The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Red Dragon
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2002 at 04:52 AM Edit Post
Red Dragon

Worlds and worlds superior to Hannibal, in case anyone was going to snub Red Dragon because of that crapfest. It wasn't quite as good as Silence of the Lambs, although I may feel that way out of sentimental reasons. Edward Norton is quickly becoming the Ric Flair of Hollywood (in other words, he's THE MAN), Anthony Hopkins is always fun, and Ralph Fiennes held his own. Good movie

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

masterofpigeons
And I am AWESOME

Posts 130
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Montreal

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 10-10-2002 at 07:33 PM Edit Post
agreed

Edward Norton is definitely becoming one of the best around - and what's most stunning is that he's amazingly believable in all of the roles he plays - and those roles are incredibly diverse.

But to me, the Red Dragon movie was MADE by the title character - The Red Dragon himself. Ralph Fiennes gave an incredible performance as the deranged "Tooth Fairy", and I thought that was one of the best aspects of the film.

And... of course... we have no choice but to compare to Silence of the Lambs... I'm wary to say that either is better, but I do believe if Red Dragon had been released as the first movie... then maybe IT would be remembered as the greatest of the trilogy, and not Silence... but nonetheless, those are two very, very, worthwhile movies.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   masterofpigeons 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
rtdragon87
And I am AWESOME

Posts 164
Registered 1-5-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 10-14-2002 at 06:03 PM Edit Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Red Dragon was on the same level of Silence of the Lambs myself. The first one was superior in how they presented Hannibal Lecter. At the beginning there was a mystery that surrounded Lecter, people calling him a monster, the nickname. The security precautions: soft paper, felt tipped pins, and all objects sealed to the floor. When we finally saw him he wasn't a wild-eyed lunatic but instead calmly stood there with a grin. To me that was one of the things that made SOTL so great.

You'll also notice that you can see the above techniques used in Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects.

New Topic New Poll

go to top