The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Favorite DVD's
maestrom4
Banned

Posts 112
Registered 2-7-2002
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 10-15-2002 at 09:57 PM Edit Post
Favorite DVD's

What's everybodys favorite DVD's?

I like the simpsons ones. They've got commentary by the shows writers about each episode. I've got the James Bond set coming next week. Can't wait.

stillgreat1
And I am AWESOME

Posts 196
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Land of 10,000 playoff losses

Mood: Done studying!

posted on 10-16-2002 at 03:21 AM Edit Post
Now you're opening a big question. It really depends on what you're looking for. All around, I'm going to have to go with Fight Club. A great commentary and a better movie, along with cool features make this my overall fave.
Other really good ones are Mallrats (the commentary is the best, even though it is Kevin Smith's worst movie, although seeing the deleted scenes makes it understandable why it wasn't better), the Toy Story boxed set, the Godfather series, the James Bond Series (you'll love it), Rushmore - Criterion Collection, The Matrix, Austin Powers, The Princess Bride, and Gladiator. All are either great movies (with great transfers), have good commentary, or good extras. There are plenty more, so you may be hearing from me again.

DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 10-16-2002 at 04:15 AM Edit Post
My favorite DVD is Oz Season One. Oz is one of my favorite DVDs and the commentary was pretty good. I can't wait `til the season two DVD comes out in January.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 10-16-2002 at 02:52 PM Edit Post
wow, that's a tough one. as far as extras, transfer, audio, etc, here are my favorites, in no order:

1. fight club
2. clerks/mallrats/chasing amy are all tied
3. Harry potter (yeah, yeah, i know... good extras though)
4. The abyss
5. T2
6. 10 volume Best of the Muppet Show set
7. Sopranos seasons 1-3
8. Simpsons season 2
9. The 4-disc lord of the rings set comes out next month... i'm ALL over that

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 10-16-2002 at 04:15 PM Edit Post
Dennis, hell yeah on Oz. It's just too bad they didn't have commentary for every episode... they could have at least brought in actors other than Beecher. I mean, Said, Schillinger, there's tons of them I would be interested in hearing. Or even different writers/producers like the Simpsons did.
Also, the Godfather set was awesome. And American Pie 2 did a pretty good job with like 4 different commentary tracks. Shit, there's a million of them, I'm sure we could all go on and on.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7800
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-16-2002 at 04:44 PM Edit Post
One of my pesonal "new" favorites is Monsters, Inc. if for no other reason then "Mike's New Car". Good stuff there.

The Kevin Smith flicks all have kickass commentary, and set the standard for that aspect of extras.

Shrek has some cool aspects as well.

But in the end, I think the best DVDs are the one with the really good movies on it. I have "What About Bob?" on DVd and it has nothing extra...yet it's still one of my favorite DVDs.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-16-2002 at 10:52 PM Edit Post
1. Fight Club
2. Seven
3. Godfather trilogy
4. Simpsons season 2
5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I can't wait for the 4 disc Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring special edition to come out. Next month, I believe. That'll be nuts.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
masterofpigeons
And I am AWESOME

Posts 130
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Montreal

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 10-18-2002 at 03:16 AM Edit Post
ah

The Fight Club Special Edition DVD set wins it hands down overall... awesome extras and a great movie make it very worthwhile...

Honorable Mention goes to the utterly confusing yet very complete Memento Special Edition DVD set, as well as the Kevin Smith films, which have some of the best commentaries around. Se7en's another great buy, The Sixth Sense was a cool set, and Mulholland Drive was good... it had no special features whatsoever... but it did have a card with clues... clues that still baffle me... BAH!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   masterofpigeons 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
DennisIsEvil
Showstopper

Posts 631
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 10-18-2002 at 10:48 AM Edit Post
I wanna get one of the Reservoir Dogs 10th Anniversary DVDs. Maybe I'll make a trip to the mall over the weekend and get one.

Timmy
Showstopper

Posts 751
Registered 5-22-2002
Location Eastbourne, UK

Mood: Touchy

posted on 10-18-2002 at 11:34 AM Edit Post
The UK version of Snatch - tons of extras and loads of hidden ones too. Very good - especially the swearing montage hidden on the second disk.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 10-18-2002 at 03:45 PM Edit Post
MOP, Memento was a great movie, but i almost threw my remote at the tv while trying to figure out the menus.

oh, i forgot to mention the hitchcock collection dvds. i have north by northwest and rear window, and they are really good. great transfer (considering what the original prints look like these days), and good extras. each has a 45 minute documentary with, well, everyone thats still alive from those movies. really interesting if you're a film buff. i'm not really these days, but they're still fun.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-18-2002 at 04:59 PM Edit Post
If you want to get into some older movies, Citizen Kane and the Maltese Falcon both have very nice sets of extras considering how old the movies are... obviously some work put into them. Doesn't hurt that you get to watch two of the greatest movies ever in mint(ish) condition.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 10-18-2002 at 05:33 PM Edit Post
what extras are on the maltese falcon dvd? i have a crappy old copy on vhs. its one of my favorites.
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-18-2002 at 06:41 PM Edit Post
- trailers of Humphery Bogart (Sam Spade is so fucking cool), it's a documentary on Bogart thru trailers of his films
- "History of Mystery"
a couple of trailers for the film too

It's not a whole lot of different stuff, but it's unique enough to be worth picking up the DVD IMO

stillgreat1
And I am AWESOME

Posts 196
Registered 2-8-2002
Location Land of 10,000 playoff losses

Mood: Done studying!

posted on 10-19-2002 at 02:58 AM Edit Post
If you want to get into older movie DVDs, I would have to go with the special edition of Lawrence or Arabia. While it tends to get a bit long at points, the cinamatography is some of the best ever. And you have to remember that there was no such thing as "special effects" when they made this, and it makes the movie that much better.
Also, I remembered two more I forgot to mention last time. One, the Nightmare on Elm Street Boxed set (while some of the last movies suck, they are still fun to watch, and the extras disk, while packed, is great if you have time). Two, Almost Famous collectors edition with the aditional scenes. I loved the movie before, but the new scenes added even more.

New Topic New Poll

go to top