The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTA IV
Joeldacat
Showstopper

Posts 760
Registered 9-10-2002
Location Savannah, GA

Mood: PK Fired Up

posted on 4-30-2008 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
GTA IV

I don't have an Xbox 360, I don't have a PS3. I want this badly, and evilly, Uncle Sam just put $600 in my bank account.

I need the funds for other things, but man, what temptation. Anyone got it and want to tease me even more with their experience so far?

EDIT: Sorry, Board Slowness made this thread post twice- mods- please help?

Thanks.

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by Joeldacat]

X-Box Live: Mr Whale Jr. Message me who you are, though!

When the plane full of wrestlers crashed in the Arctic, he became known as "Nourishing" Rick Rude.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 4-30-2008 at 11:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Stimulate the economy! Jack some motorists and kill some whores. It's your patriotic duty.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7762
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2008 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
GTA IV is the first game that I've ever seen get a perfect 10 out of 10 on both Gamespot and IGN (and IGN said it was the first 10 they've given since the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast way back in 1999).

[Edited on 5-1-2008 by the goon]

blackangus
rOOkie

Posts 25
Registered 3-1-2008
Location Louisville, Ky

Mood: Waiting.....

posted on 5-1-2008 at 02:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dude, the game is bad ass. I recommend it.

I like the girls with the full sweaters and pants..... wait, what? Ha Ha! Best of both worlds.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 5-1-2008 at 05:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been playing it for two days straight. Go buy it! It's amazing.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 5-1-2008 at 07:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It is probably the best game in the genre. I really enjoyed the PS2 GTAs and Saint's Row and Crackdown on 360, but this is the best. They have put a slight spin on everything that makes GTA great. The beer commercial on the radio and the Republican Space Rangers on TV and the myroom site on the internet are comedy gold, and they have nothing to do with the actual game. I watched the TV shows for like 20 or thirty minutes because they were so funny. Great game.
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 5-1-2008 at 04:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark markham
It is probably the best game in the genre. I really enjoyed the PS2 GTAs and Saint's Row and Crackdown on 360, but this is the best. They have put a slight spin on everything that makes GTA great. The beer commercial on the radio and the Republican Space Rangers on TV and the myroom site on the internet are comedy gold, and they have nothing to do with the actual game. I watched the TV shows for like 20 or thirty minutes because they were so funny. Great game.

Same here. When I first started the game, I spent like twenty minutes in the apartment just watching the TV. Haha, and yeah, Republican Space Rangers was an awesome show. I thought the razor commercial was pretty funny too, as well as the ad spots for America's Next Top Hooker.

Last night, I called Michelle up for a date. I picked her up in a police car that was so busted up it was pouring smoke from the hood. I took her to the bar and beat her at pool, then as I was driving her home, I carjacked another car... and she still fucked me when we got back to her place. I love funny situations like that.

Is everyone mad here?

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 5-1-2008 at 05:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like how they've disguised the fact your playing a video game too, with the more simple hud, and the way you can just get missions through your mobile, or ones where you have to arrange a meeting with someone later in week using the internet, then when that time comes, your organiser reminds you.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2008 at 07:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
GTA III changed my perception of open-ended gaming, and IV just did it again. I can't believe how much time I'm spending testing the limits of the game, finding all the pidgeons and jumps, and experimenting with the physics.

I love infiltrating the airport, getting four stars, attempting to escape, and actually living.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 5-14-2008 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just beat it...you know, it was good and all, but I think they can do better (hopefully they give Vice City and San Andreas this touchup too). My main gripe is that some of the missions were too linear with no freedom of choice. I mean, I'm chasing a guy via motorcycle and he runs into a car...so I start pouring bullets into his back and he doesn't die. But then we get to the designated point where he stops and he dies with considerably less bullets. I even fired a rocket launcher at the guy I had to kill in the final mission and all he did was fly into the wall and take a hail of bullets fired at him while kneeling. But sure enough, he died when I was allowed to kill him.

That kind of freedom is what this needed to be a perfect game...but it still is one of the best ever I suppose.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 5-18-2008 at 05:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I suppose most everyone has beaten it by now... so who picked deal, and who picked revenge?

Is everyone mad here?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 5-18-2008 at 11:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I picked Revenge. And the resulting final mission was kind of where I got pissed. I fired a rocket launcher at the last guy I was supposed kill and he just bashes up against the wall. I mean, it was cool to look at, but it was still pretty sucky I had to follow their path. And also, if you're going to give me a helicopter with guns, make it so I can actually blow the boat up instead of just following it and not dying.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 5-18-2008 at 11:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I chose revenge too.

Yeah, I agree. Not to mention that he started getting away on the boat and by the time I realized I was supposed to hop on the bike I got the "he got away" message, and had to start the whole fucking mission over again.

Also: I read what happens if you pick the deal instead of revenge, and in my opinion it's a MUCH stronger storyline, albeit way more tragic.

Is everyone mad here?

mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 5-23-2008 at 06:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess the 'revenge' ending is only really strong if you liked Kate. I preferred the other girls. I had 100% fondness from Kate and so far (even after completing the game) she hasn't given me any special ability or anything. The 'deal' ending does seem to be much stronger and more in line with the feel of the story. The ending did not change my very positive feeling for the game, but when all was said and done it did come pretty quickly and I didn't realize I was on my last story mission until I was getting the achievement. I still have many side missions and races to go, but I am most interested in future downloads.
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 6-5-2008 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/liberty_city_police_face

quote:
Liberty City Police Face Allegations Of Incompetence, Brutality

LIBERTY CITY—With the city in the midst of a record crime wave, concerned citizens claim the Liberty City Police Department has done little to prevent the constant car chases, ongoing gun battles, and overall atmosphere of violence that pervade the area.

"I used to feel safe in Liberty City, but lately, it's been total mayhem," said night-shift worker Lola Del Rio, who spoke to reporters while sucking nervously on a red lollipop. "In the past week alone, I've been carjacked twice, run over 10 times, and witness to a half-dozen gunfights that ended with automobiles exploding. What are the police doing to stop all this?"

Since the surge in crime, which began on April 28 at midnight, more than 830,000 civilians have been murdered—nearly one-tenth of Liberty City's total population. In addition, 35,000 vehicles have been reported stolen, many of which were then driven illegally over sidewalks and pedestrian walkways before plunging into the nearby Humboldt River. And according to startling figures released by local community action group Citizens for a Safer City, drug trafficking has become rampant and prostitution has increased by 800 percent.

"I was shot 14 times on my way to work today, including twice by police," said one Algonquin-area resident. "That is unacceptable."

Many blame the LCPD directly for the increase in criminal activity, citing the department's lax procedure for arresting criminals, which involves taking 10 percent of the suspect's money, confiscating his weapons, and simply releasing him from custody later that day. Outraged citizens say this is not enough, especially in a city where assault rifles can be found on factory roofs and grenade caches are located under the globe at the old World's Fair site.

"The police just let them go, and 20 minutes later they're shooting at the very same criminals from helicopters," veteran crime reporter Mike Whiteley said. "That is not proper law enforcement. We may be seeing a return to the bad old days of 2002, when the police, the FIB, and even Army tank battalions would leave countless bodies on the streets while attempting to capture just one man on some sort of joyful mass-destruction spree."

Perhaps even more alarming, city records indicate that more than 75 percent of perpetrators in mass-murder or vehicular-manslaughter cases escape, usually by simple methods such as driving into a car-repainting facility. Criminals have even eluded pursuit by walking into their apartment and going to bed for six hours, after which the search has been called off.

However, one LCPD official, who wished to remain anonymous, blamed the recent crime wave on the police department's lack of proper equipment.

"We are only equipped to pursue a suspect within a small radius on a very basic half-centimeter radar screen," the officer said. "If we were allowed to seek criminals who escaped this radius for more than 15 seconds, our results would improve dramatically."

"And to those who say the LCPD is too quick to resort to deadly force, remember that almost 850,000 police officers, FIB agents, and N.O.O.S.E. [National Office of Security Enforcement] team members have died in the line of duty in the past month," he added.

Nonetheless, residents say that their confidence in the Liberty City police force—low in the best of times—has eroded almost completely.

"I was buying a hot dog from a street vendor in Hove Beach yesterday when I saw someone run a red light, barrel down the sidewalk, careen into a garbage truck, exit his vehicle, steal a nearby convertible, and drive away," one Broker resident reported. "A nearby police car didn't even react. But when the car behind him nicked his fender, the officer shot the driver through the windshield and walked away."

"That is not the kind of law enforcement we want for our community," he added.

Most admit that the problem is not a lack of police presence, as the LCPD currently operates 15 different police stations throughout the city's four boroughs, and there is a seemingly infinite number of officers on duty at all times to respond to reported crimes. However, citizens say the officers' "shoot-first" mentality and willingness to accept bribes only contributes to the city's widespread violence and corruption.

"It's almost as if the cops in this town are as much an adversarial faction as the criminals," said public defender Kiki Jenkins, who is rumored to be instrumental in recent incidents of police being inexplicably pulled from chases and criminal pursuit. "Sure, we have excellent radio stations and an incredible range of things to see and do here. But if I were younger, I'd move to Mario World in a second."

Is everyone mad here?

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 6-5-2008 at 01:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is hil-harry-ass!!

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Belmont
And I am AWESOME

Posts 124
Registered 6-2-2008

Mood: Sick Sick Sick

posted on 6-6-2008 at 01:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
GTA IV is the first game that I've ever seen get a perfect 10 out of 10 on both Gamespot and IGN (and IGN said it was the first 10 they've given since the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast way back in 1999).

Same here. What did Soul Calibur do to merit a perfect score? I always thought of SC as just Tekken with swords.

Stone Cold Steve Autism
I did eat all the macaroni. I don't know how he knows.

Posts 2287
Registered 4-29-2008

Mood: Sparklee

posted on 6-6-2008 at 02:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Belmont
Same here. What did Soul Calibur do to merit a perfect score? I always thought of SC as just Tekken with swords.

And moves simple enough that losers could button mash through a round.

And a really gay voiceover after every round.

Chevy Chase has denied allegations of membership in the Proud Boys.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 6-10-2008 at 04:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Has anyone played much of the multiplayer missions? Deal Breaker and Bomb da Base II weren't all that hard, but I was only playing with one other person so they took a while to do. But Hangman's Noose was pretty fucking tough with only two people.

So... who else has a 360 and wants to try these out with me? Let's get a group going here.

[Edited on 6-10-2008 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-13-2008 at 03:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm a little behind the curve but I bought this about a month ago for PS3 and ho-lee SHIT. It is mindblowing how awesome it is. Easily one of the top-three games I've ever played. And playing it on an HD, the graphics are simply stunning.

The voice-acting and writing are top-notch. Niko's interactions with Roman and Brucie are a couple of the funniest things I've ever seen in a video game (or in any other form of media for that matter). Just the character of Brucie is fucking priceless. Who hasn't known someone in their life like him, who's obsessed with pussy and working out (obviously Brucie is that person turned up about 1,000 notches).

I haven't finished it yet so I skimmed over some of the posts above about the ending but I'm fuckin' loving it and can already tell that whenever I do finish it, I'll just be starting it over again and making different decisions to see where the game goes from there.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Belmont
And I am AWESOME

Posts 124
Registered 6-2-2008

Mood: Sick Sick Sick

posted on 11-18-2008 at 12:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The guy who made this video is my friend's brother. I think he raises some excellent points concerning GTA IV, be warned this video is =really pretentious=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKClJCtWpDg

My roommate played this game, so I followed along in blotches. If you watch the in-game television they do a satire of VH1's pseudo-documentaries of rich people, I thought it was the best satire of television I've ever seen. I gotta say that no video game characters have ever annoyed me like the McCreary's did. They're shallow and they don't make sense as a family. Packie and Niko's voices wore thin on me pretty quickly, too.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you're playing GTA IV on the 360, The Lost and Damned expansion came out two days ago. It's pretty good so far. Took me a while to get used to the controls since I haven't played the game in like six months. It's a hefty download (1.7 gigs), so there's a lot contained in it-- reviews are saying about ten hours worth of new missions.

There's a few small things so far I don't like-- I don't care for the way you replenish your health by keeping pace while riding with your gang, and I don't like that you HAVE to have your bike at almost all times... it pretty much limits vehicle choices. That said, the mission have been the standard GTA fun so far. I'd say it's worth the purchase.

Is everyone mad here?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

posted on 2-20-2009 at 06:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The only things preventing me from getting the expansion:

1) It's $20.
2) As good as GTA4 was (and is still), it came out quite a bit ago, I've already beaten it twice and can't seem to find interest in it for a third time.
3) Next week, Star Ocean comes out, the week after we get the Baseball games, and after that, we're irregularly getting some decent games. Add onto that the DLC coming for Fallout 3 that'll add even more replayability to it (no level caps, no permanent end), and that just leaves a big time constraint.

I don't know how they worked out the timing on this, but if this came out even at the beginning of this year/end of last year (which, apparently, it was supposed to), I'd definitely get it, but now is just not a good time to get sucked into an expansion that doesn't transfer over to the main game.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8324
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 2-20-2009 at 06:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Star Ocean looks awesome, I wanna play that one too. Not to mention SF IV just came out, and Halo Wars and Resident Evil 5 come out in the next couple weeks. Plus I still have a ton of games that were released in the last few months that I've not even played yet-- Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2, Call of Duty, etc.

Back to The Lost and Damned though...

I thought the $20 price tag was a bit high at first too, but trust me, it is an absolute steal at that price. They stuffed this expansion pack. 23 missions, new random character encounters, new races, 25 gang war side missions, 50 more birds to find and exterminate (seagulls this time around), new songs for the radio stations, new TV shows (a new episode of Republican Space Rangers!)... there's even a new comedian in the comedy club.

Trust me, it's worth it. If you find yourself bored and with $20 to spare, it's well worth getting.

Is everyone mad here?

Shao Khan
Showstopper

Posts 807
Registered 1-11-2006
Location Moab, Ut.

Mood: FOOTBALL!!!

posted on 9-2-2009 at 04:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know this thread is more aged that god, but just thought I'd point out that the final installment for the GTA 4 expansion packs comes out Oct. 29 for you Xbox360 fuckers. (I say that with jealousy because I haven't seen any DLC for PS3.)

It's apparently called "The Ballad of Gay Tony"

ETA: Did Rockstar get rid of the bugs that destroyed memory card files on PS2 when you enter cheats? Just curious, because I found the list of cheats from ign and I was just thinking of trying them out.

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by Shao Khan]

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by Shao Khan]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top