth? I can't fucking stand him. From his stupid raps to his lame matches, he is officially the most annoying wrestler on the roster. Since he's easily the weakest link in the Smackdown EC, I can see someone taking him out before the match like Edge did to Kofi.

FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
R-Truth? I can't fucking stand him. From his stupid raps to his lame matches, he is officially the most annoying wrestler on the roster. Since he's easily the weakest link in the Smackdown EC, I can see someone taking him out before the match like Edge did to Kofi.

R-Truth's grown on me a little over the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't be so sure he'll be taken out of the match. It is possible, but WWE seem to be behind him at the moment. He beat Jericho last week or the week before, I think in singles and in a tag match. He eliminated Big Show and Henry from the Rumble.

I think he's got more potential than the one-note routine shows, but I still find him barely tolerable. I hate him less than I hate Hardy, Finlay, the Harts and Charlie Haas.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7045
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 02:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How can you hate the Harts or Charlie Haas?
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 6294
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 2-7-2010 at 03:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Has Haas even been on TV to hate?

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Chris Is Good517

Posts 12385
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano

FistHiccups hates everything us smarks like, because he's better than us.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 6294
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I try to be as far from a smark as possible, but even I can't hate Charlie Haas. He entertained me when he was on TV, he was a pretty good guy when I ran into him at a wrestling clinic (amateur, not pro), and he's not screwing anyone important to the point where people can hate him for politicking. So, yeah, Charlie Haas hatred...don't understand it much.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So last time Cena fought Batista, he got put on the shelf for 6 months by a powerbomb. So now he's taking powerbombs onto stairs..and the show's not even on the air? How dumb is that? And boo Stryker for not even picking up on that simple continuity.

First, Tara had the nip slip on TNA and now Punk just got new nipple rings? Wrestling was way too nipcentric this week.

Thought for sure Batista took out Bret to get into the EC. We'll see where it goes, but even if he gets a title shot anytime he wants, it's not the same as a shot at WM. And if he doesn't get anything, this is completely out of character.

Agree about Knox deserving more. I can't believe no other big man ever thought of doing a crossbody. So simple but so devastating.

I hope HBK kicks Truth's head off mid-rap right before the EC.

Funny how Punk talks about how he's going to beat Taker right after he was a total pussy about facing Batista. I hate that he's become another full on chickenshit heel, but at least he's getting tons of screen time and nailing his character. I love that RR clip of "whoever it is, I am better than them!"

3 for the show

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517

FistHiccups hates everything us smarks like, because he's better than us.

But he hates Truth, just like the Smarks! And he must also watch Superstars or he would have forgotten Haas already.

EDIT:

How did Jericho not get suspicious when he walked in Long's office and saw white hands holding the paper?

Also, how did we not get Vickie yelling about how she wasn't consulted about Edge's return?

[Edited on 2-7-2010 by theflammablemanimal]

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fisthiccups doesn't like "boring" wrestlers. He's on record as hating shows that feature a lot of wrestling and instead wanting a bunch of talking and midgets playing with action figures. The Harts have no real character or storylines because they're typical WWE midcarders or a typical WWE tag team that is left to sink or swim on their wrestling skills because the writers and bookers don't give a fuck about them. So while some of us may say "They're good wrestlers and for that I like them, so I wish the writers and bookers would give them a reason to be around or something more to do" Fisthiccups says "they do nothing but wrestle and for this I hate them because lots of people can wrestle but I want to see more." Despite the fact that many of us would argue that its not the Harts' fault that they haven't entertained him because they haven't been given the chance to entertain him except by wrestling matches for the pure sake of wrestling, which he's on record as finding incredibly boring.

At least that's how I've come to understand his tastes in wrestlers, or perhaps more accurately booking-projected-on-wrestlers. And that's as I believe him to be in these moments when I think he's just a dude with his own tastes that happen to lie quite the opposite of many smarks... and before he makes some snide anti-smark comment that makes everything he says sound like he just forms his opinion based on backlash against smark backlash and opinion, as CiG suggested.

quote:
Originally posted by theflammablemanimal
First, Tara had the nip slip on TNA and now Punk just got new nipple rings? Wrestling was way too nipcentric this week.

Between this and the comment on Samoa Joe's choice in underwear color I'm starting to think its you with a weird focus on wrestling.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano

Hating the Harts is perfectly legitimate. Having to agree with Vince hoping it was a shoot promo on RAW is kinda too bad.

Hating Charlie Haas makes no sense at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 03:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I did like Charlie Haas when he was doing the impersonations, but as the bland wrestler guy, he's awful. I can see the argument that he's not on TV enough to hate, and I don't hate him as much as I hate Finlay, Hardy and the Harts. But it's close. Because with Finlay and Hardy I can begrudgingly accept they're on my TV because they get pretty good reactions and whatnot, but Haas is just a boring guy that nobody cares about. I suppose if you like Charlie Haas, when he does turn up on TV it's like "Ooh, Charlie Haas is on!" For me it's more "Oh, Charlie Haas is on..." It's not like I actively hate him (I think I only really feel that way about Hardy and the Harts), he's just another guy like Finlay and R-Truth that completely bores me.

With the Harts, some of my hatred for them is because of the anti-wanker streak in me. Not so much with Tyson Kidd, I think he's a decent enough cruiserweight and he has a really punchable face which is good for a heel. But DH Smith has had this huge free pass from smarks for years despite never being any better than Chris Masters. And Natalya is fine I suppose, but she's like a bargain bin Beth Phoenix. And yet, because they have ties to Bret Hart and "worked the indies" they have this smark cred that WWE-bred legacies Rhodes and DiBiase (who are no great shakes, either) don't get despite being far superior to them.

Partly it is the booking as well, but then there are guys that I like despite the boring/unhelpful booking they get - Carlito, Knox, Ziggler, Bourne, Swagger, Cryme Tyme (although that's hanging by a bit of a thread lately), Jimmy Wang Yang, Slam Master J, and a bunch of the ECW roster.

A number of you seem to get upset when I say anti-smark things, but to be honest, that's pretty hypocritical. Look at the way you treated guys like DKBroiler and S Kids when they first posted here. Because their opinions differed from stereotypical smark ones, it was fair game to ridicule them and treat 'em with derision. I sometimes do the same when I meet smarky statements/opinions/whatever that I disagree with. But it's a falsehood to suggest that I have some kind of blanket, all-encompassing opposition to everything smarks say. My favourite wrestlers are Edge and CM Punk, and lots of pure smarks would cite them as their favourite WWE wrestlers as well. And I don't think any of us saw anything useful in Escobar.

Sometimes we agree on what we like about wrestling, sometimes we don't. But if it's alright for you to criticise what I may like about wrestling that you don't like ("lol sportz entertainment sux!") then surely it's also alright for me to ridicule what you may like about wrestling that I don't ("lol boring guyz sux!"). And neither party should get defensive or upset about it. At the end of the day, whether we prefer Batista or Briscoe, Hornswoggle or Hernandez, we're all a bunch of closet cases that enjoy watching grown men roll around in their speedos... Or in their pleather pants.

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1518
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really enjoyed this weeks episode and the overall decision making as it pertains to the challengers for the EC match.

I think the writing is on the wall, who comes out the winner there.....Chris Jericho. Undertaker's is going to get screwed in that match and I have a strange suspicion it will involve Michaels.

The eventual in ring confrontation has been brewing for 7 months between Edge and Jericho. If its going to happen at Wrestlemania, then Jericho is your champion.

I can no longer find the words to give CM Punk the credit he is due. That backstage promo was nothing short of remarkable. Also, combine that with his diatribe at the end of the show, it deserves a fucking standing ovation.

I have to agree that the handling of Mike Knox in that match with R-Truth was ridiculous. The guy has real potential, but it doesn't seem as though the WWE has any intention of developing his character. It's nothing new though, look at how they dropped the ball with a guy like Matt Morgan. He has shown in his time at TNA, that given an opportunity, he can develop into something good, when he's not hamstrung with a terrible gimmick.

Final Score: 3.5

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-7-2010 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FistHiccups
A number of you seem to get upset when I say anti-smark things, but to be honest, that's pretty hypocritical. Look at the way you treated guys like DKBroiler and S Kids when they first posted here. Because their opinions differed from stereotypical smark ones, it was fair game to ridicule them and treat 'em with derision.

Whoa, hold up. Look, I'm not going to pretend that things don't work both ways. That "smarks" sometimes get unreasonably rude and snarky towards "sports entertainment fans" and cross the line past basic disagreement into trolling. It happens because everyone's human. But you're presenting it like we jump on people with differing opinions solely because they have differing opinions. Frank Lloyd Wright is a guy whose opinions of wrestling I differ from greatly and occasionally I'll read a post of his and I might get a little reaction, but he's a respectful and fair minded poster who makes his points well and thus I've never gotten into any kind of flame war with him or thought he was just trolling people.

DKBroiler started posting on this board SPECIFICALLY to counter a sentiment he didn't like and to defend WWE. He routinely attacked those who didn't like RAW and accused us all of being unreasonable and unfair and impossible to please. He made personal attacks against the posters, not the style of wrestling preferred. And I feel comfortable saying all of this because DK Broiler's attitude has totally changed since then I think he's a welcome member of the board. And it has nothing to do with his tastes changing because I don't think they have. I still disagree with much of his opinion on wrestling, but he's no longer expressing it with a chip on his shoulder and that's why guys like me and CiG who once ridiculed him now talk well of him.

And hell, CiG is a guy who I probably disagree with more often than not as far as wrestling opinion goes. But he's also one of the dudes I most respect and enjoy reading at this board because he makes his points well and we never attack each other because he loves Zach Ryder with the fire of a million suns and I'm bored to tears by that dweeb.

There's differing opinions and then there's backlash. And on a board full of "traditional" smarks someone who loves RAW and leprechauns and 20 minute promos and Vince McMahon is going to be naturally more prone to getting wrapped up in backlash. When it stops becoming "I disagree with the general sentiment" and starts becoming "The general sentiment is wrong and none of you are looking at this fairly." Your opinion of Harry Smith is a perfect example of that, because I don't think you're remotely right about your Chris Masters comparison and Smith has entertained me more in a handful of matches than Masters ever has. But this is a totally subjective opinion. Meanwhile I think there's other factors like the fact that much of the reason many of us hate (or hated) Masters was because of an over the top and insanely boring sports entertainment entrance that was terrible when Lex Luger did it, and thus even if he was arguably no worse in ring than many others the added terribleness to his character led many of us to judge him harshly and quickly. And I believe that much of the reason you were calling Smith terrible after 2 or 3 5 minute Heat/RAW matches was because smarks were talking him up so since he didn't knock your socks off in limited doses you judged him harshly and quickly.

But when you phrase it like an objective fact that Smith IS overrated and given a pass despite being objectively worse than Dibiase or Rhodes and no better than Masters... and then phrase it as just a bunch of smark bias and nonsense... well, that's when you're being an "anti-smark" and you're accomplishing nothing except maybe venting some frustration and souring others on their opinion of you.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLopez

Between this and the comment on Samoa Joe's choice in underwear color I'm starting to think its you with a weird focus on wrestling.

Oh my god. I feel like Paul Tompkins in the Lie Detector Skit from Mr. Show.

Granted, I should have said wrestling made me more nipfocused than normal, but how can I not notice a full match blur, nipple rings, and some kind of red underoos on a 300 lb man?

FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 09:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did Punk really have nipple rings?
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12385
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
A number of you seem to get upset when I say anti-smark things, but to be honest, that's pretty hypocritical. Look at the way you treated guys like DKBroiler and S Kids when they first posted here. Because their opinions differed from stereotypical smark ones, it was fair game to ridicule them and treat 'em with derision. I sometimes do the same when I meet smarky statements/opinions/whatever that I disagree with. But it's a falsehood to suggest that I have some kind of blanket, all-encompassing opposition to everything smarks say. My favourite wrestlers are Edge and CM Punk, and lots of pure smarks would cite them as their favourite WWE wrestlers as well. And I don't think any of us saw anything useful in Escobar.

Lucky responded very fairly and diplomatically to this so I'm not going to add much but this: it isn't that your opinions are so different from the norm as much as its the way you express them that gets you on the bad side of some people around here. Like Lucky politely pointed out, you have a habit of posting with a tone of "this is how it is" rather than "this is how I see it" and to be honest a lot of the time it makes you seem really pretentious and smarmy. I'm definitely willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and say maybe you don't intend to come off this way but the honest truth is that you do and that's why I've kind of singled you out- because you do this, and you do it with a pretty noticable ring of frequency.

I know that I'm far from the model poster. I'm prone to hyperbole to the point that I intentionally go over the top a lot for LOLs and I'm certainly not so hypocritical that I can't admit that sometimes I get annoyed at people for disagreeing with something I feel strongly about but I really do try hard to make sure all of my posts have the unspoken vibe of "but that's just my subjective opinion" instead of "and if you don't agree with me you're an idiot". Again, intentional or not sometimes you come off that way. But I'm responding to a very reasonable and level-headed post from you which makes me think that maybe we can get along yet.

And as for Escobar, he was pretty awesome in FCW when he was "The Puerto Rican Nightmare" Eric Perez. I don't know what happened between 2007 and the time he got called up but he definitely could have brought more to the table than he got to show, but the way they brought him up and used him, yeah, he was probably doomed to fail.

theflammablemanimal
American Dream

Posts 7586
Registered 9-2-2008

Mood:

posted on 2-8-2010 at 04:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Did Punk really have nipple rings?

Yup. Maybe that's why he's letting his chest hair grow out, to cover them up.

Cig, your avatar is creeping me out. Ugh.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 5254
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I remember there was a feature on WWE.com a ways back on wrestler's tattoos and in the photos Punk had nipple rings. So I guess he's had them for at least a little while, but I think Friday was the first time he'd been on TV with them.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top