The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lost: The Final Season
Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 2-1-2010 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lost: The Final Season

Only 1 more day until the last season of Lost finally starts!!! I'm guess I'm a huge nerd, but the last 8 months have been like torture for me. I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but if anyone has any ideas how they would like to see Lost play out feel free to fire away.

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Final Season Of 'Lost' Promises To Make Fans More Annoying Than Ever

Full disclosure:
I've watched them all and am curious where it's going to go. It's like meth, I hate it, and I hate myself for wanting it, and I hate myself even more when I indulge in it, and then the next day I feel like shit for wasting my life on it, but then I start wanting it again, even though it sucks.

(I've never done meth, it's just an analogy. Don't call Intervention.)

The "B" is for Bargain!

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't hate Lost. I don't care that much anymore either, though. At this stage its just a book I have to finish because if I don't I'll always wonder how it ended. To be honest, unless Lost comes out of the gate fast I won't be surprised if it becomes one of the shows I let 3-4 episodes stack up on my DVR/Hulu Queue and then watch in a row.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 2-2-2010 at 10:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm more than excited for the premiere tonight.
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2010 at 02:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I missed the entire 5th season because our local ABC affiliate decided it was way more important to air Razorbacks basketball for the 20 people who give a shit about college basketball before March, but I've got the 5th season in my "watch now" queue on Netflix that I can stream through the Xbox, so I'm going to try to get caught up before I get too far behind in this season, too.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought last night was an awesome kick-off for the final season. We got a good death scene (though, in all fairness, I though we already had Juliet's death scene), we got some action (the smoke monster/man in black going postal on everyone's ass was possibly one of the coolest scenes on that show, well, ever), and, of course, we got some questions/confusion (what the hell is up with these apparent two alternate realities?!)

I thought the first scene with Jack safely flying on the plane and then having the camera zoom 1,000's of feet below the ocean to show the statue of the foot was a great WTF? moment and definitely grabbed my attention.

I also liked how, even in the "good" reality where they landed safely at LAX, things started falling apart for a few of them, still forcing them to interact with each other. It will be interesting to see where that goes.

And, since Goon hasn't posted yet, he brought up a damn good point last night where he was wondering if Jacob has inhabited Sayeed's body in the way that the Man In Black has inhabited Locke's. Though, now that I think about it, I guess he hasn't exactly inhabited Locke's body but I guess just taken on Locke's form.

My head's hurting already.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

posted on 2-3-2010 at 03:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The show was pretty cool last night, I'm not sure how the alternate timelines synch up though. Is the new timeline actually a flashback and alt timeline at the same time? Also I have no evidence really to back this up,* but I'm starting to believe that Jacob is going to end up being the "bad guy".

*I do think Jacob caused Nadia's death last year when he distracted Sayeed so I guess I do have something.

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2010 at 05:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm interested to see if the alternate timeline Losties will have any awareness of their counterparts' time on the Island. Jack already seems perturbed and somewhat expectant in this alternate timeline in 2004, as he seems intrigued by Desmond and Kate when he meets them (granted, I may just be reading into it too much). Jack on the Island after the bomb also seems very subdued and perhaps even confused, which actually led a coworker of mine to wonder if the two Jacks' consciousness are crossing. Then again, he just survived a bomb explosion and could feel guilty about Juliet's death, so maybe that's why he's kinda subdued. That's more the Occam's Razor approach there.

The one other minor detail that left me really curious was that sore that alt Jack found on his neck. Is that a result of what was supposed to happen to him? Edward Mars, in both timelines, found a way to suffer some severe head trauma -- perhaps the characters will experience similar fates in both timelines. Maybe Jack will fix Locke, and so he can walk, like on the Island. Mars has suffered head injuries that knocked him out in both timelines. Perhaps Jack has that cut in the alt timeline because he received that injury as the plane went down in the original timeline (though I guess he would have that huge cut on his back that Kate later sews up).

Or maybe LOST is just making me think too much like it always does.

And yeah, perhaps Sayid's sudden resurrection is part of Jacob finding his own loophole?

EDIT: Juliet's scene where she's dying also seems to point to her consciousness possibly being somewhere else. She seems to be talking to someone else for a moment before she asks Sawyer to kiss her. Miles said she told Sawyer "it worked." Perhaps she was flashing between her existence there and in the alternate reality, where she never went to the Island?

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by DriftThroughTime]

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2010 at 05:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good input all around, Drift.

I forgot to mention that I was wondering how much awareness, if any, Jack-on-the-plane had of the island, the explosion, etc. As you mentioned, he was experiencing some definite deja vu when he met Desmond. Then, Kate and Sawyer seemed to have some type of connection on the elevator, Sawyer and Hurley had a little conversation, Boone and Locke talked for a few, etc. Maybe that's where they're leaving it for now, where all the survivors just have a strange, unknown "knowledge" of each other.

I had totally forgotten about that sore on Jack's neck as well. What the hell was that about?! I have no clue where they'll go with that one.

Finally, that was a very good point about Mars suffering a head injury in both realities. I'm sure something will come of that at some point.

Also, something I'll be interested to see what happens is with the airline losing the coffin containing Jack's father. At first, I thought it was going to work to where they still had the coffin but Locke was going to be in it. Since it has been lost, does that mean Jack's father is back on the island?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 2-3-2010 at 10:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
I thought the first scene with Jack safely flying on the plane and then having the camera zoom 1,000's of feet below the ocean to show the statue of the foot was a great WTF? moment and definitely grabbed my attention.

I thought it looked like a PS1 cutscene.

quote:
Also, something I'll be interested to see what happens is with the airline losing the coffin containing Jack's father. At first, I thought it was going to work to where they still had the coffin but Locke was going to be in it. Since it has been lost, does that mean Jack's father is back on the island?

In the alternate reality, the island is completely submerged. I don't know how it affects the "original reality" though. I'm very curious to see how the two timelines converge.

Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For those confused by the "flash sideways," here's a cool EW interview with Cuselof about what's going on. It's safely non-spoilery if you've seen the first episode this season.

quote:
Originally posted by FistHiccups

Yup.

quote:
I forgot to mention that I was wondering how much awareness, if any, Jack-on-the-plane had of the island, the explosion, etc. As you mentioned, he was experiencing some definite deja vu when he met Desmond.

In theory he has already met Desmond, running around the track at UCLA.

quote:
Then, Kate and Sawyer seemed to have some type of connection on the elevator

Sawyer is a criminal who noticed a hot girl wearing handcuffs. He made up an excuse to get her out of the elevator in a way that didn't get her noticed by the cops for wearing handcuffs.

quote:
Sawyer and Hurley had a little conversation, Boone and Locke talked for a few, etc. Maybe that's where they're leaving it for now, where all the survivors just have a strange, unknown "knowledge" of each other.

Or they're just talking to people they sat next to on a plane for 13 hours? Or met in the airport. Seriously, check out the link I posted.

Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2010 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Steve Autism
For those confused by the "flash sideways," here's a cool EW interview with Cuselof about what's going on. It's safely non-spoilery if you've seen the first episode this season.

I just read the interview, good stuff.

And I'm wondering what the significance is of Desmond seeming to disappear on the plane is. Okay, so maybe there's not enough evidence to say he completely vanished (hey, maybe he just switched seats again), but the show seemed to make a note of him being gone without a given explanation. And since he's the one that was jumping around through time a couple of seasons ago, I'm wondering if he somehow "jumped in" to the flash-sideways reality for a little while and then jumped out.

Okay, my head is already starting to hurt and it's only the first episode.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 2-4-2010 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Steve Autism
quote:

Yup.

Yup Yup. I laughed at the shark.

quote:

In theory he has already met Desmond, running around the track at UCLA.

In theory Desmond might never have been at the track since he was only there to train for the race to win over Widmore's approval and get Penny back. But we all assumed that he was court martialed because he went AWOL while jumping around in time, so if he never time jumped he should have never gone AWOL and never had Widmore confront him about that. Mind you, it all could have played out in another way but who knows? Plus Eloise basically told Desmond that he HAD to leave Penny so he could end up the island. So with no island there was no reason for destiny to break them up so while Desmond still could have broken up with her, just because, there was enough significant changes to his backstory to just leave us with no clue what his deal is.

Then again Hurley still won the lottery and went to Australia even though both events were island related. And Claire still went on the plane even though we all assumed for 5 seasons that teh psychic called that so she'd end up on the island. And somehow, something caused Shannon to skip the flight. So really, who fucking knows? These are Lost writers, not people I expect to know what they're writing.

I mean no offense to any of you as you're all good and smart people whose opinions I enjoy reading... but my head hurts after reading all your theories spun from these little things. And I really mean no offense, because I don't blame you. Its Lost. Lost makes people think unsubstantiated and crazy theories to try and keep up with the show. Which is why we all jump to "HE KNEW HER! SHE KNEW HIM!" when logically it was just a bunch of people in a small space interacting with each other in perfectly naturally ways.

[Edited on 2-4-2010 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2010 at 03:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

that was barely a cut scene. it looked more like in-game material. just atrocious.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Stone Cold Steve Autism

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

posted on 2-4-2010 at 03:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLopez
In theory Desmond might never have been at the track since he was only there to train for the race to win over Widmore's approval and get Penny back. But we all assumed that he was court martialed because he went AWOL while jumping around in time, so if he never time jumped he should have never gone AWOL and never had Widmore confront him about that. Mind you, it all could have played out in another way but who knows? Plus Eloise basically told Desmond that he HAD to leave Penny so he could end up the island. So with no island there was no reason for destiny to break them up so while Desmond still could have broken up with her, just because, there was enough significant changes to his backstory to

Yep. It could go either way. It could be that Desmond and Jack recognize each other because — despite other changes — they still met up that way anyway. Or it could be that Desmond, regardless of the island, was an entity who would always come unstuck in time. Honestly, I'm one of those people who likes thinking about the show and speculating about all kinds of possibilities, but really I don't sweat this shit. If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't really care.

quote:
Then again Hurley still won the lottery and went to Australia even though both events were island related. And Claire still went on the plane even though we all assumed for 5 seasons that teh psychic called that so she'd end up on the island. And somehow, something caused Shannon to skip the flight. So really, who fucking knows? These are Lost writers, not people I expect to know what they're writing.

Yeah, but Hurley is now the luckiest guy in the world instead of the unluckiest. And other changes happened for other reasons. Don't worry about it.

FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2010 at 01:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
In theory Desmond might never have been at the track since he was only there to train for the race to win over Widmore's approval and get Penny back. But we all assumed that he was court martialed because he went AWOL while jumping around in time, so if he never time jumped he should have never gone AWOL and never had Widmore confront him about that. Mind you, it all could have played out in another way but who knows? Plus Eloise basically told Desmond that he HAD to leave Penny so he could end up the island. So with no island there was no reason for destiny to break them up so while Desmond still could have broken up with her, just because, there was enough significant changes to his backstory to just leave us with no clue what his deal is.

But if the island got destroyed/sunk in '77 in the alternate timeline, wouldn't Widmore and Eloise both be dead anyway?

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 2-4-2010 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe? Richard knew the explosion was happening and he knocked out Eloise and took her away to protect her. So we know the explosion happened and we know the island sunk but we don't know they both happened at the same time. And we have no idea what Richard was doing with Eloise to protect her or if Widmore was in on it, so we really have no idea if Penny or Daniel were ever born.

But even if they are alive then their lives would still have taken a totally different course. Eloise wouldn't be some weird guardian of time and the island, Widmore wouldn't be an angry and obsessed man looking for the island. Penny might have had a better dad. Widmore wouldn't have had the need to sponsor Daniel's work to find the island (unless he just did it because it was his kid) and Daniel wouldn't have met Desmond in Oxford, possibly keeping his experiments from advancing, him from screwing up his fiance, and messing up his own mind.

Wasn't Walt sitting like next to Hurley on the plane back in Ep 1? I mean, I understand why you couldn't bring Walt in because you can't take 5 years off the actor but it struck me. Then again if Walt's magic powers are tied to the island than maybe the island's destruction means no powers which means his step-dad isn't scared of him so Michael's still a bachelor in NY.

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Wasn't Walt sitting like next to Hurley on the plane back in Ep 1? I mean, I understand why you couldn't bring Walt in because you can't take 5 years off the actor but it struck me. Then again if Walt's magic powers are tied to the island than maybe the island's destruction means no powers which means his step-dad isn't scared of him so Michael's still a bachelor in NY.

I could see them doing this and it makes me a little sad, beacause Walt is the one character/storyline that I really would like to have a little bit more information about.

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Young Eloise is hot.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3569/3488972121_7df22d25c4.jpg?v=0

There was no Eloise in the entire 2 hours. It sucked.

The "B" is for Bargain!

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
they may not have him on the plane, but they can still deal with walt if they let the 2nd timeline make its way to 2007. and i see no reason for it not to.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Eloise is hotter here:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/lost/images/6/67/Ellie.jpg

Stone Cold Steve Autism

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
She's hotter here. (NSFW)

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10969
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Long story short: I watched Season 1 loyally but had to give up on Season 2 after an out-of-town work schedule kept me away from home (and regular TV viewing) for about four months a straight. After that I just sort of gave up because the general vibe I got off of internet discussions was that things had gotten too complicated to keep track of for anyone who wasn't a total diehard fan.

So the question to me is whether or not it's worth the effort to hit up the Lost DVD collections and get into it all over again. I've forgotten most of Season 1 regardless of what I opt to do, so I'm back to the point where it's practically all going to be new to me anyway if I pick up on the show again.

So I need you opinions. Did Lost continue with the same feeling and quality that Season 1 had, or did it peter out and become just another show? Or did it get genuinely stupid and not worth the effort anymore? Will I miss anything monumental by forgetting all about it?

Thanks, dudes.

[Edited on 2-4-2010 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

Stone Cold Steve Autism

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

I thought the first season was pretty amusing, but that the first two as a whole were very derivative and basically hitting a lot of conceptually exploitable points. Even though I had fun watching it, I was really critical of the show from an artistic and creative standpoint. Then in season three, I thought they started opening a lot more conceptual doors and almost going through them, but definitely becoming more thoughtful. Season four I thought they just started crashing through them; the episode "The Constant" is absolutely sublime. There are more and more of those moments coming through in seasons four and five, and looking back I'm a lot more generous with my opinion on the earlier seasons because the creators were obviously laying groundwork to be able to do that kind of stuff. I respect that kind of work. Without spoiling the season opener from this year for you, the dichotomous presentations of John Locke were just phenomenal and heartbreaking.

Basically, what I'm saying is: go rent the DVDs and DVR this season and stop reading this thread until you're caught up.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10969
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 2-4-2010 at 11:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Okely-dokely. Blockbuster TV section here I come.

BTW, did Kate ever solve the difficult Jack-is-a-good-guy vs Sawyer-has-a-much-bigger-dick conundrum, or did she just take the easy option of receiving loads from both of them instead?

Visualizing Evangeline Lily + visualizing Evangeline Lily taking loads = I need at least five minutes in a locked bathroom to myself.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top