The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Actually a good PPV . . .
#tcb
Banned

Posts 330
Registered 1-14-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 10-21-2002 at 04:08 AM Edit Post
Actually a good PPV . . .

Brock vs. Taker was the best Main Event a WWE PPV has had since July. The ending was actually cool with Brock countering the Tombstone into the F-5 suplex. I know some will hate the match because it was more like Brock and Taker were equals instead of an old biker dude with a lame hand going against the Next Big Thing -- but it was still a good match and that blade job from Taker -- wow!

The WWE Smackdown Tag Title match! That was the match of the night! Kurt Angle is the new god of wrestling, and Benoit finally has found his niche too. The problem I always had with Benoit was that everybody had to always "adapt" to his level, and that we would never "adapt" for anybody. When you have guys like Edge and Rey-Rey going up against the greatest "real" wrestler like Angle and an "so-called artist" Benoit.

Even the cancer event of the show, Triple H vs. Kane was actually pretty good for a match being dragged down by Cripple Itch. Sure it was the usual boring tripe and "Triple H wins" garbage, but at least Kane half-sold the sledgehammer shot, which at least gave the match more life than it would have had if it had ended at the sledge shot.

Flair vs. RVD wasn't too bad, but at his age he should either retire, or wrestle guys that can adapt to his old style and speed. RVD is all about High Spots, which meant that Flair had to try to go at RVDs speed and it didn't quite work. Also having RVD pull Flair's shoulder off the mat didn't help much either, unless Flair is much smarter than we take him for. Match would have been ***'s if Flair was in his prime, but it was only ** -- if that.

The two women's matches were a mixed bag. Torrie and Dawn Marie was very stiff. I won't say bad, because I've seen Triple H matches much worse. The Trish vs. Victoria match was actually good, and Victoria's kick kept some interest in their feud. So call it one great women's match, and one match that was good if you enjoyed Andre the Giant vs. Big John Studd in 1989 house shows.

The Cruiserweight Match I could have done without. The whole Jamie Noble and Nidia thing has been going on for months now and we haven't booked anybody with a credible cruiserweight history to even go up against Noble. Something to ponder when Victoria vs. Trish seems more important than Noble vs. Tajari. I mean, didn't they have one week to set up their match on PPV. Big wow!

The less I say about the "booby-trapped" turnbuckle during Jericho's match, the better. Lets just say, Jericho says he accepts where he is. That isn't enough for Trips -- so he tries to kill him -- just like Vince did to Owen in 1999. "Be careful Owen, the ropes might be looooooooose -- OOPS!"

All in all, good PPV -- much better than that crock of sh*t from last month.

Quite possibly the smarkest man alive... no wait, that's TCB.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Harry Callahan, "Magnum Force".

"Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one." -- Harry Callahan, "The Dead Pool".

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-21-2002 at 06:55 AM Edit Post
Benoit's style??? what the hell is that???

Mat wrestling...check...

Insane brawling...check...

High flying fast paced...check...

Really, Benoit can wrestle any style...and let's look at this...Benoit had a better match with Rey Rey the Angle did because Angle and Rey had a clash of styles where as Benoit and Rey just did what they needed to do...Benoit can and will adapt to any opponet, as well as elevate that opponet.

If angle is the new God, then remeber that Benoit was God before, and is STILL God...m'kay???

Tajiri has a shitload of "credible cruiserweight history" soi that is just a stupid statement. Also, I'm fairly sure that Shane Helms has some history of holding that belt in WCW and the WWE...and didn't Noble start of feuding with Hurricane???

Nice to see you enjoyed the PPV, but just try to remember you are better off not commentating on the cruisers or Benoit, because your personal opinions on those two subjects seem to class very heavily with fact.

sharpshooter
Showstopper

Posts 939
Registered 3-5-2002
Location Scotland

Mood: creative

posted on 10-21-2002 at 08:26 AM Edit Post
I agree, with only a few things to GRUMBLE about.

so a recap.

Jericho & Christian def. Bookdust to retain the RAW tag titles
Decent little mid card, means little tag match and Jericho saved nicely from a possible train wreck at the end. Still think the win should have come from a chairshot to Booker, setting up the singles next month.
** 1/2

Torrie def. Dawn Marie
What's to say? They looked nice, they rolled around a bit and I can wrestle better. However as it's a MATCH it doesn't even get some TNA stars so.
DUD, but not offensive.

Rob Van Dam defeated Ric Flair
Good little match, with RVD selling better for Flair than he did for Benoit at Summerslam. Right result after a pleasureable exchange.

Jamie Noble defeated Tajiri to retain the Cruiser title.
Fine little cruiser match, with Tajiri's kicks AWESOME. NOble worked nicely on the upper back, actually setting up the Tiger Bomb finisher. Tajiri looked a good bet to win it at some points and will soon get over again as a face if he keeps this up.

Triple H defeated Kane to retain the RAW title.
Kane is a big guy, no? HHH bumps around for Kane and makes him look good only to win with screwy HHH win #3, the sledgehammer during opponents finisher to Pedigree 1-2-3. I liked this until the third time Flair got involved and it became clear that Kane wasn't getting a win tonight. Hope for a rematch.
** 1/2

Angle & Benoit defeated Edge & REy to become the inaugural SD! tag team champs
How could I complain without getting flamed. Well I dont want to so, go flame a burger. No complaints, these four rule AMEN. Still doesnt get a perfect score, cause I fell asleep. (Note: as I am in the UK, WWE pay per views start at 1 a.m)

Women's Title
TRish defeated VIctoria
Hoped victoria would win, but there is a lack of face women so Trish holds on. As it's a women's match, I won't bitch and it didnt hurt.

Brock defeated The Undertaker in HIAC to retain the Undisputed Title
BRUTAL, shocked that there was no escape or run in & bump from Mattitude. Brutal match with some intensity & psychology except that Taker forgot to sell his twice broken hand. Lots of blood, a nic espot with Heyman's tie and a cool finish for Brock.

That's my appraisal.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   sharpshooter 's Aim   sharpshooter 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 10-21-2002 at 08:37 AM Edit Post
Um, did tcb accuse HHH of booby-trapping the rope to fuck up Jericho? Even if he WAS kidding...

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 10-21-2002 at 02:15 PM Edit Post
i'm torn. i really want to say it was a good show... but something just seemed to be missing from it. maybe a lack of build-up? the only match i really got into was the awesome tag team match (which was definitely among the top 2 or 3 matches we've seen this year). main event was, well, sick. not quite mass-transit sick, but not too far off... i just didn't get into it that much though. i think because i knew exactly who would win. and UT punching and chokeslamming people with a broken hand kind of ruins my suspension of disbelief. and i'm not an undertaker basher.

world title match was exactly what we all knew it would be, and continues to build to triple h jobbing the title to someone else (who i'm starting to think will never come along). we lose the IC title forever over this? the womens matches were an utter waste of time, in every sense. trish and victoria didn't seem to be feeling it, and who gives a fuck about al wilson?

the rest was ok... typical raw/smackdown matches, like rvd/flair and the raw tag title match.

#tcb
Banned

Posts 330
Registered 1-14-2002

posted on 10-22-2002 at 01:58 AM Edit Post
"Um, did tcb accuse HHH of booby-trapping the rope to fuck up Jericho? Even if he WAS kidding..."

And what if I was kidding?

Besides, didn't you find it quite odd that the rope chose to broke right there and then? Did you see Jericho's fear of trying any of the other ropes for his "lionsault" and went for the standard moonsault instead?

Just remember what happen to Owen Hart after he outlived his usefullness.

Quite possibly the smarkest man alive... no wait, that's TCB.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Harry Callahan, "Magnum Force".

"Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one." -- Harry Callahan, "The Dead Pool".

Timmy
Showstopper

Posts 751
Registered 5-22-2002
Location Eastbourne, UK

Mood: Touchy

posted on 10-24-2002 at 08:41 AM Edit Post
That is poor taste

PSN: grovsie

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12821
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-24-2002 at 08:27 PM Edit Post
that's why we don't like the bastard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 10-24-2002 at 09:12 PM Edit Post
you outlived your usefulness by your 5th post, yet you're still alive...

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 10-24-2002 at 10:58 PM Edit Post
Yeah, I like when people start up on this board and wonder why I always leave asshole posts towards tcb. It never seems to take people long to see why. I mean, it's not like we have a bunch of people that go out of their way to leave flame posts on other people, but yet, everyone does for his dumb ass.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Keith
Banned

Posts 16
Registered 10-22-2002

posted on 10-25-2002 at 04:13 AM Edit Post
Some people don't gave great taste, they go into less filling things. Shouldn't knock the dude because I'm convinced this guy is Roddy Piper on drugs. He sounds like Piper.
Timmy
Showstopper

Posts 751
Registered 5-22-2002
Location Eastbourne, UK

Mood: Touchy

posted on 10-25-2002 at 08:31 AM Edit Post
I would love to know how many other identities this twat has - he is definitely that Bob guy! When we flame tcb he usually signs up for a new persona and defends his other identity. Kinda sad!

I am still convinced him and Captian "Retard" Mayhem were one in the same!

PSN: grovsie

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
eazye
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 60
Registered 10-26-2002
Location Raleigh, NC

posted on 10-26-2002 at 02:13 AM Edit Post
Wait, Benoit has found his niche too. If I remember correctly Benoit was about to get the title before he messed up his neck and had to have surgery. Y2J should be giving Benoit BJ's every week because if it wasn't for Benoit's injury Y2J would not have been champion. In actuality Benoit is finally shaking off the ring rust and getting back into the flow of the show again. Benoit and Angle had the match of the year at the last PPV. That was the first match in a long time that had some innovative moves in it.

Angle is with a doubt the best in the business right now. He has the whole package he has the best skillset and it is amazing at how quickly he has learned how to work reactions from the crowd. It even took the Rock a couple of years to figure it out.

Edge is probably heir to the throne. Give him a couple of more years and he will be king of the hill. You can see the work ethic and desire to be the best in his eyes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll

go to top