The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The Ring
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 10-23-2002 at 04:43 PM Edit Post
The Ring

I loved it, thought it was scary as hell.

other opinions?

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
beatenlikeagovernmentmule
Fella

Posts 294
Registered 1-7-2002
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: malcontent

posted on 10-24-2002 at 02:23 PM Edit Post
I really enjoyed it... the crowd was freaked out, especially my girlfriend. Great use of imagery and sounds to frighten the viewer, instead of just an all-out blood and gore fest. LOTS of holes in the story though. I hear the original Japanese version is much better. I'll be renting or buying that one soon.

Overall, a good movie. Probably the scariest one I've seen since I bought Suspiria on DVD last year.

Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

posted on 10-24-2002 at 05:18 PM Edit Post
Oh goody, I wasn't verbally beaten down like when I suggested that "signs" was a good movie (I still think it was, tho^_^)

and yes, I've got friends that have seen the origional Japanese version, as well as it's two sequals, and yes, the popular opinion is that the origionals are superior to the American remake.

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-24-2002 at 08:36 PM Edit Post
Shastar - Signs was a good movie. But I'm a huge M. Night fan. Hell, I think Unbreakable is his best. (prepare the stone throwing towards my direction)

What is this Susprisa I hear about?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Damien
Fella

Posts 255
Registered 10-1-2002
Location Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Mood: GO FLAMES GO!

posted on 10-29-2002 at 12:52 PM Edit Post
I hated it....a freakin killer video tape?
More holes than swiss cheese in the storyline.......

Please visit www.flamesgirls.com.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4338
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 10-31-2002 at 05:13 AM Edit Post
Just saw this one, and as far as spooky movies goes, it hit the spot. Not quite the Exorcist, the Shining, or even the Sixth Sense, but frankly a LOT better than series in the vein of "I Still Screamed When I Saw You Put That Shitty Movie Out Last Summer."

Quick thought: when "The Ring" went for the false finish (don't you love using wrestling terminology out of context?), I was actually sold on the happy ending. But, my mind began to wander, and I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if, instead, they did a finish where the movie ended with the audience thinking THEY had just seen the killer video?"

Then, as what I thought was just pointless denoument played out, I started riffing, and thought that they should do a very special, one night only pay-per-view broadcast of the movie on Halloween. With a few add-ons... for one, during this pointless denoument, the broadcast is suddenly interrupted by a pirate video feed (something really freaky and disturbing, but not just a replay of the in-film killer movie). Then it ends in a burst of static and a black screen.

And the coup de grace: since the cable company's got the phone number of everybody who ordered the special PPV, it'd be a cinch to call them all simultaneously at about 1 hr. 45 min. after the movie started and have a creepy voice say "Seven days."

I'm not saying it'd be "War of the Worlds" caliber sensation, but I bet you'd seriously freak some folks out. They'd feel like they got their $3.95 worth, anyway!

And of course, just as I was formulating this master marketing plan, the real "The Ring" happening in front of me goes straight for the "you just watched the killer movie" ending, afterall. Sadly, no phone rang as the closing credits rolled.

Oh well....

OORick
rick@onlineonslaught.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mallrat
And I am AWESOME

Posts 176
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Saskatchewan

Mood: Indifferent

posted on 10-31-2002 at 04:43 PM Edit Post
I haven't seen the American version yet but plan to this week, hope it's as good as the original.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 11-2-2002 at 07:55 AM Edit Post
I just got home from seeing this, and I gotta admit this movie freaked me out as much as anything I can remember. I think alot of it has to do with seeing it in the theater (stuck in 2nd row seats, so looking up at the overwhelming screen), and the sounds, the other people freaking out...
What really freaked me out though was how they always were able to draw you in, expecting that figure coming out of the dark, dead body falling at their feet, etc. (the common scary movie tactics), but never really did so- keeping you on the edge of your seat. I'd relax, then boom... the imagery, the sounds, all that shit would start up again and get everyone going. Sure, the plot or whatever might not have been Oscar worthy, but that's not the purpose of a scary movie. This one does the job.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

stillgreat1
And I am AWESOME

Posts 196
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Land of 10,000 playoff losses

Mood: Done studying!

posted on 11-5-2002 at 07:08 PM Edit Post
How do I get my hands on a copy of the original? What language is it in? What is it called? etc,etc. You all talk so highly of it, I figured I should watch it. (Also, how many movies are in the series?)
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

posted on 11-5-2002 at 11:57 PM Edit Post
The origional Ring was produced in Japan. to order it, you can go to the link at the bottom and order it from Asian Cult dot com.

This is an awesome site, with some really good titles for sale there.

if you are interested in that, I'd say also go for Battle Royale (Whiny High School kids flown to an Island and forced to kill each other), Wild Zero (Japanese Punk Rock band vs horde of zombies. Head splatterin g0odness^_^), and Audition ( I havn't seen it, but the average description is it's too freaky for words.)

Dan

http://www.asiancult.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart.cgi?CHANGE=YES&NEXTPAGE=/ashorr_list_3.htm&CODE=136

New Topic New Poll

go to top