The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jericho vs Taker *SD Spoiler*
SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 11-11-2009 at 02:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jericho vs Taker *SD Spoiler*

So when they announced this match last week, I was hoping somehow WWE would get out of it, via cluster fuck at the start of the match. Yet, WWE once again in their brilliant minds..gave this match away for free on SD, in a show most wont remember in 3 months. Why am I annoyed? During Jericho's 10 year stint in WWE, Jericho hasn't faced Taker one on one ever! This was a great match to do after Survivor Series..on any PPV where people would actually pay to see it. Yet Taker beat Jericho with a Hell's Gate at the show. Great job yet again WWE.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

zombiecraig
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 59
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Chicago

Mood: YUM!

posted on 11-11-2009 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I agree with you. Pretty shitty.

I was kind of hoping the recent interaction between the two characters would work as a slow build to WrestleMania.

Guess not.

Psycho Penguin
And I am AWESOME

Posts 239
Registered 6-30-2002
Location Greenacres FL

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 11-11-2009 at 03:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why can't they face at Wrestlemania? Does anyone remember the first time Rock and Austin met one on one? Certainly didn't hurt their WM status. Hell, Flair and HBK met at Bad Blood 2003 (or was it 2004?) and WM24 was pretty good!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Psycho+Penguin 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   Psycho+Penguin 's Yahoo
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4338
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 11-11-2009 at 04:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
[words i've never typed before] I agree with the penguin. [/words]

Seriously: I'll grant an opportunity has probably been missed here, in a day and age where moments are shittily-manufactured by ham-fisted John Cena promos where this isn't "a" feud, it's "the" feud.... but it's also a moment that'll come and go, and can STILL be followed by a bigger, better moment. Nothing about doing Taker/Jericho on Friday takes away from the chances of doing it (and doing it well) at Mania.

In fact, in a world where Edge is increasingly sounding like he's way behind schedule, recovery-wise, and where Hogan (after half-campaigning for a Mania match versus Jericho on radio last month) turned around and signed with TNA, why not start making your WM26 plans, and have them include Jericho vs. Taker as your SD main event? It'll rule no matter what happen(s/ned) (Fri/Tues)day: Streak vs. Title or Streak vs. Dickhead, it doesn't matter....

The only thing that'd be better is if -- throughout all this -- they STILL somehow manage to keep Jericho and Show together as grudging business partners (and tag champs) who realize that the benefits of being Brand Hoppers trumps the benefits of being all catty and in-fighty. *That* would rule even more. Doubly so if you're one of those "slow-burn" people, who'd get off on Jericho and Show bogarting the tag titles while CLEARLY hating each other but NOT fighting each other. Yet. Until mid-2010.

Or maybe WrestleMania 27.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've never really got the "don't waste the first matchup" argument. I of course understand the significance of the "first matchup" and how that can create some extra atmosphere, but its meaningless if you don't want the match. Does anyone anticipate the first matchup of Chris Masters and Lex Luger? All that tagline does is add to an already compelling or uninteresting match.

So you lose a little extra kick. If Jericho/Taker II can't appeal to you then Jericho/Taker I couldn't have been THAT compelling, could it? I mean, unless the two of them go out there on Friday (or went out there earlier tonight) and put on the greatest wrestling match human possible which means a rematch could only be a disappointment... or if they stink up the joint in such amazing fashion that it convinces us they couldn't possibly have a good match... the match is still inherently the same match. A bit less story to it but that was easy story. It doesn't take much to do more.

People WILL accept a good match even with a crummy story. No one but me minds that the Survivor Series matches have no build. TNA fans happily accepted Styles vs Daniels vs Joe for no reason other than it should be great. I think we've managed to forget that almost the entire Ric Flair retirement tour was a colossal disappointment until the moment HBK was announced his opponent and they put on a show that made the last 6 months meaningless.

So if Jericho/Taker is a match we want at Wrestlemania I don't see it as a big deal that its a rematch instead of the first time. Its still the two of them. Its still the streak. Its on a bigger stage and thus almost certainly will come with more fanfare and story and will encourage the players to perform to a higher level for the higher stage.

That being said, I will agree that they clearly wasted something that would have been a draw to fans. That's bad booking, for sure. The first Jericho/Taker almost certainly should have happened on a PPV and not on a random Friday night to build towards and "bigger" PPV match. My guess is WWE really didn't even realize what they were doing as its simple and logical enough booking if you don't go hit Obsessed With Wrestling or something to see if the two ever fought in the last 10 years. So I won't kill them for it because it definitely feels more like a trivia note to me than a "dream match."

But still, it probably was a dream match for some especially since this isn't the first time I've heard it said so it certainly could have been better used. And as Rick said, for a company so desperate to fabricate moments and convince us we care more about what they're doing than we really do, and so stuck in stale repeats of the same matches and feuds, and in general looking for financial and creative boons... tossing a potential one out there with no effort to capitalize on it is a definite misstep.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
SeanSmythe
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 7-27-2006

Mood: Hungry

posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I dont care if its at Mania to be honest, but it is a match that would draw some PPV buys (which they need more than ratings) and Lucky they have been promoting it as a "First time ever". And comparing Chris Masters and Luger to guys like Jericho and Taker, who can actually bring it, is terrible. And for two guys who've been in that company together for at least 10 years, and the name value they actually have I do think it is a waste.

A lifestyle is a terrible thing to waste

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think you missed my point. Of course Masters/Luger would be a terrible match. That was the point. First or 100th time, no one wants to see it. But people WILL want to see Jericho/Taker a second time unless they stink up the place in historic fashion. And hell, even THAT would probably have people wanting a do-over. The point is that "First time ever" only matters if its an anticipated match. It means something because its a "dream match." But I enjoyed Joe/Angle II more than Joe/Angle I and a couple of years later the order doesn't make a difference in the world to me (or anyone else I imagine). Angle/Benoit fought a million times and I must have watched Eddie/Benoit wrestle in WCW twice a week every week for 2 years and it never stopped being my favorite match.

The point was "first time" is a nice bit of garnish but its not the selling point of the meal. If you do it at WM you're selling the steak and not the sizzle. And there's tons of other nice side dishes and already in place and which can easily be prepared to make the 2nd meal an entirely different and worthwhile experience. The first time may stick in your memory but that doesn't take away from the 2nd.

I think I mixed my metaphors, because my midnight snack is making me hot.

Point is, sure, its a waste to just toss a legitimately unique match out there on a Friday night to build to a PPV match. No denying it. But I don't think it really does any damage or anything and if they want to do a bigger, real Jericho/Taker it won't matter that its the 2nd matchup even if you can't throw the "first time ever" tag on it.

Although, in fairness I think I just had all the fight taken out of me in the Survivor Series thread because I'm an unreasonable whiner.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007

Mood:

posted on 11-11-2009 at 02:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Undertaker vs Cena would be a bigger WrestleMania match anyway. It's no less dream-matchy than Taker vs Jericho, and the result isn't as much of a foregone conclusion.

***SPOILERS*** from here on in, in case you haven't read the results of the match: I wasn't a huge fan of it. I was kind of fatigued from it being the third night of wrestling in a row, and the taping was long and arduous. Smackdown's habit of giving bland guys ten times as much time on the show as they deserve does not make for fun times in the crowd - there was a Drew McIntyre/Finlay segment that went on for a good half hour and almost turned into a parody of itself when Drew kept coming back into the ring to attack Finlay. Anyway, by the time Taker-Jericho rolled around, I was ready to leave. The match was basically Jericho kicking Taker's ass, Taker getting in hope spots with his trademark moves, all of which Jericho had scouted. It was kind of like a poor man's version of the Taker-Edge WM24 match. It seemed like the deadman got next to no offence in up until he caught Jericho in a flukey hell's gate for the tap-out.

Psycho Penguin
And I am AWESOME

Posts 239
Registered 6-30-2002
Location Greenacres FL

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 11-11-2009 at 05:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FistHiccups
I think Undertaker vs Cena would be a bigger WrestleMania match anyway. It's no less dream-matchy than Taker vs Jericho, and the result isn't as much of a foregone conclusion.

And *they've* wrestled a few times too! (Although not lately, of course, but the point stands)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Psycho+Penguin 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   Psycho+Penguin 's Yahoo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top