The Online Onslaught Forums


By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: John Cena vs. The Rock at WM 26?? Cena challenged him!
promoter2003
The Rowdy One






Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-28-2009 at 09:02 PM Edit Post
John Cena vs. The Rock at WM 26?? Cena challenged him!

WWE star John Cena says he wants to wrestle "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson at WrestleMania 26 for a one-night-only showdown of action stars. Cena says he hasn't issued a formal challenge to Johnson, but he would like to get Johnson in the ring once.

"I've been trying to wrestle him," Cena told MTV's Josh Horowitz at a Cold Stone Creamery in New York City. "It's not that he won't accept the challenge. He truly has a full plate."

Cena played the "WWE Universe" card that he thinks the audience would like to see Johnson back on WWE TV.

"What a better showdown - Dwayne Johnson - or The Rock or whatever he wants to be called - versus John Cena at, let's say, WrestleMania 26," Cena said. "I'm not even saying I'm going to win. He's a hell of an athlete. God-given ability. One of the nicest people ever to grace a WWE ring. I'd just like to get him back for a night."

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_30998.shtml

[Edited on 3-28-2009 by promoter2003]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion






Posts 2779
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-28-2009 at 09:35 PM Edit Post
The only way I could see this happening is if Wrestlemania 25 tanks so hard that they decide to toss a huge amount of cash at Rock to try to rebound with 26. Even then I don't see what Rock has to gain from it, but money has been known to be convincing.





OO's only mammal penguin

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   TownOfDalem 's Aim
nsuking2005
Showstopper






Posts 537
Registered 12-24-2007
Location TX
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-29-2009 at 06:20 PM Edit Post
The Rock has done everything there is to do in wrestling, and has nothing left to prove. Not to mention, with the direction he's trying to go with his career, a WWE appearance wouldn't be exactly conducive to that.

Plus, Cena's kind of the minor leagues compared to The Rock. As much as I'd love to see The Rock come back for a brief time, I wouldn't wanna see him wasting his time in a comeback match with Cena.






View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
madiq
Crusader for Pure Truth






Posts 2131
Registered 7-5-2002
Location Brooklyn, New York, the capital of the Universe
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-29-2009 at 08:58 PM Edit Post
Plus, The Duane doesn't like John Cena.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   madiq 's Aim
blackdragon
The Great One






Posts 3578
Registered 11-9-2003
Location United States
Member Is Offline

Mood: Nostalgic

posted on 3-30-2009 at 01:26 PM Edit Post
I'm surprised nothing came of their appearance on the Kid's Choice Awards. No taunting, or anything. I would have at least thought Cena would mock Dwayne for wearing a dress...





http://blogjob.com/geeksmarksandnerds/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-30-2009 at 04:46 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by nsuking2005
Plus, Cena's kind of the minor leagues compared to The Rock. As much as I'd love to see The Rock come back for a brief time, I wouldn't wanna see him wasting his time in a comeback match with Cena.


I'm not sure I really understand this comment. Cena's the biggest star in WWE today, and arguably the biggest crossover star in company history outside of Rock, Hogan and Austin (and maybe Andre?). If a Rock comeback against Cena would be "wasting his time" then who the hell do you see as worthy of it? Rock's already fought Hogan and Austin several times in high profile matches and none of them have wrestled much since so there aren't really any new tricks in any of their bags.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 3-30-2009 at 05:00 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by FistHiccups
I'm not sure I really understand this comment. Cena's the biggest star in WWE today, and arguably the biggest crossover star in company history outside of Rock, Hogan and Austin (and maybe Andre?).

This isn't really that much of a compliment if the company has really only had three legitimate crossover stars. It's like if McDonald's only had three hamburgers, and you're saying, "The Filet-O'-Fish is the greatest burger McDonald's has ever had... outside of the Big Mac, the Quarter Pounder and the classic Hamburger." I mean, I guess he counts as a crossover star because he's been in a movie that was shown in theaters and not during RAW, but Hogan, Austin and Rock all pretty much hit something close to mainstream media saturation and entered into the pop-cultural lexicon of even people who fucking loathe pro-wrestling. Cena's pretty much an inclusive phenomenon to the world of pro-wrestling, and outside of a few professional athletes who like to mug his you-can't-see-me wave into the camera during games, and outside of a few abortive attempts to put him on regular TV programming, for the most part the world outside pro-wrestling don't give a shade of a fuck about him.


quote:
If a Rock comeback against Cena would be "wasting his time" then who the hell do you see as worthy of it?

How about nobody? There's no obligation whatsoever to provide an alternative.





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Belmont
And I am AWESOME






Posts 124
Registered 6-2-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sick Sick Sick

posted on 3-30-2009 at 08:20 PM Edit Post
Am I the only person who noticed that Cena made his comment at the Cold Stone Creamery?
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 3-30-2009 at 08:39 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belmont
Am I the only person who noticed that Cena made his comment at the Cold Stone Creamery?

Nope. About half the time the wife and I pass one of those, I I wind up going, "CAWLD STONE! CAWLD STONE! CAWLD STONE!" because I am a giant child.





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kane31604
And I am AWESOME






Posts 197
Registered 4-30-2002
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-30-2009 at 10:17 PM Edit Post
How many scoops you want? One Scoop? WHAT? Two Scoops? What? Three Scoops? What?
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark markham
Showstopper






Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 3-30-2009 at 10:48 PM Edit Post
Race to Witch Mountain made a little more on its opening weekend than the studios expected it to, and it beat out 12-Rounds this weekend (the third frame for RWM I believe). That being said RWM didn't exactly set the world on fire with its box-office take. Maybe there could be a little wiggle room to get The Rock to comeback one more time. I know the WWE would love it and Rock vs. Cena, no matter how much we hate him, would be the kind of 'Big match' that has been missing from the manias for years now. This match would be a dream match and make TONS of money. It may be Andre vs. Hogan for today's audience.


The only drawback I see is that for The Rock's part he is trying to become more and more marketable as Dwayne Johnson. Going back to the Rock even if its for one more time does him no good if he truly is trying to distance himself from WWE. IF he did come back, lets say he beats Cena...no way is The Rock here for good, so he just proved that Cena is a pale imitation of himself. Lets say Rock loses...why does he even want to come back if it's just to pass the torch? Further, is Cena REEEAAALLY the guy to get the torch? At this point I'm with the poster that said no one is worthy. I feel the same way about ending Taker's streak this year. I think it's okay if HBK gets to do it, but how long does he have left to be active? Passing the torches/ending long streaks should be done to make new stars. Unfortunately, there is no one on the scene at this point that deserves it.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
FistHiccups
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1249
Registered 6-27-2007
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-30-2009 at 10:56 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Steve Autism
This isn't really that much of a compliment if the company has really only had three legitimate crossover stars.

It was intended as a compliment, and I don't disagree with your appraisal of Cena there. I merely found the specific mention of Cena not being worthy of Rock's time unusual, as though there were viable alternatives. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

quote:
How about nobody? There's no obligation whatsoever to provide an alternative.

And indeed, I wouldn't take issue with the stance that nobody is worth Rock coming back to wrestle. That's an opinion I share. But to discount Cena as "not worth it" yet suggest that a bunch of guys with even less star power than Cena are worth it just reeks to me of blanket Cena-bashing. As I say, it was perhaps a misinterpretation on my part.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 3-30-2009 at 11:15 PM Edit Post
^^^
We're cool. I think I read more criticism into your post than was there.


quote:
Originally posted by mark markham
Race to Witch Mountain made a little more on its opening weekend than the studios expected it to, and it beat out 12-Rounds this weekend (the third frame for RWM I believe). That being said RWM didn't exactly set the world on fire with its box-office take.

Well, if you're referring to what it got this week, you're looking at their week three take, which is still respectable and, given that it's a family movie, probably something they can repeat for a couple more weeks.

Moreover, it's already taken in $53 million (only $2 million internationally, which is going to go up quite a bit). They don't have a production budget listed, but aside from The Rock, the only real names in the movie are Carla Gugino, Ciaran Hinds and Tom Everett SCott, none of whom are going to demand much more than a million bucks each. Plus, it's Disney, which can do a bunch of stuff in-house. So this could be the sort of movie that gets made for $25 million, which means they've already earned back twice their cost with almost the entire international box office and DVD revenue to come.

That's good, and even if it doesn't make The Rock look totally awesome, it doesn't make him look bad at all. He's never really laid an egg in a movie so far, and he keeps making smart choices about playing funny character roles in pretty decent fare, rather than trying to be the leading man in dogshit (which wasn't doing him any favors). Taking this leading role was pretty safe, since it's not like children's movies are generally marketed on who the lead is. (How many kids were going to Shrek for the voices of Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz? Besides weird kids?) Meanwhile, Cena's movie might break even, and obviously is a piece of shit.

Unless he really fucks up and makes a ton of bad choices in a row, The Rock can probably make a couple million per year appearing in two or three movies for quite a while. Why would he want to associate himself publicly with a genre of entertainment most Americans find dumb, just to get his body sore and beat up by squaring off against a shitty actor from shitty movies? It'd be for a payday that's no better than what he takes home already while NOT getting his ass beat and NOT getting free, kinda crummy publicity while risking injury. What upside is there for him?





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion






Posts 2779
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-30-2009 at 11:17 PM Edit Post
The only person even remotely close to being worth it is Cena. He is the face of the WWE. Cena isn't anywhere near Rock's level, but he is closer then anyone else.

Edit: Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain just about all of Rocks movies that received a serious release (read as: not Southland Tales) have opened number one at the box office

[Edited on 3-30-2009 by TownOfDalem]





OO's only mammal penguin

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   TownOfDalem 's Aim
Gobshite
The Great One






Posts 3498
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-31-2009 at 01:38 PM Edit Post
My problem with giving it to Cena is that it would not, in any way shape or form, help his status. Among kids he can't get any better, and if he beats Rocky most will still claim that The Rock is superior, and they'd be right.

The only reason I see Rock returning is to increase a WrestleMania buy rate - and if he's going to do it against anyone, you want a guaranteed great match, where the outcome is uncertain, and the person he goes up against is already 'made'.

So I'd go with HBK. Simply because as far as I can google, they've never faced off before. HBK was only around for the first year of Rocky's WWE career, and they were at opposite ends of the card. By the time 'The Rock' was born and started facng off with DX, HBK was long gone. The only interaction I recall is HBK superkicking him during the first ever Smackdown...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
blackdragon
The Great One






Posts 3578
Registered 11-9-2003
Location United States
Member Is Offline

Mood: Nostalgic

posted on 3-31-2009 at 03:46 PM Edit Post
I hear Rock absolutely hates HBK because of an incident between HBK and I think Rock's grandmother when she was booking her late husband's promotion.

As much as I'm the guy that still doesn't get WM, I would order 26 if we got that main event.

I remember salivating for that feud (not aware Michaels still wasn't cleared to wrestle at the time) when Rock cut his "Sherrif's back in town promo" about how he was going to whip Shawn's ass. Ah, what could have been.





http://blogjob.com/geeksmarksandnerds/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Laner
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1835
Registered 1-8-2002
Location Uptown
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 3-31-2009 at 08:09 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark markham
The only drawback I see is that for The Rock's part he is trying to become more and more marketable as Dwayne Johnson. Going back to the Rock even if its for one more time does him no good if he truly is trying to distance himself from WWE.

Actually, that would be a great way to attract instant heat - he shows up on Raw, after the 5 minute long ovation (and the obligatory "Rocky" chants), he renounces "The Rock" and insists that from now on he is only to be referred to as Dwayne Johnson - and go from there. Have him beat the crap out of anyone who refers to him as The Rock (preferably announcers and such); "Rocky" chants sends him into a frenzy, etc.

You don't want your marquee name (Cena) playing the heel at Wrestlemania, and it would be incredibly hard to portray La Roca as anything other than the babyface - but with the classic "I don't need the fans anymore" shtick, coupled with his Hollywood/Dwayne Johnson persona, they could potentially make a face Cena/heel Rock work. And it helps reinforce the Dwayne Johnson "brand" in the process.

[Edited on 3-31-2009 by Laner]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
promoter2003
The Rowdy One






Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 3-31-2009 at 11:58 PM Edit Post
That is a good idea, but Rock vs. Hogan part two may happen again with Cena in Rock's role and Rock in Hogan's role.

Funny to see fans accepting Rock is above them since he's an actor now.


The very reason he got roles in the first place was because he was a character in the wwe.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 4-1-2009 at 12:23 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
That is a good idea

It's an interesting idea that doesn't do anything to address the fact that there's zero upside for the Rock at all, which pretty much renders it meaningless. Might as well fantasy book two guest referees both in the tank for individual wrestlers. How about Arnold Swarzenegger and Jesse Ventura in a Predator grudge rematch? That sounds fucking awesome, too, and has about the same chances of happening.


quote:
The very reason he got roles in the first place was because he was a character in the wwe.

Thanks for the hot tip, ace, most of us here have been functionally dead for nine years. Is the Dow still above 11,000? My Pets.com stock is probably through the fucking roof.





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
punkerhardcore
American Dream






Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005
Member Is Offline

Mood: Lickable

posted on 4-1-2009 at 12:31 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackdragon
I hear Rock absolutely hates HBK because of an incident between HBK and I think Rock's grandmother when she was booking her late husband's promotion.


Wasn't the original plan for Wrestlemania 22 supposed to be Shawn vs. Rock? But then Rock said no basically for that reason... that he wasn't interested in wrestling Shawn.


So what did Shawn do to Rock's grandma anyway? Fuck her?





Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be






Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 4-1-2009 at 12:48 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
Funny to see fans accepting Rock is above them since he's an actor now.



Above who? Wrestlers? Because, uh, he is. As was pointed out, he makes about three times the money and does about a third of the hard physical labor. Not to mention that as cool as Austin Aries or MVP might be, Rocky is about three and a half miles up the social acceptability ladder when it comes to things you can talk about with people you don't know.

Above us fans? Yeah, that too, because face it, if the Rock rolled into a Red Lobster where you happened to be eating with your wife, leaned over the table, and said "hey honey, you wanna go fuck?" she'd be gone without so much as a glance at you. That can be said for everybody here, and that's pretty much the very essence of being above somebody, right?


Look, the Rock is a character that died six years ago. He ain't coming back for "one more match". He clearly doesn't want it and certainly doesn't need it. Dwayne Johnson went out on top, on good terms, still in good mental and physical health, and he's gone on to do what he really wanted to do in the first place. If only that could be said for more wrestlers. Yeah, he's distanced himself from what jump started his success, and I won't hold it against you if you choose to take that as a slap in the face or whatever, but I don't blame him for staying the hell away from WWE because I can admit to myself that wrestling is fucking nerdy and I'm happy to see Johnson staying away from it.

I'm the first to admit wrestling really lost its magic for me after Rock left for good. It's not all because he left, it's also because of crappy booking/storytelling and just expanding my interests in general, but Rock's era in wrestling was a special one that will never be replicated. I miss him. That's why I picked up his DVD box set (and WWE could easily produce another one).

And for all the platitudes Cena gives about how he'll "never turn his back on wrestling or the fans", well, that's pretty easy for him to say when the movie studios aren't asking him to.





Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 4-1-2009 at 01:00 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
Look, the Rock is a character that died six years ago. He ain't coming back for "one more match". He clearly doesn't want it and certainly doesn't need it. Dwayne Johnson went out on top, on good terms, still in good mental and physical health, and he's gone on to do what he really wanted to do in the first place. If only that could be said for more wrestlers. Yeah, he's distanced himself from what jump started his success, and I won't hold it against you if you choose to take that as a slap in the face or whatever, but I don't blame him for staying the hell away from WWE because I can admit to myself that wrestling is fucking nerdy and I'm happy to see Johnson staying away from it.

Here's two other things:

1. If Rock could talk up wrestling, reference it all the time and promote it in interviews, I would be very surprised if he didn't. But it'll kill his career. Rock isn't above wrestling: Hollywood is above wrestling. And I'm sure Rock has had it drilled into his head by his agents, their bosses and the promotional departments of studios that he needs to shut the fuck up about wrestling and promote whatever it is he's working on and keep his eyes on the prize (i.e. BOX OFFICE). And I'm sure they also tell him to shut the fuck up because his Q-rating for movies and shit plummets every time he mentions bodyslams and other camp BS.

2. Right after the Rock quit and would still do that twice-yearly promotional thing, where he'd show up and do promos, I remember half the smarks out there saying, "Yeah, I love Rocky, and that was rad, BUT IF YOU AREN'T COMING BACK PERMANENTLY, GO THE FUCK AWAY." Of course, now they want to have it both ways: the pleasure of telling someone to go away and the pleasure of labeling him the betrayer for not coming back. The thing is, they were right. Rocky sticking around and always being a potential guest wrestler for the "BIG MATCH OF THE YEAR" once a year automatically delegitimizes and lessens the talent of the everyday roster. How can your #1 main-event star ever be your #1 main-event star when, on the biggest night of the year, he's always going to be conceptually subordinate to the guy who's basically a special guest star? The Rock does wrestling a favor by staying away, because that way we're not comparing him to the current roster and he's not making us stretch our hopes and unfairly issue comparisons.





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
promoter2003
The Rowdy One






Posts 2215
Registered 1-24-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 4-1-2009 at 04:22 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Steve Autism
It's an interesting idea that doesn't do anything to address the fact that there's zero upside for the Rock at all, which pretty much renders it meaningless. Might as well fantasy book two guest referees both in the tank for individual wrestlers. How about Arnold Swarzenegger and Jesse Ventura in a Predator grudge rematch? That sounds fucking awesome, too, and has about the same chances of happening.


Thanks for the hot tip, ace, most of us here have been functionally dead for nine years. Is the Dow still above 11,000? My Pets.com stock is probably through the fucking roof.


Thank you for your opinion, but you missed my whole point and actually proved my point. Why is this such a touchy issue that some people may want to see Rock in a wrestling match? I don't see a problem with people talking about seeing Rock in a match just as other people may want to see Austin in a match or a match that is highly unlikely to happen such as Austin vs. Hogan. It's just fans with their fandom.

The Rock hasn't even commented on it and I think the reason why is that he doesn't want to possibly insult some of the fanbase who watch his movies which are wrestling fans. Not everyone thinks so critical or analyze wrestling and just like to see The Rock again in his former line of work which he excelled at. His agents know that too and that is why you really won't see Rock just flat out knock pro wrestling. He isn't attacking fans who want to see him wrestle again or those fans/wrestlers talking about it. He is not in interviews saying he is above pro wrestling. He is just silently making it be known through not being on a wrestling show that this field just may be all in his past. Yet, some fans take that he is thinking like some elitist. Some fans have just taken that crusade on their own.

I mean the guy showed up for the HOF ceremonies for his family. He didn't have an upside in doing that either.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
Above who? Wrestlers? Because, uh, he is. As was pointed out, he makes about three times the money and does about a third of the hard physical labor. Not to mention that as cool as Austin Aries or MVP might be, Rocky is about three and a half miles up the social acceptability ladder when it comes to things you can talk about with people you don't know.

Above us fans? Yeah, that too, because face it, if the Rock rolled into a Red Lobster where you happened to be eating with your wife, leaned over the table, and said "hey honey, you wanna go fuck?" she'd be gone without so much as a glance at you. That can be said for everybody here, and that's pretty much the very essence of being above somebody, right?


Look, the Rock is a character that died six years ago. He ain't coming back for "one more match". He clearly doesn't want it and certainly doesn't need it. Dwayne Johnson went out on top, on good terms, still in good mental and physical health, and he's gone on to do what he really wanted to do in the first place. If only that could be said for more wrestlers. Yeah, he's distanced himself from what jump started his success, and I won't hold it against you if you choose to take that as a slap in the face or whatever, but I don't blame him for staying the hell away from WWE because I can admit to myself that wrestling is fucking nerdy and I'm happy to see Johnson staying away from it.

I'm the first to admit wrestling really lost its magic for me after Rock left for good. It's not all because he left, it's also because of crappy booking/storytelling and just expanding my interests in general, but Rock's era in wrestling was a special one that will never be replicated. I miss him. That's why I picked up his DVD box set (and WWE could easily produce another one).

And for all the platitudes Cena gives about how he'll "never turn his back on wrestling or the fans", well, that's pretty easy for him to say when the movie studios aren't asking him to.


This is all good and everything, but again this is fans talking for the Rock. Doing the other side of what John Cena is doing making all kind of claims that Rock lied to his fans and so on.

quote:
Originally posted by Stone Cold Steve Autism
Here's two other things:

1. If Rock could talk up wrestling, reference it all the time and promote it in interviews, I would be very surprised if he didn't. But it'll kill his career. Rock isn't above wrestling: Hollywood is above wrestling. And I'm sure Rock has had it drilled into his head by his agents, their bosses and the promotional departments of studios that he needs to shut the fuck up about wrestling and promote whatever it is he's working on and keep his eyes on the prize (i.e. BOX OFFICE). And I'm sure they also tell him to shut the fuck up because his Q-rating for movies and shit plummets every time he mentions bodyslams and other camp BS.

2. Right after the Rock quit and would still do that twice-yearly promotional thing, where he'd show up and do promos, I remember half the smarks out there saying, "Yeah, I love Rocky, and that was rad, BUT IF YOU AREN'T COMING BACK PERMANENTLY, GO THE FUCK AWAY." Of course, now they want to have it both ways: the pleasure of telling someone to go away and the pleasure of labeling him the betrayer for not coming back. The thing is, they were right. Rocky sticking around and always being a potential guest wrestler for the "BIG MATCH OF THE YEAR" once a year automatically delegitimizes and lessens the talent of the everyday roster. How can your #1 main-event star ever be your #1 main-event star when, on the biggest night of the year, he's always going to be conceptually subordinate to the guy who's basically a special guest star? The Rock does wrestling a favor by staying away, because that way we're not comparing him to the current roster and he's not making us stretch our hopes and unfairly issue comparisons.


Now I don't know how everyone just picked up that none of this is obvious to me when all I did was comment on someone's fantasy(emphasis on the word fantasy) booking and I gave an opinion on what I thought was a good idea. Not even saying it was plausible of happening.

NOW here is what I THINK ABOUT THIS.

I think Cena is a Rock mark just like everybody else and just wants to goad Rock into answering him for a match at Mania putting The Rock into a corner.

I also think the wwe is deliberately doing this with "dream match" scenarios of Rock vs. Cena in the CURRENT wwe magazine.

Cena may very well be Vince grapevine to The Rock to come back for WM 26 since so many people all over are griping that Mania 25 is lacking fresh matches at the top with major drawing stars. I'm sure we have all heard the rumors of Hogan and Austin in some kind of match on the internet since the Mania build began.

Now suddenly Cena brings up The Rock close to WM 25 when he drops his movie. The wwe doesn't seem to have a gag order on the guy to stop mentioning The Rock's name.

Notice The Rock is quiet about all of this? He doesn't want to offend the same fans who parts of the segment feel he is above them. The Rock is being humble in hollywood while fans and critics all talk for the guy. The Rock very well knows what Cena is doing may be a work to get interest for Mania.

Personally, I think The Rock will have another match, but it will be when he feels the time is right. May be tomorrow, may be next year, may be in another 10 years just like Hogan's long absence from the wwe.

The Rock is still young. The wwe was the one who acted as if they didn't need The Rock by letting his contract expire without offering a new deal. Maybe it was a way to try to move on from his since he would no longer be around full time.

I just find it ironic fans are the ones making up all the reasons why Rock isn't around when Rock hasn't even talked about.

Rock talking about wrestling on mainstream circuit doesn't really matter because he is not in the company. What would he be talking about, but some just assume it has to be Rock trying to distance himself from wrestling. He is not in any of the storylines, but if something comes along where he may fit in he does his little part such as WM 23's build up when he commented on the battle of the billionaires match. John Cena was on Jay Leno last week and didn't even mention Mania or his title match, yet fans aren't saying he is trying to distance himself from wrestling.

I just deep down think the majority of fans just miss The Rock and deal with his absence with different views on his new career choice. Either by accepting the harsh reality he is gone for good with saying he is separating himself from wrestling or other group of people feeling The Rock may get that itch again to come back to wrestling.

The Rock was getting stale which is why he turned heel in his last run, but time has passed on people miss what he brought to the game. Just because he doesn't talk or involve himself with wrestling doesn't mean he doesn't have the same love for it anymore. Then again, I'm assuming and trying to speak for The Rock just like everyone else is doing.

The Rock seems to be silent about this and I respect him for that because he is politely showing respect to the current roster by not snubbing it and he is respecting his fans by not snubbing them either.

Until he speaks on this I think it's fair to say no one really knows what's in Rock's head.



[Edited on 4-1-2009 by promoter2003]


MOD: Please don't double quote

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.






Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 4-1-2009 at 05:14 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
Now I don't know how everyone just picked up that none of this is obvious to me when all I did was comment on someone's fantasy(emphasis on the word fantasy) booking and I gave an opinion on what I thought was a good idea. Not even saying it was plausible of happening.

Gonna go out on a limb and say nobody picked up on it because your entire commentary in this thread, up until that point, consisted of three one-line sentences that didn't express anything remotely related to this massive follow-up point you just typed.


quote:
Thank you for your opinion, but you missed my whole point and actually proved my point.

Glad I could help you out there, Benjamin Button, but for future your past reference, nobody has any fucking clue how disagreeing with three vacant lines of text proves your point (it didn't) until you later actually explain it and then claim you were making it all along. Sort of like when you do this:

quote:
NOW here is what I THINK ABOUT THIS.

in post #3 and reply #2 in the thread.

[Edited on 4-1-2009 by Stone Cold Steve Autism]





Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW






Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: Grieving

posted on 4-1-2009 at 06:27 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoter2003
Until he speaks on this I think it's fair to say no one really knows what's in Rock's head.

Personally I think its 100% reasonable and fair to draw a natural conclusion based on the guy's actions. If he distances himself as much as he can from wrestling without upsetting fans and doesn't come close to wrestling for 5 years except to honor his father and grandfather in a once in a lifetime event... then I think its reasonable for us all to assume he's gone and wants to be.

This isn't Austin coming back now and then and his best friend who is a high ranking WWE official suggesting he has one match left in him as long as its the right one. This isn't Hogan and his back and forth relationship with Vince that allows them to hate each other one day and make up the next because the money's right. This isn't Randy Savage who has been blackballed from WWE. Its a dude who has voluntarily distanced himself gradually over 7 years or so and who has made about as polite a clean break as any dumped lover could hope for. He doesn't want to be a jerk and tell us that he's moved on... but come on. Any fair assessment shows that he HAS and any reasonable fan should admit that for him to come back would be a backwards step that does him no good.

And his actions suggest he knows exactly that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll


go to top


Powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final SP1
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group
Processed in 0.1071010 seconds, 21 queries