The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The Wrestler trailer
Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 11-21-2008 at 05:30 PM Edit Post
The Wrestler trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/thewrestler/
Looks promising.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 11-21-2008 at 06:02 PM Edit Post
That looks totally fucking outstanding.

Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8686
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 11-21-2008 at 06:10 PM Edit Post
I watched it three times and nearly cried.

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7586
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-21-2008 at 06:43 PM Edit Post
I just watched the trailer last night and indeed, it looks pretty fucking great.

And on a random sidenote, did anyone else know that Nicholas Cage was originally slated for the role, but ended up having to turn it down (I think due to scheduling conflicts or something like that)?

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 11-21-2008 at 07:34 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by borntorun
I watched it three times and nearly cried.

Me too, but it was because of Mickey Rourke's face.

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8686
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 12-17-2008 at 12:23 AM Edit Post
For anyone who liked the trailer and the song in the trailer, you can hear the whole thing at Springsteen's myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/brucespringsteen

Nothing about wrestling in the song but it certainly looks to match the tone and theme of the movie.

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 12-17-2008 at 06:52 PM Edit Post
What a bummer... I was hoping to see this today, but the closest place it's playing is Hollywood, which is 60 miles away. Hopefully it gets released into more theatres in a few weeks.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 12-19-2008 at 12:41 AM Edit Post
Here's the release schedule:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/09/the-wrestler-release-date-schedule/

I won't get to see it until January 23rd, Unless I want to road trip up to DC in late December. Difficult, as I'll be in Florida...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3075
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 12-25-2008 at 09:36 AM Edit Post
I've seen snippets of it online, and it looks fantastic. We also get Marisa Tomei in near full-frontal stripping, which is just icing.

Vince McMahon apparently HATES this movie.

drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 12-26-2008 at 01:29 AM Edit Post
I just got back from a showing of the movie in San Francisco and thought that I'd throw up a few comments. The theater was packed and it looks like all of the showings (about one per hour) and they were all selling out. The movie is really excellent. It's longish, but the pacing is so good that it never drags. Everyone in the movie is very good and Rourke is really exceptionally good. There's an incredibly bloody match towards the middle of the movie that is actually really tough to watch even if you are (maybe especially if you are) a fan of hardcore wrestling. I almost felt it was up there with The Passion of the Christ in terms of how showed and forced the viewer to confront the violence of the act. Marissa Tomei does indeed have several extended stripping scenes which are a pleasure to watch from a purely purient position. There's also a very interesting way in which her and Rorke's characters mirror each other, but never quite manage to connect with each other. I'd also recommend you not read too many reviews before you see the movie. Mick Foley's review over on Slate spoiled a bunch of it for me, but it was still a really powerful movie.
btrain87
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 4-16-2005
Location Fairborn, OH

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2008 at 07:15 AM Edit Post
just watched it.

what a flick, let me tell you. The hardcore match was absolutely brutal to watch. I saw a few cameos. R Truth and Blue Meanie is what i recall. Not sure who he reminds me of the most, seemed like a washed up HBK the most to me.

there are some links to stream it if anybody is interested. u2u me.

Originally posted by nOOb
As poorly spelled as that e-mail was, I cannot help but have my interest drawn. I hate you btrain.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   btrain87 's Aim
mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 12-29-2008 at 01:14 PM Edit Post
One of the best movies that I've seen in a while. I think the character kind of mirrors HBK, Hogan, and maybe a little Flair in there too. It is not the typical romantic/inspirational like Rocky, but there are some similarities. The hardcore guy is clearly a nod to Terry Funk and I wonder why they didn't just get the real deal. The movie makes you feel for the guys out there trying to work when they only know how to do one thing well. I think the movie could very easily appeal to a wider audience than just wrestling fans. I always wanted to see Marissa Tomei (sp?) strip since the days of 'A Different World' although I did feel somewhat crestfallen in the scene where the young customers were calling her old. I don't think she'll ever get old...she's one of the only white girls that I like Anyhow, check out the movie on the interweb if all else fails, it's worth it.
Biff_Manly
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1143
Registered 6-16-2006

Mood: Ridiculous

posted on 12-29-2008 at 01:27 PM Edit Post
Saw this tonight via download. It's not your typical movie that is for sure. Mickey Roarke was fantastic as Randy The Ram. You really end up feeling for the poor bastard. And pulling for him no matter how he screws things up. I am going to have to watch it again to see how it holds up but I will be thinking about the movie all day.

On the wrestling front. I saw nothing wrong with the depiction. Usually there is something in a movie that comes off not right but not in this case everything worked.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7962
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2008 at 06:41 PM Edit Post
Saw the movie over the weekend as well in NYC. I think it was exceptional and the acting from the 3 main characters (Rourke, Tomei, and Wood) was beyond great. One of my friends had an issue with the locker room scene, but I think it was necessary and probably realistic that that kind of stuff does go on in every independent locker room, and used to go on in the major locker rooms as well.

I don't get the HBK comparison at all or Hogan or Flair because as far as I know all three of those guys are still filthy rich, living in mansions, and could/have worked the big time recently. Randy "The Ram" Robinson is more along the lines of possibly a Greg Valentine, Iron Sheik, etc. without a bit more success in his prime. Basically he's a guy who was main eventing in MSG and now he's working in front of 200 people. If anyone can name the last time HBK wrestled in front of 200 people, I'll buy that comparison.

Now my fault with the movie is that I'm not sure it has rewatchability. It's just too depressing for me to see it on television in the future and go, "hey I wonder what part it's on." It'll be tough to sit through that movie again and I almost had a tough time sitting through the ROH show I went to after the movie knowing what could happen to a few of those guys. It's a dark, depressing tale of the wrestling business I think. But it was exceptionally done from writing, acting, pacing, and all the technical aspects.

Def. go see it if you get the chance.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
btrain87
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 4-16-2005
Location Fairborn, OH

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2008 at 07:45 PM Edit Post
Dev, a washed-up HBK. Ram used the super kick and top rope move combo. The same kinda hair/tan/tights and even showed off the tat of jesus.

If hbk hadn't cleaned himself up/ gotten off the drugs/rock and roll lifestyle, wouldn't it be feasible that he could have turned out like Ram?

....Like a Fireman.

Originally posted by nOOb
As poorly spelled as that e-mail was, I cannot help but have my interest drawn. I hate you btrain.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   btrain87 's Aim
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7962
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-29-2008 at 10:52 PM Edit Post
But it's feasible a lot of guys COULD turn out that way. HBK just doesn't seem like the right person since I don't know if ever even came close to having to work an indy show.

I mean, I guess if you highlight certain aspects of The Ram, you could pretty much compare him to any wrestler. My friend tried to compare him to CZW owner John Zandig and I laughed at him because it made no sense to me. But to him, there are a few similarities I guess.

That fireman thing...I couldn't fucking stop laughing.

One of the coolest things about this movie is that I'm sitting there and watching it going "I've been there, seen that, know where that it." Hell, I used to go to Cheeques every so often because one of the girls I worked with in a restaurant had a second job bartending there. I was at the ROH show when they filmed the Ram/Ayatollah match. I was at the JAPW show when the Ram just went to see a show.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
drmuerto
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1427
Registered 11-17-2005
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood: PhDeceased

posted on 12-30-2008 at 10:54 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
That fireman thing...I couldn't fucking stop laughing.

That part was hilarious. I think that one of the success of the movie is that it has a way of balancing the overarching tragedy of the story with some really sweet lighthearted moments that make the Ram a good guy. The fireman part is a one, but there are other like when he plays with the neighborhood kids after sleeping in his van, his interaction with customers after he takes the deli job, and the conversation he has with Tommy Rotten before their match. I keep going back to thinking about the movie as a sort of version of the Greek tragedies.

I kept seeing The Ram as a Jake The Snake Roberts, and I'm sure that the parts of Beyond the Mat that featured Roberts served as the basic template for The Wrestler.

The Riot Act
Hot, Spicy, ICHIBAN!!!

Posts 1659
Registered 7-31-2006
Location Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2009 at 12:18 PM Edit Post
Just to clear up the debate a bit, supposedly he was based on Jerry Lynn.
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7962
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2009 at 07:25 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Riot Act
Just to clear up the debate a bit, supposedly he was based on Jerry Lynn.

You're an idiot. First, the outline of the movie had been around for a few years and I'm not sure when Jerry Lynn was ever a star.

Second, the actual Jerry Lynn connection is that Ring of Honor is planning on using The Wrestler as a guideline for Lynn's new character. Not the other way around.

Third, we all know you stopped watching during the drug scene when you realized your last shipment was late.

Fourth, smiley

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2511
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 1-6-2009 at 09:20 PM Edit Post
Bobby Dempsey makes his Hollywood debut! The world will never be the same.
(he was in the backstage scene at the ending ROH show... also D-Lo is in this as well, doing a frog splash to boot)

This was a pretty good flick. Felt like I was watching Jake the Snake self destruct. I liked how it made a point to show how stuck in the past he was. From the NES, to the music, to the naive idea he had of what it is to fight Necro Butcher in a hardcore match, you couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. Then again he left his daughter hanging and decided to climb the ropes at the end... kind of a dick.

[Edited on 1-6-2009 by BBMN]

The Riot Act
Hot, Spicy, ICHIBAN!!!

Posts 1659
Registered 7-31-2006
Location Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2009 at 04:20 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano

Third, we all know you stopped watching during the drug scene when you realized your last shipment was late.

Fourth, smiley

How sad is it that my first thought during the injection scene was "OMFG~! HE DIDN'T ASPIRATE!!"?

HBKING
Showstopper

Posts 634
Registered 1-2-2003
Location The Blue! state of Indiana

Mood: brings a ruckus

posted on 1-9-2009 at 03:29 AM Edit Post
Saw this on a bootleg last night. Pretty good. Like many here I thought of Jake the most. Also reminded me of Eddie Guerro a bit and I can definitely see the "coulda been HBK if he didnt clean himself up" theory.

Even my girlfriend, who has little to zero knowledge or interest in or of wrestling really liked it. Though she wasn't so keen on the hardcore match, the bloody deli scene or the Marissa stripping scenes.

I would be shocked to find out nobody involved has never seen beyond The Mat or Wrestling With Shadows. Particularly Beyond the Mat had to have had some sort of influence here. The way this movie was shot I felt like I was watching a sequel to that doc.

It's good, it's not unbelievably fantastic, I think the hype on this and on Rourke is starting to get a bit out of control but nonetheless it's definitely worth seeing.

[Edited on 1-9-2009 by HBKING]

"On what planet do you spend most of your time?"

--Barney Frank, responding to a Health Care Reform protester comparing President Obama's policies to those of Adolf Hitler

The Riot Act
Hot, Spicy, ICHIBAN!!!

Posts 1659
Registered 7-31-2006
Location Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2009 at 07:59 PM Edit Post
I just watched this again today and bawled my goddamn eyes out just as much as I did the first time I saw it. I can honestly say that no film has ever affected me as much as this, likely due to my choice of profession.

Some people have complained about the ending, but I have no problem with it? The fans were all he had and he refused to give them anything less than his best. It was beautiful and left his fate open to interpretation.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7962
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2009 at 11:36 PM Edit Post
I'll be nice and just say I disagree about the ending being open for interpretation. I think it's pretty clear what happens in that ring in that match.
The Riot Act
Hot, Spicy, ICHIBAN!!!

Posts 1659
Registered 7-31-2006
Location Canada

Mood:

posted on 1-11-2009 at 12:20 AM Edit Post
You? Be nice? Wow, I'm genuinely shocked.

I don't know about the ending, though. Foley thinks it all works out in the end, I'm undecided and you think he died. I'd say that's pretty much open to interpretation.

[Edited on 1-11-2009 by The Riot Act]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top