The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I Feel Like I'm Posting a Curse Word: "Twitter."
Joeldacat
Showstopper

Posts 760
Registered 9-10-2002
Location Savannah, GA

Mood: PK Fired Up

posted on 4-30-2009 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I Feel Like I'm Posting a Curse Word: "Twitter."

In 140 characters or less:

Twitter has seen a ridiculous explosion of attention. The backlash and hate this 'causes amongst some is fervent. Why?

I, for one, kind of like it. But I feel like I'm admitting to liking Limp Bizkit. Which I don't, for the record.

Okay, that one song was good.

X-Box Live: Mr Whale Jr. Message me who you are, though!

When the plane full of wrestlers crashed in the Arctic, he became known as "Nourishing" Rick Rude.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-1-2009 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've heard the term "twitter" used far too often and I still don't know what it is. If it's another Facebook-type site, do we really need them? And if they're making money, who wants to go in with me on another social networking site?

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7587
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2009 at 02:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Twitter isn't so much a Facebook/MySpace type thing, it's more like text messaging, but on a website. The only reason I know this is because two members of the reunited Faith No More have been posting messages on their Twitter pages, which as a total Faith No More geek, I find awesome.

I don't know why people would use it for their friends (since I don't give a fuck that say, one of my friends has just gone to the dentist or got a parking ticket, or any other mundane daily event), but for celebs/musicians that you're a fan of, it can be kind of fascinating.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Joeldacat
Showstopper

Posts 760
Registered 9-10-2002
Location Savannah, GA

posted on 5-1-2009 at 03:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've got a couple of lead band members with Twitter accounts, and minor celebs / funny people with them - and that's been the best part. Some friends *do* post really mundane stuff; and it's very unnecessary reading... but basically; in my month's experience, it's like Facebook without all the screaming bells and whistles.

Seriously, though, I've had some real life friends react almost violently angry when the site is mentioned, without knowing I have an account. I wonder if they get the same feeling when they hear it in the media as I get when I hear Jack Cafferty on CNN say the word "blog." It makes me feel gross inside.

When the plane full of wrestlers crashed in the Arctic, he became known as "Nourishing" Rick Rude.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7587
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2009 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it's just the understandable backlash something like Twitter gets when all of a sudden it seems like it's everywhere. There was a Nintendo podcast I used to listen to (yes, I am a complete loser) and at the end of each one they'd say "Remember, you can follow us on Twitter" and I used to just think what the fuck is Twitter?

But I think it's great for checking up on people you're interested in. Say you're a huge Phil Collins fan and you find out that 37 seconds ago he just ate a ham sandwich and is now going to pick up a prostitute, that's pretty cool.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 5-2-2009 at 07:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joeldacat

I, for one, kind of like it. But I feel like I'm admitting to liking Limp Bizkit. Which I don't, for the record.

Okay, that one song was good.

It's cool dude. Counterfeit is a good song.

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the best use of twitter is as an extension of relationships you already have. A lot of the stuff people post is fairly mundane, but if they're your friends it's interesting enough to read. People talk about it like "sharing what you had for dinner with random strangers" which is fairly boring, yeah. But if my friend cooked up something swank I kind of want to know about that. Similarly, myself and my associates find each other funny, and there are all kinds of opportunities throughout the day where if we were around each other we'd make a humorous remark. But nobody is around so it goes on Twitter.

It has its place. Wacky stuff, funny one-liners, things people say when they're drunk, etc it's just the catch is that it's only interesting if you already know (or failing that, internet-know) the person.

[Edited on 5-7-2009 by folby]

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2009 at 02:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just started one. It's silly but I bet I'll be addicted before long. And Lily Allen is on Twitter so that's good enough for me.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2009 at 02:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Folby's right in that it's best use is an extension of the relationships you already have. But since all my friends are on facebook and update their statuses frequently, I found twitter to be overkill for my purposes. I joined a month ago and in three days only saw the same updates (or at least same type of updates) that people were posting on facebook -- and usually the TMI type -- and decided to quit. Maybe I'll go back someday, but I don't need another social networking site telling me the same things I already know/didn't want to know about my friends. But that was just my experience.

For the record, Shaq's twitter is hilarious.

fx772k1
rOOkie

Posts 46
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2009 at 11:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DriftThroughTime
Folby's right in that it's best use is an extension of the relationships you already have. But since all my friends are on facebook and update their statuses frequently, I found twitter to be overkill for my purposes. I joined a month ago and in three days only saw the same updates (or at least same type of updates) that people were posting on facebook -- and usually the TMI type -- and decided to quit. Maybe I'll go back someday, but I don't need another social networking site telling me the same things I already know/didn't want to know about my friends. But that was just my experience.

If you’re killing time at work or school, it’s useful as a buffet of major news headlines (CNN, ESPN, etc.), with links to the full story.

quote:
For the record, Shaq's twitter is hilarious.

So is Stephen Colbert (StephenAtHome).

Belmont
And I am AWESOME

Posts 124
Registered 6-2-2008

Mood: Sick Sick Sick

posted on 5-8-2009 at 02:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I looked to see if there's a Rob Zombie twitter and found this image. I'm speechless.

Joeldacat
Showstopper

Posts 760
Registered 9-10-2002
Location Savannah, GA

posted on 5-8-2009 at 04:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Should I know who that is in the middle?

Not that Zombie and Weird Al isn't odd enough...

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3947
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 5-8-2009 at 09:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joeldacat
Should I know who that is in the middle?

Not that Zombie and Weird Al isn't odd enough...

Malcolm McDowell......actor.....Clockwork Orange.....

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7587
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-8-2009 at 10:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And he also played Dr. Loomis in Zombie's Halloween remake (and the upcoming sequel), so that kinda makes sense...but throw Weird Al in there and it gets random as fuck.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3947
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 5-8-2009 at 10:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Same hairdresser?

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

atothej
The Great One

Posts 3058
Registered 12-21-2002
Location Philly

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 5-12-2009 at 05:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was against twitter until I found out about Kenny Powers' twitter page. Now I understand all that it can be.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   atothej 's Aim
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11586
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just signed up for it more as a joke than anything that I seriously want to get into. But I'll prolly get into it enough anyway over time 'cause that's how I am with things. The only thing is that none of my friends really have it because they realize that it's not really too cool. But I'll pressure them to get it for my benefit.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown

Mood:

posted on 5-15-2009 at 06:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My employer thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and attempts to shoehorn Twitter into everything, whether or not the project is appropriate for it. And the mundane "I had a piece of toast for breakfast" twits are annoying.

But Twitter usage has evolved quite a bit in the past year - from following political events to keeping tabs on local traffic and weather, it's become quite useful.

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by Laner]

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 5-15-2009 at 08:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://twitter.com/Helen_Keller

Edit-- Also,

[Edited on 5-15-2009 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7413
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-15-2009 at 10:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Loved it, stole it, passed it off as my own original find.

Punker, you give me most of my material for any given week. Thanks.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top